Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Save your money and go with the G9.

Hi, I'm considering a G10. Got to handle the demo model at the store yesterday. Very impressive. Not familiar with the G9. Seems that the G10's wider angle lens would be an advantage.

Please elaborate on your preference for the G9

thankx

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
If I was going to spend ~$500 on a camera, I'd pick up an Olympus e-420 or Nikon D40 kit long before I'd consider a G9 or G10...

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If I was going to spend ~$500 on a camera, I'd pick up an Olympus e-420 or Nikon D40 kit long before I'd consider a G9 or G10...

Unless you already had a DSLR and wanted a fully manual P&S to go a long with it that can use your existing hot shoe flash guns.

But in saying that, I'd still probably get a Ricoh GX200/GRII or Sigma DP1. Just suits my photography more.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
While I save up for a digital SLR (still very uncertain which way I'll go, DX of FX, etc), I was thinking of the G10 as a way to get started acquiring images , working with RAW. Then later, the G10 could be a handy 'backup' or 'pocket' camera.

The Sigma sensor is very intriguing. Haven't heard if the images from the DP1 are significantly better in color etc than other large-megapixel cameras. Also, lack of any zoom capability is what is mostly my concern about the DP1. Have you tried it ? thoughts?

anyway, didn't want start with $500 d-SLR and lenses, since I don't know if those lenses would work on whatever high-end camera I end up with.

-Qua

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
The G10 does RAW. I'm considering getting it to replace my G7. I don't have much need for RAW in a compact, but I could use the wide angle of the G10.

I do use RAW all the time with my SLR (Nikon D200), but I'm getting much better image quality there. I agree with others that Canon should have kept the MP count lower on the G10, considering the size of the sensor. I'd really like to have the best IQ I can get in a compact, and I think the sweet spot for IQ vs. print size would come around 8MP. Oh well... It's otherwise a great design.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
While I save up for a digital SLR (still very uncertain which way I'll go, DX of FX, etc), I was thinking of the G10 as a way to get started acquiring images , working with RAW. Then later, the G10 could be a handy 'backup' or 'pocket' camera.

didn't want start with $500 d-SLR and lenses, since I don't know if those lenses would work on whatever high-end camera I end up with.

I think you can save yourself $500 if you'd just work out which SLR you want. The SLR will have so much better quality ad handling than the G10 that you would only shoot the G10 whaen you needed something smaller and more portable. But the G10 is not the best if you want "small". Get one of those canon Elph models if you need small.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
That was my first strategy (put all my $ towards the nice d-SLR). But it may be awhile before I can get one. Not sure the ELF models would satisfy my craving.. but that is a good suggestion, which I'll consider

thanks!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I dont get it, how come Canon highest end P&S gets DiGiC4 whereas Canon entry level DSLR didn't come with DiGiC4, im still new to digital photography arena so my opinions will likely be wrong. Someone care to explain or is this some kind of marketing?

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I dont get it, how come Canon highest end P&S gets DiGiC4 whereas Canon entry level DSLR didn't come with DiGiC4, im still new to digital photography arena so my opinions will likely be wrong. Someone care to explain or is this some kind of marketing?

Well obviously the higher-end models need to be the first to get the latest processor.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
That was my first strategy (put all my $ towards the nice d-SLR). But it may be awhile before I can get one. Not sure the ELF models would satisfy my craving.. but that is a good suggestion, which I'll consider

thanks!

What I meant was that SLRs can be bought for less than the price of a G10. If you have the cash for the G10 then you can buy an SLR now.

gmilano

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
G10 and camera raw

anyone having trouble opening the raw images in photoshop? raw file will not open in camera raw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.