Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k.love

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Well i got my mac a week ago and love it now im addicted and now I am pondering the idea about getting the phone or mp3? What do you guys think?

k.love

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
exactly.. I just dont want to buy a ipod for 300 bucks and go crap i should have just bought the phone and had both. Basically i guess im wondering if the features on each might give me less problems

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Get the iphone. Once you realize how useful the iPod touch is for internet quick lookups, you'll want the 'internet in your pocket' 100% of the time. Only the iPhone can deliver that unless you live in a perpetual Wi-Fi cloud.

If your contract is up on your cellphone, it's time to step up to iPhone. You then have one device in your pocket.

I own an iPod touch, and as soon as my Verizon contract is over I'm switching. That day. Right when the AT&T store opens.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone essentially. The iPhone 3G must be purchased with a monthly subscription service. It's basically the bill you have to pay every month for your cellphone. If you have a contract with another network besides AT&T (for US) you have to terminate the contract and sign on for AT&T. It's $70 a month, you get 450 minutes and unlimited data (internet access).

The iPod touch however, you pay upfront and there is no monthly service fee. Just think of the iPod touch as a regular iPod and the iPhone a cell phone. Both have the same exact features (generally speaking) but the iPod doesn't have the ability to call people or the gps chip.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
For me personally, I found the iPhone battery just didn't have the power to get me through the day if I used it to its full potential (I deal with a lot of e-mails during the day on my mobile device). For that reason, I've now got a separate cell phone and a 32GB iPod touch. I find splitting the work between the two devices suits me better.
However, if you are a lighter user then the iPhone is a fantastic device and does have the advantage that you only need to carry one thing around with you.
Ultimately, only you can make the decision which option suits your personal circumstances the best, but either device will serve you well :D

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
If you can afford it, might as well get the iPhone as you can use the Internet anywhere.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It's not about which one to buy? It's about what you need and are willing to pay for? If you want the iPhone then you have to decide if AT&T's rate plans will satisfy your needs? For me AT&T's plans weren't very good so I kept my T-Mobile account and bought an iPod Touch 2G. There's plenty of hotspots around so you will hardly lose out getting the iPod Touch. You pay one time (less any future major OS upgrades) and enjoy. With the iPhone, you can't even use any of the functions until it's activated and tied to a contract with a monthly service fee.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
you have to figure out what you want/need

the iphone has access anywhere you are (provided there's a signal/3g network/edge/wifi), with monthly payments for talk/internet usage.

the touch has access at wifi spots (depending on where you are can be almost everywhere or maybe just at home), with no payments but a higher upfront cost.

do some more research for yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.