PDA

View Full Version : Happy 20th Birthday!

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 24, 2004, 04:23 AM
The Macintosh turned 20 years old today,

The original Apple press release (http://library.stanford.edu/mac/primary/docs/pr1.html) from Jan 24, 1984 read:

"We believe that Lisa Technology represents the future direction of all personal computers," said Steven P. Jobs, Chairman of the Board of Apple. "Macintosh makes this technology available for the first time to a broad audience--at a price and size unavailable from any other manufacturer. By virtue of the large amount of software written for them, the Apple II and the IBM PC became the personal-computer industry's first two standards. We expect Macintosh to become the third industry standard."

According to one source "something big" is happening on Monday January 26th, 2004. Lower PowerMac inventories suggests possible updates to that line, but there are also hints at "something else"...

Less certain whispers, however, have spanned the range with Sat introductions, PowerMac, and iMac G5 rumors. More certain details will be posted as available.

alset
Jan 24, 2004, 04:24 AM
"Happy birthday to you..... Happy birthday to you....."

20 wonderful (well, I guess not all of them) years. Here's to 20 more!

Dan

TEG
Jan 24, 2004, 04:28 AM
I hope there is some cool thing going on at the Apple Stores around the US, like buttons, pins, and other not computing merchandise for sale.

TEG

P.S. Food Would also Be Good

narco
Jan 24, 2004, 04:33 AM
I hope the iMac G5 comes out so that all the rumors go away. After the powerbook update, we can start rumoring the G6.

MoparShaha
Jan 24, 2004, 04:36 AM
I'm literally beaming with pride right now. It almost brings tears to my eyes. I love Apple.

Other.au
Jan 24, 2004, 04:37 AM
Will there be a webcast?

This "something else" sounds so exciting.
G5 powerbooks - hehe.

Nah - probably just the G5 imac upgraded. What fun. =)

20 years of the Mac - 20 years of copying - and mac is still ahead. Lets hope that never changes. =)

gwuMACaddict
Jan 24, 2004, 04:39 AM
happy birthday!! :D

i'm excited about something new ;) :D

Sabenth
Jan 24, 2004, 04:46 AM
its my birtday and all i got was this fing louse i want a g5 Tshirt :(

Nah not my birtday but well done Mac for getting this far heres to another 20 years and a genuine imac g5 soon:D

johnnyjibbs
Jan 24, 2004, 04:49 AM
It's my mum's birthday today. She's visiting Amsterdam.

Happy Birthday Macintosh! Apple, here's to something good on Monday, eh?

CalfCanuck
Jan 24, 2004, 04:50 AM
Here's a recap of some of the early Mac history ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/01/24/MAC.TMP

wrldwzrd89
Jan 24, 2004, 04:56 AM
I'm happy about the Macintosh reaching 20. I wish Apple 20 more years of success with the Mac and Mac OS (we hope longer than that, though!). That's not all that has me excited, however. There are also rumors about one or more potential releases today or Monday. I'm hoping that one of the releases is the Rev. B PowerMac G5s (these I've been waiting for for a good while now), but it would also be nice to see something else updated, like the displays perhaps?

Phillip
Jan 24, 2004, 04:57 AM
happy b'day macintosh! :)

QuiteSure
Jan 24, 2004, 04:59 AM
The first modern pencils were manufactured in Nuremburg around 350 years ago. I'm expecting something big in around 150 years :D

http://www.pencils.com/history.html

agn
Jan 24, 2004, 05:09 AM
"I don't do .INI, .BAT, or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files. I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have a computer to do all that.
I have a Macintosh, not a hobby."

Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?

:p

Happy birhtday, old Mac... may you live another 2enty, and open gates and windows. :D

denjeff
Jan 24, 2004, 05:29 AM
i got this big rumor... in five years apple will be like 25 years old...

gelukkige verjaardag appel :)

(for those who don t understand this, learn some languages and maybe you ll come up to this)

Pseudonym
Jan 24, 2004, 05:31 AM
Happy birthday Mac.

Here's to the next 20 years:)

Squire
Jan 24, 2004, 05:38 AM
Wow. "Something big," eh? Interesting. I hope it's something big enough to keep these great machines around for another 20. And then another 20 after that.

Squire

Bonte
Jan 24, 2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by denjeff

En ook een gelukkige verjaardag van mijntwege. Kujegie brugs ooke verstoan? ;)

skidoo
Jan 24, 2004, 05:53 AM
We are the success of 20 years of Mac survival. We keep buying these overpriced machines.
We are bonded by a simple logo. A logo that portrays quality & innovation.
Well done Steve.
Well done Apple.
Well done you and I.

youngr40
Jan 24, 2004, 05:54 AM
I'll be raising a few glasses tonight to another 20 years tonight

Ali B
Jan 24, 2004, 06:14 AM
brugs westvlaams allemaal t zelfde!!!

GElukkige Verjaardag Apple

hoping for now on increasing marketshare from now 3% i guess to 90 precent within 20 years oh yah babby:D

MrSmith
Jan 24, 2004, 06:22 AM
Just to sully the waters a little...

How old is Microsoft, and what did they do/release on their last big anniversary? Or didn't anyone care/notice?

Dr. Distortion
Jan 24, 2004, 06:22 AM
According to one source "something big" is expected on Monday January 26th, 2004.

yeah, January 26th is my birthday, and I'm going to throw one hell of a party :P

-Dr. D.

splashman
Jan 24, 2004, 06:23 AM
Don't you know it's rude to post non-English on an English-speaker's forum?

Well, I'll show you. You're not the only ones who are bi-lingual!

Appy-hay irthday-bay oo-tay ac-may!

Yeah. That'll learn yuh. :)

denjeff
Jan 24, 2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Bonte

neje, ik klap gien vremde toale... ;) antwep represents :D

denjeff
Jan 24, 2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by splashman

it is, sorry, but my maternal language expresses much more my real feelings...

i ll never do it again
ik zal het nooit meer doen
je ne le ferai plus jamais
ich soll en nimmer machen
numquam faciam

Vonnie
Jan 24, 2004, 06:29 AM

*raises hand* I'm from Loppem, near Brugge

skidoo
Jan 24, 2004, 06:29 AM
Speak English What is that funny langauge you are speaking? I cant translate it to anything in Sherlock.

denjeff
Jan 24, 2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by skidoo
Speak English What is that funny langauge you are speaking? I cant translate it to anything in Sherlock.

dutch (in europe it now 1:30 PM)... but a bit dialected :) gelukkige verjaardag should be translatable, i suppose... :)

anyway, this goes about the birthday of the mac, so i suggest we stop speaking about our funny language...

happy b-day little thingie...

TheWereSloth
Jan 24, 2004, 06:40 AM
Maybe Apple is always this lazy, but it seems odd to me. If you look at all of the desktop and laptop offering in the apple store, NONE of them has any mention of Garageband. The iMac even has the old iLife graphic displayed (with only 4 puzzle pieces).

Is it just me or was iLife '04 supposed to start shipping with all new Macs? Seems to me they just aren't bothering to update the product profiles because a refresh is imminent.

How about refreshing the whole line for the Mac's 20th anniversary (except the Xserve and iPod obviously)? Evidence is purely circumstantial, but I don't think I've seen anything that would show this theory to be impossible either.

R-J
Jan 24, 2004, 07:09 AM
Yeah, Happy Birthday to Apple :D, may they continue revolutionising the way for computers, if not for us, but so that the Windows PC can start to copy and eventunally just give up! My sister is a little annoyed with me because its her birthday today too and Apple has stolen her thunder :p

R-J
Jan 24, 2004, 07:20 AM
Yeah, Happy Birthday to Apple :D, may they continue revolutionising the way for computers, if not for us, but so that the Windows PC can start to copy and eventunally just give up! My sister is a little annoyed with me because its her birthday today too and Apple has stolen her thunder :p

homeshire
Jan 24, 2004, 07:34 AM

i ll never do it again
numquam faciam

now this is my kind of post. however, please edit the (at least) one typo i see. (hint, das deutsche). :D

skidoo
Jan 24, 2004, 07:46 AM
stomme Nederlandse mackintosh gebruiker.

BenRoethig
Jan 24, 2004, 07:53 AM
Something else? 20-inch iMac with a 2.0 ghz G5 for the 20th anniversary. Sounds like something Steve would do.

pkradd
Jan 24, 2004, 07:53 AM
Something big on Jan 26? On a Monday? Apple usually sends out special invites to the press if they have something big and new. This has not happened... yet. Tuesday would seem more like the day for speed bumps or upgrades of existing products. Amazing how Apple's past history plays no role in making up rumors.
:(

hokka
Jan 24, 2004, 07:54 AM

Ogay ethay Igpay Atinlay!

[Go the Pig Latin!] hehehe...

http://users.snowcrest.net/donnelly/piglatin.html

Chaszmyr
Jan 24, 2004, 08:00 AM
The way I see it Apple has to atleast post a "Happy 20th anniversary, Macintosh" graphic on their website today - which they havent done yet, but its only 6am pst.

If Apple does this (which they will if there is no product announcement today), that will make a special 20th anniversary announcement on monday too late... So it wouldnt happen.

So I say we will either see something big today (Saturday) or something small (Such as a powermac speed bump) no sooner than tuesday

VIREBEL661
Jan 24, 2004, 08:02 AM
I wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my beloved Mac also! I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a similar celebration 20 years from now! Can't wait to see what the big suprise is...

kansast
Jan 24, 2004, 08:04 AM
what I find interesting... or sad, not sure which... I worked at a small company some 20 years ago. We got one of those first Macintosh computers released. Before that I had an Apple II at home to play with.. I took to that Macintosh like a fish to water. All seemed so natural. Went on to work at a Typography shop where we hooked up a Macintosh SE with PageMaker and Adobe Illustrator to a RIP and was the first in our area to do Desktop Pubilshing. our shop grew to be a full service Print shop with 4-color presses, and we did 4-color scans on our Quadra computers and a Drum Scanner. I did that for 10 years. And for the past 8 years I've been working for an Internet Provider, where I do all my programming on a Macintosh. The Macs have kept me employed for the last 20 years.. WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN :-)

aethier
Jan 24, 2004, 08:06 AM
Happy Birthday,

So Macintosh, what type of upgrades did you get for your birthday?

aethier

kansast
Jan 24, 2004, 08:06 AM
Bring Back e-World !!!! :-)

I was there, got me an official Beta Tester t-shirt :-)

Here's to another 20 years.. and then some.

phillymjs
Jan 24, 2004, 08:12 AM
To mark the occasion of the Mac's 20th, CNN (http://www.cnn.com/) is running a poll: Are you a Mac fan or a PC person? (I guess you can't really be a "fan" of the PC, but IMHO "sheep" would have been a better noun :-)

Anyway, as of this writing the Mac only has 7%. Guys, you know what to do.

~Philly

Jan 24, 2004, 08:14 AM
14%... MORE VOTES

brooklyn
Jan 24, 2004, 08:14 AM

i ll never do it again
numquam faciam

Translation: I bought a computer that I thought was an Apple. When I got home I realize that the computer had a Banana instead of an Apple as the logo. There is no G5 and when I turn it on I see the words Windows XP and then a Blue screen. Please Help!

contempt
Jan 24, 2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah, everybody get on that poll ASAP! It's on the bottom right of the home page. There's only 560+ votes so we can do it. That could be our bday present to Apple. Letting them have more than 5% marketshare in a poll!

Jan 24, 2004, 08:19 AM
15%...

phillymjs
Jan 24, 2004, 08:23 AM
I thought if nothing else they'd have a nice graphic (maybe the original Mac sporting a party hat or something), on Apple.com to mark the day.

Nope. Still flogging iPod Minis and iLife on the front page.

~Philly

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 24, 2004, 08:25 AM
its now 15% thanks i went ahead and voted.:)

mahermusic
Jan 24, 2004, 08:26 AM

Nicky G
Jan 24, 2004, 08:28 AM
I think it's a good day to reflect on why we all love these machines so much. Not many machines command our interest to the degree that Macintosh computers do.

Apple is a company, and as such, is tasked with making money for their shareholders. Nobody here can deny that. And these days, Apple is doing pretty darn well at doing that, especially for the economy being so sluggish.

But there IS more to Apple than that, and anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or overly cynical.

I believe that Apple is a company that _actually_ cares about empowering its customers. It seems as if this has always been the guiding principle, at least during Apple's Steve Jobs years. This is a company that has tremendous pride in the work that they do. And this all stems from their genuine desire to give average people cutting edge tools that extend our ability to communicate, share ideas, emotions, information...

There are a lot of pretty twisted megacorps out there, who think of their customers as numbers, units, mindless automatons who simply consume. These companies would dump straight poison into the water supply if it would save them some money (sometimes this literally occurs).

I sincerely believe that Apple is nothing like this, for the most part. Yes, they sometimes make mistakes -- but the company, and its leadership, are fundamentally on the side of their customers. And in this day and age, that is special. This is what Wall Street will never understand about Apple -- because Wall Street is incapable of thinking in these terms.

whooleytoo
Jan 24, 2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by brooklyn
Translation: I bought a computer that I thought was an Apple. When I got home I realize that the computer had a Banana instead of an Apple as the logo. There is no G5 and when I turn it on I see the words Windows XP and then a Blue screen. Please Help!

Your translation power are a little off.. That doesn't say banana, it says lemon!
:D

Jonnod III
Jan 24, 2004, 08:32 AM
Well, I'm kind of hoping there's a G5 upgrade (and Cinema Screen too) as my order with Apple Store UK is nearly two months old now...

With reference to your recent order, we apologise for the delay that you have experienced in receiving this order. We plan to ship your order on or before January 26th.

This delay is due to a stock constraint...

This is after planned shipment dates of 2 Jan, 14 Jan and 21 Jan (I think - memory is a bit hazy)

Though it could be becasue they haven't sorted out the European distribution properly and are still satisfying back orders that were promised delivery before Xmas...

ctshortbus
Jan 24, 2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by skidoo
We are the success of 20 years of Mac survival. We keep buying these overpriced machines.
We are bonded by a simple logo. A logo that portrays quality & innovation.
Well done Steve.
Well done Apple.
Well done you and I.

Well said - and yes, they can tend to be overpriced compared to the DELLs that they're practically giving away in vending machines now :p "Hey, it's $500, it has to be a good computer!"

Stewie
Jan 24, 2004, 08:36 AM
I hope that there are not any new iMac updates, considering the new iMac I ordered is supposed to be delivered on the 26th. I guess I will leave it in the box until I hear what the big surprise is.:confused:

Jan 24, 2004, 08:39 AM
16%!

virividox
Jan 24, 2004, 08:40 AM
new powermac updates!!! pleeeeze

Sonofhaig
Jan 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
Happy Birthday! You look beautiful at 20, and can't wait to see you at 30. The PC has nothing on you my beautiful! I love you. You've given me everything I have now in my life. And now you've brought sweet music into my life.
Thank you for my carreer. Thank you for allowing me to work on you at the office and at home. I'll always love you Macintosh.

brownreese
Jan 24, 2004, 08:46 AM
Back to the subject at hand. The Macintosh became my personal Rosetta Stone in 1984. It was what I was looking for my entire life. I finally had a way to express my creative thoughts visually. Yeah, I had to suffer with DOS as a consultant with Arthur Andersen, but the Mac was the paradigm crash that changed my life. I bought the original 128K Mac, upgraded my memory to 512 (for $1000) when the "Fat Mac" was released, added a $1500 "HyperDrive" hard disk with 5 MB of storage and snuck my stealth weapon into the client's site and created quite the stir when the "PC Center" (remember when corporations only had a pool of PC's usually held hostage under the direction of an IBM bigot who thought DOS was for real men?) received a flood of requests to be able to replicate my desktop publishing.

The PC Center manager complained to the CIO and orders came down to get rid of me because I was disturbing the PC Center with work that couldn't be replicated on DOS machines. Fortunately my project manager just hid me so my Mac was out of direct site by their employees. Now, I sit here with my Dual G5 humming, my iPod croaning, my wireless network buzzing. Just when I think it can't get any better than this, Apple pushes the boundaries even further. Happy Birthday, my little friend. It's been one hell of a joy ride over the 20 years.

Grimace
Jan 24, 2004, 08:47 AM
it's nice to share my own birthday with the Mac. We rule.

Pipian
Jan 24, 2004, 08:47 AM
There is no more 20th anniversary of the macintosh link on the front page?

happo
Jan 24, 2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Jonnod III
Well, I'm kind of hoping there's a G5 upgrade (and Cinema Screen too) as my order with Apple Store UK is nearly two months old now...

Mine took 9 weeks! Apple Store Europe rules! Well, I got the dual 1.8 G5 instead of single proc one I originally ordered, so I'm pretty satisfied after all. Good luck - hope that it turns out same to you too :)

PS. Come on with those Cinema Display updates - have a pile of Euros waiting to be exchanged to a new 20" widescreen LCD.

Kermit
Jan 24, 2004, 09:00 AM
Grattis pĺ födelsedagen Macintosh! Jag hoppas att det blir minst lika mĺnga roliga ĺr till. Varma hälsningar frĺn Sverige!

Chaszmyr
Jan 24, 2004, 09:07 AM
7:00am pst has come and gone with no changes to Apple.com :-(

zync
Jan 24, 2004, 09:07 AM

(for those who don t understand this, learn some languages and maybe you ll come up to this)

I have learned other languages and in all of them proper names remain proper :) so shouldn't it be "Apple" and not appel?

Photorun
Jan 24, 2004, 09:11 AM
It'd be a first of Apple to announce or do anything on a Saturday, media whores that they are. But I'll await Monday with baited breath (whatever the hell that means).

And to those throwing out language, Fermez l'enfer! (or something like that).

scat999999
Jan 24, 2004, 09:11 AM
I just bought another one this week. 3rd Mac since Sept.!

dennis88
Jan 24, 2004, 09:14 AM
It's weird that the first page on apple.com says nothing about the 20th anniversery...

Photorun
Jan 24, 2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by brownreese

The PC Center manager complained to the CIO and orders came down to get rid of me because I was disturbing the PC Center with work that couldn't be replicated on DOS machines. Fortunately my project manager just hid me so my Mac was out of direct site by their employees. Now, I sit here with my Dual G5 humming, my iPod croaning, my wireless network buzzing. Just when I think it can't get any better than this, Apple pushes the boundaries even further. Happy Birthday, my little friend. It's been one hell of a joy ride over the 20 years.

Wow. And this was so typical as I recall... still is if you think about it. Macs are superior machines in so many ways and are vehemently attacked by peecee weenies and their press. In most cases something brilliant goes through the phases of being ridiculed, attacked, and then being considered self evident... how much longer until the world wakes up and realizes Macs are superior machines, pound for pound?

AVON
Jan 24, 2004, 09:30 AM
Zorionak! = "happy birthday in Basque" -- girlfriend's language

who is going to take their mac out and get it drunk next year?

Sabbath
Jan 24, 2004, 09:30 AM
I just thinking how cool it would be if instead of releasing some big $$$ dream machine that many are wishing for, they released some cool free software for all their supporters. I know its not going to happen but it would be cool.

Mr.Hey
Jan 24, 2004, 09:33 AM
Happy Birthday my little Mac :).

Thank you to Jef Raskin, Steve, Woz and everyone else for helping to make Apple what it is today....especially its user base (thats me :)......you're welcome!
:confused: )

jouster
Jan 24, 2004, 09:36 AM
Back to the subject at hand. The Macintosh became my personal Rosetta Stone in 1984. It was what I was looking for my entire life. I finally had a way to express my creative thoughts visually. Yeah, I had to suffer with DOS as a consultant with Arthur Andersen, but the Mac was the paradigm crash that changed my life. I bought the original 128K Mac, upgraded my memory to 512 (for $1000) when the "Fat Mac" was released, added a $1500 "HyperDrive" hard disk with 5 MB of storage and snuck my stealth weapon into the client's site and created quite the stir when the "PC Center" (remember when corporations only had a pool of PC's usually held hostage under the direction of an IBM bigot who thought DOS was for real men?) received a flood of requests to be able to replicate my desktop publishing.

What a nice story. I'm sure many here had such experiences......

neutrino23
Jan 24, 2004, 09:37 AM
Congratulations Mac!

Tanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu!

Stolat, stolat, niech zyje, zyje nam...

Awimoway
Jan 24, 2004, 09:40 AM
Sorry to be the cold water on the party, but I don't think Jobs is all that interested in this year's Annie Versary. If there was a commemorative computer, I think it would have been shown at MWSF. I expect nothing new this weekend or next week.

But Happy Brithday anyway! :)

CmdrLaForge
Jan 24, 2004, 09:45 AM
Happy 20th birtday Mac!

I hope that not something big but instead a nice new G5 cube is waiting for its buyers in monday. That would be great !

Squire
Jan 24, 2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Sabbath
I just thinking how cool it would be if instead of releasing some big $$$ dream machine that many are wishing for, they released some cool free software for all their supporters. I know its not going to happen but it would be cool.

Funny you mention that. Do you think .Mac subscribers will get any free goodies?

Squire

MrSmith
Jan 24, 2004, 10:00 AM
Well, it's just turned the 25th here and I'm off to bed. There better be something good when I wake up. Get your mind out of the gutter!! I'm talking iMac/Cube G5! You know...Hardware. No, I mean...oh...whatever.

:D We'll see

nutonce
Jan 24, 2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TheWereSloth
Is it just me or was iLife '04 supposed to start shipping with all new Macs? Seems to me they just aren't bothering to update the product profiles because a refresh is imminent.

iLife '04 will be included in all new Macs beginning in early Feb. Until then, all new Mac purchases qualify for the iLife Up-to-Date (http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate) program ($19.95 shipping and handling).

d.f
Jan 24, 2004, 10:05 AM
as has been said before, i am VERY suprised / dissapointed that there's no acknowledgement on the site....

i'd like to think there delaying it till Tuesday for a 'big suprise'....... but my gut feeling is that as there's nothing to announce, so why draw any more attention to it...

what do ya'll think..?

stevietheb
Jan 24, 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by nutonce
iLife '04 will be included in all new Macs beginning in early Feb. Until then, all new Mac purchases qualify for the iLife Up-to-Date (http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate) program ($19.95 shipping and handling).

When I called and placed my new iBook order on Jan. 19, the lovely sales guy (Franklin) told me that iLife 04 would not be preinstalled, but the disc(s) would be included at no charge.

jero
Jan 24, 2004, 10:10 AM
happy birthday apple. give me a cube on the 26th and it will be the best birthday ever.

iLilana
Jan 24, 2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by d.f
as has been said before, i am VERY suprised / dissapointed that there's no acknowledgement on the site....

i'd like to think there delaying it till Tuesday for a 'big suprise'....... but my gut feeling is that as there's nothing to announce, so why draw any more attention to it...

what do ya'll think..?

steve will start wearing mauve turtlenecks at all keynotes.

true777
Jan 24, 2004, 10:18 AM
Happy birthday, Mac! I love you!
I want to buy you flowers and eat cake with you!

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, mein suesser Kleiner!
Ich werde Dir niemals untreu sein.

I'll always love you,

-- true --

devotchka
Jan 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
whoo!
new releases hopefully on monday - my birthday!
now if only apple would give me a birthday present...

Macmaniac
Jan 24, 2004, 10:20 AM
Its a shame they have nothing posted on their front page indicating their 20th anniversary. Maybe that comes later today!

Java
Jan 24, 2004, 10:21 AM
Here is a screen shot taken of the poll so far on cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com)

TranceClubMusic
Jan 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by phillymjs
I thought if nothing else they'd have a nice graphic (maybe the original Mac sporting a party hat or something), on Apple.com to mark the day.

Nope. Still flogging iPod Minis and iLife on the front page.

~Philly

I think is SAD - nothing - and I KNEW that was gonna happen - Monday nothing and Tuesday nothing - getting tired already :(

true777
Jan 24, 2004, 10:30 AM
I think we should all send a Happy Birthday note at Apple's website ("contact us"), to show them we care, even if they don't themselves.

I just did, in any case.

I was hoping they'd put at least a cool pic on their front page,
a picture of a birthday cake in a Mac-related shape or similar.
Oh well.

brownreese
Jan 24, 2004, 10:31 AM
The "Think Different" campaign is still relevant...especially in today's world where the next wave of generation z (?) youth are questioning and challenging mainstream notions.

But I think the campaign could be freshened:

"Think Different. Be Different."

Forget the microanalysis of Apple's market share. It's about profitability. Personally I think its a priveledge to be part of the core of innovation, great industrial engineering and vertical system integration. I wouldn't trade Apple's market share for anything if it meant compromising any of these components.

natedavis
Jan 24, 2004, 10:34 AM
Well, I am glad to see where the Mac has gone. Been a wonderful 20 years. Our company bought a Dual 1.8 on Friday... I am just hoping they don't release new G5s quite yet, or my boss might be a little angry seeing that he just bought a Dual 1.8, and they come out with something better! But, Such is the life of a Mac User :)

Macmaniac
Jan 24, 2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Java
Here is a screen shot taken of the poll so far on cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com)
LOL we just jumped to 16 percent;)

TranceClubMusic
Jan 24, 2004, 10:46 AM
Its amazing to me how CNN found it more imortant then Apple to talk about the "20th Anniversary" :o
I cant tell you disappointed I am - but I guess I will just move on now - Other companies dont celebrate Anniversary's (Intel & Microsoft) so I guess its not a big deal.
This is a Rumore site - so I will just digress back to my comments back in December - when I was told expect nothing till March. :rolleyes:

Awimoway
Jan 24, 2004, 10:47 AM
The "Think Different" campaign is still relevant...especially in today's world where the next wave of generation z (?) youth are questioning and challenging mainstream notions.

Oh yeah. That's so new. :rolleyes:

wisco
Jan 24, 2004, 10:51 AM
seriously, i was planning on buying an ibook or power book today. i am actually switching believe it or not, although my first real pc was the first mac.

should i buy one today or not? or is there going to be something new on monday and the prices go down?

any ideas?

DanUk2003
Jan 24, 2004, 10:54 AM
Well as we're all an international community, here's how people are wishing the Mac Happy Birthday around the world:

(non-latin based languages are written phonetically!!)

Gelukkige verjaarsdag!

Albanian
Gëzuar ditëlindjen!

Amharic
Melkame yetewlede kene! Melekam ledet!

Arabic
Eeid milad sa'aeed

Armenian
Shenorhavor Dzenentyan Or!

Asturian
ˇBon nataliegu!

Azerbaijani
- Ad Gününüz mübarćk!

Basque
Zorionak!

Bengali
Shuvo Zanmo din!

Bosnian
Sretan Rodjendan!

Breton
Deiz ha Bloaz Laouen!

Bulgarian
Chestit Rojden Den! (= ChRD!)

Cantonese
saang yat faai lok!

Catalan
Feliç aniversari!

Chipewyan
Neh dzeeneh kk-eh nehbah soo ghwah nehs-then

Cornish
Pennbloedh Lowen!

Creole
Kontan ou pa-w jou nesans!

Croatian
Sretan rodyendan!

Czech
S^t^astné narozeniny!

Dagaare
Né fo dO!góó dááré yááné !

Danish
Tillykke med fřdselsdagen!

Dutch
Gefeliciteerd!

English
Happy Birthday!

Esperanto
Feli^can datrevenon! Feli^can naski^gtago!

Estonian
Palju őnne sünnipäevaks!

Eurish
Dio natana beatea !

Farsi
Ta'va'lo'dat Mo'ba'rak

Finnish
Hyvää syntymäpäivää!

French
Joyeux anniversaire!

Frisian
Fan herten lokwinske mei dyn jierdei!

Galician
Feliz Aniversário!

Georgian
gilotsavt dabadebis dghes!

German
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

Greek
Hro'nia Polla'

Gujarati
hApi barthde! janmadin ni vadhaaee!

Hawaiian
Hau`oli lá hánau!

Hebrew
Yom huledet same'ach!

Hindi
janmadina mubaarak ho

Holooe
Sen-jít khoŕi-lók

Hungarian
Boldog születésnapot!

Icelandic
Til hamingju međ afmćliđ!

Ido
Bona/felica nasko-dio!

Indonesian
Selamat ulang tahun!

Interlingua
Felice anniversario!

Irish
breith lá sona duit

Italian
Buon compleanno!

Japanese
Tanjoubi omedetou!

Korean
Seng-il-ul Chuk-ha-ham-ni-da

Latin
Beatum Diem Natalem (tibi precor/exopto)

Latvian
Daudz laimes dzimsvanas diena-!

Lithuanian
Sveikinu gimtadienio proga!

Luganda
[Happy Birthday!]

Malaysian
selamat harijadi

Mandarin
sheng- rě kuŕi lč!

Marshallese
Jeramon ilo rainin am!

Mazahua
mitshíngh!

Norwegian
Gratulerer med dagen!

Occitan
bon aniversari!

Polish
Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji urodzin!

Portuguese
Feliz Aniversário! Parabéns!

Brazilian Portuguese
Feliz Aniversário!

Quechua
??

Romanian
La mult'i ani!

Russian
S dnem rozhdeniya!

Serbian
Srecyan rodyendan!

Sesotho
Ke ho lakaletsa letsatsi le monate la tswalo!

Sinhala
Shubha. Upan Dhina.yak !

Slovak
Vs^etko najleps^ie (k narodeninám)!

Slovenian
Vse najboljsxe za rojstni dan!

Spanish
Feliz cumpleańos!

Swahili
Hongera!

Swedish
Grattis pĺ födelsedagen!

Tagalog
Maligayang kaarawan!

Thai
sook-san-wan-kert!

Tswana
Ogole!

Turkish
Do-gum günün kutlu olsun!

Ukrainian
z dnem urodyn! z dnem narodzhenya!

Vietnamese
Chúc mů*ng sinh nhâ.t !

Welsh
Penblwydd Hapus i chwi!

Wolof
[Happy] besi judu

Xhosa
Imini yokuzalwa emnandi!

Yiddish
mazl-tov

Zulu
sikufisela inhlanhla elangeni lakho lokuzalwa

Chaszmyr
Jan 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by wisco
seriously, i was planning on buying an ibook or power book today. i am actually switching believe it or not, although my first real pc was the first mac.

should i buy one today or not? or is there going to be something new on monday and the prices go down?

any ideas?

I highly doubt you'll see any updates to this products, but just to be safe, wait until tuesday before making a purchase

gothamac
Jan 24, 2004, 10:59 AM
I guess Apple thinks we're all a bunch of lemmings, and we'll stay loyal to the Mac even if their focus is on the iPod.
I find it insulting that they haven't acknowledge the anniversary knowing us Mac heads have been counting down to this day.

Awimoway
Jan 24, 2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by gothamac
I guess Apple thinks we're all a bunch of lemmings, and we'll stay loyal to the Mac even if their focus is on the iPod.
I find it insulting that they haven't acknowledge the anniversary knowing us Mac heads have been counting down to this day.

Well, they did acknowledge it at MWSF. And they've got the retouched commercial up. I mean, it's not like they're ignoring it entirely.

Thor74
Jan 24, 2004, 11:07 AM
Every time someone says "a buddy of mine that works at Apple told..." I get annoyed.. LOL Realistically G5 updates are approaching any day now. In order for Steve NOT to get mud in his face, At least by August 31 or so, he has to announce 3 gigahertz G5's by end of summer 2004 as promised last year. That means Apple would like most to have a new line out for about 6 months before that of intermediate speed bumps from what we have now. No matter what, by the end of Feb. we will get our G5 updates. It could be Monday, but I doubt it. I am thinking mid to late Feb. But I am dying to dump my dualie 867 and jump into a new midrange 2.2-2.3 dulie when Apple finally does announce them.

rdowns
Jan 24, 2004, 11:08 AM
Those bastards!:D

I give them the best 20 years of my life and they come home without an anniversary present. They'll be sleeping on the iCouch tonight.

VicMacs
Jan 24, 2004, 11:10 AM
hope this big thing is a price cut on the ipod mini :P

pctech@mac.com
Jan 24, 2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe Apple is waiting for the exact TIME that they announced the Macintosh to do anything

avvpiras
Jan 24, 2004, 11:13 AM
A cent'annus!

(See you again on your 100th Birthday!)

MacsRgr8
Jan 24, 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mahermusic
Happy Birthday Mac!! ...and MANY MORE!!!

That's the right wish!

Many, many, many more years to come!

PS. never knew there were so much Dutch speaking around.... :cool:

blumie607
Jan 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pctech@mac.com
Maybe Apple is waiting for the exact TIME that they announced the Macintosh to do anything

What exactly is that time?

pctech@mac.com
Jan 24, 2004, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, does ANYONE know what the time was when Apple announced the first Macintosh?

TranceClubMusic
Jan 24, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Thor74
Every time someone says "a buddy of mine that works at Apple told..." I get annoyed.. LOL Realistically G5 updates are approaching any day now. In order for Steve NOT to get mud in his face, At least by August 31 or so, he has to announce 3 gigahertz G5's by end of summer 2004 as promised last year. That means Apple would like most to have a new line out for about 6 months before that of intermediate speed bumps from what we have now. No matter what, by the end of Feb. we will get our G5 updates. It could be Monday, but I doubt it. I am thinking mid to late Feb. But I am dying to dump my dualie 867 and jump into a new midrange 2.2-2.3 dulie when Apple finally does announce them.

One - The person I refer to when I write - DOES NOT WORK AT THE APPLE STORE :rolleyes:
Two - I agree that G5 undates are more likely end of Feb but probably in March.
Cant tell you how disappoined I am with the "20th Anniversary" - It should be a "whole year drawn out thing" but a Slam Dunk Powerful display to the PC World that Apple is on top.:o

illini
Jan 24, 2004, 11:35 AM
A liberal paraphrase of Rene Descarte's "Cognito, ergo sum", i.e. " I think, therefore I am."

1) Today is the 20th birthday for the Apple Macintosh
2) January 24th is also my birthday
3) Therefore, I am destined to be a Macintosh user

Go Descartes! Go Mac!:D

TheBunnellFarm
Jan 24, 2004, 11:38 AM
you know when I look at the famous 84 superbowl add it is so totally fantastic I am lost for words...talk about absolute masters of masters at anticipation and presentation and dramma and delivery, when that runner schrieks and throws and hikes up to the delivery of that hammer I just about explode with her when it hits the screen, steve and his cohorts are second to none....talk about a drum roll.....lllaaaaadies and gentelmeeeen.....

my mother would have your tounge hanging out by the time that christmas or thanksgiving dinner hit the table....usually three or four in the afternoon...

then she would deliver..... a fantastic meal..the gravy and stuffing and mashed potatoes,...out of this world...real butter and hot buns and juicy juicy brown turkey, dripping with flavor... ice cold milk...as much milk and real butter and everything as you could possibly want, except the stuffing, the stuffing usually ran out and the gravy too but you already had lots and lots so you could live with that...

pickles and cranberrys,.... seconds and thirds and fourths on everything and everything and then pie..punkin and apple and bananna-cream with real whipped cream big scoops of home made or from the can whipped cream....

steve will deliver....steve will always deliver...

Tom

lightjockey
Jan 24, 2004, 11:44 AM
post deleted by moderator

DHefner
Jan 24, 2004, 11:45 AM

Nederlands is een ooky taal:confused:

pb1212580
Jan 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned (no, I didn't read the whole thread!), but, there is NOTHING about Happy 20th Anniversary on the Apple web site...

how odd...

Maybe the birthday has been moved to 2 days later! ;)

johnnyjibbs
Jan 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
No birthday annoucement suggests something bigger on Monday when they announce new products and updates :p

Chaszmyr
Jan 24, 2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
No birthday annoucement suggests something bigger on Monday when they announce new products and updates :p

There is sense in that (as was implied by my earlier post.) If they made a big deal about the anniversary now, then an anniversary release in a couple of days would lose its thunder.

studebakerhwk13
Jan 24, 2004, 12:01 PM
17%

candan9019
Jan 24, 2004, 12:01 PM
I love being as old as the Macintosh, I always know how old it is, or how old I am.
Now here's hoping they give us something so I can get it for my 20th. Not very likely, but Steve is a clever one.

Java
Jan 24, 2004, 12:06 PM
I'm just curious how many times we have heard that Apple was going out of business in the past 20 years?

Happy 20th Birthday Apple.

autrefois
Jan 24, 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by studebakerhwk13
17%

Still at 17%, but when I voted, the ad on the bottom of the results page was for Netflix, with Finding Nemo as the first DVD pictured. :)

powerbookje
Jan 24, 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by DHefner
Nederlands is een ooky taal:confused:

't tal wel zijn ! en joak, ik verfstoan brugs

happy happya birthday mac!

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 12:18 PM
cognito, cogito

Dutch, and what looks like......Belgian?

mac v windows, the walloon v the flemish

Its a world of choice and confusion out there.
And one guy says his mother is in Amsterdam!

An entertaining thread today, for sure.

Vive la difference!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAC!

TranceClubMusic
Jan 24, 2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Java
I'm just curious how many times we have heard that Apple was going out of business in the past 20 years?

Happy 20th Birthday Apple.

Quote from CNN; "With such an innovative and intuitive product, then why is Apple's market share just 3 percent to 5 percent, with Microsoft Windows claiming more than 90 percent worldwide? The problem has always been that Apple was first but other companies have been able to come in and undercut them on price, and gradually appropriate all the features that made Apple special but internal dramas at Apple also contributed to its notorious ups and downs. Steve Jobs left the company in a power struggle in the late 80s. The firm floundered in a PC-dominated world. It was just a little bit disappointing that Apple kind of got itself into the situation where they didn't so much own what they had really brought to market."
This is how the "Industry" sees Apple today.
We all may not agree BUT perception is REALITY - and Consumers speak the loudest. Market Share DOES mean something.

newamiga
Jan 24, 2004, 12:28 PM
I am kind of shocked that they haven't even posted a still screen from the 1984 commercial on the splash section of the home page. The fact that they are not even going that far, makes me belive that we are not going to see a 20th anniversary "whatever" until later in the year. Just going by what Steve said in the keynote.. "great things throughout the 20th anniversary year.." I doubt we see anything Monday.. and I would think it would be Tuesday vice Monday as normally announcements are on Tuesdays right?

wdlove
Jan 24, 2004, 12:28 PM
Happy 20th Anniversary of the Mac. Thank you Steve Jobs & Steve Woz. It has been a great 20 years and looking forward to the next 20 years. I have been with Apple since 1983.

Hopefully you won't make us wait too long for the announcement.

dho
Jan 24, 2004, 12:29 PM
wow, this is the first time iv head so many people sya next monday. Its always next TUESDAY!!! get that into your heads

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 12:29 PM
Just to remind you how important Apple and the Mac is, go to this BBC news item and see what Bill Gates latest nonsense is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3426367.stm

The guy wants us to pay a stamp for email!
Bloody lunatic. Why do bad people with bad haircuts dominate the planet?

autrefois
Jan 24, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by elgruga
cognito, cogito

Dutch, and what looks like......Belgian?

mac v windows, the walloon v the flemish

Its a world of choice and confusion out there.
And one guy says his mother is in Amsterdam!

An entertaining thread today, for sure.

Vive la difference!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAC!

Vive la différence, et pensez différemment. :)

Bon anniversaire au Mac!

[translated: Vive la différence, and think different. :) Happy Birthday, Mac!]

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 12:34 PM
I really want to see all the different languages out there in AppleWorld!

alles Gute zum Geburtstag zum Apfel!

(auf deutsch, naturlich.)

Any Italian Apple people out there?

BenRoethig
Jan 24, 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by autrefois
Vive la différence, et pensez différemment. :)

Bon anniversaire au Mac!

[translated: Vive la différence, and think different. :) Happy Birthday, Mac!]

Can't we all get along...and speak the same language.

autrefois
Jan 24, 2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by BenRoethig
Can't we all get along...and speak the same language.

Non! :) Unless you mean we should all speak French! (just kidding)

ZildjianKX
Jan 24, 2004, 12:42 PM
If a G5 iMac came out, it would make powerbooks look like crap...

BenRoethig
Jan 24, 2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Quote from CNN; "With such an innovative and intuitive product, then why is Apple's market share just 3 percent to 5 percent, with Microsoft Windows claiming more than 90 percent worldwide? The problem has always been that Apple was first but other companies have been able to come in and undercut them on price, and gradually appropriate all the features that made Apple special but internal dramas at Apple also contributed to its notorious ups and downs. Steve Jobs left the company in a power struggle in the late 80s. The firm floundered in a PC-dominated world. It was just a little bit disappointing that Apple kind of got itself into the situation where they didn't so much own what they had really brought to market."
We all may not agree BUT perception is REALITY - and Consumers speak the loudest. Market Share DOES mean something.

Apple sets it self apart from the rest of the pack by its radica, innovative designs. It is both Apple's greatest strength and its curse. In many cases, Apple chooses form over function. Apple is alike a Porsche. 95% of the population is content with a Jetta, the other 5 needs something more.

autrefois
Jan 24, 2004, 12:51 PM
It's now at 18% on CNN. That's about 4-5 times the percent of people who actually use Macs.

Wow, I wonder if it's going up so fast just because of MacRumors people?

And no, I didn't vote twice, I just refreshed the results. :)

rockman2023
Jan 24, 2004, 12:52 PM
Cool. I'll be 21 in 3 days :D

Mudbug
Jan 24, 2004, 12:56 PM
Happy b'day Apple

and Happy Birthday to my son - this is his 7th birthday (convenient day, eh?).

I must say I was hoping to get up and find new toys to play with under the Apple tree, but to no avail. Monday sounds like it could be fun though.

mian
Jan 24, 2004, 01:00 PM
It's now at 18% on CNN. That's about 4-5 times the percent of people who actually use Macs.

I don't think 18% is out of line for the percentage of computers being used on the internet. That number is alot higher than current marketshare of 2% to 3%.

Chopper
Jan 24, 2004, 01:02 PM
Just to remind you how important Apple and the Mac is, go to this BBC news item and see what Bill Gates latest nonsense is:

Interesting way to read into the article. Of course, the way I read it was to say that the "stamp" would only come into play when an email was rejected as spam. If the email isn't spam, there's no worry of a payment.

Avalo
Jan 24, 2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by DanUk2003

Quechua
??

Quechua
kusi wata hunt'ay

Iroganai
Jan 24, 2004, 01:16 PM
It's great to see here in macrumors various people from all over the world celebrating the anniversary in different languages!
Yes, using apple products is one way to think different and learning another language is another way to think different.

Happy Birthday Mac! otanjobi omedetou!

g30ffr3y
Jan 24, 2004, 01:18 PM
happy birthday macintosh... i love apple more than most anything... gives me the tools to make myself more of what i want to be... heres to twenty more... i will never look back... down with the peecee...

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I'm literally beaming with pride right now. It almost brings tears to my eyes. I love Apple.

Ditto. 20 years, wow. As has been said before, here's to 20 more.

Steven Chow
Jan 24, 2004, 01:48 PM
Happy birthday Macintosh!!
生日快乐!Macintosh!

dennis88
Jan 24, 2004, 01:48 PM
C'mon, let's all vote for mac on the poll on CNN!

Flickta
Jan 24, 2004, 01:52 PM
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Macintosh I did it... To defeat our foe, the windows world I did it...

Well, I didn't have an intention, but I somehow deleted everything from my friend's PC Harddrive today. Oh well...

centauratlas
Jan 24, 2004, 01:53 PM
learn some languages and maybe you ll come up to this)

Apple is MORE than 25 years old already. Come on, with an ending like that ("learn some languages"), you would think you'd know the FACTS.

Apple was started in 1976 (April 1, 1976 if apple-history.com is correct). It is 2004. You do the math.

The Macintosh is a different matter of course, but you didn't say that, you said "Apple".

arsonist
Jan 24, 2004, 01:53 PM
Jag muste sagar,

Grattis Apple! tack fĺr min lite PB12"!

(jag studere svenska pĺ komvux i Sverige).

And in Irish!

Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.
Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.
Lá Breithe Sona. a Apple!,
Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.

Hurray!

Jonnod III
Jan 24, 2004, 01:55 PM
Well, 16% is probably akin to the percentage amongst the number of people who CHOOSE their platform.

There was a great article in the UK MacUser a few months ago - said that the term PC should be divided up into at least two groups - CC (Creative Computer) and WC (Workstation Computer). It's premise was that bucket-loads of machines that give MSaft it's dominance are infact machines on desks for drones - so aren't really PCs at all.

Back to the 20th Anniversary today. Just been to our local PC World (one of the hellholes of the world...) and in their mac displays there were large gaps - onlt 17" iMacs there - no G5 representation at all. Maybe there are no stocks of G5s around etm..? maybe new stock will arrive Monday/Tuesday??? ;)

Bonte
Jan 24, 2004, 01:57 PM
Loppem? geestig, dan moeie keer opt teinde van den heidelberg eens binnenspringen in m'n boekenwinkeltje :)

Its fun :) and Apple is doing its best but language localizations are the biggest problem for the Mac in Europe and the rest of the non-English world :(

Jonnod III
Jan 24, 2004, 01:58 PM
...oh and another thing - as I was witing the above post, got a notification from Apple Store that my OfficeX Professional has been despatched today. Was only ordered on Friday (my birthday...) so no 7 week delays there like with the G5 also on order...

pb1212580
Jan 24, 2004, 02:03 PM
HOW DOES ONE VOTE AT CNN.COM???

wichard
Jan 24, 2004, 02:03 PM

Rick Friele
Jan 24, 2004, 02:09 PM
Happy 20th Mac!

autrefois
Jan 24, 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pb1212580
HOW DOES ONE VOTE AT CNN.COM???

It's at the bottom right of the main page, www.cnn.com, at least on the US version.

I think I remember that there are international versions, in which case it might not be there (in which case I believe there's a link at the top right of the page to have it to show the US version).

appleguy
Jan 24, 2004, 02:28 PM
Although I would love to see a iMac G5, I feel that since the iMac uses semi-powerbook technology that we won't see a iMac G5 until the Powerbook G5 is released which I feel is still about 1 year away.. But who knows maybe I am wrong

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by zync
I have learned other languages and in all of them proper names remain proper :) so shouldn't it be "Apple" and not appel?

Actually it should be Apple, regardless of which language you speak. Since its a company name you don't translate that too. Its not called Ringo Computer (Ringo = Apple) in Japan, and we don't call Volkswagen People's Car here in America.

That said:

Feliz cumpleańos Macintosh!

Macintosh wa, otanjoubiga omedetou gozaimasu!

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by true777
I think we should all send a Happy Birthday note at Apple's website ("contact us"), to show them we care, even if they don't themselves.

I just did, in any case.

I was hoping they'd put at least a cool pic on their front page,
a picture of a birthday cake in a Mac-related shape or similar.
Oh well.

Great Idea!! Everybody, do this! I sure will!

wPod
Jan 24, 2004, 03:16 PM
so here is the official word from my local apple store manager. . .(i stopped by the apple store to say happy birthday!)

me- "so today is the 20th birthday for mac, and apple isnt doing anything?"

him- "yes, today is the day."

me- "so they aren't having anything special today, what about monday or tuesday."

him- "um. . . <long pause>. . . </long pause>"

me- "so their big advertising thing is the iTunes/Pepsi deal for the super bowl"

him- "yes that will be on the super bowl"

sounds suspicious if you ask me.

so i had my own b-day celebration for mac at the store, and put this on most of the computers (would have taken a picture of the store with most of the computers showing this on their monitors but there were too many people and i didnt want to bother the costomers to move) (i hope the picture shows up or works)

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

Incorrect. You see when everyone keeps referring to market share, that is not an indication of how many total users Apple has, but how many computers they are selling. Since Mac's tend to live longer and be used longer I'd say that the actually amount of users is atleast double what the market share numbers are. I don't remember where I read it, and it was a couple years ago so it may be outdated but at the time the estimated upgrade life for a PC user was every 2-3 years, for mac users it was closer to 5. So if you have PC users buying at twice the rate, then yeah they are going to sell more computers.

What I think is unfair is that they compare Apple to the ENTIRE PC industry. I'd like to see how they compare to individual companies, i.e. marketshare vs Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc. THEN see how its not so bad.

st0g1e
Jan 24, 2004, 03:18 PM
Selamat ulang tahun Macintosh!!

shadowself
Jan 24, 2004, 03:22 PM
Remember the HUGE fanfare Apple did when it was Apple's big 25th anniversary on 1 April 2001? Remember the special 25th anniversay computers, software and peripherals? That was Apple Computer's Silver Anniversay.

Neither do I.

It would seem as though Jobs and company are no longer fans of anniversaries.

While I would like to see many things announced in the next few days (e.g.; dual 2.6 GHz G5 PowerMacs; 2.0 GHz G5, 20" iMacs; 1.6 GHz G5, 15.2" PowerBooks & 1.8 GHz G5, 17" Powerbooks; 1.4 GHz G5, 14" iBooks; 104 Mbps Airport Ulta; 2 GB iPod micros; 1.0 GHz iPad; AppleWorks Extreme; etc. etc.) I don't really expect to see anything until well after 1 February.

Apple is taking things one segment at a time these days. The end of this month seems to be focussed on iPods, iTunes and iTMS.

I most definitely hope I'm wrong, but Apple has ignored the last few major anniversaries for the company. I see no reason to expect them to change now.

billyboy
Jan 24, 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Krizoitz
Incorrect.
What I think is unfair is that they compare Apple to the ENTIRE PC industry. I'd like to see how they compare to individual companies, i.e. marketshare vs Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc. THEN see how its not so bad.

HP has 19% share of the market I believe. Dell is 4 times the size of Apple...

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mudbug
Will you fold already?

Ironically enough the two biggest distributed computing projects for the average user are:

SETI@home (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/)
and
Folding@Home (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/index.html)
Why is that ironic you ask? Well for those of you not familiar with Cal (Berkley) and Stanford they are huge RIVAL schools, seems like they have to compete in everything, even for your computers free time :-)

urbanlung
Jan 24, 2004, 03:53 PM
Of course PCs are winning, the options are rigged, you are either a 'Mac fan' or a 'PC person' ie you don't have to actualy like PCs you just have to be a user, a PC person. if the options were 'Mac fan' or 'PC fan' obviously the results would be closer to 100% for the Mac since it is technically impossible to actualy like PCs, though obviously there is a small margin of error for those who do not understand what the word fan means.

GregA
Jan 24, 2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
We all may not agree BUT perception is REALITY - and Consumers speak the loudest. Market Share DOES mean something. Sorry, which part of this is not true? I'm guessing you're meaning market share.

If we go outside of yearly sales, that's such a hard thing to calculate! Also, I would be VERY hesitant about saying Apple's have a longer shelf life right now - I think the shelf life has been getting shorter, similar to PCs.

I'd be interested to know what some big websites stats are on browser platforms. I'd like to see what % of hits are Mac (though depending on the site they might be skewed to home users or work users etc).

gorkonapple
Jan 24, 2004, 04:28 PM
I am celebrating the brithday of the Mac this week on my first Mac, a 12 inch PB.

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 04:31 PM
The vote is at 19%.

www.cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com)

Bottom right hand corner......

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by urbanlung
Of course PCs are winning, the options are rigged, you are either a 'Mac fan' or a 'PC person' ie you don't have to actualy like PCs you just have to be a user, a PC person. if the options were 'Mac fan' or 'PC fan' obviously the results would be closer to 100% for the Mac since it is technically impossible to actualy like PCs, though obviously there is a small margin of error for those who do not understand what the word fan means.

LOL! Very funny! And of course, I agree 100%!

elgruga
Jan 24, 2004, 04:37 PM
Hey guys - M$ is a software co. Apple makes beautiful computers and the software that makes 'em great.

Market share of boxes:

M$ computers = zero%
Apple computers = 5%
APPLE WINS!
Actually LIKE the OS?:

M$ = 5%
Apple = 95+%
APPLE WINS!

'nuff said.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 24, 2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by urbanlung

Fan, short for fanatic:
pertaining to, or indicating, fanaticism; extravagant in opinions; ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects; as, fanatic zeal; fanatic notions

Next poll:

Are you a:
Democrat
Pig-****ing Republican
?

Anyway, trying to vote now gets a server error (no such object found). I guess Mac was getting too high for their advertisers.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 24, 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
If the re was a commemorative computer, I think it would have been shown at MWSF.

Steve hates IDG. Let's not forget that.

NoVi
Jan 24, 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by MrSmith

How old is Microsoft, and what did they do/release on their last big anniversary? Or didn't anyone care/notice?

They released a security patch...:D

gottfrid
Jan 24, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by arsonist
Jag muste sagar,

Grattis Apple! tack fĺr min lite PB12"!

(jag studere svenska pĺ komvux i Sverige).

And in Irish!

Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.
Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.
Lá Breithe Sona. a Apple!,
Lá Breithe Sona dhuit.

Hurray!

Frĺn en äkta svensk :-)

Grattis Apple! Tack för världens bästa dator upplevelse !

Hurra, hurra, hurra!!!

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Ditto. 20 years, wow. As has been said before, here's to 20 more.

One of countless ways Macs rule over Windoze machines... we can actually read the Chinese/Japenese text!!! (Windoze displays little boxes...)

Though I'm not sure if the quote is displaying it... there was some sort of Chinese in the text....

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Steven Chow
生日快乐!Macintosh!

For that last one... I quoted the wrong post... Oops. :confused:

keysersoze
Jan 24, 2004, 05:36 PM
Happy B-Day Apple!

Thanks for the great machines, s/w and occasional kernel panic (to keep us honest)!

Howdoggz
Jan 24, 2004, 05:40 PM
http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/1984/

AM I the only one who saw that this ad is a bit revised with the lady wearing an ipod?????

TheBunnellFarm
Jan 24, 2004, 05:52 PM
did you just crawl out of a hole.....

Squire
Jan 24, 2004, 06:01 PM

You would only have to pay a stamp if your email got labeled as spam. I think it's a good idea. (Actually, though, I've never received spam in my Mac Mail account but still get spam every day- WITH my filters set to "Exclusive"- in Hotmail.)

Squire

jcshas
Jan 24, 2004, 06:02 PM
Happy B-day Apple...just think, one more year and you'll be old enough to drink! :D

MoparShaha
Jan 24, 2004, 06:06 PM
Who are all the trolls giving this thread a negative rating?

esperoboy
Jan 24, 2004, 06:16 PM
I purchased the G5 computer about a week ago and Apple says I have to wait till Jan 27th to get the product shipped. So like, right after I get my G5, that'll be one generation old!?

wahhhh waaaaah

Please do not release new G5!! waaah

Anyway, happy 20th Apple :)

applekid
Jan 24, 2004, 06:21 PM
Party at Steve's! Free G5s for all!

... I wish...

According to one source "something big" is expected on Monday January 26th, 2004. Lower PowerMac inventories suggests possible updates to that line, but there are also hints at "something else"...

Hey, arn, how serious should we take this? There doesn't seem to be much emphasis on it.

Release a new device already. I'm bored with my iPod and iMac. :)

true777
Jan 24, 2004, 06:38 PM
Hey, maybe those of us living close to an Apple store should walk into the store and give a birthday cake to the employees, one that has "Happy Birthday, Mac" written on it.

Steven1621
Jan 24, 2004, 06:42 PM
regarding the imac g5 rumor, i would say that apple wouldn't be very likely to come out with this. they generally gear the imac as a comsumer based desktop. the g5 is need most for professional apps. it would make more sense for them to put their efforts towards the pb g5 which has more of a professional calling. certainly the g5 will be in the imac eventually, but at the present moment, the pb g5 is more of a priority.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 24, 2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by hotwire132002
One of countless ways Macs rule over Windoze machines... we can actually read the Chinese/Japenese text!!! (Windoze displays little boxes...)Only if you don't have international fonts installed (I'd venture to guess OS X would have trouble displaying it without them either).

gorkonapple
Jan 24, 2004, 06:59 PM
One of countless ways Macs rule over Windoze machines... we can actually read the Chinese/Japenese text!!! (Windoze displays little boxes...)

Though I'm not sure if the quote is displaying it... there was some sort of Chinese in the text....

Sorry...this is just wrong. Windows only shows those if you don't download/install the character sets. I like my Mac and will choose it over windows, but Windows has very fine foreign language support.

requies
Jan 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
Hey, maybe those of us living close to an Apple store should walk into the store and give a birthday cake to the employees, one that has "Happy Birthday, Mac" written on it.

that is such an awesome idea! it would be so cool to get like a bunch of people together and wear party hats and have those little birthday noisemaker things and run through the whole mall and then shout "happy birthday!" to the macs in the apple store! :D

DavidCar
Jan 24, 2004, 07:09 PM
I eventually realized that I could celebrate the Mac's birthday by checking to see if my original Mac still works. It is still sitting in an obscure corner with its Kensington System Saver fan still on it, and nearby is an old Kensington Turbomouse with an old mouseport connection. As I recall, I upgraded to a Mac Plus using the original case, bought about February 1984, and eventually got a total systems Gemini accelerator. I don't recall the MHz.

I knew I wanted a Mac, because back in May 1981 I discovered I had a friend who worked at Xerox PARC, so I arranged to make a trip there to have a look at what was going on. I still have my red "Escort Required" Xerox PARC name tag. I liked what I saw, and I just waited for an opportunity to get something similar. I never regretted getting a Mac, and often feel inclined to wash my hands after touching a PC.

So now I punched the power button on the front of the Kensington System Saver, and the Mac started up just fine, the familiar beep and whirr triggering a wave of nostalgia. Then it started flashing a floppy icon at me, but I didn't know what to feed it, so I turned it off.

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by esperoboy
I purchased the G5 computer about a week ago and Apple says I have to wait till Jan 27th to get the product shipped. So like, right after I get my G5, that'll be one generation old!?

wahhhh waaaaah

Please do not release new G5!! waaah

Anyway, happy 20th Apple :)

Well if you don't want it have them ship it to me, I'll give it a good home :D

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Only if you don't have international fonts installed (I'd venture to guess OS X would have trouble displaying it without them either).

True, but Asian fonts look SOOO much better on a Mac :-)

Selecter
Jan 24, 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm curious as to know what kind of TWIT would rate the Mac's 20th anniversary as a negative rated story?

30 of you people are very strange.....you know who you are....

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 07:50 PM
Only if you don't have international fonts installed (I'd venture to guess OS X would have trouble displaying it without them either).

That's true... But I have yet to see a PeeCee that ships with them pre-installed, and have yet to get them to install properly on mine....

That's why I use an iMac!:D

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 07:52 PM
True, but Asian fonts look SOOO much better on a Mac :-)

Agreed!

(Too bad I can't read any asian languages... ;) )

gregorypierce
Jan 24, 2004, 07:57 PM
What a crappy birthday. Looks like Apple is neither receiving nor giving gifts :)

Unless of course the folks in Cupertino are all drunk from a wild party and forgot to make some announcements - the 20th anniversary has gone by almost without incident.

rdowns
Jan 24, 2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by DavidCar
I eventually realized that I could celebrate the Mac's birthday by checking to see if my original Mac still works. It is still sitting in an obscure corner with its Kensington System Saver fan still on it, and nearby is an old Kensington Turbomouse with an old mouseport connection. As I recall, I upgraded to a Mac Plus using the original case, bought about February 1984, and eventually got a total systems Gemini accelerator. I don't recall the MHz.

I knew I wanted a Mac, because back in May 1981 I discovered I had a friend who worked at Xerox PARC, so I arranged to make a trip there to have a look at what was going on. I still have my red "Escort Required" Xerox PARC name tag. I liked what I saw, and I just waited for an opportunity to get something similar. I never regretted getting a Mac, and often feel inclined to wash my hands after touching a PC.

So now I punched the power button on the front of the Kensington System Saver, and the Mac started up just fine, the familiar beep and whirr triggering a wave of nostalgia. Then it started flashing a floppy icon at me, but I didn't know what to feed it, so I turned it off.

I feel like such a geek. Dragged the old Mac SE (for some reason, it is one old Mac I keep) down from the closet and found an ADB KB and mouse in the basement. Booted up just fine. Read my old resume in MacWrite and played a few games of Shufflepuck. Ah, memories.

rdowns
Jan 24, 2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Selecter
I'm curious as to know what kind of TWIT would rate the Mac's 20th anniversary as a negative rated story?

I'd love to see that feature gone from MacRumors. I couldn't care less if people find a thread positive or negative. And we would do away with the, "who possible rated this thread positive/negative?"

eric_n_dfw
Jan 24, 2004, 08:15 PM
That's true... But I have yet to see a PeeCee that ships with them pre-installed, and have yet to get them to install properly on mine....

That's why I use an iMac!:D Windows 2000 Professional, standard install (assuming that's what my company put on my laptop) has them.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 24, 2004, 08:17 PM
True, but Asian fonts look SOOO much better on a Mac :-) All fonts look better on Aqua! (in fact everything looks better on a Mac! ;) )

Awimoway
Jan 24, 2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Selecter

Nattering nabobs of negativity who put this site on their daily visit list in hopes that one day it will foretell the doom of Apple.

In short, the Microsoft board of directors. :D

TranceClubMusic
Jan 24, 2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
Nattering nabobs of negativity who put this site on their daily visit list in hopes that one day it will foretell the doom of Apple.

In short, the Microsoft board of directors. :D

My opinion is that the "negative" marks were those disappointed by a NON 20th Anniversary Show from Apple.;)

eric_n_dfw
Jan 24, 2004, 08:35 PM
All this reminiscing has me remembering my first Mac encounter. It had to be some time in '85, when I was 13. I was waiting for my mother to finish shopping at Mervyns (across the street from Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix, AZ FWIW) and I was in a small computer store in the same strip mall. I wasn't there to see the Mac though; in fact I looked at it for about a minute and said, "Wow, that sure sucks."

I was there to play with the new Commodore Amiga. Man did that thing rock! I must have sat there and hogged it for over an hour. They had a paint program (probably Electronic Arts' Deluxe Paint) and I was marveling at the color palette cycling and the 4096 color choices. They also had the "Boing" demo running and EA's Desktop Video app -- multimedia before IBM and Apple coined the term! ;)

Apple is damn lucky that Commodore ran their company into the ground because if they had kept their act together, they could have owned Apple!

The next computer that kicked butt like the original Amiga was the NeXT Cube.

All those years later, I am just happy that NeXT's take-over of Apple worked and we're all using OPENSTEP's child! ;) (I'd still rather use Amiga Workbench 1, 2 or 3 than Mac OS 7, 8 or 9!!) :p

(Eric ducks and runs from the room.... again!)

Happy birthday Mac, you've matured into quite a machine! :D

mike412
Jan 24, 2004, 08:46 PM
Happy Birthday Mac!!!!!!
You guys at Apple rock!!!

(By the way, you guys should watch the video of the 20th anniversary of Mac on CNN.com, its pretty darn good)

Just got my iPod on tuesday, and I'm loving it!!!

Thanks Apple

ThomasJefferson
Jan 24, 2004, 09:19 PM
Top Ten things Steve can do to celebrate the 20th anniversary while covering-up the absence of a new hardware announcement.

10. Run naked through his local Apple Store while banging two coconuts together and screaming, "And now its time for the .... ..."
9. Deliver the next keynote using his Gollum voice, frequently using the words, "My Precious".
8. Announce he is having Bill Gates' baby.
7. Claim that the Republicans accessed his computer files and stole the plans.
6. Join the Atkins Diet craze and shift his diet to raw meat, diet coke and vodka.
5. Release a new mini-iPod in retro-colors that ... oh never mind.

Anyone want to finish this ...?

Phillip
Jan 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by mike412

(By the way, you guys should watch the video of the 20th anniversary of Mac on CNN.com, its pretty darn good)

don't u need a real account or something?

Samurai980
Jan 24, 2004, 09:27 PM
I have my fingers crossed for quad g6s starting at 10GHz with 8 Exabytes of ram, 16 Exabytes of harddrive space, and R420 Video Card. All for the price of $500.

Oh and a 64bit OS X.

splashman
Jan 24, 2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Samurai980
I have my fingers crossed for quad g6s starting at 10GHz with 8 Exabytes of ram, 16 Exabytes of harddrive space, and R420 Video Card. All for the price of $500.

Oh and a 64bit OS X.

It all seemed quite plausible, until that last one . . . :)

ewoh24
Jan 24, 2004, 09:42 PM
...Yeah, we share the same birthday. The Mac and me. I'm super-cool...

Oh yeah, Neil Diamond too. What a great day!

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 09:52 PM
All this reminiscing has me remembering my first Mac encounter. It had to be some time in '85, when I was 13. I was waiting for my mother to finish shopping at Mervyns (across the street from Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix, AZ FWIW) and I was in a small computer store in the same strip mall. I wasn't there to see the Mac though; in fact I looked at it for about a minute and said, "Wow, that sure sucks."

I was there to play with the new Commodore Amiga. Man did that thing rock! I must have sat there and hogged it for over an hour. They had a paint program (probably Electronic Arts' Deluxe Paint) and I was marveling at the color palette cycling and the 4096 color choices. They also had the "Boing" demo running and EA's Desktop Video app -- multimedia before IBM and Apple coined the term! ;)

Apple is damn lucky that Commodore ran their company into the ground because if they had kept their act together, they could have owned Apple!

The next computer that kicked butt like the original Amiga was the NeXT Cube.

All those years later, I am just happy that NeXT's take-over of Apple worked and we're all using OPENSTEP's child! ;) (I'd still rather use Amiga Workbench 1, 2 or 3 than Mac OS 7, 8 or 9!!) :p

(Eric ducks and runs from the room.... again!)

Happy birthday Mac, you've matured into quite a machine! :D

Believe it or not, the small TV studio I own--CSMMTV--(http://cstv.coresoftcomputers.com in a shameless plug)
still uses an Amiga 1000 for CG.

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mike412
Happy Birthday Mac!!!!!!
You guys at Apple rock!!!

Just got my iPod on tuesday, and I'm loving it!!!

Thanks Apple

I would except for the $10/month viewing thing--is there a free way? I know, I'm cheap.:D

hotwire132002
Jan 24, 2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Samurai980

Oh and a 64bit OS X.

Exabyte...That's next after Terabyte, right?:confused:
Man, I feel stupid!

cr2sh
Jan 24, 2004, 10:42 PM
If there was ever a confirmation of something big coming, it was the lack of anything today. Apple had no banner. No splash page. No changes nor mention of the 20th anniversary today.

Why? Why rel-release a commercial... but not even hype it. It's my birthday.. here's a teaser... and then.. nothing? No, monday is going to be great. :)

invaLPsion
Jan 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
If there was ever a confirmation of something big coming, it was the lack of anything today. Apple had no banner. No splash page. No changes nor mention of the 20th anniversary today.

Why? Why rel-release a commercial... but not even hype it. It's my birthday.. here's a teaser... and then.. nothing? No, monday is going to be great. :)

Amen to that!:D

Phillip
Jan 24, 2004, 11:25 PM
theres no hard evidence of anything at the moment... the only product thats due of a speedbump is the powermac...

yoman
Jan 24, 2004, 11:36 PM
I hope all this hype doesnt end up as a wisp of smoke destroying all our wants and desires causing extreme grief and thoughts of depression.

Please!!!! Monday! Apple Please!!!

Krizoitz
Jan 24, 2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by ewoh24
...Yeah, we share the same birthday. The Mac and me. I'm super-cool...

Oh yeah, Neil Diamond too. What a great day!

I've got you all beat, I share my birthday with The Woz.

edenwaith
Jan 25, 2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by MoparShaha

Whoa. Talk about a 1984 moment. That sounds almost like a line out of George Orwell's classic.

"He loved Big Brother."

Scottgfx
Jan 25, 2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
i missing something? Oh yeah he's a spending Liberal. man can he spend.

The man can't spend anything without Congress. Spending freeze anyone?

Scottgfx
Jan 25, 2004, 01:56 AM
Iin fact I looked at it for about a minute and said, "Wow, that sure sucks."

I was there to play with the new Commodore Amiga. Man did that thing rock! I must have sat there and hogged it for over an hour. They had a paint program (probably Electronic Arts' Deluxe Paint) and I was marveling at the color palette cycling and the 4096 color choices. They also had the "Boing" demo running and EA's Desktop Video app --

As an employee of Commodore once said... "Commodore isn't a computer company, they are a company that makes widgets." I may be paraphrasing a bit, but just imagine what would have happened if Apple bought Amiga before Commodore? Sadly, Commodore never knew what to do with the Amiga technology.

Perhaps even more sadly, I have no less than six Amigas next to my dual 2Ghz G5. Even an original Amiga 1000!

~Shard~
Jan 25, 2004, 02:14 AM
I'm a little late getting in on this thread, but, even though many people have already paid their repsects, I have to add in my best wishes as well.

Happy Birthday Apple, and thank you for everything - I'll be with you for the next 20 years. :cool:

u2mr2os2
Jan 25, 2004, 02:21 AM
There's got to be something more than just stinking PowerMac speed bumps for the 20th anniversary date. However, I fear that the announcement at the big keynote that they were celebrating all year is just code for "we don't have the really cool thing ready for 24 January, so this will give us the rest of the year to get it done" (year of the laptop anyone), or that we should count up all the announcements this year at the end and find it amounted to a lot, but no one thing was significant.

Also, I'm annoyed with all the talk about they need to announce upgrades to PowerMac this and PowerBook that, and the G5 is needed now for the pro line and not the consumer line. Apple needs to get some balls on their consumer computers to compete with P4s pronto. This does not mean G5 iBooks, but it does mean G5 iMacs and Line-in ports on everything now that GarageBand is out there - don't even try to tell me that a line-in jack is a "pro" feature. Get USB 2 ports on the eMac already. Make a headless consumer system that has at least 1 PCI and a replaceable AGP video card.

Some mentioned that the iMac uses some PowerBook tech as an excuse for the iMac not getting a G5 until after the preciousss PowerBooks get it. I would think that making a G5 work in the iMac case would be doable sooner than trying to get it to work in a 1 thick notebook case.

And whatever they do, let's hope it's not another "20th anniversary Mac" like the last one, which was nearly a year late and cost $10,000! HELLO! I thought this was supposed to be the computer for the rest of us, not the rest of Steve's rich friends who could afford such a thing. I could hope they will announce a 20" 2.0 GHz G5 iMac for $2000, but they won't. They'll probably price it at $2495 to "celebrate" the original Mac price.

LimeiBook86
Jan 25, 2004, 02:27 AM
I'm a bit late to the party but, I brought a picture for everyone!

Happy Birthday Macintosh! Without you my creativity would be severley limted.

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/happy_20th_macintosh_web.jpg

To 20 years more! <raises glass of apple juice>...

~Shard~
Jan 25, 2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
To 20 years more! <raises glass of apple juice>...

You know, I like that idea so much, I'm going to go out of my way to have a glass of apple juice on Monday, just to celebrate. Cheesy? Nah, I think it's cool... :cool:

LimeiBook86
Jan 25, 2004, 02:41 AM
Right on! :cool:

the future
Jan 25, 2004, 03:30 AM
I think the biggest and best thing Apple could do on monday (or tuesday, or someday) would be to introduce a new line of headless machines with single G5s and make the Power Mac lineup all-dual. And I wouldn't mind at all if the new machines would look something like this...

(http://www.conf.co.jp/new_folder/making/cube_9.html)

Squire
Jan 25, 2004, 03:38 AM
That's pretty cool. If they did make a G5 Cube and wanted to keep the same form factor as the PowerMac line, that would be spot on. (I wonder how many fans could fit in that little box, though.)

Squire

desdomg
Jan 25, 2004, 03:55 AM
Sorry to butt in here, but having spent the last 15 mins reading all the posts in the iTMS for Europe thread I was really miffed that on reaching the end the moderators had closed it. Doh! How do I contribute to the discussion now Stormtroopers? Your closing the thread is a bit extreme. I think it would have been a good idea to issue a warning to those flame throwing contributors first dont you think? Or at least indicating that the thread was "closed" on the Macrumors front page so that those of us who like to contribute to threads we read would be able to properly decide whether to read it or not. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. In case you didn't notice there were lots of people contributing to the discussion just fine.

Finiksa
Jan 25, 2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by desdomg
Sorry to butt in here

Your post is irrelevant, if you want to complain start a new thread or contact a moderator.

iPost
Jan 25, 2004, 04:52 AM
Did the "Mac" really survive to turn 20?

To me, Steve Jobs killed "the Mac" when he killed OS 9.

OS X is wonderful and I haven't looked back, but these new systems we use are Macs in name only. It's great that Apple replaced the Mac with a UNIX machine and brought the ease-of-use of the original Mac to UNIX (or did NextStep do that?), but I don't think it's accurate to say that the Mac is still alive, except in spirit only. I'm sure many will disagree... but hey, I like to cause trouble ;-) ...which is why I use a Mac (or whatever you call it ;-)

desdomg
Jan 25, 2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Finiksa
Your post is irrelevant, if you want to complain start a new thread or contact a moderator.

I think the only irrelevant post here is yours. What was the point of it exactly? The point of mine WAS to complain and make the issue known to a moderator!

true777
Jan 25, 2004, 07:02 AM
desdomg:

This is the "Happy Birthday, Mac" thread, and I fail to see how
your posts are at all related to the topic.
This has been a great, fun thread so far, with lots of interesting personal stories, and I hope we can get back to the topic now!

desdomg
Jan 25, 2004, 07:06 AM
desdomg:

This is the "Happy Birthday, Mac" thread, and I fail to see how
your posts are at all related to the topic.
This has been a great, fun thread so far, with lots of interesting personal stories, and I hope we can get back to the topic now!

Please carry on. Enjoy your thread.

splashman
Jan 25, 2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by the future
I think the biggest and best thing Apple could do on monday (or tuesday, or someday) would be to introduce a new line of headless machines with single G5s and make the Power Mac lineup all-dual. And I wouldn't mind at all if the new machines would look something like this...

Heh heh. The "Fat Mac" lives again!

MrSmith
Jan 25, 2004, 07:26 AM
Everyone is waiting for the big news, including me, who's in the market for something new this year, and there isn't anything suitable yet. But I was thinking...this is the 20th anniversary, and not particularly important as birthdays go (for a machine, at least). If something big is released on Monday then it will set a precedent. What will we expect for the 21st!! The 25th anniversary, then the 30th, not to mention every birthday in between... If nothing is released Jan 24th every year they'll be a lot of disappointed people...and it may be taken as a negative sign - when, of course, it shouldn't be. The natural progression of technology follows a course completely unconnected with historical dates.

It seems to me very wise of Apple not to fall into the trap of giving us loyal users a big surprise this time around and making a rod for their own backs in the future.

Having said that, the 21st IS a big event...the G6 perhaps!?

Whatever, looking forward to my third computer: this, my second, a G3. My first... a ZX81. Can anyone beat an 18 year gap? Never owned a Windows machine though :)

Krizoitz
Jan 25, 2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by u2mr2os2
And whatever they do, let's hope it's not another "20th anniversary Mac" like the last one, which was nearly a year late and cost $10,000! HELLO! I thought this was supposed to be the computer for the rest of us, not the rest of Steve's rich friends who could afford such a thing. I could hope they will announce a 20" 2.0 GHz G5 iMac for $2000, but they won't. They'll probably price it at $2495 to "celebrate" the original Mac price.

Couple things.
1) The 20th Aniversary Mac was under Amelio not Steve Jobs/John Ives

2) A 1.6 ghz G5 + 20" screen costs over $3000, an iMac that came in at $2500 would be well worth the price

3) You get what you pay for. After watching countless friends have problem after problem with Compaqs/Dells/HPs etc I don't mind paying a little more money now for higher quality in the long run

Krizoitz
Jan 25, 2004, 07:28 AM
Exabyte...That's next after Terabyte, right?:confused:
Man, I feel stupid!

Correct, followed by Petabyte

true777
Jan 25, 2004, 07:30 AM
BTW - after getting together with friends in Sunnyvale tonight, I decided to drive by Apple, just to see if any lat-night festivities were going on (since Cupertino is right next to Sunnyvale and it was only a five-minute detour from my drive home). Anyway - nothing!

I was pretty disappointed. There weren't even any cars in their lot.
It was 1.30am already, though, so maybe they're all just early risers and things had been happening earlier in the evening. Oh well. Seems like they're all work - no play these days.

Krizoitz
Jan 25, 2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by iPost

OS X is wonderful and I haven't looked back, but these new systems we use are Macs in name only. It's great that Apple replaced the Mac with a UNIX machine and brought the ease-of-use of the original Mac to UNIX (or did NextStep do that?), but I don't think it's accurate to say that the Mac is still alive, except in spirit only. I'm sure many will disagree... but hey, I like to cause trouble ;-) ...which is why I use a Mac (or whatever you call it ;-)

While the Mac OS is different in many ways, it is so much the same. The same ease of use, the attention to detail, the desire to put the user first. Apple showed with MacOS X that it could take a powerful but somewhat less than easy to use core and wrap it in Mac goodness and excell. I have had LESS problems with OS X than I ever did with OS 9 and before. Do you all remember extension conflicts ?!? *shudder*. Microsoft is STILL trying to make their GUI work over DOS. So the doc is different from the original Apple menu? So the buttons are all on one side, its the spirit of the Mac that makes it a Mac, not whether the windows look the same. Heck if you Compare System 1, MacOS 9 and Panther, I'd say MacOS 9 is more like Panther than the original System. (And you thought you were going to get tarred and feathered :D )

Krizoitz
Jan 25, 2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by desdomg
Sorry to butt in here, but having spent the last 15 mins reading all the posts in the iTMS for Europe thread I was really miffed that on reaching the end the moderators had closed it. Doh! How do I contribute to the discussion now Stormtroopers? Your closing the thread is a bit extreme. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. In case you didn't notice there were lots of people contributing to the discussion just fine.

I think they did the right thing. When a thread starts turning into a relgious and politcal war, warnings wont help. Rather than let things escalate they cut it off at the source to calm things down. Maybe they will oepn up a new thread, or re-open the current one once people have calmed down. Most people around here are pretty good at behaving but when people start swearing and personally insulting people and their beliefs its gone to far.

splashman
Jan 25, 2004, 07:57 AM
While the Mac OS is different in many ways, it is so much the same. The same ease of use, the attention to detail, the desire to put the user first. Apple showed with MacOS X that it could take a powerful but somewhat less than easy to use core and wrap it in Mac goodness and excell.

Yes, they did.

I'd like to point out that a sea-change occurred between 9 and X: suddenly the UI emphasis was on eye candy over functionality. For instance, the window controls are now grouped together (red, yellow, green). Was the change made for improved functionality? No -- any UI expert (and common sense) will tell you that the destructive control (red) should be widely separated from the non-destructive controls (yellow and green). Funny, that's just like OS9! Did Apple make the change to be more like Windoze? No, they're on the wrong side (just the other day, an acquaintance was on my machine, and asked where the window buttons were). So why did Apple make the change? Because they liked the traffic-light metaphor (eye candy). Before you argue that the metaphor is user-friendly, Ask Tog (http://www.asktog.com/).

Of course X has lots of goodies that I like. But it was 2 big steps forward and one big unnecessary step back, mostly in the name of consumer-pleasing eye candy. Apple is slowly giving us back some of the functionality we lost (like labels), and cleaning up the worst of the UI gaffes. I look forward to the day that I feel as good about X as I did 9.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 25, 2004, 08:09 AM
Believe it or not, the small TV studio I own--CSMMTV--(http://cstv.coresoftcomputers.com in a shameless plug)
still uses an Amiga 1000 for CG. I believe it - when something "just works", why replace it?

ph_555_shag
Jan 25, 2004, 08:14 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :D

eric_n_dfw
Jan 25, 2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Scottgfx
As an employee of Commodore once said... "Commodore isn't a computer company, they are a company that makes widgets." I may be paraphrasing a bit, but just imagine what would have happened if Apple bought Amiga before Commodore? Sadly, Commodore never knew what to do with the Amiga technology.Yeah, I worked for Commodore-Amiga briefly as an "Amiga Student On Campus Consultant" at U of AZ during the spring of 1991. I was supposed to basically be a salesperson and to help support users in the area. The trick was to do it with no budget. I got paid a pittance and they wouldn't even give me demo machines. (I had one A3000/25 in the student union that was placed there by a local Amiga dealer) The most I was given was some banners, t-shirts and glossy's. Meanwhile Apple and IBM are pouring $1000's into events on the mall and whatnot. It was very frustrating.

They eventually laid of my boss and I never heard back from Commodore. (Heck, maybe I was still on their payroll 'till they shut their doors!)

NewTek did more for the Amiga than Commodore ever would have.

PS: My brother's got an old A2500 that I've been thinking of taking, but I've got no room for it. :(

Les Kern
Jan 25, 2004, 08:38 AM
Monday could be great timing for me. I'm about to put an order in for 600K worth of Apple stuff.
At the end of February I go to Cupertino, all expenses paid by Apple!
I'd love to see some upgrades on their desktops. G5 laptops are not a big issue with me, but I plan on getting about 150 iBooks, and G4 is fine. However, with this possible "big" event, it could make some prices drop so I can get even more.

Happy birthday Apple, from a guy using your gear since 1985.

sushi
Jan 25, 2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by u2mr2os2
Yeah, it was a bit expensive when it was introduced. And it didn't sell that well. They only made something like 12,000 of them.

Having said that, some of us got ours for $2,000 when they liquidated the stock.

In a word, at that price and time, it was a wonderful computer.

And today, it still is. It works fine with System 7.6 through System 9.2 (Which I run on mine).

It has a built in TV Tuner.

Nice sounding Bose stereo system. Very nice sounding. Beats most computer speaker systems that I have heard.

Can be accelerated to a G3/500 (Sonnet Tech Crescendo/L2 accelerator). Pretty decent performance for most Office and other similar type apps.

Can install up to 128MB of RAM which is enough for most common uses.

Not sure of the maximum size one can use, but upgraded to a 20GB HD with no problems.

And you can use USB and FW devices via the PCI expansion slot. So you can always add more external storage.

Ethernet is no problem.

And the display...simply awesome. Very very nice. (I say that compared to my 22 inch Cinema Display).

Overall the TAM looks very cool! A very nice well thought out design when they were made.

I would love seeing Apple create something similar with today's technology. Especially if Apple could offer it for $2,500 or less.

Then again, I may just be dreaming...

Sushi

Krizoitz
Jan 25, 2004, 09:06 AM
Before you argue that the metaphor is user-friendly, Ask Tog (http://www.asktog.com/).

I still disagree, alot of new computer users I know find the controls easier, and while the widgets should be seperated they don't need to be so spread out you have to go to different corners.

I have read Tog's stuff and I agree with alot of it, but I don't think he is the final say on UI. Just because he would do it one way doesn't mean that another way isn't good, just that he doesn't think so.

And yes Apple has tried to make the Mac more visually appealing, but thats nothing new. They added color in System 7, and more in Mac OS 8.

gregorypierce
Jan 25, 2004, 09:29 AM

If killing OS9 is killing the Mac then good riddens - the king is dead, long live the king :) As a fairly recent Apple convert I can tell you with absolute certainty, myself and the other 8 people at my office who have recently moved over to the Mac (developers and system admins) would have never even considered doing it with OS9. That was a horrible OS in terms of both technology and feel and I for one am glad that its gone and wish that it would stop coming installed on some machines so I'd have to stop removing that partition when friends and family members ask about it :)

tny
Jan 25, 2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by MrSmith

That's not how Microsoft marketing works. Remember that Microsoft is all about selling to the pointy-haired boss, not college kids: they're about selling Escorts, not mini-Coopers.

http://www.microsoft.com/museum/musTimeline.mspx

Paul Allen and Bill Gates sold their first product in 1975; the company's official start date is I think 1978. Windows shipped in 1985 (though it was announced in 1983). So next year will be Windows' 20th anniversary, and the main thing I expect to see is a press release (like the 20 years of writing software for the Mac press release that came out at MacWorld).

stevestella
Jan 25, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by TheBunnellFarm

my mother would have your tounge hanging out by three or four in the afternoon...

then she would deliver..... a fantastic stuffing and out of this world buns .....

Tom
Stick to the subject fella:D

favpseudonym
Jan 25, 2004, 12:07 PM

i dont think many people agree with your view- myself included. Did Ford kill the Mustang when they went electronic fuel injection? DId Colnago kill the C-40 when they added HP chainstays? Its called technology my friend.
The Mac is not dead, its simply better and more advanced.

brooklyn
Jan 25, 2004, 12:25 PM
Well I just got back from the Menlo Park Mall Apple store and no signs of a birthday bash. I spoke with one of the employees about the rumors floating around of Apple releasing something new. He said he dosn't know anything about it. He said that if there is something out tomorrow, it would probably be something new in the G5 line. Maybe a new Power-Mac G5 or G5 iMac?