Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
I am new to apple hardware, i have an older powermac g4 and have been looking to buy an apple laptop and have recently been offered a new macbook for about $500. Its new and not refurbished and is a 'fell of the truck' type of thing. I was wondering if you guys think its worth it to buy right now, or hold of to see what the new macbooks have to offer? I know its a white macbook and i think its the lowest end one. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Also, if i were to buy it, would i be able to buy the service plan for it?

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I am new to apple hardware, i have an older powermac g4 and have been looking to buy an apple laptop and have recently been offered a new macbook for about $500. Its new and not refurbished and is a 'fell of the truck' type of thing. I was wondering if you guys think its worth it to buy right now, or hold of to see what the new macbooks have to offer? I know its a white macbook and i think its the lowest end one. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Also, if i were to buy it, would i be able to buy the service plan for it?

if fell off the truck means in the US what it does in the UK - then that means stolen

If you go for a service plan you'll probly end up thrown in jail..... watch out for mr big ......he's in with the warders :D

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Check the serial number before you buy it. Like rtrt said, it could be stolen and you'd run into problems trying to get it registered.

If it's not stolen, $500 is a good price. Are you strapped for cash? If you can afford it, I'd probably wait for the new ones.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
well its not stolen exactly. It actually comes from an apple employee who misplaced some product. Well, like everyone else i would like to pay less, especially since all of my money goes to school. It would be risky getting a plan on it?

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
well its not stolen exactly. It actually comes from an apple employee who misplaced some product. Well, like everyone else i would like to pay less, especially since all of my money goes to school. It would be risky getting a plan on it?

If the product was "misplaced" it was probably claimed through insurance. Which means most likely that serial will be blacklisted or some such. You should make the sale contingent on it being eligible for AppleCare. Otherwise, I'd pass. It's not worth the hassle. You can find low end, current gen macbooks with AppleCare for 600-800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.