PDA

View Full Version : Beejive IM Released

Pages : [1] 2

macbookairman
Sep 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Beejive IM has been released.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291720439&mt=8

Its $15.99.

madfresh
Sep 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info! I actually used this before the app store came out on their site.

EDIT: $15.99! :mad:

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
macbookairman, thanks!!! awesome.........though how did you find it without the newly released apps option anymore? you must have been searching for it over, and over, and over again :)

BOUGHT.........

macbookairman
Sep 28, 2008, 05:18 PM
macbookairman, thanks!!! awesome.........though how did you find it without the newly released apps option anymore? you must have been searching for it over, and over, and over again :)

actually i went to the macrumors iPhone page, and on the right of the page it has the list of some new apps. It was right on top :)

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 05:39 PM
okay, first impressions is that this app is hands down the BEST IM app out there. the look and feel is great, the settings options are great. my hats off to the dev. the settings also allow you to remain logged into their servers for up to 24 hours!!! meaning that if you click the home button to do other stuff, messages will get queued up by their servers and when you log back in, those messages will be displayed. also allows you to configure an email message to have messages pushed out to you!!! I haven't tested these features yet, however if they do work.......woohooohoooooo

in any case the list of configurable options in the settings screen is impressive:

Buddy List:

Use Groups: On/Off
Hide Offline: On/Off
Sort By: Display Name/Status

Chats:

Preview In List: 1 Message/2 Messages/3/4/5/All
Chat List Transition: Flip/Slide
Allow Landscape: On/Off

Notifications and Alerts:

Sent IM Sound: On/Off
Received IM Sound: On/Off
Ringer When Inactive: On/Off
Vibrate: On/Off

User Interface:

Buddy List Layout: iPhone/Desktop
Table Divider: Lines/Alternating Colors
Chat Background: Grey/White/iPhone Background

Auto Away:

Auto Away: On/Off

Network and Push:

Push Email Alert: On/Off
Email Address: user defined
Session Timeout: From Logout on exit to 10 minutes all the way up to 24 hours

Misc:

Log Level: Trace/Debug/Info/Error/Silent
Server: user defined

As you can see from the above options, the dev certainly put a lot of thought and work into this app, and as mentioned the interface is simply awesome

I might do a full review sometime later, i'm just so excited about this app

ijohnw
Sep 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
This app looks totally awesome! Although, I went to search for it in the app store on my iphone and it is not there to download yet...have they officially released it yet?

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
This app looks totally awesome! Although, I went to search for it in the app store on my iphone and it is not there to download yet...have they officially released it yet?

yes it's been released, i have it on my iphone. as reported by someone else you can't "search" for it but you can follow the op's link to purchase it from the app store.

i can't describe to you how great it is to finally have a kick ass native IM app. i loved beejive for safari, but this native version app loads my buddy list so much faster than the web app that it doesn't feel like i'm really waiting at all!!!

however one thing to note, i don't see anyway of sending pictures or "voice" msgs to buddies via this app like palringo allows you to do, however for me, i never used such features. i just wanted a nice looking reliable IM app that would continue to queue up messages for a long tim when you weren't actively in the app on your device, and this app does that.

ijohnw
Sep 28, 2008, 06:03 PM
Man..im away for the next couple of days from my home computer so I can't download via itunes on the computer...i wish it was available on app store on the phone..I don't see it there yet...

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hey diesel,

Thanks for the quick review, I'm wondering if you could give us a more detailed review for this app? If you have time though, not rushing you or pressuring you. I just need to be sure that spending almost $16 should be worth it (unlike others out there) but yeah if you have time or if anyone bought this app could you give us a detailed review? Thanks!

The whole 24-hr being logged thing sounds cool to me.

FLAVAH
Sep 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
wow looks promising... it has all the features that one could ask for, and features i know everyone has been waiting for on a native app for the iphone.

is it worth the $16?

im not sure yet. i will wait a couple days to see how everything pans out.

i hope that everything works as advertised, that would be awesome.

POST-EDIT... and i just saw that it also works in landscape... awesome.

Rojo
Sep 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well it's a good thing the App Store now requires you to buy an app before reviewing it, because you KNOW this app would remain at 1-2 stars forever, simply due to the price. I have a feeling this will get a pretty high rating now. But I'm still going to wait, though, and see if it ever drops in price. Palringo, ugly as it is, is fine for now....

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
I bought this app immediately just from what I know of this app on the BB. So far, I am very impressed with the app on the iPhone. Yes it's $16, but that is not alot when considering quality apps not on just the iphone (app store) but across all smart phones. I'm still digging around all the options, but for all those who have been burned by MC (myself included), this app so far has simply just worked brilliantly! Definitely the final nail in the coffin for the MC devs (considering 3.1 still has not been approved).

Falkenhausen
Sep 28, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm curious what about those who doesn't have MobileMe? Would Beejive IM still running 24 hours push without MobileMe?

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm curious what about those who doesn't have MobileMe? Would Beejive IM still running 24 hours push without MobileMe?

I imagine you will still receive the email notification of the received IM, just not instantly if you don't have push email like MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync does. I'm sure this is their workaround until Apple releases their Push Notification service.

madfresh
Sep 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
I would understand if the app was $5, but $15? No way. I won't be bothering with it. The only thing that would make me consider buying this app is if it kept my accounts logged in. Any word on that?

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 07:08 PM
Works very well so far, including push email notifications!!!! I love this app!!!

Jayden0606
Sep 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Man..im away for the next couple of days from my home computer so I can't download via itunes on the computer...i wish it was available on app store on the phone..I don't see it there yet...

It is. You can't search for it. Go to BoyGeniusReport.com and use the link there. I wasn't even able to find it on my PC.

markgamber
Sep 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Nice catch, thanks! Bought and installed here. :-)

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
I would understand if the app was $5, but $15? No way. I won't be bothering with it. The only thing that would make me consider buying this app is if it kept my accounts logged in. Any word on that?

it will keep you logged into the various IM services for a duration of time that you configure, up to 24 hours, even if the app is not actively running on your device

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
Works very well so far, including push email notifications!!!! I love this app!!!

Do you have MobileMe bbplayer5?

I'm also curious about the 24/7, and notifications for non-MobileMe users, will it work?

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
I have mobile me, yes... So far the notifications are perfect.

Jayden0606
Sep 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
Do you have MobileMe bbplayer5?

I'm also curious about the 24/7, and notifications for non-MobileMe users, will it work?

Maybe you can set it up using Yahoo! as it pushes as well.

madfresh
Sep 28, 2008, 07:30 PM
it will keep you logged into the various IM services for a duration of time that you configure, up to 24 hours, even if the app is not actively running on your device

I may have to consider it then, but $15 is still pretty expensive. Obviously, the aim app is crap, but hey, it's free. I take it beejive has really good servers?

macbookairman
Sep 28, 2008, 07:32 PM
It is. You can't search for it. Go to BoyGeniusReport.com and use the link there. I wasn't even able to find it on my PC.

Just use the link that i put in the first post in the thread.

Whorehay
Sep 28, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think they run can run Blackberries 24/7 :)

dranakin
Sep 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
Tempted to buy this just because of the Office Space references in the screenshots...but $16 is a bit much for a mobile application.

macbookairman
Sep 28, 2008, 07:36 PM

After checking again, BeejiveIM is now showing up when you search the App Store.

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
Maybe you can set it up using Yahoo! as it pushes as well.

Is there someone out there who's using YIM on Beejive app on iPhone that could prove the 24/7 works? As well as the notification thingy?

I only have Yahoo OneConnect, but it won't let me logged in after I press the Home button, if Beejive can do this as well as the "pushed" notification (considering I'm not a MobileMe user) and yes I'm sold. Could anyone comment about it?

gospel9
Sep 28, 2008, 07:44 PM
From what I am understanding, the notifications (email) and staying logged for 24 hours are what's worth paying for for the app.

However, for the price of $16 it is really asking for a little bit too much for now.
Yes that's $14 cheaper than the Blackberry version, but for the iphone I think we do have a contender for competition here: Palringo.

We can do a comparison of features and ease of use here..

Picture messaging (using camera, library/screenshot) - Palringo:1, Beejive: 0
Push to talk messaging - Palringo:1, Beejive:0
Setting status on exit - Palringo:1, Beejive:0 (i could be wrong about this)
URL links: Palringo:1, Beejive: 0 (coming soon?)
Group Chats: Palringo:1, Beejive: 0,
Emoticons: Palringo: 1, Beejive:0 (coming soon?) <- would be nice if you can have custom emoticons on the app.

The interface in Palringo also allows swiping the screen to jump to the next chat window... I don't know if Beejive is the same, both interfaces are not perfect although I think I would like Beejive's version a little better.

I also personally feel that the Beejive icon is non-representative and is far from being iconic, totally different from Apple's design cues (but Palringo also suffers from this).

For now, I wouldn't buy it.
This might change in the future of course, but personally I would not buy it unless I absolutely need to be logged on 24 hours+, and notified via email. Whether or not Palringo will support push notification we do not know yet, but it is likely.

My question is then, won't the advantage of having Beejive would be nullified when Push does become available?

We'll have to wait and see.
In my opinion they should have waited a little longer before releasing this version.

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
Is there someone out there who's using YIM on Beejive app on iPhone that could prove the 24/7 works? As well as the notification thingy?

I only have Yahoo OneConnect, but it won't let me logged in after I press the Home button, if Beejive can do this as well as the "pushed" notification (considering I'm not a MobileMe user) and yes I'm sold. Could anyone comment about it?

BeeJive's push notification currently consists of sending an email to the address of your choice. If you don't have push email, the notification will not be immediate. Separate from this, yes, you will be connected 24/7 (configurable) no matter what IM account you use.

markgamber
Sep 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
Seems to be working well for me, notifications and all. I've found a couple bugs but nothing that gets in the way of using it. Buh-bye MobileChat, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 08:24 PM
For now, I wouldn't buy it.
This might change in the future of course, but personally I would not buy it unless I absolutely need to be logged on 24 hours+, and notified via email. Whether or not Palringo will support push notification we do not know yet, but it is likely.

My question is then, won't the advantage of having Beejive would be nullified when Push does become available?

We'll have to wait and see.
In my opinion they should have waited a little longer before releasing this version.

out of curiosity, did you even buy beejive? doen't sound as if you did, so to say that they should have waited longer before releasing.......makes no sense to me.

to each their own. i have no need for picture sending (i use email for that), push to talk (that's what the phone is for), and quite frankly even url links (none of my friends really send me such links). i just want reliable instant messaging with my buddies, especially when i'm on the road for work or in the office and not always when i have the app running. i'm busy throughout the day so i can't be glued to the iphone let alone have the IM app running continuously. hence, my most important criteria is having the app keep me logged in, alerting me to when messages are sent to me so that i can click on the app to converse when i have the time.

however, i do believe that one should always keep a "backup" IM app around just in case, and originally i had hoped that would have been MC but those incompetent morons really shot themselves in the foot and f'ed up so i will also be keeping palringo as that backup IM app since the dev for palringo has been doing a fantastic job in ensuring his app is reliable while continuously adding new features. what i don't really like about palringo when compared to beejive is its user interface as well as lack of notifications and nice long auto login time when the app is not running. not to mention the startup time for beejive is simply amazing, buddy lists come up nearly instantly. with palringo, I have a painful amount of waiting and loading time to login and have the buddy list come up.

TopToffee
Sep 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
looks like a really good app, just don't know if it's QUITE enough better than Palringo to justify an $17.35 outlay (since that's what it works out as here in the UK - we get absolutely screwed on iTunes prices, for no good reason that I can figure out)

Will wait for a few more detailed reviews before I make a decision.

Also... REALLY not wild on the Icon :( ... I know it shouldn't matter, but what can I say, I guess I'm a bit shallow in some ways, but I *do* like my iPhone screen to look nice... especially since this would probably be on the first page.

MSUSpartan
Sep 28, 2008, 08:33 PM
Awesome. My favorite app on the Blackberry and now it's my favorite app on the iPhone.

MobileMe notifications work PERFECTLY.

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
Ive tested every feature I could find so far, and ALL WORK!!!!! This is fantastic.

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
Awesome. My favorite app on the Blackberry and now it's my favorite app on the iPhone.

MobileMe notifications work PERFECTLY.

how do the mobileme notifications work? is it just push email to your mobileme email account? or is there a more "obivious" kind of alert like you receive for sms messages?

by the way, i created a new yahoo mail account (since my primary email is a gmail account and doesn't do push but yahoo does) and configured beejive to push messages to this new yahoo mail account when i receive instant messages when i don't have the app running, and so far this has been working perfectly as well!!!

what's cool is that the email notification actually contains a button that you click on that takes you from the mail app directly into the beejive native app. :)

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
This program is awesome!!!!! And its simply a beta release!! MChat is officially dead unless they can get their app in gear fast. Its cheaper but doesnt work!

This is well worth the price, trust me.

mcdj
Sep 28, 2008, 08:56 PM
beejive has nothing to do with mobile me, or push.

queshy
Sep 28, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hmm, how exactly is thsi better than palringo? Palringo supposedly keeps you logged in, too, and has picture + voice messaging on top of that.
The price is a little too steep for me, and I'll probably wait for push and /or more reviews on this app...

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 09:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

To name a few: Beejive will keep you connected for 24 hours. Palringo only 15 minutes currently. Beejive has a better UI IMHO and has landscape mode. Also has notification alerts (email) of received IM's when app is closed.

soul12
Sep 28, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hmm, how exactly is thsi better than palringo? Palringo supposedly keeps you logged in, too, and has picture + voice messaging on top of that.
The price is a little too steep for me, and I'll probably wait for push and /or more reviews on this app...

currently you're only logged to palringo at a certain number of minutes (i think it's at 15 minutes now). beejive can keep you logged in for 24 hours.

beejive is faster, well-thought UI (i don't like palringo's 'send' button near the spacebar), bigger fonts (palringo's too small), landscape IM.

I don't do picture (that's for mail), and voice (that's for phonecalls). :)

I still keep palringo since the developer always update it.

EDIT: oops whatever i said, kevin said faster :)

jcde7ago
Sep 28, 2008, 09:10 PM

Per the description on Beejive's AppStore page:

"Be connected even after you close the application. Get notified instantly when you get a new message (requires MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync push email)."

So, the guy actually did know what he was talking about, and you kind of...don't. :rolleyes:

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Per the description on Beejive's AppStore page:

"Be connected even after you close the application. Get notified instantly when you get a new message (requires MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync push email)."

So, the guy actually did know what he was talking about, and you kind of...don't. :rolleyes:

Beejive will keep you logged in for 24 hours (when app is closed) regardless. MM or exchange (or any type of push email like yahoo) is needed for instant notification (via email) of a received IM when the app is closed.

Stargaze
Sep 28, 2008, 09:17 PM
quite the price tag however has some features that are very unique features that no other im program is offering yet!

OneMike
Sep 28, 2008, 09:18 PM
Looks like the best IM app so far but with free alternatives like AIM for those just needing AIM access or IM+ not sure if this is worth it. Those still have bugs and issues but that can be resolved. Kinda early at least for me to dish out $16 for an IM app.

madfresh

To name a few: Beejive will keep you connected for 24 hours. Palringo only 15 minutes currently. Beejive has a better UI IMHO and has landscape mode. Also has notification alerts (email) of received IM's when app is closed.

That just made this app seem a little more interesting/appealing to me.

Bernie-Mac
For $16 they should have an option to text you im alerts when your out of the app like mobilechat does (or at least did)

blumpy
Sep 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
While I've been waiting for background notification for aim/ichat, you can have AOL send my a txt message when you're not logged into AIM.

http://aolmobile.aol.com/

or

In iChat -> preferences -> aim or mobileme to register your phone -> click mobile forwarding button and follow the directions.

You can even reply via sms.

Call me cheap but I would have bought beejive if it were $5.... everyone would buy it if it were $1.

Guess they don't realize the value of market saturation.

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
For $16 they should have an option to text you im alerts when your out of the app like mobilechat does (or at least did)

They probably will in an upcoming version. They are probably testing to see what their servers can handle first.

That would be sick too!

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
While I've been waiting for background notification for aim/ichat, you can have AOL send my a txt message when you're not logged into AIM.

or

In iChat -> preferences -> aim or mobileme to register your phone -> click mobile forwarding button and follow the directions.

Call me cheap but I would have bought beejive if it were $5.... everyone would buy it if it were $1.

Problem with that is, most people wont message me if im listed as on mobile... not sure why, they just dont. This way I appear online and ready to reply.

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
BeeJive's push notification currently consists of sending an email to the address of your choice. If you don't have push email, the notification will not be immediate. Separate from this, yes, you will be connected 24/7 (configurable) no matter what IM account you use.

Thanks for the update! So it emails you a notification, then my Y!mail (since it's push enabled) will notify me. Got it! Appreciate your quick responses guys.

(If only iPhone will let you open App links on Safari, but they disabled it sigh where is it)
EDIT: found

notredewey
Sep 28, 2008, 09:24 PM

BOUGHT.........

Yea I noticed the lack of the "All iPhone Apps" link all of a sudden today. I used to click on that everyday and sort by newly released to see whats new. Any word on what happened here? It's like I'm lost in the appstore now.

blumpy
Sep 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
Problem with that is, most people wont message me if im listed as on mobile... not sure why, they just dont. This way I appear online and ready to reply.

The only problem is "push" email taking 45 minutes to drag an email from the server. Hopefully the next iphone update will have "shove" email instead of "gently nudge" email.

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 09:30 PM

I don't think MC did anything special in this area. As you recall, MC only allowed the txt message alerts for AIM accounts and i think .mac accounts. AIM has native architecture that allows you to configure a phone number to send text messages to when you're set to away. I'm sure all MC did was enable this when they kept you connected. So to imply that they "built" this is simply not true.

You could go into your desktop aim app, configure the appropriat settings so that you receive a text message when set to away, and when you log into aim via some other app, and set yourself to away and receive a message, you will receive a text message.

This won't work for the other IM services on MC because as mentioned, MC did not build anything special to handle this type of functionality. They just put up "smoke and mirrors" to give the illusion that this was something special that they built.

Amt
Sep 28, 2008, 09:31 PM
I love this app so much. <3

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 09:31 PM
The only problem is "push" email taking 45 minutes to drag an email from the server. Hopefully the next iphone update will have "shove" email instead of "gently nudge" email.

I created a brand new yahoo (push) mail account and configured beejive to push emails to this address. and it works. yahoo is push so notifications are relatively instataneous.

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 09:36 PM

I love this app so much. <3
+1

Totally worth 16 bucks and it's only the first version for the iPhone. These guys know what they are doing and are proven.

spyker3292
Sep 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
It looks great, but I'm not paying $16. If apple didn't fix the review process this app would have a pretty bad rating already :P (not because of me though ;)).

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
for those who say $16 is to expensive, there will probably be no reason to convince them that beejive is worth it.

with that said, i REALLY REALLY hope that the beejive dev DOES NOT lower the price and have their servers flooded by the masses. i like it just the way it is :)

kevin512
Sep 28, 2008, 09:41 PM

for those who say $16 is to expensive, there will probably be no reason to convince them that beejive is worth it.

with that said, i REALLY REALLY hope that the beejive dev DOES NOT lower the price and have their servers flooded by the masses. i like it just the way it is :)

I agree. If you want cheap, then buy MC and see what you get.

ntrigue
Sep 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
I've seen the progression of Apps. When do we see a 24 hour sale on this App?

What am I paying for today that justifies $15.99?

Telp
Sep 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
Looks and sounds very nice, but there is no way im spending 15.99 on this. I will just continue to suffer with AIM...

xavierserranoa
Sep 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
the app looksgreat it has some features i wish my current IM app for iphone would have but something stopped me and it was the priced i think is way too much for an IM application i prefer to wait for push notifications to come out and the UI doesnt look that cool i use palringo and i like it i like how it looks thats why i prefer it over IM+ there is also mobilechat another IM app out there and it was from what i have read the same features as these one and cost less but still i think im waiting for Palringo to release updates that would incorporote the features i want and it'll still be free

Nikhil72
Sep 28, 2008, 10:01 PM

Haven't tried this out yet but in theory you could also set your text address as your notification email. That can notify you via text of a new IM and it should happen as fast as push email.

MGLXP
Sep 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know if Beejive IM supports Buddy icons for Windows Live? I'm really tempted to buy this after my experience with MobileChat.

Mr. Zorg
Sep 28, 2008, 10:05 PM

They probably will in an upcoming version. They are probably testing to see what their servers can handle first.

That would be sick too!

Since previous messages indicate you can use any email address you want (but they say MobleMe/Exchange will give you instant notification due to their push feature), if you want SMS notification, you should be able to use "your_10digit_phone_number@txt.att.net" and get notifications that way... I think I might just get this!

Bassir
Sep 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
How does the 24/7 connection and notification work?

Stebus
Sep 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think people understand that the cost of running servers that keeps people connected for up to 24 hours rather than servers that only keep you connected for less than an hour would be quite a lot more. I consider that a premium service and I am willing to pay a premium for that.

Also, when you actually use it you can see how much work has been put into it. To sit here saying that it should be cheaper even though it is far and above the best IM client for the iPhone is insulting to the developers. When someone else can deliver all the features this App has at $5.99, I'll believe it's overpriced. Until then this is a great app and after using it after MC or Palringo you'll believe that too.

chr1s60
Sep 28, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm sure this is a great app, but $16 is too much for this type of app, IMO. I could understand $5 or even a little closer to $10, this just seems too expensive and the price will likely discourage a lot of people from buying the app.

ojstagg93
Sep 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
look on the bright side guys at least its 5 bucks cheaper then the blackberry version!

diesel
Sep 28, 2008, 10:24 PM
Since previous messages indicate you can use any email address you want (but they say MobleMe/Exchange will give you instant notification due to their push feature), if you want SMS notification, you should be able to use "your_10digit_phone_number@txt.att.net" and get notifications that way... I think I might just get this!

Great idea, i'm going to give this a try!!! however keep in mind that with txt messages i don't think the button link that you find in the email notification to take you directly to the beejive app will be in the txt message.

also........something that annoys me about txt messages is how it is "publicly" displayed for anywhere within eyeshot to see. so if you want a lot more privacy, then the yahoo push email is the way to go

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 10:27 PM

I was just browsing the ATT website trying to look for that email stuff so we could get in SMS, and voila! here you post it! Thank you!

And by the way it is WORKING! A must if you really can't wait for that push notification supported by emails (like Yahoo!)

Edit: Again that's your <10 digit phone number>@txt.att.net
Just make sure people your SMS plan will cover this or else you might pay more
that what you expect.

queshy
Sep 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
Ok. I'm convinced. 24 hours is great! Let's try it out...mobile chat has sucked away all my patience and I'm tired of waiting for them to "fix it"

slapppy
Sep 28, 2008, 10:28 PM
I was just browsing the ATT website trying to look for that email stuff so we could get in SMS, and voila! here you post it! Thank you!

And by the way it is WORKING! A must if you really can't wait for that push notification supported by emails (like Yahoo!)

If you don't have unlimited texting, won't you get dinged by AT&T with their silly charges per message?

bug67
Sep 28, 2008, 10:29 PM
Considering I spent $50.00 for IM+ when I had my Blackberry, and it wasn't even half the app Beejive is, $15.99 is a steal! I would have gladly paid more if they would've asked for it. It simply blows everything else out of the water. All you naysayers really owe it to yourselves to suck it up and buy this app.

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 10:29 PM
And dont forget, every time you log in, it resets that 24 hours ;) So basically if you use the program 1 time a day, you will be logged in forever.

Beejive did it right, iPhone finally has instant messaging!

blumpy
Sep 28, 2008, 10:33 PM
Considering I spent $50.00 for IM+ when I had my Blackberry, and it wasn't even half the app Beejive is, $15.99 is a steal! I would have gladly paid more if they would've asked for it. It simply blows everything else out of the water. All you naysayers really owe it to yourselves to suck it up and buy this app.

Being ripped off less isn't a deal. It's simply not worth $16.

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
If you don't have unlimited texting, won't you get dinged by AT&T with their silly charges per message?

I just edited my post to cover that section, yeah just make sure your
text plan will cover this if you opt to use that 10digitcelnumber@txt.att.net option

(As of now, I only have $5 worth of SMS - 200 messages, now down to 84 left lol)

blumpy
Sep 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
I created a brand new yahoo (push) mail account and configured beejive to push emails to this address. and it works. yahoo is push so notifications are relatively instataneous.

I used yahoo's push notification too. It's no better then mobileme's push email service. It works 60-70% of the time as you would hope.

dissdnt
Sep 28, 2008, 10:45 PM
15.99 ew..

the only thing cool about it is the fact it says "chats" on it..

Warbrain
Sep 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
It's a great app but it's definitely not worth the 16 bucks. If they priced it at 10 or less, though...it's an entirely different game.

jhkaplan
Sep 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
Works great, not sure if it's worth the $16, but I defnitely like it better than Palringo. I can't get the phone number/text notification to work though. I set it up with 10digitcell#@txt.att.net Any suggestions?

LinMac
Sep 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
I like the application and it seems to work well.

$16 is a bit expensive, but I've spent $9.99 on games that I don't even use so it isn't so bad.

jhkaplan
Sep 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
Works great, not sure if it's worth the $16, but I defnitely like it better than Palringo. I can't get the phone number/text notification to work though. I set it up with 10digitcell#@txt.att.net Any suggestions?

Nevermind, all of the texts just game. About 5 minutes late, so this "push" solution's not going to work.

bbplayer5
Sep 28, 2008, 10:58 PM
16 bucks isnt expensive if you plan to use it a TON.

damnyooneek
the best IM program for the iPhone. it's expensive but it works . the animations are smooth and the landscape keyboard is great. bejive's servers save your IM while the program isnt running and if you have mobileme you can get a push notification through your email so essentially you can always stay signed on.

slapppy
So does this mean I can chat with SMS users through Beejive without incurring SMS charges? So its basically having unlimited SMS through the Beejive?

Van Wildonher
Sep 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
So what happens to your "saved" messages when you log on with your computer before logging on with the phone?

Rayfire
Sep 28, 2008, 11:31 PM
So does this mean I can chat with SMS users through Beejive without incurring SMS charges? So its basically having unlimited SMS through the Beejive?

Hmm what I see right now is YIM offers to send SMS message from your messenger, you just need to provide the right mobile number of your contact and he/she just needs to reply to it, so pretty much it's free on your side.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any methods.

xolan99
Sep 28, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wow. Just wow. I love this app already.

bug67
Sep 28, 2008, 11:53 PM
Being ripped off less isn't a deal. It's simply not worth $16.

Not a rip off if you want an IM application that works. None of the others do.

bmb012
Sep 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
Well I'm going to go ahead and drop my 15 bucks of extra text messages, so it's already worth it to me. Landscape mode? Hell yes!

No IM app yet that I have tried has let you use the address book names for nicknames yet. I really don't feel like typing in all the nicknames again... Is there a way to import that into Beejive that I'm not seeing?

15 bucks is too expensive? Do you people never eat?

Nikhil72
Sep 29, 2008, 12:10 AM

I'm in love with this app. Easily one of the best designed apps thus far.

rockosmodurnlif
Sep 29, 2008, 12:10 AM

Absolutely right. Never paid for IMing before, I certainly am not going to start now. If I read this app right, it's essentially Adium for the iPhone?

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 29, 2008, 12:39 AM
To me, this is a rip off. $16 bucks for a im app? Doesn't matter that it is THE im app of the day, but I could buy like 2-3 games for that. Heck, $20 a month pays for unlimited texting... rip off.

techpr
Sep 29, 2008, 12:52 AM
I was ready to test this app and the $15.99 tag stopped me :mad:
If $4.99 to $9.99 I will buy it.

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 12:52 AM

Hardly a rip off! Any quality IM app that leaves you logged in 24/7 is going to cost some money. No app does this but Beejive. MC costs 3 bucks and they are no where close to providing this type of service. Palringo is a decent app keeping you logged on for 15 mins, but if they are going to keep you logged in 24/7, they will eventually have to charge or add advertisements to support the server infrastructure that would be needed.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 12:54 AM
To me, this is a rip off. $16 bucks for a im app? Doesn't matter that it is THE im app of the day, but I could buy like 2-3 games for that. Heck, $20 a month pays for unlimited texting... rip off.

???

you point out that $20/month pays for unlimited texting.........and you seem to imply because of that, a one time fee of $16 for unlimited IM access via this app is a rip off?

hmmm let's work out the math here, after a year of $20/month, that comes out to $240 for the year for unlimited text messagig, compare that to a single payment of $16 for beejive................

hence, i fail to see what point if any you were trying to make.

as for 2-3 games. yes you could buy the games, but i highly doubt you'll still be playing the majority of any games you purchase 6 months out or even a few months out. i'm sure you'll still be IM-ing 6 months out, a year out, and more than a year out

jcde7ago
Sep 29, 2008, 01:12 AM
***For people with jailbroken phones***

If you're like me, and you like to have sent/received tones with your IM's, but absolutely DESPISE Beejive's default send/receive tones, i went ahead and copied AIM's send/receive tones and replaced Beejive's with them. Now when i chat, i have the AIM sounds instead, which is much better sounding than Beejive's.

You'll need to SSH into your private/var/mobile/Applications/[bunch of numbers where your app is, you'll have to open all until you find it]/Beejive.app

Drop these two files in there, and replace the originals (which you should backup just in case).

domness
Sep 29, 2008, 01:23 AM
It crashed in the first 2 mins of using it. Arn't I pissed off!

Daremo
Sep 29, 2008, 01:32 AM
It this were one year ago, and there was no subsidized iPhones out there, and the iPhone was still $600 (when it initially came out) I doubt people would be crying over the price of these apps. Those who used to own other smart phones, sees this as a steal. But, putting this phone in the price range of just about anyone (even kids mowing lawns for the summer) people are crying about $16. I spend more then that at Starbucks in a week, or going to see one movie with popcorn and a drink. $16 for a ROCK SOLID IM app that works, is well worth it.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 01:34 AM
It crashed in the first 2 mins of using it. Arn't I pissed off!

i haven't had any crashes yet. but then again my iphone hasn't been jailbroken

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 01:35 AM
These BeeJive devs don't understand the sheer number of people who will purchase their app once they bring it down below the $5 mark!! I hope that they have an adequate amont of servers!

@domness - I can't believe that this app is crashing already! It shouldn't take up much memory. That's not a great sign, considering many people are saying that this is the best IM app by far. If it crashes like all the rest, maybe they should consider lowering the price immediately!

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 01:38 AM
It this were one year ago, and there was no subsidized iPhones out there, and the iPhone was still $600 (when it initially came out) I doubt people would be crying over the price of these apps. Those who used to own other smart phones, sees this as a steal. But, putting this phone in the price range of just about anyone (even kids mowing lawns for the summer) people are crying about $16. I spend more then that at Starbucks in a week, or going to see one movie with popcorn and a drink. $16 for a ROCK SOLID IM app that works, is well worth it.

yeah it really makes me wonder if those who are complaining about the price of any app regardless of the price are those who have no money issues and can easily pay the price but for whatever reason feel it's too "expensive" and don't buy out of principle or those who are complaining do have certain financial issues and that price is out of their range and they are just not happy about it

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 01:42 AM
diesel, get with the prograom. Jailbreak that iPuppy and set it free! If it weren't for the jailbroken apps, Steve Jobs would never have developed resident apps on the iPhone. The Apple execs were so in love with web apps - that was their great idea. They didn't realize that the web isn't accessible quite a bit on mobile phones! They saw the success of jailbroken apps and saw dollar signs!!

Manic Mouse
Sep 29, 2008, 01:48 AM
I must say I am beyond impressed with this app. I tried IM+ and while it worked it was quite clunky and slow. This app is amazing, the amount of polish for a 1.0 release is insane. It keeps you logged in for 24 hours, it looks beautiful and it is FAST.

Yes, it is expensive. But it is an extremely high quality app, one of the best I've seen on the app store.

domness
Sep 29, 2008, 01:49 AM
Me and a number of others are getting Time Out errors, can their servers really take it?

EDIT: Okay, now it let me login but as soon as i accessed the buddy list it crashed and took my back to the springboard.

EDIT: Third time lucky!

crackermun
Sep 29, 2008, 01:49 AM

I bought MobileChat the day it came out and I just bought this a few moments ago. I need to be connected to IM for work so the price doesn't scare me. Regardless, I can't connect to AIM at all.

I imagine the problem with these 2 companies is they have to setup their own servers (to keep you logged in) and then proxy your data back up to the "IM Provider Cloud" - I have a feeling their servers can't handle the load. As it stands I'm getting a "timed.out" error - I've mentioned it on their forums hopefully they address this issue otherwise this app is another turd.

-Paul

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 01:50 AM
diesel, it's out of principle for some, but I'm sure that some people find it difficult to afford it. And just because people choose to pay an exorbitant price for apps for the Blackberry doesn't mean that others will pay the same price for apps for the iPhone - and the same will be true for Android phones. Additionally, prices in the App Store, like any other market, are set by supply and demand, and, considering the fact that there are other competitors at a lower price (who offer a similar product); the fact that push notification is still not possible (I don't want to receive an e-mail as a reminder of each IM - how lame!); and the fact that BeeJive is a new app (that already seems to be crashing), BeeJive's developers need to realize really soon that they need to lower the price to attract a significant number of iPhone users. The pricepoint is too high for the iPhone app market.

yeah it really makes me wonder if those who are complaining about the price of any app regardless of the price are those who have no money issues and can easily pay the price but for whatever reason feel it's too "expensive" and don't buy out of principle or those who are complaining do have certain financial issues and that price is out of their range and they are just not happy about it

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 01:50 AM
diesel, get with the prograom. Jailbreak that iPuppy and set it free! If it weren't for the jailbroken apps, Steve Jobs would never have developed resident apps on the iPhone. The Apple execs were so in love with web apps - that was their great idea. They didn't realize that the web isn't accessible quite a bit on mobile phones! They saw the success of jailbroken apps and saw dollar signs!!

hahahahahaha

interesting theory, but i highly doubt that's how it played out and that jailbroken phones were the motivation for supporting native apps. it probably didn't play into their plan at all. i'm sure apple had a long term plan that called initially for web 2.0 apps to whet our appetities, then a transition to native apps, to correspond with their broader 3g strategy. at the end of the day, $$$$ drove apple to allow native apps, $$$$ in the form of taking a % of every paid app via their app store. most likely planned long before the iphone's initial release. successful companies like apple do not become successful by "winging" it quarter by quarter, but by executing on their longer term strategy that could go out a few years if not longer. most of everything that has transpired to date was planned, long in advance.

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 01:52 AM
How do you know that it will keep you logged in for 25 hours when this app has not even been out for a day? Please stop with the exaggeration! At least wait a day or two before making such comments!!

I must say I am beyond impressed with this app. I tried IM+ and while it worked it was quite clunky and slow. This app is amazing, the amount of polish for a 1.0 release is insane. It keeps you logged in for 25 hours, it looks beautiful and it is FAST.

Yes, it is expensive. But it is an extremely high quality app, one of the best I've seen on the app store.

attila
Sep 29, 2008, 01:53 AM
After wasting money on MobileChat and being quite fond of Parlingo which is free, I won't even try this app for $15 :mad:

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 01:53 AM
Me and a number of others are getting Time Out errors, can their servers really take it?

EDIT: Okay, now it let me login but as soon as i accessed the buddy list it crashed and took my back to the springboard.

EDIT: Third time lucky!

i ran into a similar problem but realized i was logged into yahoo via trillian and it was constantly trying to reconnect automatically, and i think that caused a clash for that same account on beejive and wouldn't let me log into that yahoo account in beejive. i just closed out trillian and didn't have a problem since. maybe it was coincidence but something to think about.

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 01:59 AM
I hope that you're right. I also hope that they, along with AT&T, have a great plan for getting a betting 3G signal because mine still sucks! I get dropped calls left and right and poor reception (and I'm in the northern NJ/New York City area)! I keep it on EDGE during the daytime because the 3G signal is abysmal! It's too bad that Apple didn't have enough people testing this phone to realize that the towers in large metropolitan cities wouldn't be able to handle the increased number of users. It's the same issue that MobileChat experienced and that BeeJive is experiencing right now - haha!

hahahahahaha

interesting theory, but i highly doubt that's how it played out and that jailbroken phones were the motivation for supporting native apps. it probably didn't play into their plan at all. i'm sure apple had a long term plan that called initially for web 2.0 apps to whet our appetities, then a transition to native apps, to correspond with their broader 3g strategy. at the end of the day, $$$$ drove apple to allow native apps, $$$$ in the form of taking a % of every paid app via their app store. most likely planned long before the iphone's initial release. successful companies like apple do not become successful by "winging" it quarter by quarter, but by executing on their longer term strategy that could go out a few years if not longer. most of everything that has transpired to date was planned, long in advance.

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 02:01 AM
diesel, have you heard if Trillian will be making an iPhone app? I have used Trillian on my desktop, and I really like it.

i ran into a similar problem but realized i was logged into yahoo via trillian and it was constantly trying to reconnect automatically, and i think that caused a clash for that same account on beejive and wouldn't let me log into that yahoo account in beejive. i just closed out trillian and didn't have a problem since. maybe it was coincidence but something to think about.

Manic Mouse
Sep 29, 2008, 02:01 AM
How do you know that it will keep you logged in for 25 hours when this app has not even been out for a day? Please stop with the exaggeration! At least wait a day or two before making such comments!!

I edited it to 24 hours, which is what's in the settings. You see you can define how long you can have it keep you logged in for in the preferences for the app. I am, of course, assuming the app does what it says it does, but it kept me logged in all last night so it works for at least 8 hours! :D

slapppy
Sep 29, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hmm what I see right now is YIM offers to send SMS message from your messenger, you just need to provide the right mobile number of your contact and he/she just needs to reply to it, so pretty much it's free on your side.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any methods.

Yes you're right. AIM also works for SMS. I can now start an SMS without worrying of maxing it out.

This is a killer app. When Apple does Push Notification, Beejive is a must app to have.

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm just teasing you!! Best of luck with the marathon login!! Let us know if it works as advertised! :D

I edited it to 24 hours, which is what's in the settings. You see you can define how long you can have it keep you logged in for in the preferences for the app. I am, of course, assuming the app does what it says it does, but it kept me logged in all last night so it works for at least 8 hours! :D

Jeonat
Sep 29, 2008, 02:06 AM
I know it's not their fault, and it does seem like a good program but I'm not buying any IM software until Apple sort the whole background processes/notifications out. I like to be able to zip between perhaps some e-mailing or web surfing while I'm waiting for a contact to reply to an IM. But once that's sorted - it'll be awesome!

Manic Mouse
Sep 29, 2008, 02:07 AM
So I guess the big question is when are Apple going to make push available to apps? I hope it's not too long.

Manic Mouse
Sep 29, 2008, 02:09 AM
I know it's not their fault, and it does seem like a good program but I'm not buying any IM software until Apple sort the whole background processes/notifications out. I like to be able to zip between perhaps some e-mailing or web surfing while I'm waiting for a contact to reply to an IM. But once that's sorted - it'll be awesome!

You can actually do that, you just don't get notified when they reply (unless you set up the email). You can close BeeJive and do whatever you want and when you go back any messages people have sent you will be waiting, since it keeps you logged in. Once push is released you will be notified when people reply.

Daremo
Sep 29, 2008, 02:09 AM
diesel, it's out of principle for some, but I'm sure that some people find it difficult to afford it. And just because people choose to pay an exorbitant price for apps for the Blackberry doesn't mean that others will pay the same price for apps for the iPhone

Honestly, It's who the Blackberry is marketed to. Kids don't buy Blackberrys. One year ago, Kids couldn't afford an iPhone. NOW, they need to market the apps to the same kids who cry ".99 is TOO MUCH MONEY, THIS SHOULD BE FREE!!!!!"

It's pathetic. Cheap bastards + Subsidized iPhone = dumbed down crappy apps.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
diesel, have you heard if Trillian will be making an iPhone app? I have used Trillian on my desktop, and I really like it.

not sure. according to their site they're still "alpha testing" their iphone web app......but that post was dated July 2007:

http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/?p=162

and i don't know anyone who did messaging through the trillian web app. besides if you look at the screenshots, it looks terrible.

however, there has been no further update from them in their blog so it doesn't look as if they are working on a native app, which is a shame because they could be an instant contender to beejive assuming any native app from them doesn't look as crappy as those screenshots. and competition is GOOD :)

also keep in mind that a lot of what beejive has managed to accomplish in the initial release of their native app was a result of providing their free web app for the past year or so. i was an avid user of the web app and clearly remember how much it has improved over the past year. i'm sure the dev received a ton of feedback to improve the web app over the past year that he was able to implement from the get go into the native app. in a sense the look and feel and functionality of beejive was in beta testing for the past year through his web app and this is the culmination of all that work. kudos to the dev.

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 02:31 AM

So far so good. No crashes. I think I saw a time out error when first logging in but nothing since. Far and away light years ahead of MC's launch.

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 02:36 AM
you know i didnt want to pay 15.99 for an IM app, and i still dont want to but i went ahead and bought it. i thought about it for a few hours and decided with the way i can use the aim sms on it and that it keeps me logged in for up to 24 hours, that i can try using the aim sms alot and if that just cuts my texts in half i can go from unlimited for $20 a month to 1000 texts for 9.99 and that will save me more than the price of the app in just 2 months.

so ill give it a try and i bought it. so far after using it, the program seems top notch and i love the way it works.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 02:38 AM
you know i didnt want to pay 15.99 for an IM app, and i still dont want to but i went ahead and bought it. i thought about it for a few hours and decided with the way i can use the aim sms on it and that it keeps me logged in for up to 24 hours, that i can try using the aim sms alot and if that just cuts my texts in half i can go from unlimited for $20 a month to 1000 texts for 9.99 and that will save me more than the price of the app in just 2 months.

so ill give it a try and i bought it. so far after using it, the program seems top notch and i love the way it works.

awesome!!! happy to see a former naysayer take the plunge, and having a positive experience with the app :)

btw, how does the aim sms that you speak of work?

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 02:38 AM
It's too bad about Trillian! I know that BeeJive was running a web app. I'll hold off for now and see what happens in the IM market. I don't use IM that much myself, so I don't really need an app at this point. I set up my accounts with Palringo, and I haven't even used the app! It will be more useful once push notifications are enabled. Hopefully push notifications will allow messages to appear on the screen (similar to SMS messages) in addition to notifying with a red badge number.

not sure. according to their site they're still "alpha testing" their iphone web app......but that post was dated July 2007:

http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/?p=162

and i don't know anyone who did messaging through the trillian web app. besides if you look at the screenshots, it looks terrible.

however, there has been no further update from them in their blog so it doesn't look as if they are working on a native app, which is a shame because they could be an instant contender to beejive assuming any native app from them doesn't look as crappy as those screenshots. and competition is GOOD :)

also keep in mind that a lot of what beejive has managed to accomplish in the initial release of their native app was a result of providing their free web app for the past year or so. i was an avid user of the web app and clearly remember how much it has improved over the past year. i'm sure the dev received a ton of feedback to improve the web app over the past year that he was able to implement from the get go into the native app. in a sense the look and feel and functionality of beejive was in beta testing for the past year through his web app and this is the culmination of all that work. kudos to the dev.

bachlau
Sep 29, 2008, 02:40 AM
So what happens to your "saved" messages when you log on with your computer before logging on with the phone?
I want to know that too

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 02:42 AM
It's too bad about Trillian! I know that BeeJive was running a web app. I'll hold off for now and see what happens in the IM market. I don't use IM that much myself, so I don't really need an app at this point. I set up my accounts with Palringo, and I haven't even used the app! It will be more useful once push notifications are enabled. Hopefully push notifications will allow messages to appear on the screen (similar to SMS messages) in addition to notifying with a red badge number.

you can configure beejive to email IM notifications to:
your_10digit_phone_number@txt.att.net

IM's will appear on your phone as a sms message nearly instantaneously if a buddy messages you while the app is closed. a perfect workaround until apple gets around to releasing their push feature

vandy1997
Sep 29, 2008, 02:59 AM
Is that feature working as advertised? That was supposed to work with MobileChat as well, and it seems like the effort didn't work out too well. Thanks for the tip.

IM's will appear on your phone as a sms message nearly instantaneously if a buddy messages you while the app is closed. a perfect workaround until apple gets around to releasing their push feature

Rayfire
Sep 29, 2008, 03:04 AM
Is that feature working as advertised? That was supposed to work with MobileChat as well, and it seems like the effort didn't work out too well. Thanks for the tip.

Yup, works. Basically Beejive sends you an e-mail to 10digitnumber@txt.att.net , then you'll receive an SMS from 1(010)100-001 which has only an all text based email sent to your phone. Take note there will be no email addresses displayed, just the sender's name, subject title, and the message body in strictly text format.

Just to let you know, the above e-mail works for AT&T subscribers, and make sure your SMS plan could cover those incoming SMS messages, if not then better use regular e-mail notifications else you'll have a whopping expensive bill (I exaggerated that lol).

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 03:15 AM
awesome!!! happy to see a former naysayer take the plunge, and having a positive experience with the app :)

btw, how does the aim sms that you speak of work?

it worked good for me because you can access the iphones contacts to sms anyone thats in it using the aim sms. i used it to send to 3 or 4 people and it worked fine.

the push to yahoo email works good since yahoo is so quick to push out notifications on email. ill wait for the push service apple will provide though since i check my phone often enough that it doesnt matter to me if i get it immediately.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 03:17 AM
Yup, works. Basically Beejive sends you an e-mail to 10digitnumber@txt.att.net , then you'll receive an SMS from 1(010)100-001 which has only an all text based email sent to your phone. Take note there will be no email addresses displayed, just the sender's name, subject title, and the message body in strictly text format.

I can confirm it works, and it works well to know when someone has sent you an IM while the app is closed, though this is not how i have my beejive set up. i don't like receiving sms txt messages due to the more "intrusive" nature of sms messages. there's no IM that i need to receive that kind of alert. if my buddies want to reach me that critically, they will sms me directly or call. hence i have configured my beejive with a yahoo mail account and since yahoo mail on the iphone is push, i receive notifications nearly instantaneously. works perfect for me and is not as "intrusive" as a sms text message

Rybold
Sep 29, 2008, 03:19 AM

So, if I understand you correctly, all the "push" does is send an email to my email address, letting me know I have received a new instant message to my instant messenger ? So then, I can ignore my email and go straight to the instant messenger and reply, but then sometime later on, I'll need to bulk-delete a bunch of emails from my email address. Is that correct?

So then, it doesn't matter which instant messenger I use on this program, as long as the email is via Mobile Me or Exchange?

"Get notified instantly when you get a new message (requires with MobileMe or Exchange/ActiveSync push email). - Works with multiple IM networks, multiple accounts per network: AIM/iChat, MSN, Yahoo!, GoogleTalk, ICQ, Jabber, and MySpace IM."

After thought: For those of us that have not signed up for push, we can still set our phones to check out email every 15min.

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 04:07 AM

So far so good. No crashes. I think I saw a time out error when first logging in but nothing since. Far and away light years ahead of MC's launch.

odelay
Sep 29, 2008, 04:36 AM

this app rules. Exactly what I've been waiting for.

For those in the UK on o2 who want the SMS notifications of new messages, text "on" to 212, you'll then get a reply saying email to SMS service has been activated. Just configure Beejive to send alerts for new messages to +44<your mobile number>@mmail.co.uk, and you'll get an SMS notification instantly (well, almost) of any new messages in Beejive. A decent alternative to those without MobileMe or Exchange until Apple released push notifications for 3rd party apps.

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 04:57 AM
as far as being able to stay logged in for up to 24 hours can someone tell me something about this. is that how long it can sit without me going back into the program? does it refresh when i load the app back up and use it, does that 24 hour or however long period restart after that activity, or is it 24 hours total and it logs me out regardless of my activity?

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 05:19 AM
as far as being able to stay logged in for up to 24 hours can someone tell me something about this. is that how long it can sit without me going back into the program? does it refresh when i load the app back up and use it, does that 24 hour or however long period restart after that activity, or is it 24 hours total and it logs me out regardless of my activity?

as i understand it and someone has yet to confirm this, the 24 hour clock will restart anytime you physically go back into the app and/or actively send out an instant message via beejive.

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 05:33 AM
as i understand it and someone has yet to confirm this, the 24 hour clock will restart anytime you physically go back into the app and/or actively send out an instant message via beejive.

thats what i was hoping for and kind of expected but it hasnt really been made clear anywhere. if thats the case i can just set it for a few hours instead of the full 24 since i can go back to the app every couple hours anyway.

EvanLugh
Sep 29, 2008, 06:08 AM
I got it, and it's really really nice and stable. It goes a little slow some times but i'm sure that'll be improved at some point.
MC3 0 - 1 Beejive

archi17
Sep 29, 2008, 06:45 AM
looks like a really good app, just don't know if it's QUITE enough better than Palringo to justify an $17.35 outlay (since that's what it works out as here in the UK - we get absolutely screwed on iTunes prices, for no good reason that I can figure out)

Try being in Australia! It is $18.00 over here. And individual iTunes songs are $1.69. What is with the great markup of prices? We are humans to here is Aus.

bbplayer5
Sep 29, 2008, 06:47 AM
For the people on the fence: Its worth the money. 16 dollars for the life of your iphone and next generation iphones. Nothing will really compare to this, especially after push etc comes into play.

AndyV
Sep 29, 2008, 07:12 AM
... cause everyone I know uses Skype... why do they always leave skype out of it... where is skype for the iPhone?... hä?... truephone is at the appstore... so why isn't there a native skype app... damn:mad:

Lictor
Sep 29, 2008, 07:19 AM
Tempted to buy this just because of the Office Space references in the screenshots...but $16 is a bit much for a mobile application.

Well, that's to be expected... And as soon as the Apple generated insecurity (NDA, procedure to access the AppStore) is lifted, you can expect to see the big applications rolling in, and they won't sell for $4.99 either! Just check how much TomTom sells for on Windows Mobile...

And this is quite natural actually. The frontier between mobiles platforms and the more traditional desktop or console platform is getting thinner and thinner. The cost of developing a serious game for the iPhone is not far from the cost of developing a game on the Nitendo DS - and similar games are possible on both platforms. Why do you expect the iPhone version to sell for $1.99 while the Nitendo version would sell for $30?
Likewise, for business applications, you can have quite a lot of complexity on the iPhone. Especially if Apple decides to let go of some of the restrictions on the SDK. As complexity increases, the only difference will be (maybe) less piracy on the iPhone and a faster distribution model vs a wide user base on the desktop. I'm not sure this will justify a large price difference between the two worlds...

TopToffee
Sep 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
Honestly, It's who the Blackberry is marketed to. Kids don't buy Blackberrys. One year ago, Kids couldn't afford an iPhone. NOW, they need to market the apps to the same kids who cry ".99 is TOO MUCH MONEY, THIS SHOULD BE FREE!!!!!"

It's pathetic. Cheap bastards + Subsidized iPhone = dumbed down crappy apps.

I'm neither a lawnmowing kid, nor a cheap bastard. I am also not an idiot however, and I am not going to spend £10 on something until I have a decent bit of evidence that it's a good chunk better than the available FREE alternative. If it becomes evident that it IS a lot better, then I'll drop the tenner no problem.

That said, I do think that the Beejive guys could have actually made more money at a lower price point....

You really do come off quite arrogant you know... like you're "better" than other people just because you're willing drop whatever money on apps without thinking about it. Also, you seem obsessed with kids who mow lawns. Not sure what that's about.... I *do* however wish that when I was a kid, I'd been paid enough for that sort of task to afford an iPhone and the associated contract...

Whose lawns are these kids mowing?!?!

mistertomlinson
Sep 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
I stole this app as soon as someone posted the torrent for it last night. I have absolutely no problem paying for apps that I use regularly, but $16 is too much. It's a great app and worth a higher price than the average app no doubt, but considering the prices of the other amazing apps in the store (Super Monkey Ball, Asphalt 4, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Crash Bandikoot, etc. - ALL $10), it's an unreasonable price. It's a simple IM client! I don't care how poorly the competition is doing, it's an IM client and nothing more! Why should I pay more for this app than I would pay for one of the other great games referenced above?!

BeatMaker is $19.99 and THAT'S an app that deserves the price they are asking. Let's compare the two apps: One is a fully functional software music studio with features I would have NEVER expected to be available on a cell phone, but rather a desktop platform and the other is an... IM client. Hmmmm. I really think it would have been wise to follow the market's trend.

I swear to god, as soon as they drop the price to $10 or put it on sale, I'll be glad to buy it, but until then, I'll just use the cracked .ipa.

TopToffee
Sep 29, 2008, 07:27 AM
Why do you expect the iPhone version to sell for $1.99 while the Nitendo version would sell for $30?

Remember, it's not just about value for money pricing... it's about being competitive.

Apps in the App Store are only in a small part competing against similar Apps for Windows Mobile, the DS, Crackberry, whatever... they're MOSTLY competing against other Apps in the Apple App Store... and the way this market is emerging, the average price point for an app in the app store is going to HAVE to be lower than on the BB etc, or it just won't sell in very high numbers, because there are a multitude of relatively polished free (or very cheap) alternatives to nearly every pay-app...

And while the pay apps might be better than the free ones, of the price difference is too big (or difference in quality too small), a large section of the userbase will continue to use/put up with the free alternatives...

wildmilne
Sep 29, 2008, 07:39 AM
you people crack me up...it's $15. i guess we're all spoiled now on iphone apps...look how much apps cost for any other platform. I had to pay $9.99 for 3 months of IM'ing with agile messenger on windows mobile (or pay $40 for lifetime). IM+ for windows mobile was $30, i'm sure they'll be charging for iphone too if they can get a working app. It's normal to pay $10 for lunch these days.

SILVER13ACK
Sep 29, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hmm, at first I thought...No way will I pay $15. But then I realized, im paying $30 per month for unlmiited text on the family plan. Maybe this will be worth it.

TopToffee
Sep 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
you people crack me up...it's $15.

And that means it should be AUTOMATICALLY paid, without some consideration for whether it's WORTH it, over the free alternatives?

All the arguments about the prices of this that and the other (BB or Windows Mobile apps, or even fecking lunches) are completely irrelevant. Beejive isn't competing with them. It's competing with Palringo, IM+ and (if they EVERRR get the damn thing working - doubtful at this point) MC.

Some people may just whine at the fact that Beejive is £10... I'm not. I *do* however reserve my right to wait until there is some more evidence that it's £10 *better* than Palringo... at which point I will be only too happy to drop the £10 on the app.

What "cracks me up" is the people who evidently have no regard for money whatsoever, and look down their noses at people who thing it might just be smart to figure out whether something represents a wise purchase, before buying it.

gr8gonzo
Sep 29, 2008, 07:55 AM
what is up with the price? gees! i mean i have $16 dollars, they could change the price to .99 and still make big $$$$. i have had the web based version for a while and i love it, why should i have the app store version if the web version is great, unless they drop it and make me buy the app store version, which then i will.
anyone feeling sorry for me, or am i wining too much <voilin music>

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 08:07 AM

I don't see Beejive lowering the price point on the iPhone more than they alreay have. Nor should they. You should evaluate whether this app is worth it to you before buying. For me it is.

kb152
Sep 29, 2008, 08:17 AM
I am confused about how this app will affect battery life. If I set the session logout at 24 hours, does that mean the app is actually running in the background for 24 hours?

I didn't think that being logged in with mobilechat would drain the battery, but maybe I was wrong. I guess the question is: Does being logged into their server mean that you are also running the app on your phone and therefore draining your battery? :confused:

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 08:17 AM
$15.99 is pretty good considering their blackberry version costs $19.95

The one iffy thing I am having is that...

It looks so freaking ugly. The overlay text input, the logos for the IM clients, the use of the SMS bubbles in the chats overview (good in individual chat...but when you put text in the SMS bubble in a grouped table view cell...gaaah). Of course functionality comes first, but being who I am, looks does affect my decision. But if it really is stable and actually keeps you on for 24 hours...

Has anyone tried keeping it on for a few hours yet?

I am confused about how this app will affect battery life. If I set the session logout at 24 hours, does that mean the app is actually running in the background for 24 hours?

I didn't think that being logged in with mobilechat would drain the battery, but maybe I was wrong. I guess the question is: Does being logged into their server mean that you are also running the app on your phone and therefore draining your battery? :confused:

Zero affect on battery life. Remember, applications cannot run in the background. Everything about instant messenger is on the server: received IMs, status, etc. The only thing programs do is show you all of that and let you make changes (such as sending IMs, etc.)

It's confusing because we're used to desktop applications signing us off when we close the program. When we close a desktop chat program, the application tells the server to sign us off.

What MobileChat, Palringo, and now BeeJive do is that they never tell the server to sign us off. Instead, they tell the server that they have simply closed the program. This allows the server to go "okay, time to queue up messages". And in these chat client's case, it also says "after a certain amount of time, then we're gonna sign them off".

The only drainage that this will cause is the electricity at wherever BeeJive has their servers.

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
$15.99 is pretty good considering their blackberry version costs $19.95

The one iffy thing I am having is that...

It looks so freaking ugly. The overlay text input, the logos for the IM clients, the use of the SMS bubbles in the chats overview (good in individual chat...but when you put text in the SMS bubble in a grouped table view cell...gaaah). Of course functionality comes first, but being who I am, looks does affect my decision. But if it really is stable and actually keeps you on for 24 hours...

Has anyone tried keeping it on for a few hours yet?

its been running perfectly for me since i bought it last night, so thats about 8 hours or so at least since i forgot exactly what time i bought it. i debated the price on it too, then i decided to give it a shot and now i think i'll be able to drop that unlimited text plan thats $20 and go to a 1000 message plan or less and save the money this app cost me in just two months. i've been texting with the app to my friend all morning.

LostLogik
Sep 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
I bought this on the strength of the Push email alert (whichmaybecone redundent when Apple put Push in the OS) and must say am impressed. Email arrived with an embedded link to launch BeeJive, clicked on it and the App launched in a chat window. Only downside was the chat window showed the contact as offline. Closed the window and clicked on the contact again (who was now showing online) to launch a new chat window and all was well, continuing the conversation without a hitch.

One grumble; don't like the way your text entry screen is types over the chat history. It looks messy and at times confusing, especially if you're trying to refer to it in something you're writing. Other than that, so far so good.

markgamber
Sep 29, 2008, 08:29 AM

Handy tip, thanks!

Vandam500
Sep 29, 2008, 08:31 AM
I want to buy it but have a couple of questions for the users that have it. Do the emotions work (smiles,etc) and the 24/7 thing. So basically, if I log in and exit the app, I will appear online to all my contacts for 24 hours until I login again? Is that right or am I missing something? Thanks for the feed back!

Vandam500
Sep 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by diesel

Can anybody confirm that this feature works???

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 08:36 AM
I want to buy it but have a couple of questions for the users that have it. Do the emotions work (smiles,etc) and the 24/7 thing. So basically, if I log in and exit the app, I will appear online to all my contacts for 24 hours until I login again? Is that right or am I missing something? Thanks for the feed back!

Can't answer emoticons, but yes, if you login and exit, then you will appear online for 24 hours in the background until they kick you off. If this works like Palringo, MobileChat (theoretical), and AIM, then it resets this timer every time you go back into the application. The 24 hours should simply mean that if you don't go back into the application for 24 hours. If you IM daily, then your friends will see you online for days straight :p.

jhkaplan
Sep 29, 2008, 08:39 AM
Handy tip, thanks!

How fast is the txt message alert for you? I'm still waiting on a test message that I sent about an hour ago!

markgamber
Sep 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
How fast is the txt message alert for you? I'm still waiting on a test message that I sent about an hour ago!

99% of the time it's almost instantaneous but I have gotten texts via AT&T that were hours late before. What I like about it is that it's a little faster than push mail but it also keeps the notifications out of email and puts them all in one thread in the sms app. Minimal maintenance.

markgamber
Sep 29, 2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by diesel

Can anybody confirm that this feature works???

Took a whole 10 seconds to try it. And yes, it works fine.

RoboCop001
Sep 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
$16 for an IM client? :eek::confused:

I guess sure, all the hard work.... cool features, but I'm sticking with Palringo lol

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
I was very eagerly awaiting Beejive – as a former user of it when it was still Jivetalk on the BB I was excited when I found out they’d be releasing a native app. Up until the latest revisions of Palringo I also used the Beejive webapp as my main for of IM’ing. (I jumped all over MobileChat when it came out and it’s the only app I‘ve paid for and deleted off my iPhone – its useless.)

Anyway – Beejive is very stable. I know its only been a day (if even) but it hasn’t crashed, frozen or kicked me out (yet). While I do love Palringo, occasionally it did knock me off... Not often, but enough that I know it wasn’t an isolated issue.

The ability to customize how long you stay connected for is great – that to me is worth the price. Palringo is great and they seem VERY responsive to their customers which is amazing for a free app, but the 15 minutes doesn’t seem long enough. I have Beejive set to 4 hours and that’s perfect. (and there is more if I need it!)

I like the flexibility of Beejive, you can add/remove/edit contacts, keep a separate favorites list and send SMSes – I don’t believe those features are available on any of the other apps. One other thing I love (which others may not care about) is the option to view contacts by account. This was one of those features I never would have thought I needed, but I like.. It really helps in cleaning up your buddy lists without having to sign off/on to see if you have someone added to multiple accounts.

The chat interface is very nice and clean, I do have some recommendations about it which I’ll list below – but it’s still very useful. I do like that it shows whether or not an online contact is mobile (Palringo doesn’t do this yet, but I believe I saw they will in a future release) and it shows you the service they are on.

The Pop-up screen for typing takes some getting used to. Palringo and Beejive the Web-client use a small text box above the keyboard, while I'm used to that it quite content with it this is different - not bad, just different. I'm sure in a week I'll be so used to it and it'll be just as naturla as the "old" way.

I don’t really have any negative things to say – nothing really bothers me with it, but I do have some recommendations or suggestions for features I’d like to see implemented to make this really an ideal app (for me at least, and hopefully for some others):

1) Offer the ability to hide the Buddy Icons.. it just takes up too much space on the screen. Most of my buddies don’t have them (or have generic ones) – If I really wanted to see them I could check the account info screen. (and its also available within the Chat Window, so its almost redundant.

2) Offer a minimized view... By removing the icons and then maybe condensing the on-screen info to 2 lines you’d be able to get more names on at once. Maybe even make the font size a little smaller in the chat window when texting. As for the buddy list right now it uses this format:
Steve Jobs (Nickname)
SteveJRules (Screenname)
I’m away counting my money (Status)

I'd prefer an option to have it minimized theme to display:
Nickname
Status

3) Include email notifications for the accounts associated w/ an email address. I’m not sure if this is do-able based on App Store limitations, but I know many desktop chat apps will give you the option to be notified if an email gets sent to one of your accounts – this would be great to incorporate. I don’t use the email accounts associated w/ all of my chat apps regularly and don’t have them set up on the iPhone, but if I got something it would be nice to be notified without having to go and check. (This is sort of an added benefit, I know its not part of IM functionality but I’m so used to it with my desktop apps, having something like that would really make me think twice about having the need to log into my desktop!) Also, I like to keep my phone on silent all day at work – if I keep Beejive open and I get a real email I don’t know about it - I have to close out periodically to check…

4) IM notification badge on the icon. Palringo just added this – it would be a nice feature and save me the few minutes from signing in to check if theres anything waiting. (I don’t use the email push notifications)

Overall I’m pleased with the app. To me, it’s worth the price. I paid more to have it on my BB and it’s a company I trust. Hopefully they are responsive to customer feedback as I’ll be sending the recommendations above to them. (I tried to participate in their beta program but since I didn’t have beta experience I didn’t make the cut).

Anyway – that’s my first impression…

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 09:07 AM

Emoticons are not yet supported. According to the app store description it will be in a future release.

Lictor
Sep 29, 2008, 09:08 AM
It's a simple IM client! I don't care how poorly the competition is doing, it's an IM client and nothing more!

If it's so simple, the SDK is free, you can code it yourself...
An IM client is far for simple. Especially since they have to work around limitations of Apple SDK - something games do not have to do.

BeatMaker is $19.99 and THAT'S an app that deserves the price they are asking. Let's compare the two apps: One is a fully functional software music studio with features I would have NEVER expected to be available on a cell phone, but rather a desktop platform and the other is an... IM client.

And once you have paid $19.99 on BeatMaker, the money is in the company pocket. Once the costs of development are covered, it's 100% gain and 0% work.
When you pay Beejive IM, part of that cost covers the monthly maintainance that is needed for this kind of application. To work around the limitations of the SDK, they have to maintain a server. A server costs money, each month, no matter if you sold anything that month. So, when you pay $19.99, you are also (hopefully) paying for years of server access.
Besides, BeatMaker is self-sufficient (well, at least until Roland finds out that some copyrighted instrument was duplicated or something). For all I know, an application like Beejive IM might be paying royalties to support some of its protocoles.

I agree that applications on the iPhone platform compete with each others, not with applications on the other platforms. However, developers exist in the real world. If applications on the iPhone sell for one tenth of applications on other platforms, the developers won't be paid a tenth of the pay, nor will the accountant or the landlord for the office.
If the price the iPhone market is willing to be for the like of TomTom is $10 rather than $100 (the price on Windows Mobile), the result won't be a $10 TomTom - because at $10 TomTom would be losing money with each sale (they have to pay royalties for their datas). It will just be no TomTom at all. It will just have proven that the iPhone market is not mature enough to support mature applications.

kickpush
Sep 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
16 dollars is a bit steep... and mobile chat already left a bad taste in my mouth.

I may still purchase it, though. I wish they'd give some info on if they plan on having a sale or not.

9.99 would be a much better price point (if not lower) and I would've purchased it without hesitation. I had the blackberry version of this program for a demo, but I could never justify paying 30 dollars for an IM program even if it is a lifetime of free updates. I opted to use the default blackberry IM clients which were great IMO.

I have no problem paying for quality software, but I will feel a little jipped/silly if Apple releases some type of iChat program with the push notifications - and it's better and free. It's the end of September and still no word from Apple on their push service... this may be the best solution until then.

Lictor
Sep 29, 2008, 09:14 AM

No, because it can't run in the background. No application using the official SDK can, because Apple doesn't want background applications. And if they don't use the official SDK, they can't be sold on the AppStore.

That's actually one of the reasons for the price. To work around the SDK limitation, Beejive had to setup a centralized server. The server handles you IM sessions - it's the one that is logged for 24 hours. That's the server using push email to send notifications - since that's the only notification mechanism that works on the current SDK. The iPhone application merely connects to Beejive server.
In order for that to work, Beejive has to maintain a server that can handle potentially dozens of thousands of simultaneous sessions, each supporting several IM protocoles. That costs money, both in server maintainance and in design and development time...

Whorehay
Sep 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
No, because it can't run in the background. No application using the official SDK can, because Apple doesn't want background applications. And if they don't use the official SDK, they can't be sold on the AppStore.

That's actually one of the reasons for the price. To work around the SDK limitation, Beejive had to setup a centralized server. The server handles you IM sessions - it's the one that is logged for 24 hours. That's the server using push email to send notifications - since that's the only notification mechanism that works on the current SDK. The iPhone application merely connects to Beejive server.
In order for that to work, Beejive has to maintain a server that can handle potentially dozens of thousands of simultaneous sessions, each supporting several IM protocoles. That costs money, both in server maintainance and in design and development time...

And unlike MobileChat, this one actually works.

Vandam500
Sep 29, 2008, 09:21 AM

It really is a good idea:) but I can imagine that once Apple releases push notifications that the price of this should go down although the price does justify it since it does cost money to maintain those servers.

kickpush
Sep 29, 2008, 09:27 AM

So in theory, when Apple releases the Push Notification service there will be no use for BeeJives centralized server, correct? It also would negate the 16 dollar price tag.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 09:33 AM
It really is a good idea:) but I can imagine that once Apple releases push notifications that the price of this should go down although the price does justify it since it does cost money to maintain those servers.

Why would the price go down? the $16 is still cheaper than what they charge for the blackberry. I don't think they set one price to screw over the early adopters and then lower in in a few weeks.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a quality product - unlike Mobilechat and to an extent Palringo - Beejive has a following and reputation from those who have used their app on the BB.

MC is complete poo, maybe they'll fix the app but they've already done damage to their reputation which will be hard to fix. Palringo is free and as long as they stay that way they'll definitely get people to use their app (especially because its also a quality app!); in time they may charge for it or make it ad supported - but right now they've got a good thing going.

I was expecting Beejive to sell for about $10 - so the $16 was a disappointment to me, but seeing how they've been successful in the past (while still charging more for the BB app) I can't knock them - I'm quite sure they've done their research.

And someone else mentioned this which I think may be a good reason for the price point - it limits the people who use it and helps control the amount of users and server usage. Who knows, maybe MC wouldn't have had the initial problems if they charged more and were able to ease into things - they got slammed from the get-go and never recovered. Palringo is free but they only keep you logged in for 15 minutes so they can better maintain what the server can handle; if they charged for the app maybe they could offer the 24 hour live connection.

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 09:37 AM

So in theory, when Apple releases the Push Notification service there will be no use for BeeJives centralized server, correct? It also would negate the 16 dollar price tag.[/QUOTE]
No you are incorrect. Beejives centralized server will still be needed to maintain the connections to each IM service when the app is closed. This is a common misconception of Apples Push Notification service which is yet to be released. All it is going to do is provide Beejive a way to notify you of an IM when you don't have the app open (instead of there current email notification).

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 09:40 AM
$16 is too steep for an IM app. Maybe I'll pick it up if Apple ever gives me my money back for MC.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 09:42 AM

I'm trying to understand this - what you say makes complete sense, but when(if?) push is enabled, wouldn't they still need some sort of centralized server? I mean, the push wouldn't be coming direct from AOL/Yahoo/MSN/Google, etc - wouldn't the push come from the Beejive server?

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 09:45 AM
So in theory, when Apple releases the Push Notification service there will be no use for BeeJives centralized server, correct? It also would negate the 16 dollar price tag.

and regardless.. the price tag is also for the cost of developing the app, providing updates, etc.. Its either pay for it or eventually it'll be ad-supported. (While there aren't any ads in the Palringo iPhone client, if you've gone to their website you can see that they do run ads to make some money...)

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
Does this app have an appear offline option? If so, can you send and receive messages while appearing offline?

bytethese
Sep 29, 2008, 09:54 AM

or

Uh, some of us only have 200 text/month. No WAY would I sign up for this. :)

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
Uh, some of us only have 200 text/month. No WAY would I sign up for this. :)

And some of us have 10,000 text/month. ;)

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 09:57 AM
Does this app have an appear offline option? If so, can you send and receive messages while appearing offline?

Yes - as long as the protocol supports it.

bytethese
Sep 29, 2008, 09:58 AM

Yes, it's a steal, grand theft! Along with the $50 you spent, I'd say you were duped. :) Sure it has more options, but for some of us, not enough to justify spending money on it. I'm cool with free AIM and free Facebook to chat with friends. :)

lucasgariglia
Sep 29, 2008, 09:58 AM
For those in the UK on o2 who want the SMS notifications of new messages, text "on" to 212, you'll then get a reply saying email to SMS service has been activated. Just configure Beejive to send alerts for new messages to +44<your mobile number>@mmail.co.uk, and you'll get an SMS notification instantly (well, almost) of any new messages in Beejive. A decent alternative to those without MobileMe or Exchange until Apple released push notifications for 3rd party apps.

is it free to receive sms?

razorianfly
Sep 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
After testing Beejive for iPhone, it's the one to beat. Although no photo sending support and/or hyperlink rendering, the UI on this baby is something else.
It's the most polished app I've got in my library, to date. Email Push notifications work through normal e-mail accounts - no need for mobile Me or Exchange.

R-Fly

slapppy
Sep 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hmm, at first I thought...No way will I pay $15. But then I realized, im paying $30 per month for unlmiited text on the family plan. Maybe this will be worth it.

I thought about dropping that too. But I don't think you can get an sms message to AIM from another user. I think you can initiate an SMS chat from AIM or Yahoo, but not the other way around. From what I can understand from the tips and tricks page.

So its great that I can do SMS unlimited, as long as I initiate the chat. But for someone else to SMS me, I would still get dinged if I don't have unlimited plan.

Oh yeah forgot. I love the fact that you can type landscape mode!!!

bbplayer5
Sep 29, 2008, 10:25 AM
This is BeeJive folks.. its the best IM client out, period. This isnt some crap company doing this.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Sep 29, 2008, 10:26 AM
Haha... this came out at exactly the right time. If this came out before Apple changed the feedback rules this would have been hammered by the 'should be free' crowd. Good for them, I guess, except now apps released after that rule are going to get much more positive feedback than apps released before--most of the people buying an application will actually want to use it.

chris3g
Sep 29, 2008, 10:27 AM
i love how $16 one time for unlimited IM's for as long as you have your phone , and a program the keeps you connected 24/7 and actually works "isn't worth it" or is even a ripoff, but the majority of you all pay at least $5, if not $15 or $20 PER MONTH for txt messages.

1 year of unlimited txts = $240, perfectly fine
1 year of unlimited beejive = $16, ripoff :confused:

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 10:28 AM
I thought about dropping that too. But I don't think you can get an sms message to AIM from another user. I think you can initiate an SMS chat from AIM or Yahoo, but not the other way around. From what I can understand from the tips and tricks page.

So its great that I can do SMS unlimited, as long as I initiate the chat. But for someone else to SMS me, I would still get dinged if I don't have unlimited plan.

Oh yeah forgot. I love the fact that you can type landscape mode!!!

actually you can do it. for example sms your own phone from aim, that number that shows up that youre replying to you can add to your contact and sms that specific number at any time and they'll get the message. you just have to explain it to people that they can sms that number and reach you.

iblastoff
Sep 29, 2008, 10:31 AM
4) IM notification badge on the icon. Palringo just added this – it would be a nice feature and save me the few minutes from signing in to check if theres anything waiting. (I don’t use the email push notifications)

ummm no they didnt. notification badges for palringo only appear if theres an unread message waiting for you WHILE you were still in the actual app. this is what beejive currently does as well.

OneMike
Sep 29, 2008, 10:39 AM
you people crack me up...it's $15. i guess we're all spoiled now on iphone apps...look how much apps cost for any other platform. I had to pay $9.99 for 3 months of IM'ing with agile messenger on windows mobile (or pay $40 for lifetime). IM+ for windows mobile was $30, i'm sure they'll be charging for iphone too if they can get a working app. It's normal to pay $10 for lunch these days.

I think the major issue that people fail to realize is that this is NOT another platform.

I've had a blackberry as well as several treos and I purchased IM+, pocktunes, etc.. All which alone cost almost as much as all the apps I have combined for iphone. Quality free apps on those devices are few and rarely updated or non existent. Also depending on the app it just may be one or a couple paid types of an app so your option is buy or don't buy. Price is just one aspect. You can't say an app cost $40 on this OS so you shouldn't complain about $16 on this OS when there is a lot more to it then price.

That's like me saying I paid $129.00 for Leopard so a $40 app is a steal. One thing has nothing to do with next.

Dev has the right to charge whatever they want so I think it's not right to say app should be $0.99, but as a consumer you also have the right to decide whether or not something is worth it to you for price. It's not always about the person being cheap. Being able to pay for something doesn't mean it's worth it.

RoboCop001
Sep 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Dev has the right to charge whatever they want so I think it's not right to say app should be $0.99, but as a consumer you also have the right to decide whether or not something is worth it to you for price. It's not always about the person being cheap. Being able to pay for something doesn't mean it's worth it.

tealc: Indeed.

O'neill: Quiet tealc.

I fully endorse this statement.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 10:56 AM
ummm no they didnt. notification badges for palringo only appear if theres an unread message waiting for you WHILE you were still in the actual app. this is what beejive currently does as well.

EDIT:

Ok - I just saw thier change log, this is what they added in 1.22

We've also added a couple of features:
* Palringo now displays the number of unread messages per contact in the Palringo popup menu
* The Palringo icon will display a badge with the number of unread messages when you exit Palringo

When I saw it on my springboard icon I must've closed the window without realizing I had a message waiting for me... (anyway Badge notification would be nice - if its possible)

Lictor
Sep 29, 2008, 10:58 AM
No you are incorrect. Beejives centralized server will still be needed to maintain the connections to each IM service when the app is closed. This is a common misconception of Apples Push Notification service which is yet to be released.

Exactly. Apple Push Notification, if it is ever released, will still need someone on the other end of the tube to speak its language. MSN, Skype, AIM and the like are not. The Beejive server can act as a proxy to translate the protocoles of half a dozen IM service to notifications the iPhone can understand. Which is exactly what it is doing right now : it translates IM notifications from x protocoles to email push notifications the iPhone understands.

I don't think people realise that it *is* actually a complex piece of software with some clever ideas about how to work around the limitations of the SDK. And the limitation will still be there once APN is delivered (if ever) : the only thing APN will do is let application some code to answer to specific notifications. This will mostly benefit the end user, with better integration and a more seamless experience. But from the developer point of view, this only means more complexity and the need for some server side code. The programming on Beejive IM is as much server side as it is client side.

odelay
Sep 29, 2008, 10:58 AM

is it free to receive sms?

I've had a dig around, and can't find anything "official" on this, nothing on o2's website!, but looks like you may actually get charged for this, so use with caution, or try calling o2 to confirm.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
well despite some of the people's complaints about beejive's price, it is now ranked #60 in the paid apps section (of the US store) and with its 4.5 star rating (from actual purchasers and users......thank goodness), i'm sure it'll continue to climb up the app store sales ranking

razorianfly
Sep 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
Why use SMS notification? - Type your email address into the settings panel, and bejive sends instant push notifications to that address when or if you receive a message.

I've only had the application for 6 hours, and out of my 118 app library, its easily becoming my favorite.

R-Fly

odelay
Sep 29, 2008, 11:07 AM
Why use SMS notification? - Type your email address into the settings panel, and bejive sends instant push notifications to that address when or if you receive a message.

I've only had the application for 6 hours, and out of my 118 app library, its easily becoming my favorite.

R-Fly

True, but without Exchange, MobileMe or Yahoo push email, the email will not then be "pushed" to your iPhone. You'd have to wait until the iPhone is scheduled to next "fetch" new mail. So, for some people, this might not be quick enough, they may want "instant" notification of new messages.

Not an issue for me, as I use MobileMe "push" with Beejive, but I though for some it might be useful

TheSpaz
Sep 29, 2008, 11:15 AM
Can I ask... why do people want IMs pushed to their EMAIL? Does that mean your mailbox is getting flooded with instant messages? That seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better to get SMS notifications so the message just pops up in front of whatever you're doing?

razorianfly
Sep 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
Can I ask... why do people want IMs pushed to their EMAIL? Does that mean your mailbox is getting flooded with instant messages? That seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better to get SMS notifications so the message just pops up in front of whatever you're doing?

Yes, but without Apple's Push Notification Service, that's a distant dream.

R-Fly

ilfn143
Sep 29, 2008, 11:18 AM

my favorite 4-letter F word: FREE :)

eddiec312
Sep 29, 2008, 11:21 AM

Question about this. If I do use this method, does the email IM notification count towards an sms text message?

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 11:21 AM

R-Fly

Are you actually getting the IM or just a notification that you have an IM waiting and should sign in to get it? Does it also have the logic built in to only send the notification once (for each protocol) until you've signed in?

(Thats the main reason I haven't enabled it yet - If I'm offline for 4 hours, I don't want to get 15 emails telling me I've got IM's - all I need is one).

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 11:22 AM
Question about this. If I do use this method, does the email IM notification count towards an sms text message?

Yes, it would.

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm trying to understand this - what you say makes complete sense, but when(if?) push is enabled, wouldn't they still need some sort of centralized server? I mean, the push wouldn't be coming direct from AOL/Yahoo/MSN/Google, etc - wouldn't the push come from the Beejive server?

The central server is still used to keep you logged in (the 24 hour will still apply). The ONLY difference that push makes is that instead of queuing and sending you the messages when you open the program again, it sends you the message right away. The server still needs to be there to keep you signed on, get the messages, and now, the server needs to push the messages to Apple's server which would then push it to your phone.

In a sense it would kind of open up some server space as messages would no longer be queued, rather they'd be sent away...but it's insignificant :/.

razorianfly
Sep 29, 2008, 11:26 AM
Are you actually getting the IM or just a notification that you have an IM waiting and should sign in to get it? Does it also have the logic built in to only send the notification once (for each protocol) until you've signed in?

(Thats the main reason I haven't enabled it yet - If I'm offline for 4 hours, I don't want to get 15 emails telling me I've got IM's - all I need is one).

You currently get a nicely formatted e-mail containing the message itself:

New message from Alex:

hey, you ever used spreadshirt?

and a button 'Open BeeJiveIM'.

[Edit] - To answer your question, I have only received this alert once, in 4 hours (so yes, it has logic - thank God.)

Example viewed from Hotmail account on an iMac

R-Fly

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 11:28 AM
The central server is still used to keep you logged in (the 24 hour will still apply). The ONLY difference that push makes is that instead of queuing and sending you the messages when you open the program again, it sends you the message right away. The server still needs to be there to keep you signed on, get the messages, and now, the server needs to push the messages to Apple's server which would then push it to your phone.

In a sense it would kind of open up some server space as messages would no longer be queued, rather they'd be sent away...but it's insignificant :/.

I'm not sure how Apple's push notification system will work, but my assumption is that it will only be able to push a notification to the phone telling it to add a number beside the app. I think they will still have to queue up the messages and send them to your phone when you open the app.

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure how Apple's push notification system will work, but my assumption is that it will only be able to push a notification to the phone telling it to add a number beside the app. I think they will still have to queue up the messages and send them to your phone when you open the app.

for an im app the server will still have to be able to keep you logged in if you want to show up as online at least. but as far as your messages they'll just be pushed to you as you receive them without having to have the app active and open and alert you in the 3 different methods available. so basically you'll know what apps you need to open that would benefit from something like this, and you wont just have to open them just to check.

slapppy
Sep 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
actually you can do it. for example sms your own phone from aim, that number that shows up that youre replying to you can add to your contact and sms that specific number at any time and they'll get the message. you just have to explain it to people that they can sms that number and reach you.

Hmm actually that stills ding your SMS account using your phone number from those senders that initiate it.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is for users to SMS me but the message gets sent to AIM, rather than my SMS number.

manhattanboy
Sep 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
wow looks promising...

is it worth the $16?

Absolutely not.

Nothing on the iphone app store is worth $16.
It's a rip-off

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
Hmm actually that stills ding your SMS account using your phone number from those senders that initiate it.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is for users to SMS me but the message gets sent to AIM, rather than my SMS number.

that is what i said, i only said to message yourself as a test. go into the app, use aim to text your iphone. it will show a number that the message comes from something like xxx-xx

if anyone texts that number it goes to your aim account.

i only said to do it to yourself to test it so that you can see that it works.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 12:50 PM

If your assumption is correct (and it seems like a logical one) - then it would treat IM apps (not just Beejive, but any that have the functionality) like email or the App store and you'd get background notifications that you have an IM waiting.. Which is what I want.. (bonus points if they allow developers to use the notification bar and put a little IM icon near the battery!). :)

frowsy
Sep 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
can someone confirm that you can play music through the ipod function of your phone while this app is being used?

kevin512
Sep 29, 2008, 01:10 PM

can someone confirm that you can play music through the ipod function of your phone while this app is being used?

Yes you can!! Just tested this.

Oilbrnr
Sep 29, 2008, 01:12 PM

yup, ipod works in the background.

xolan99
Sep 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
Absolutely not.

It's a rip-off

Have you even tried it?

frowsy
Sep 29, 2008, 01:24 PM
thanks guys! buying now...

DrakeSavage
Sep 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
this app is amazing...hasnt crashed in 24 hours...works smooth....love it

dasikes
Sep 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
If facebook chat was implemented, I'd be sold right now. :)

kickpush
Sep 29, 2008, 01:41 PM
I bit the bullet and bought the program although I can't seem to get the push notifications to work...

with the SMS method or Yahoo! Push e-mail...

I love the program though, I'd say worth more like 10 dollars than 16.

Edit:

I got the Yahoo! Push to work, however not the SMS method :(

Could it be because I have t-mobile? I don't see what the difference would be if I use the right string xxxxx@tmomail.net any ideas?

razorianfly
Sep 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
Absolutely not.

It's a rip-off

Have you even tried it?

He/she seemingly hasn't.

Your looking at the exact reason for previous 1 star reviews, right there. :rolleyes:

Pathetic. I say, buy it FIRST, then you have a right to criticism, and not before. :p

R-Fly

Rayfire
Sep 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
He/she seemingly hasn't.

Your looking at the exact reason for previous 1 star reviews, right there. :rolleyes:

R-Fly

I second that :D

bluelondon
Sep 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
I second that :D

and i young sir, 3rd it :apple:

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well I caved and bought it. Very slick app! I gave it 4 out of 5 stars in my review. If it was $9.99 it would have gotten 5 stars, but like I said earlier, $16 is a bit steep. I can't wait for push notification!

iblastoff
Sep 29, 2008, 02:53 PM

R-Fly

i'm just using email notification with the address used to reach my sms service (xxxxxxxxx@pcs.rogers.com) and i get instant sms any time someone messages me through the services i use (msn, aim, google chat). works fine as an alternative for now!

mcnicks
Sep 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
I bought BeejiveIM at lunchtime and its already paid for itself. I set up my IM accounts during a long, tedious meeting and I was able to field a finance query and set up a technical meeting for later in the afternoon. It works really well. In fact, I am already wondering how I got by without it. Seriously, £10 is nothing.

Whorehay
Sep 29, 2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone experimented with both MobileMe and Yahoo push? My MobileMe email address is getting pummeled by all the notifications (which work very well, by the way!), and I'd rather make another Yahoo account and let that load up if it is near as instant as MM push.

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 03:22 PM

Well, it's kinda hard to say. Steve Jobs said that you can push badges, sounds, and notifications...one of those, all three, some, etc.

Now if you're able to grab the string from the notifications, then you could essentially push the entire message and use that...

But knowing Apple, you're probably right. It will simply notify you while keeping the queuing system.

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 03:25 PM
Anyone experimented with both MobileMe and Yahoo push? My MobileMe email address is getting pummeled by all the notifications (which work very well, by the way!), and I'd rather make another Yahoo account and let that load up if it is near as instant as MM push.

I don't have mobileme or ever had it but i can tell you i created a yahoo account solely for this purpose and so far notifications have been pushed nearly instantaneously

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 03:30 PM
i'm just using email notification with the address used to reach my sms service (xxxxxxxxx@pcs.rogers.com) and i get instant sms any time someone messages me through the services i use (msn, aim, google chat). works fine as an alternative for now!

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the rogers sms address would be for my phone. Do you put a 1 infront of your number or no?

iblastoff
Sep 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks! I wasn't sure what the rogers sms address would be for my phone. Do you put a 1 infront of your number or no?

the layout is 10digitnumber@pcs.rogers.com. so nope, no 1 in front of the number.

slapppy
Sep 29, 2008, 03:46 PM
that is what i said, i only said to message yourself as a test. go into the app, use aim to text your iphone. it will show a number that the message comes from something like xxx-xx

if anyone texts that number it goes to your aim account.

i only said to do it to yourself to test it so that you can see that it works.

Oh that number? I thought it was just some bogus generic whatever thing it spits out. So that number is specific to my AIM account and cell number. If so, very cool, and thank you for the tip! :)

jaseone
Sep 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
Can anyone confirm if Idle/Away status is handled properly on MSN/Windows Live? None of the other apps reflect such statuses correctly and my contacts show as online when I know for a fact that they are Away or at least idle.

EvanLugh
Sep 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
Can anyone confirm if Idle/Away status is handled properly on MSN/Windows Live? None of the other apps reflect such statuses correctly and my contacts show as online when I know for a fact that they are Away or at least idle.

I can confirm this, you can also set custom messages.
To test things, I added myself on WLM :rolleyes:

iblastoff
Sep 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oh that number? I thought it was just some bogus generic whatever thing it spits out. So that number is specific to my AIM account and cell number. If so, very cool, and thank you for the tip! :)

no that xxx-xx is obviously NOT specific to your number. you really think a five digit combinatory number is enough to cover potentially millions of users? simple grade 11 math here.

Daremo
Sep 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm neither a lawnmowing kid, nor a cheap bastard. I am also not an idiot however, and I am not going to spend £10 on something until I have a decent bit of evidence that it's a good chunk better than the available FREE alternative. If it becomes evident that it IS a lot better, then I'll drop the tenner no problem.

That said, I do think that the Beejive guys could have actually made more money at a lower price point....

You really do come off quite arrogant you know... like you're "better" than other people just because you're willing drop whatever money on apps without thinking about it. Also, you seem obsessed with kids who mow lawns. Not sure what that's about.... I *do* however wish that when I was a kid, I'd been paid enough for that sort of task to afford an iPhone and the associated contract...

Whose lawns are these kids mowing?!?!

Whenever the topic of price comes up, and people disagree, the remarks always come up about sounding arrogant and "better" then others. This is such crap. It's not about being "better" it's about PAYING for quality, and people wanted free hand outs. NO ONE wants to pay anymore. I'll give you a good example of this...

The band Radio Head did a little test. They offered an unreleased recording of new material online, and instead of charging a set amount, they asked you pay what you feel it's worth to you. It's well reviewed, and filled with good music (if you like Radio Head that is) and hundreds of thousands downloaded it. They have said they were shocked and overwhelmed with people giving them NOTHING, of an insultingly small amount.

People are so used to getting things for free these days, like their music, and movies, and computer software, now they want high quality apps for free on their iPhone. The review system is PLAGUED with this same *******s who complain, even about the .99 apps.

I fully believe you get what you pay for (in most cases). So, don't call me arrogant or that I act "better". I like to think of it as supportive. Supportive of both the developer and the developer community. I'm more then happy to give money to someone who has built an app that is rock solid.

GutBomb
Sep 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
5) Change the icon! Give it the standard rounded corners – for some reason the square icon just stands out a little too much...

I think you just gave yourself away. Pirated apps that run under the root user on jailbroken phones have the square icons with sharp corners. The same version of the same app purchased legitimately through the app store will have rounded corners. I bought mine this morning and I doubt they updated the app since it became available and my icon has rounded corners.

Daremo
Sep 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
Some people may just whine at the fact that Beejive is £10... I'm not. I *do* however reserve my right to wait until there is some more evidence that it's £10 *better* than Palringo... at which point I will be only too happy to drop the £10 on the app.

What "cracks me up" is the people who evidently have no regard for money whatsoever, and look down their noses at people who thing it might just be smart to figure out whether something represents a wise purchase, before buying it.

And this I do agree with you on. Waiting to see if the software is worth the cost in your opinion is smart. No one should even debate that.

slapppy
Sep 29, 2008, 04:05 PM
no that xxx-xx is obviously NOT specific to your number. you really think a five digit combinatory number is enough to cover potentially millions of users? simple grade 11 math here.

Hey I've never used this stuff before. Digipip is kind enough to be patient with my naiveté on this system.

So no thanks for your stupid ******* reply, instead of being helpful, you came across as a jerk. :rolleyes:

Digipimp
Sep 29, 2008, 04:18 PM

i thought the same thing originally and i didnt say its always a 5 digit, it just so happens the one that i got was. but i saved the number before and it always continued to work. and anytime i sms i get the same number.

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 04:38 PM
Have you even tried it?

He/she seemingly hasn't.

Pathetic. I say, buy it FIRST, then you have a right to criticism, and not before. :p

R-Fly

I think that's sarcasm...otherwise that poster you're referring to is naive as there are tons of applications well over $16.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 05:09 PM
I think you just gave yourself away. Pirated apps that run under the root user on jailbroken phones have the square icons with sharp corners. The same version of the same app purchased legitimately through the app store will have rounded corners. I bought mine this morning and I doubt they updated the app since it became available and my icon has rounded corners.

My iPhone is jailbroken and I 've loaded apps via Cydia (with rounded corners) - but I happily paid my $15.99 for ($17.11 after tax).

Please don't accuse me of trying to steal software. I paid for Beejive, it is not pirated.

slicecom
Sep 29, 2008, 05:09 PM

:eek:

Niiro13
Sep 29, 2008, 05:33 PM

It's pirated already??? Shame on those who bought it (EDIT:and leaked it)! :mad:

diesel
Sep 29, 2008, 05:50 PM
Whenever the topic of price comes up, and people disagree, the remarks always come up about sounding arrogant and "better" then others. This is such crap. It's not about being "better" it's about PAYING for quality, and people wanted free hand outs. NO ONE wants to pay anymore. I'll give you a good example of this...

The band Radio Head did a little test. They offered an unreleased recording of new material online, and instead of charging a set amount, they asked you pay what you feel it's worth to you. It's well reviewed, and filled with good music (if you like Radio Head that is) and hundreds of thousands downloaded it. They have said they were shocked and overwhelmed with people giving them NOTHING, of an insultingly small amount.

People are so used to getting things for free these days, like their music, and movies, and computer software, now they want high quality apps for free on their iPhone. The review system is PLAGUED with this same *******s who complain, even about the .99 apps.

I fully believe you get what you pay for (in most cases). So, don't call me arrogant or that I act "better". I like to think of it as supportive. Supportive of both the developer and the developer community. I'm more then happy to give money to someone who has built an app that is rock solid.

i'm with you however, i think that you are forgetting one very important variable. people will pay what they believe it's worth given their notion of the perceived value according to their "situation"

you gave an example of a music band offering music online and allowing fans to pay whatever, but i wouldn't be surprised if that band's "market" base consisted of "kids" who don't have a whole lot of money. it's all about expectations and those expectations differ depending on the group in question.

i was recently in philadelphia and my girlfriend and i went to the philadelphia museum and they have a system where on that day you could "voluntarily" pay whatever you wanted for admission, you could even pay nothing if you wanted to and still get a ticket. out of curiosity i hung out at the ticket center to see what would happen. almost everyone who got a ticket paid the regular ticket price. however, keep in mind the people going in were adults (with the expectation that they were going to pay full admission anyway) and people with an appreciation for the arts and a desire to support the arts. in fact i didn't observe anyone who didn't pay anything.

the problem with the app store and the iphone user base, is that you have a lot of "kids" or non kids who feel that anything that isn't a game should be "free". that's the expectation that they have. unfortunately, they're also more vocal than all others. so you hear their complaints more often

ryanwarsaw
Sep 29, 2008, 06:19 PM
Beejive is th best app for the phone out there at a realistic price for ongoing development and server maintenance. Beejive is the app that made me stop boycotting the app store, let's hope other nice apps follow.

mistertomlinson
Sep 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
Though it's hard to imagine, MobileChat WILL eventually work. I used it back in their jailbreak days and it was great. It's only a matter of time before they work out all the kinks and the price will stay the same. $4.99, if I remember correctly... and guess what, it wont be long before the market is FLOODED with functioning IM clients. BeeJive's money hungry arses are shooting themselves in the foot. I don't care what they charge for their app for Windows Mobile. We all know they would make a killing selling it at half the price. I'm wiling to bet they would even make MORE in the long run. They would certainly be able to support the costs of servers/royalties and what have you (that crossword puzzle app at $2.99 made like $16,000 one week, right?), so it's obvious their price has been chosen based on greed and I for one will not contribute.

Hls811
Sep 29, 2008, 07:14 PM

It's pirated already??? Shame on those who bought it (EDIT:and leaked it)! :mad:

No - its not pirated (and if it is, I have NOTHING to do with it) - this @$$ just decided to make the assumption that because of my issue with the icon I must have illegal software - because apparently he's one of those people who must know everything and thinks the worst of people.

Regardless, I did some messing around and ss it turns out the issue is due to Categories - when I have it in a folder the icon is square, when I remove it and have it on the main springboard its rounded. Apparently (and I never noticed before because I didn't have any of the apps in Categories) but about half of my icons will show square if used in Categories - AND NONE ARE PIRATED.

mistertomlinson
Sep 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
Um... BeeJiveIM was pirated within the first couple of hours and available via bit torrents.

okrelayer
Sep 29, 2008, 08:23 PM
i must say this is an impressive app. Its what i wanted out of mobilechat. Im not mad i payed 5 dollars for mobilechat. I think they will get their stuff together soon. But I dont see my self useing them over beejive. Beejive is a very established company and i have had really no issues. Its so perfect

Finally getting use out of yahoo push mail! (counting down to when gmail is push-able!)

edit: quick question. What happens to your beejive account when you sign unto aim on your computer. Then what happens when you sign off of your computer to beejive?