Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windows 7 - Going on your mac?

• Absolutely. Better performing and better looking. If only my spouse could change this way.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Not sure. Looks nice, but it's still Windows.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Not a chance. I spent 40 days and nights in the desert to get my Mac, and I'm keeping it clean.

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I keep my Windows away from my Mac. I have a desktop PC that I use Windows on because there's still a good deal of programs I NEED Windows to run.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sure looks a lot like Windows... For all the dressing it up they do, Windows continues to ooze with ugliness. It's like the concept of aesthetic details is completely lost on Microsoft. I wonder if they plan on unveiling an updated UI at some point for Windows 7.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It'll go on my Macbook Pro when I get it. I love having Windows on my computer.... even if I hardly use it. I'm excited to see what 7 is like and what it does to top Vista.

Look at that they redid Paint :rolleyes:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Sure looks a lot like Windows... For all the dressing it up they do, Windows continues to ooze with ugliness. It's like the concept of aesthetic details is completely lost on Microsoft. I wonder if they plan on unveiling an updated UI at some point for Windows 7.

The pictures show that the UI has been updated. Paint and Notepad have Office-style ribbons (which I really like). Calculator has improved a lot, as well.

The whole UI is very blue. Almost too blue. I like the improvements obviously made in W7, but they add aesthetic details because they feel they have to (see picture of WMP's library, page 4 picture 42). It looks like it has a rash. It looks a little pathetic. It also clashes - you can have themes to set the window colour and background, so they can be earthy-green or whatever, but then you have some vibrant blue aurora thing in every window (page 11, pics 127, 128, 129).

Yes, these pictures did leak a week ago. I didn't think many here kept up with Windows news, so the pictures may still be new to them.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
To the OP: Not a chance. I couldn't if I wanted to. I'm still on PPC!

The pictures show that the UI has been updated. Paint and Notepad have Office-style ribbons (which I really like). Calculator has improved a lot, as well.

The whole UI is very blue. Almost too blue. I like the improvements obviously made in W7, but they add aesthetic details because they feel they have to (see picture of WMP's library, page 4 picture 42). It looks like it has a rash. It looks a little pathetic. It also clashes - you can have themes to set the window colour and background, so they can be earthy-green or whatever, but then you have some vibrant blue aurora thing in every window (page 11, pics 127, 128, 129).
My biggest problem with Windows UI is the thick window borders. OS X has shown us that they aren't needed, yet Microsoft has made them more prominent in each release.

Yes, these pictures did leak a week ago. I didn't think many here kept up with Windows news, so the pictures may still be new to them.
By the time I saw them (the day of the leak) they were already taken down. I'm guessing that since this is a German site, they'll stay up for longer.

My personal take is that aesthetics aside, I like it. Yes it's still Windows deep down but at least they seem to be adding a lot of business features to the OS and the ribbon to the UI.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008

...and yet, still the ugliest GUI ever (poorly) designed.

madfresh

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, I think Microsoft has to move away from that Vista/transparency all over the place look. It looks really ugly.

Nothing about the design looks good. Sure window users will be blown away by it because they'll think transparency is an advanced effect, but it's pretty ugly.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
The only reason I have XP installed on my Mac is so I can play SimCity 3000 and RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (I'm old school). SC3K doesn't work on Vista and RCT2 probably doesn't either, meaning they probably won't work on 7 so no, I won't be upgrading.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I currently have no need for Windows 7.
As a web developer I am running XP in VMWare Fusion, with MultipleIE to get IE 5-7 installed for testing purposes.

I really like what Window 7 has the potential to become, but it is way too early to say you are going to switch to it.

If the time comes that the Mac OS can no longer keep up with my needs, and Windows is ahead of the curve then I wouldn't hesitate to switch back. I don't see that happening with Windows 7.

That said, I am a tech enthusiasts and will probably play with Window 7 in the beta form, and the final version when these versions are out.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Looks like Vista, so no.

I'm sticking with XP.

:rolleyes: Being a bit superficial aren't we? I think the Vista look is pretty nice (much better than that candy-land XP silliness). And yes, it does look like Vista right now. They typically do this when making a new OS (change the UI last). XP looked like Windows 2000 for a long time as well.

I think it's funny people are already calling it crap. Not having a need for it is one thing, calling it crap before it's even released is ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

You've let us know you don't want to face the kinds of incompatibility challenges with the next version of Windows you might have experienced early with Windows Vista. As a result, our approach with Windows 7 is to build off the same core architecture as Windows Vista so the investments you and our partners have made in Windows Vista will continue to pay off with Windows 7. Our goal is to ensure the migration process from Windows Vista to Windows 7 is straightforward.

and

Boot performance
According to data gathered from the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program, 35% of Vista SP1 installations boot up in 30 seconds or less. [44] The more lengthy boot times on the remainder of the machines are mainly due to some services or programs are loaded which are not required when the system is first started. Microsoft's Michael Fortin, a Distinguished Engineer on the Windows team, noted in August 2008 that Microsoft has set aside a team to work solely on the issue, and that team aims to "significantly increase the number of systems that experience very good boot times." They "focused very hard on increasing parallelism of driver initialization." Also, it aims to "dramatically reduce" the number of system services, along with their processor, storage, and memory demands.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
:rolleyes: Being a bit superficial aren't we? I think the Vista look is pretty nice (much better than that candy-land XP silliness). And yes, it does look like Vista right now. They typically do this when making a new OS (change the UI last). XP looked like Windows 2000 for a long time as well.

I think it's funny people are already calling it crap. Not having a need for it is one thing, calling it crap before it's even released is ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

and
we call it crap because as you convienantly showed us, its vista with new goodies tacked on. We dont take kind to vista round these parts. *lights cigarette while adjusting cowboy hat*

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

Actually... That is what it looks like now.

Whether it looks like that at the time of release has not been made clear. The OS isn't even in Beta yet (instead, these are pictures of Milestone 3, which is still alpha).

When it gets to beta is when things are finalized. Usually there is a feature freeze around beta 1 and beta 2. Usually the UI is beginning to be finalized, and minor tweaks take place between each beta. This is when most of the bugs will be squashed.

By Release Candidate stage, most bugs are gone and they're still looking for "show stoppers," or major bugs that would prevent the OS from being released.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
we call it crap because as you convienantly showed us, its vista with new goodies tacked on. We dont take kind to vista round these parts. *lights cigarette while adjusting cowboy hat*

If by "new goodies" you mean "speed/security improvements" yes. But that's your choice. Have you even tried Vista for more than 5 minutes recently (within the past couple months) on a decent system?

Actually... That is what it looks like now.

Whether it looks like that at the time of release has not been made clear. The OS isn't even in Beta yet (instead, these are pictures of Milestone 3, which is still alpha).

When it gets to beta is when things are finalized. Usually there is a feature freeze around beta 1 and beta 2. Usually the UI is beginning to be finalized, and minor tweaks take place between each beta. This is when most of the bugs will be squashed.

By Release Candidate stage, most bugs are gone and they're still looking for "show stoppers," or major bugs that would prevent the OS from being released.

Exactly.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If by "new goodies" you mean "speed/security improvements" yes. But that's your choice. Have you even tried Vista for more than 5 minutes recently (within the past couple months) on a decent system?

My laptop is a toshiba satellite 2GB of RAM, AMD turion64 dualcore

Im on my computer almost all day. I hate vista.

Startup time =/= speed in my book.
security i couldnt care less about, Ive never had a problem because im not an idiot who downloads random crap/clicks on blatant spyware.

My problem with vista is my explorer crashing a minimum of 5 times a day (i had a tally for the first 2 weeks). When it crashes once, forget it, if i want to use sound again or dont want it to crash again every 5 minutes i have to restart. Seems to crash everytime i adjust the volume, or any time i switch programs on the taskbar.

have i used vista? HA.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
I need some flavor of windows on their. I like how everything is getting the ribbon treatment, but I think I am going to use xp in vmware and run windows 7 on my main box.

edit: I understand this is mac rumors, but what about vista is actually bad? It is orders of magnitude more secure then xp and alot better at using ram. My experience is only on the 64bit side but vista is rock solid.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I won't be installing it on my Mac no. But hopefully Microsoft can make this better than Vista, it was horrible all the problems that I had to fix on my co-worker's machines at my last job. The Vista machines had much more frequent problems than the XP machines. And if Windows 7 (I still can't figure out Microsoft's naming cycle, it seems like they just pull a name out of a hat) is better than Vista it'll mean less headaches all around.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
My laptop is a toshiba satellite 2GB of RAM, AMD turion64 dualcore

Im on my computer almost all day. I hate vista.

Startup time =/= speed in my book.
security i couldnt care less about, Ive never had a problem because im not an idiot who downloads random crap/clicks on blatant spyware.

My problem with vista is my explorer crashing a minimum of 5 times a day (i had a tally for the first 2 weeks). When it crashes once, forget it, if i want to use sound again or dont want it to crash again every 5 minutes i have to restart. Seems to crash everytime i adjust the volume, or any time i switch programs on the taskbar.

have i used vista? HA.

Have you done a fresh install of Windows Vista without all the Toshiba crap they've added to it? My guess would be no. It seems like your hate should be directed to Toshiba, who's probably added so much trial crap, and useless crap that's infiltrated the explorer, as well as increasing start up times significantly.

Somehow, on my computer, which I built myself and used a clean copy of Vista, has never has explorer crash on me.

The problem with Vista isn't Microsoft. It's these stupid OEM manufacturers that load the computer down with so much crap that it's damn near unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.