Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Hello everyone! Admittingly, not such a long time reader, but admirerer of the information I've read so far on the forums.

I started heavily browsing this place once the rumors first began surfacing about an October 14th update to the MacBooks, and believe me, the wait is painful!

I used to be a former MBP owner. I loved the Mac OS, but had a fair share of issues with the MBP. The biggest ones being a repeated flaw with the top case that would cause the power button to sink into the unit slightly and at an angle. Frustrating, as I am one of those anal-retentive "i hate cosmetic flaws" type of people. Both times they lectured me at the Apple store about the fact I must be using too much pressure when pushing the power button...considering I barely tap it, seemed like a lame excuse to me. Anyways, frustrated, I ended up selling the MBP to a friend to buy a Dell M1330.

However, recently, I've been considering getting a new notebook and have been torn between a new MacBook and a Netbook (like the ones from Acer, Asus, etc). The MacBook is a hefty chunk of change more, but despite my MBP problems, I feel like I'd be buying a more "reliable" piece of hardware, since I can always go to an Apple Store for support versus calling <insert 1-800 number here>.

The main use I have is I want a "beater" notebook of sorts. I want to take it most everywhere I go, and use it for general purposes (email, web use, etc), and have been facinated with the idea of using a Solid State Drive for these purposes. I figure having a non-spinning hard drive would be great for someone that wants to put some "serious" use on the machine and not worry about rocking the drive or causing data loss from a head crash or such.

Obviously Apple gives the option for SSDs on Macbook Airs (which are WAAAY above my price range), but I've been considering getting one and putting it in a basic Macbook.

I was curious if anyone has experience with using one of these drives in a MacBook in terms of performance, reliability, etc.

Thanks for reading my long post!

edit: GAH, I just realized I forgot to ask something. Presently I really like the look and feel of the plastic designed MacBooks. When the aluminum model is released, what is the likelihood I'd still be able to find a plastic design one from Apple?

onehotchili

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
i put the 64Gb SATA-II Samsung SSD in my Black MacBook. it has been ROCK SOLID and superfast. honestly they the laptop runs way cooler and quieter... and the battery lasts much longer.

it has worked so well, that i've been thinking about doing same with a 128Gb SSD in my work laptop.... IBM/Lenovo T61 thinkpad. yes.... it is THAT sweet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.