Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fromcha06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Hello All-

I had jury duty about 2 weeks ago and I brought my macbook....when i tried to get onto their internet i had to sign an "online agreement" they they will log what I do... blah blah blah.... anyway after that I noticed (and this could have been happening before i just noticed it now) that i have this random "pc-server" called the-b52087144a5 that tried to connect when my comp is on....

below is the screen shot the "more info" says it's "kind" is pc server... no other info aside from a picture of a CRT screen... what is this? how do i get rid of it? is this a hack? please help kinda worried about this one.....

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

thx!

:apple::apple::apple:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 165

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
thats just an SMB server (not only a Windows PC) allowing file sharing but you probably do not have permission and it is showing in Finder because you probably have File Sharing enabled in Sharing preferences.

fromcha06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
i think this is off though...

or does this come up just like a wireless network would?

that i "could" connect to it if i had the permission?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    83 KB · Views: 146

fromcha06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I have a Brother 2170W printer that shows up exactly like that except for the name brwXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

would i have to be by the printer? or maybe one of the people next door?

i just wanna be sure its not a hack... which it doesn't sound like it is right?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ could be anything with a wireless signal nearby that your Mac is picking up. i thought that you had to have File Sharing enabled for things to show up but thats obviously not the case.

its definitely not a hack as its just a file share as they cant connect to you and you cant connect to them.

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Sorry For Bringing Up An Old Thread

Same thing is going on my Mac EXCEPT the shared server has my name.

Example with the name John Appleseed, the folder looks like this..."Johnappleseedc6b5"

I was reading online that people can view your iTunes content and access your Mac folders (documents, ect) VIA bonjour.

I have no clue if this is going on. Like the user "fromcha06", I have unchecked every option in "Sharing" which is found in settings. I'm on a University WPA2 secured WiFi network running a VPN.

I'm I good or not?

Thanks
_______

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.