Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
So i've had the MBA for over a month now and it's perfect for what i need.

But there seems to be some grime/dirt that forms at the bottom part of the top portion of the screen bezel, i'm not sure where it picks up the dirt from, and my guess is that any dust or w/e that lands near the bottom gets picked up via contact to the bezel. I can wipe a good deal of it off with my finger but some of it seems deeply engrained and i don't know how to clean it or prevent it from getting worse.
I spoke with a friend who has a MBP and he said he has a similar issue, but honestly I took a look at his laptop and didn't notice it to be as visible or apparent as it is with my air.

Any ideas on how to clean it or prevent it from getting worse?

dcMobile

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
NYC
I noticed this too, and with a little eyeballing I came to the conclusion that it's where the trackpad's button presses against the bezel. So it's going to get rubbed in quite a bit. Another reason to keep your hands clean I guess.

Krazy3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Take a few Q-tips dipped with rubbing alcohol and scrub it.

i'm going to have to give that a try.

I think i've figured out where its coming from. It is obvious that the bezel picks up dirt from the wristpad and that dirt gets pressured and compounded into the bezel from normal pressure while the air is in my bag. I think the dirt is coming from the back part of my Torts book, b/c the deskspace in the lecture hall that I have Torts in is small so i end up resting the top half of my book on my wrist pad sometimes. From a cursory glance on the top half of the back of my Torts book there is a lot of grime/dirt from the table/desk surface itself i suppose.

Btw guys, dont' buy a Speck SeeThru case, its most definitely not worth 50 bucks.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yup, happened with my MB and ended up developing some minute scratches on the screen that Apple said they were cosmetic and didn't have anything to do with the fact that the MB was fully functional. Long story short, I keep the foam insert/sheet that came with my MBA, between the keyboard and the screen and that seems to have resolved the issue. Everyone will ask me why I do that, and I share with them my story and they end up going home and pulling that foam insert out of their box and keeping it in their MB, MBP or MBA...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.