Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
I have my own domain name and ftp server. I've done a really nice site and uploaded it and really pleased especially as I am of a certain age and not very technical ;)

As this is an animal related site I wanted to add a page where visitors could leave comments good or bad. Is this possible? I cannot see how to do one or maybe I am not looking in the right place. Thank you.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
There are thousands of scripts out there for guest books in various languages. Just use Google. Unless there's a catch you didn't mention, like using iWeb? And yes, you are probably of "a certain age" as your use of comic sans clearly indicates. :p Hopefully your age doesn't mean you're using this forum against the rules.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
There are thousands of scripts out there for guest books in various languages. Just use Google. Unless there's a catch you didn't mention, like using iWeb? And yes, you are probably of "a certain age" as your use of comic sans clearly indicates. :p Hopefully your age doesn't mean you're using this forum against the rules.

Of course I've used iWeb...one of the reasons I bought my iMac :rolleyes: but am not using mobileme.......regarding use of comic sans..well there isn't exactly a wealth of choice now is there? :D ...as for your last quote I'll take that as a compliment ;) but think other end of the spectrum :eek:

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Of course I've used iWeb...one of the reasons I bought my iMac :rolleyes: but am not using mobileme.......regarding use of comic sans..well there isn't exactly a wealth of choice now is there? :D ...as for your last quote I'll take that as a compliment ;) but think other end of the spectrum :eek:

I actually figured it was the other end of the age spectrum, but thought I'd give you a hard time anyways ;) I use comic sans on my personal blog, though it's not purple.

There was at least one thread on putting a guest book into a iWeb site. Check out the links provided in the thread. The solution looks involved though so be warned. The difficulty is that most guest books rely on a database to store the information, which iWeb doesn't communicate with on its own.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
Right have not managed to embed one onto my site..too complicated for me but have one hosted by Bravenet. I really think with the number of people asking about them that Apple should incorporate guestbooks into iweb. Jmho. :) and remember that not everyone wants to host thru them. That makes me cross having that darn popup for mobileme every time I start up iweb. :mad:

gonuts

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
iweb blog user comments...

I've built a website using iweb 08. I publish to a folder and place on server using ftp software. All works fine.
I want to allow users to leave comments on my blog (newsletters)
I've selected "Allow Comments" in the iweb inspector (as per another older post from your link)
The options appears as I'm building the site...cool.
When I go to the online website there is nowhere for anyone to leave a comment. http://www.gonutsracing.com
(I also lose some formatting such as drop shadows...minor issue though..)
I've read all over the place to find the right answer but am confused as to the easiest way to get this user comment feature working...
Thanks

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
I've built a website using iweb 08. I publish to a folder and place on server using ftp software. All works fine.
I want to allow users to leave comments on my blog (newsletters)
I've selected "Allow Comments" in the iweb inspector (as per another older post from your link)
The options appears as I'm building the site...cool.
When I go to the online website there is nowhere for anyone to leave a comment. http://www.gonutsracing.com
(I also lose some formatting such as drop shadows...minor issue though..)
I've read all over the place to find the right answer but am confused as to the easiest way to get this user comment feature working...
Thanks

I had exactly the same problem as someone had suggested using a blog page but when it was uploaded there was nowhere to leave comments hence my using an offsite guestbook.
I used exactly the same theme as yours for my website :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.