Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent survey of the "coolest" brands in the UK found that the iPhone placed at the #2 spot while Apple placed at the #3 spot. The list was topped by Aston Martin.
The annual CoolBrands poll reflects the opinions of industry experts and more than 2,500 members of the public. Members of the expert judging panel include Mother strategy director Dylan Williams, fashion designer Ben de Lisi and television presenters June Sarpong and Lauren Laverne. The panel is chaired by Stephen Cheliotis, chief executive of the Centre for Brand Analysis.
The 2007 list (PDF) had the iPod in the #2 spot. The iPod is nowhere to be found on this year's list. Meanwhile, Apple has jumped up from #7 in 2007 to #3 this year.

Article Link

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Very surprised to see that Apple products hit the list in 3 separate locations and that Porsche is no where to be found...

on that list it said "ipod" not "Iphone" as a small side note.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It appears for the last two years an Apple product has edged out the Apple name. The iPod was up there in '07 and the iPhone in'08.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It appears for the last two years an Apple product has edged out the Apple name. The iPod was up there in '07 and the iPhone in'08.

Not surprising... How many people do I hear saying "when is Mac going to come out with blah blah blah"... Kinda annoying, but understandable.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
but but....

wow my comment was written wrong...

I agree how is a company a brand ? if your talking about ipods and iphones in the same list

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
It's Steve Martin's son, of course! :D

Rémy Martin's cousin... ;)

Gotta say, the moment I read Lauren Laverne as being part of the panel I immediately switched off...

She's the wannabe obercool Indie chick "show me the money" retard who (somehow) now hosts the Culture Show. She received minor recognition with Kenickie (sp?) way back in the late 90's.... Just awful!

I'm a very confused individual on this one...!!! Even more so when coupled with the likes of June Sarpong... ZZZzzzzzz....!

If this is a slice of British 'culture' then we're doomed... :eek::eek:

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I'm curious how this works? :confused: How is a company a brand? I suppose either way, it's pretty cool that both the iPhone and Apple got in the top three.

wow my comment was written wrong...

I agree how is a company a brand ? if your talking about ipods and iphones in the same list

Branding and/or brand recognition can be synonymous with the company itself if the company's brand is ubiquitous enough. For example, Disney is a brand and a company. Xerox is a brand and a company (many people still say "Can you xerox that for me" instead of "can you make a photocopy of that for me on the xerox brand machine or hp brand machine, etc.)

So yes, Apple is a brand. When you cut yourself, do you ask for a band-aid? Or a generic bandage? You probably say band-aid which is one of many "brands" of bandage, but the only one most people know of (in the U.S.)

By the way, Google is also both a company and a Brand as well. (i.e. "Google that" as opposed to "search for that using the Google search engine".)

I'm curious how this works? :confused: How is a company a brand? I suppose either way, it's pretty cool that both the iPhone and Apple got in the top three.

Who's Aston Martin?

With the entire world's information now at our finger tips it is simply amazing to me how people are actually becoming more ignorant and more misinformed than ever before.

I truly weep for our future generations...

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I had to look it [Aston Martin] up, I had no idea either.

06-aston-martin-db5.jpg
aston-martin-dbs-james-bond-007-film-22-big.jpg

I suppose you've never heard of James Bond either, right? :rolleyes:

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
You're kidding right?

With the entire world's information now at our finger tips it is simply amazing to me how people are actually becoming more ignorant and more misinformed than ever before.

I truly weep for our future generations...

Thank you for your pity. Sadly, I didn't find the time to Google until after I was answered with such a wise and informative response. I'm glad that there are people to look down upon people who don't give a rat's ass about luxury cars. Truly, there are not more important things in this world.

I suppose you've never heard of James Bond either, right? :rolleyes:

Heard of. Not a fan.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
You don't need to be a 'fan' to at least be cognescent of one of the most famous and well-known brands of car in the world.

No implication made that you were, or should be, a fan of Bond either; most people are aware of the long and extremely profitable link between the two. Don't get so shirty. ;)

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
What a bogus survey.

Everyone knows that the MacBookPro-foaming-in-the-mouth-fanaticism brand is much stronger, and louder, than either the Apple brand or iPhone brand combined.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
i'm also in the united states "on the other side of the pond" so to speak and i also had to look up ashton martin. at first i got it mixed up with american eagle's mature brand martin + osa. :apple:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You don't need to be a 'fan' to at least be cognescent of one of the most famous and well-known brands of car in the world.

No implication made that you were, or should be, a fan of Bond either; most people are aware of the long and extremely profitable link between the two. Don't get so shirty. ;)

Well, I'll bet if that survey were taken in the US, Aston Martin wouldn't have made the top 10 - not because it isn't famous as one of James Bond's cars (there was that Mustang in one of the films...) but because it's just not nearly as iconic a brand here (outside of the UK.) Yes, very cool cars, and I even had the privilege of driving one from Houston to Virginia Beach before shipping it back to the UK for the owner, but most Yanks didn't know what it was. Yes, they noticed it on the street, or at the gas station, but didn't recognize it. Even the cops had to pull me over to figure out what I was driving. Noticable? Yes! Recognizable? Not on your life! Not like a Jag, or a Beemer, or RR, or Ferrari, etc. I think to be "cool" most average folks should be able to instantly recognize what "brand" something is... Otherwise how can they assign a "coolness" factor to it? So, in the UK - Aston Martin = very cool, but maybe not in the US. Mysterious, maybe. Classy, definitely. Cool, hmmm...

I'd agree, that you don't have to be a fan (of Bond) "to at least be cognisant of one of the most famous and well-known brands of car in the world...," but it helps to be from England to assume that the brand is Aston Martin.

I have to wonder if, in fact, "most people are aware of the long and extremely profitable link between the two..." (Bond and Aston Martin) In fact lots of young folks today don't even know who Sean Connery is, or that he ever was Jim Bond. :)

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Apple is a brand. iPhone, Mac and iPod are products.

Consumers are stupid. Just like the people who tell me "my Adobe isn't working", when they mean Acrobat.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
i'm also in the united states "on the other side of the pond" so to speak and i also had to look up ashton martin. at first i got it mixed up with american eagle's mature brand martin + osa. :apple:

By the name, my instinct told me that they made overpriced, prestigious khakis or something. Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Aston Martin.

No implication made that you were, or should be, a fan of Bond either; most people are aware of the long and extremely profitable link between the two.

Well, I'll bet if that survey were taken in the US, Aston Martin wouldn't have made the top 10 - not because it isn't famous as one of James Bond's cars (there was that Mustang in one of the films...) but because it's just not nearly as iconic a brand here (outside of the UK.) Yes, very cool cars, and I even had the privilege of driving one from Houston to Virginia Beach before shipping it back to the UK for the owner, but most Yanks didn't know what it was. Yes, they noticed it on the street, or at the gas station, but didn't recognize it. Even the cops had to pull me over to figure out what I was driving. Noticable? Yes! Recognizable? Not on your life! Not like a Jag, or a Beemer, or RR, or Ferrari, etc. I think to be "cool" most average folks should be able to instantly recognize what "brand" something is... Otherwise how can they assign a "coolness" factor to it? So, in the UK - Aston Martin = very cool, but maybe not in the US. Mysterious, maybe. Classy, definitely. Cool, hmmm...

I'd agree, that you don't have to be a fan (of Bond) "to at least be cognisant of one of the most famous and well-known brands of car in the world...," but it helps to be from England to assume that the brand is Aston Martin.

Exactly. I'm sure that there are some big brands here (US) that are nothing across the pond (UK). Arby's? Chuck E. Cheese's?

I have to wonder if, in fact, "most people are aware of the long and extremely profitable link between the two..." (Bond and Aston Martin) In fact lots of young folks today don't even know who Sean Connery is, or that he ever was Jim Bond. :)

I know about Connery; he's been imitated many times. I don't know much about Bond, James Bond, other than that he's kind of like Batman without a costume but a better sex life. I don't think he holds as much hero-status with the young generation as he used to. On the other hand, I'll tell you everything about Tyler Durden or Beatrix Kiddo.

Don't get so shirty. ;)

I was more turned off by infowarfare's condescending generalization of "our future generations" following my initial question. Didn't intend to start any shirt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.