Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
Has anyone done an upgrade from Fusion 1.1 to Fusion 2.0?

How did it go? Do you need to reactivate Windows XP, or does it use the prior installation?

Is the upgrade worth the trouble? (It seems to be free to licensed users of Fusion 1)

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Aloha,
Bob

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
I'm curious as well. I've been holding off upgrading because everything is working just great with the old version.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I installed the update. For what I do, I can't really say I noticed anything significantly different. But, it's supposed to have better graphics support.

Didn't have to reactivate Windows. But, I did have to update the VMWare Tools (just choose it from the menus once Windows is running - just like the first time you installed).

Everything seems to be fine both in Fusion and when I switch to Boot Camp.

JNB

macrumors 604
I ran the beta for quite a while, and upgraded to the official release some weeks back. Cleaner front end, better handling of the vm OS's, preferences are a little more organized and less buggy, the overall experience is a definite, albeit not huge, improvement. Zero problems, total reliability. Not taking any cost into consideration, I'd say this is a worthwhile upgrade. If you spend more than an hour a day in it, it's worth $30-$40 easily.

Using it with XP Pro SP2 and Win2K3 Server.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Oh, the one thing I forgot to mention was that I did like the bonus of the free McAfee Antivirus / Firewall program in the new Fusion update.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
Upgrade to Fusion 2.0 worked smoothly

Well, I gave the upgrade a try. Everything worked smoothly. The loader found the existing virtual machine and upgraded it, so nothing needed to be re-loaded (except VMWare tools, which happened automatically when Windows loaded the first time). There was no need to reactivate Windows XP. Everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

karim7

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
I just upgraded to 2.0 and I have noticed that my windows xp has been running slower even just browsing the web or moving things around on my desktop. Also I had to reinstall my copy of windows because I get kept getting a hardware found message every 10 seconds. Reinstalling windows fixed this problem but it's still running slow.

I'm running a macbook c2d with 2gb of ram

karim7

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
I believe the MacBook I have which isn't the latest release does not support 4gb of ram. The max is 2gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.