PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Tetris Game In Terminal!

ArtMan617
May 29, 2002, 07:53 PM
I forget where I came across this (actually, it might have been here), but here is what to do to play an interesting version of Tetris in the terminal in OS X.

In a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys.

I just played it and while it's all text-based, it's relatively fun for those in need of a quick tetris fix. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

Macmaniac
May 29, 2002, 08:05 PM
How do you acess OS X terminal?? This may sound dumb but I am fixing for some Tetris, gotta love mac programers for hiding little treasures.

ArtMan617
May 29, 2002, 08:09 PM
To get to the terminal, go into Applications then to Utilities and it should be loose in there (note: this is in OS X). Once you open the program, there should be a terminal window that pops up where you begin the procedure that I listed before. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

firewire2001
May 29, 2002, 08:10 PM
you guys chure this isnt a emacs e-egg?

Smasher
May 29, 2002, 08:26 PM
works for me, although I can't seem to turn the blocks:(. Make sure not to hit enter after you press esc or x.

Zaren
May 29, 2002, 09:09 PM
To rotate, use the up arrow key (and possibly the down, I didn't check that).

-----
Apple hardware still too expensive for you? How about a raffle ticket? (http://www.macraffle.com/index.php?aff_id=144)

sluthy
May 29, 2002, 09:23 PM
I can't seem to get it to work. I type emacs, press Esc, then when I press x, I get a beep. Whether or not I type in another x, I type in tetris and get "unknown command". What's the beep for?:confused:

edesignuk
May 29, 2002, 11:16 PM
Works for me perfectly, thanks for the tip ArtMan617 :D, I don't suppose you have anymore? ;)

Macmaniac
May 30, 2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by ArtMan617
To get to the terminal, go into Applications then to Utilities and it should be loose in there (note: this is in OS X). Once you open the program, there should be a terminal window that pops up where you begin the procedure that I listed before. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

Thanks for the help, now to start playing Tetris..

ArtMan617
May 31, 2002, 07:10 AM
Sadly, I don't know of any more OS X easter eggs...also, for those of you that were having problems with it, the insructions I gave were correct and it should work...

-ArtMan617

icetraxxg5
May 31, 2002, 07:02 PM
This is really cool! Unix Tetris! :D

Here are some other eggs, I guess...
•Hold down shift and click the minimize button on a window for slow motion mode
•Hold down shift+ctrl and click the minimize button on a window for a VERY slow motion mode
•Type Bill Gates in the terminal (OK, this really isn't an egg but its kinda cute):)

Gelfin
May 31, 2002, 07:21 PM
Er... this is not technically an "easter egg," and nobody at Apple had any hand in creating it. It's not really even an emacs easter egg. More like a little application written for emacs (emacs is a ridiculously powerful UNIX text editor with its own scripted LISP-based programming language).

More stuff comes with emacs than any one person will ever use, and tetris just happens to be one bit of that stuff. You can get an idea what's there game-wise by looking in /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play.

chmorley
May 31, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ArtMan617
In a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys.
-ArtMan617
Artman forgot to mention--hit the return key after typing emacs. That should get it to work for y'all.

Chris

ArtMan617
Jun 1, 2002, 09:36 AM
Sorry about that...I must have hit enter involuntarily when I tried it....

-ArtMan617

Draft
Jun 19, 2002, 08:26 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the tip Artman. I know that I probably shouldn't complain, but it should display the level that you are currently on, or maybe something about the difficulty you are currently at. Other then that, it's the same as the original.

thanks,
Draft

mc68k
Jun 22, 2002, 10:36 AM
As far as tertis games go, this one is pretty lame IMO. Controls suck and implementaion is rough…

macagain
Jun 22, 2002, 11:06 AM
this is not a os x thing, nor a terminal thing, nor a unix thing. it's just something available in emacs. try this... Esc-x doctor.

G4scott
Jun 23, 2002, 09:47 AM
I think there's a text based RPG called dunnet, or something like that that came with OS X.

Royal Pineapple
Jun 23, 2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I think there's a text based RPG called dunnet, or something like that that came with OS X.
any idea how to do this? i love the tetris.

G4scott
Jun 23, 2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple

any idea how to do this? i love the tetris.

do the same thing for tetris, but instead of typing "tetris", type "dunnet" and it should work. I had found another way to do it without having all of the clutter of the emac program, but I forgot how to do it.

buffsldr
Jun 23, 2002, 02:11 PM
That was fun. Yeah, it is not the greatest version, but it is just cool to play it in the terminal

Wes
Jun 23, 2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Gelfin

More stuff comes with emacs than any one person will ever use, and tetris just happens to be one bit of that stuff. You can get an idea what's there game-wise by looking in /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play.

How do i get to /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play? where do I enter that?

Thanks for the help

ArtMan617
Jun 23, 2002, 06:03 PM
I've been playing "dunnet" a bit and I'm currently at the "ferocious bear". Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? I have a CPU card also. I realize that asking for help for a text-based RPG is pretty pathetic but I've found the game to be pretty interesting.

-ArtMan617

G4scott
Jun 23, 2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W

How do i get to /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play? where do I enter that?

Thanks for the help

In the finder, press Apple + "~" (the key to the left of the #1 key.) Then type the directory, which in this case, would be "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play".

Woah... there's solitaire too!

G4scott
Jun 23, 2002, 07:46 PM
Here's how you're supposed to run dunnet. Type this in at the terminal prompt:

emacs -batch -l dunnet

This opens it without the 'UI' of emacs. Enjoy.

Solipsys
Jun 24, 2002, 03:18 AM
throw the bear the food you pick up right before it...

i'm stuck at the vax machine log-in...

any help with that one:)

ArtMan617
Jun 24, 2002, 10:50 AM
I'm stuck at the VAX machine now too...anyone have any ideas?

-ArtMan617

jermsmingy
Jun 24, 2002, 11:25 AM
If you need a therapist go to the terminal and type emacs then hit esc then type x doctor. tell the therapist your problems and he will help you. I don't know if this has been posted here yet or not.

eyelikeart
Jun 24, 2002, 11:42 AM
he he he...the things people will find when they have lots of time on their hands... ;)

Swiftstorm
May 9, 2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks so much Artman and Macagain. Tetris is cool and therapist is awesome!

I only read this post yesterday and have been experimenting.

Try this:

emacs, esc, x, solitaire (it's not the card game).

NusuniAdmin
May 9, 2004, 07:32 AM
How do you acess OS X terminal?? This may sound dumb but I am fixing for some Tetris, gotta love mac programers for hiding little treasures.

emacs was not programmed by mac programmers, it has been around for years on unix/linux.

thejazzman10
May 9, 2004, 08:23 AM
okay, here is what you do....i tried making threads on this but they didnt get much responses....anyway, in a new terminal window type this exactly ls /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/play -make sure you dont forget the space!!!! (and substitute 21.2 for 21.1 if u have jag) then you will get a list of games, and then you can make a new window, and(ill repeat it just incase) type emacs and press esc+x,type in one of the things listed, and have fun! make sure you try out the doctor.This isthe way to find ALL the possible games.

j

edit:whoops, sounds like you guys were having fun finding them out on your own...oh well! :D

question fear
May 9, 2004, 08:42 AM
I've been playing "dunnet" a bit and I'm currently at the "ferocious bear". Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? I have a CPU card also. I realize that asking for help for a text-based RPG is pretty pathetic but I've found the game to be pretty interesting.

-ArtMan617

if you've already found the spoiled food drop it there, the bear will eat it.

(whoops, guess that was already posted...uh...im stuck at the same place everyone else is otherwise. so i contribute nothing, NOTHING to this thread.)

CmdrLaForge
May 9, 2004, 10:47 AM
I forget where I came across this (actually, it might have been here), but here is what to do to play an interesting version of Tetris in the terminal in OS X.

I just played it and while it's all text-based, it's relatively fun for those in need of a quick tetris fix. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

Cool !!! :cool: :cool:

russed
May 9, 2004, 11:19 AM
how do you play dunnet?

Veldek
May 9, 2004, 12:39 PM
Unbelievable, that a 2-year-old (!) thread suddenly gets this much attention... :eek:

18thTomorrow
May 9, 2004, 01:43 PM
I love the doctor program, it is *hilarious*! I had so much fun telling it about my lack of a boyfriend...Wow, my friend's Windows box can't do cool stuff like that... :cool:
Britt

thecow
May 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
•Type Bill Gates in the terminal (OK, this really isn't an egg but its kinda cute):) That doesn't do anything. Whats the point?

keysersoze
May 9, 2004, 03:09 PM
That doesn't do anything. Whats the point?

Bash Bill?

keysersoze
May 9, 2004, 03:35 PM
if you've already found the spoiled food drop it there, the bear will eat it.

(whoops, guess that was already posted...uh...im stuck at the same place everyone else is otherwise. so i contribute nothing, NOTHING to this thread.)

I typed in "eat lamp" and got a funny reply.

i shook a tree and a stupid coconut fell on me.

Dead. Again. argg.

_pb_boi
May 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
do the same thing for tetris, but instead of typing "tetris", type "dunnet" and it should work. I had found another way to do it without having all of the clutter of the emac program, but I forgot how to do it.

To run without emacs Window (which it says it should be, though not sure why):

emacs -batch -l dunnet

Edit: my bad, already answered.

Also... straight from another site on the net, try ESC > X > Hanoi
And from another...

grep LOTR /usr/share/calendar/calendar/history - LOTR calendar.

yoman
May 9, 2004, 07:21 PM
I'm stuck at the VAX machine now too...anyone have any ideas?

-ArtMan617

I am stuck too.

edit: realized I as well was adding nothing to the thread b/c my remark was already achieved before.

windowsblowsass
May 9, 2004, 09:42 PM
what do i do
on the first level

yoman
May 9, 2004, 10:16 PM
For those of you having trouble with dunnet just go to the following link:

Dunnet Walkthrough (http://c64.cheats.de/cheat_extern.php?id=154077)

Have fun. :)

Note: it was a pain to hunt down on the internet.

iBook
May 9, 2004, 11:29 PM
This is really cool! Unix Tetris! :D

Here are some other eggs, I guess...
•Hold down shift and click the minimize button on a window for slow motion mode
•Hold down shift+ctrl and click the minimize button on a window for a VERY slow motion mode
•Type Bill Gates in the terminal (OK, this really isn't an egg but its kinda cute):)

More please!

For "Bill Gates," though, I didn't get anything but "command not found." Did I do something wrong?

Swiftstorm
May 10, 2004, 03:37 AM
in a new terminal window type this exactly ls /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/play -make sure you dont forget the space!!!! (and substitute 21.2 for 21.1 if u have jag)

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying it and I'm getting errors etc. I'm using Jag.

Could you just tell me what to type on a new line or something (might make it easier, thanks).

Swiftstorm
May 10, 2004, 03:49 AM
It's alright, I just cut and pasted what you wrote and changed it for jag. Thanks a lot! We should send this thread to the developers of emac to thank them for these ancient addictive games.

LOL, that is great! I can't even pick up the damn shovel! Well actually I can, but I can't do anything else. Help!

Edit: Tell the doctor that you're an alcoholic, you'll have a couple of laughs after it hears this.

Nermal
May 10, 2004, 05:20 AM
The "Bill Gates" trick only works under Jaguar. It would reply with "kill Gates?"

yoman
May 10, 2004, 01:05 PM
It's alright, I just cut and pasted what you wrote and changed it for jag. Thanks a lot! We should send this thread to the developers of emac to thank them for these ancient addictive games.

LOL, that is great! I can't even pick up the damn shovel! Well actually I can, but I can't do anything else. Help!

Look at my previous post in this thread (#44 I believe) with a link to a walkthrough to the game.

benpatient
May 10, 2004, 02:16 PM
finally! a game i can play without compromises on my G5!!!!

You manage to get about two feet up the tree and fall back down. You
notice that the tree is very unsteady.
>shake tree
You begin to shake a tree, and notice a coconut begin to fall from the air.
As you try to get your hand up to block it, you feel the impact as it lands
on your head.
You are dead.
You have scored 0 out of a possible 90 points.

kylos
May 10, 2004, 02:17 PM
I've never been able to figure emacs out. Is there any way to save a transscript of a conversation with the doctor?

Also, I can start a game and whatnot in emacs, but I always end up by closing out the emacs window. I've tried ctrlx and ctrlc and just about everything else but can't exit.

Hamshrew
May 24, 2004, 01:26 AM
I've never been able to figure emacs out. Is there any way to save a transscript of a conversation with the doctor?

Also, I can start a game and whatnot in emacs, but I always end up by closing out the emacs window. I've tried ctrlx and ctrlc and just about everything else but can't exit.

Ctrl-X, followed by Ctrl-C, with no other keys pressed in between.

shyataroo
May 24, 2004, 03:47 AM
whoever started this thread must have read the macaddict that tells you how to do that as well as the other things like a recipie for some of the best damn chocolate chip cookies I have ever had especiall when you over bake them and "carbonize" them *hears crickets but no ones laughing*

P.S. ...And a Unix user said rm-tf* and all was null and void
...And a Windows User click start and BFSOD popped up