Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristopheJD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Well I have a dead pixel on my iPod Touch (2nd gen), and my hold button is kinda weird. One part of it is pressed down and won't come back up (I even tried to pull it up). It still works, but its a bit weird cause I have to press the part that is still sticking up. I didn't notice it until now. Anyway, I don't plan on visiting an Apple store anytime soon, and I would like to know if there is a cutoff date for replacing an iPod with a new one, and not a refurbished model. I was hoping I could wait until at least a month before my warranty expires (I do keep my things in very good shape) and exchange the iPod. Also, my iPod is engraved. Will that be a problem? Also, can I get it re-engraved?

Ezra12

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Burbank, CA
Well I have a dead pixel on my iPod Touch (2nd gen), and my hold button is kinda weird. One part of it is pressed down and won't come back up (I even tried to pull it up). It still works, but its a bit weird cause I have to press the part that is still sticking up. I didn't notice it until now. Anyway, I don't plan on visiting an Apple store anytime soon, and I would like to know if there is a cutoff date for replacing an iPod with a new one, and not a refurbished model. I was hoping I could wait until at least a month before my warranty expires (I do keep my things in very good shape) and exchange the iPod. Also, my iPod is engraved. Will that be a problem? Also, can I get it re-engraved?

Hmmmm maybe that happened because you used your ipod to much and kept on pushing on home button... :confused:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Hmmmm maybe that happened because you used your ipod to much and kept on pushing on home button... :confused:

idk about reengrave, but they ALWAYS give refurbished (unless u return and rebuy, which is 14 days).

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
As soon as the refurbs start appearing, which should probably be any time now, you will more than likely receive a refurb over a brand new unit no matter what.

ChristopheJD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Awwwwww booo... Okay. And it's my hold button not the home button. Still though, I can't get over the fact that I pay $430 including tax for my iPod, and I still get those defects. Bad pixel, weird hold button. Ugh.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
when i got my ipod touch (1g) replaced under warranty i got a replacement that looked perfectly new (ie. wrapped in plastic, no scratches). i thought they gave you new ipods, or do they just replace the exterior?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
when i got my ipod touch (1g) replaced under warranty i got a replacement that looked perfectly new (ie. wrapped in plastic, no scratches). i thought they gave you new ipods, or do they just replace the exterior?

I have purchased refurbs from Apple. Never a problem. Look at it this way, it was returned because of a problem. It was new, the problem was fixed and the device was made to look new.

Your odds should be better of having a defect free product. I realize that you bought new and you want new, however, I just want things that work today. I hate taking things back.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
kockgunner said:

That's a refurb, the exterior (glass screen, back plate) are all new (hence no scratches), but the inside of it (all the chips, LCD, etc) are taken out of used iPods.

Awwwwww booo... Okay. And it's my hold button not the home button. Still though, I can't get over the fact that I pay $430 including tax for my iPod, and I still get those defects. Bad pixel, weird hold button. Ugh.

I'm sorry to say but you just happen to be one of the very few people that have a defective unit, you can't expect every single one of the millions upon millions of iPods to be totally perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.