Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackwind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Hi all, I am new to this forum, but i have been watching this forum, since i pwn my iphone the last 2mths.

As i mention in the LOVE OR HATE thread, i actually just got myself a Macbook Air 1.6GHz. Love it.

What else should i be getting for it? Superdrive? or the wireless hd thing?

Thanks

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If you're going to be doing a lot of traveling, I'd recommend at least the ethernet adapter, if not also the modem. Many hotels still don't have wi-fi in the guest rooms.

Another solution is to get an airport express for travel -- though that still wouldn't solve the modem problem.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
The wireless hd is probably handy if you have a lot of files. Furthermore, if you use cd, than get a superdrive, otherwise, there isn't really a need

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Oh, one more thing -- make sure your USB accessories work in the USB port -- you may need to get new ones. My xD reader doesn't fit, and neither did a memory stick I have. You could also get a short USB extension or a hub to solve this problem.

blackwind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
i have used my usb 4gb Sandisk stick directly to my mb air's usb and works fine... and also i have Maxtor 2.5" Portable HD also work great... but good advise for me to get a hub or 4ports usb.

Might invest some money in superdrive and also a wireless Capsule HD from apple. they are nice. I also wondering, if anyone bought the apple recommended INCASE HARDSHELL for the Macbook air 13" http://store.apple.com/au/product/TQ934LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTY3MDQ3OA ...? Is it hard crystal case that fragile like the mobile phone clear case? or is it stretchy and laminate sort of thing?

Thanks

dcMobile

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
NYC
I'll tell you what to get... a 500 GB, triple-interface portable drive. Endless storage, even with a 100 GB partition for use as your time machine drive. And Apple's online store selling them for $170.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Definitely the SuperDrive, your adapters for mini-DVI/VGA are included, (unless you bought it used and the seller didn't include them), external HD at least 500GB, Ethernet Adapter, Ethernet Cable 15' - 25', a nice sleeve, and a 4-port hub.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
If you're going to be doing a lot of traveling, I'd recommend at least the ethernet adapter, if not also the modem. Many hotels still don't have wi-fi in the guest rooms.

Another solution is to get an airport express for travel -- though that still wouldn't solve the modem problem.

+1; you also might want it for when you get AirPort dropouts in Leopard:D

blackwind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Originally Posted by glitch44
you need a "t"!
hehehehehe!!! Now that's funny!!:)

I do find it seriously funny for treating newbie that way.

Thank to all other advise and inputs. One question about the 1T capsule, i can use it for normall windows pc as external HD?
I am trying to find out wheather to get 1T Capsule (AUD$699) vs the external W.D or Maxtor 1T (AUD$199)?

Thanks

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I do find it seriously funny for treating newbie that way.

Thank to all other advise and inputs. One question about the 1T capsule, i can use it for normall windows pc as external HD?
I am trying to find out wheather to get 1T Capsule (AUD$699) vs the external W.D or Maxtor 1T (AUD$199)?

Thanks

My experience with using time capsule as an external HD is not so good. For that money, it's better you get an external/portable HD. 500 gigs is good.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
i would advise a powered usb hub for your peripherals when at home. makes it easy to unplug and walk away.

also for home - a second monitor to extend the desktop.

as for on-the-go accessories, an extra ac adapter is handy so as not to have to mess with unplugging your home one is your plug is hidden behind the desk. battery life isnt so hot and so youll want to bring one when traveling.

enjoy your mba!!

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
The most important thing is being calm and understanding. You ask why I say that?

You will meet those Macbook users that will burn you. Tell you for $1,000 they got a machine that is better then yours, that the weight does not matter.

You wiil meet netbook users that install a hackintosh and they will tell you that are an idiot and they got a OS X on a small computer without playing $1,600.

Be calm and cool, its the most important thing when getting a Macbook Air

kobefan234

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2008

how will the airport express help you create a wireless network? and what is the modem for the macbook air?

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
1. Spare AC adapter
2. Ethernet adapter
3. A nice lip cover case
4. A 3" USB cable, this will help with some accessories where the USB plug doesn't fit.

You don't need anything else but time to enjoy it.

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Here what's in my bag:

1 - Ethernet Adapter
2 - Pen Drive (8gb or more)
3 - Fiber cloth

At work I have a external monitor, a wireless mighty mouse and a wireless apple keyboard plus a Griffin Elevator, and a old wireless router which I use to clone my company PC's MAC Address, so I can have full access to my corp network.

At home I don't use anything. I have and iMac on my desk, the Air is most used at the living room or on the bed.

When traveling, I do recommend the Ethernet Adapter. I don't think the modem is necessary: I can share my iPhone connection using NetShare, and even over Edge it outperforms dial up access. Unfortunately it's not available anymore on the AppStore, but it's easy to find over the internet.

I never felt the need of a Super Drive. I don't recommend it.

nomadpass

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
1. Spare AC adapter
2. Ethernet adapter
3. A nice lip cover case
4. A 3" USB cable, this will help with some accessories where the USB plug doesn't fit.

You don't need anything else but time to enjoy it.

Hey where can I get the 3 inch USB cable extension? Ive been looking but cant find. Can someone link me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.