Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Hi

Some time ago, someone set up http://www.findaporsche.com for me. It was recently moved to a new server and, since then, the internal links aren't working.

I've bought Coda in the hope of sorting it out myself, but am struggling. I can't see where in Coda the links to the various pages are.

Can anyone help, please? :)

Cheers

Phil

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Hi thanks for replying and for pointing this out.

I hadn't realised there was Flash on the site, I thought it had been done using frames - it's some years old.

What do I need to edit the Flash navigation?

Thanks again. :)

Phil

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
There must be a way of fixing it. Can I take the flash out, maybe?

Sure, you can take it out. The images below each flash link is the same link without any text, just the image. You can possibly put text in above each image so people know what each link is for.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Can I do that in Coda? I assume there is some code relating to the flash bits?

I am planning to redo the entire site myself - just bought RapidWeaver so am learning that :confused:

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
this isnt meant to be rude, but it sounds like you are hoping coda will wave its magic wand and fix everything. Coda is meant to help you do your coding, but you still need to know the coding and what you are doing. Thats just what I got out of your questions. Also, it would prob be easier to just start over rather than trying to fix or work around someone elses design.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
this isnt meant to be rude, but it sounds like you are hoping coda will wave its magic wand and fix everything. Coda is meant to help you do your coding, but you still need to know the coding and what you are doing. Thats just what I got out of your questions. Also, it would prob be easier to just start over rather than trying to fix or work around someone elses design.

Hi, not at all. I see Coda as a tool that would allow me to get under the bonnet of the site and find the problem. Sure, I'm new to all this, but I've a working knowledge of HTML and half a brain.

The Flash part of the site must be accessible for modifying, surely?

Phil

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
The link for those buttons is built into the flash file, so won't be accessible by anything you use for coding I'm afraid.

You will need to get your hands on the original flash file, alter the links in Flash, then export to swf.

Flash is a proprietary technology and cannot be altered or created with code in the same way that you would alter or create HTML or CSS.

On a side note, the site is done using frames as you thought, and the top frame is your navigation. This contains the link to your swf file.

I think your on the right path having bought Rapidweaver and it may be a good idea to just redo your site as planned rather than try and fix the old broken design. You can integrate your blogger blog into your Reapidweaver site too.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
The link for those buttons is built into the flash file, so won't be accessible by anything you use for coding I'm afraid.

You will need to get your hands on the original flash files, alter the links in Flash, then export to swf.

Flash is a proprietary technology and cannot be altered or created with code in the same way that you would alter or create HTML or CSS.

OK, thanks. I assume that the original flash files aren't stored on the server, then?

Phil

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
They may be, but it's unlikely. It really depends on what the designer decided to do with them. They may no longer exist, they may be on his hard drive or knocking around on a CD somewhere... Or he may of uploaded them to a folder on your hosting server. Should be a .fla file if its on there.

More info about flash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.