Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
So how many other developers are developing apps for their personal use?

I know I've written some: several test/benchmark apps, a couple apps which may or may not comply with the strictest reading of the app store guidelines, a few apps which weren't worth the cost of designing an attractive store icon but were fun or educational to try anyway, and a just plain personal one (dials a hard-coded phone number with a nice picture of the SO as the icon).

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I was thinking of doing something for my brother, but haven't started anything yet.

1phaedrus

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Me two ;-)

I've actually started iPhone programming in order to port a Palm app that I use often to the iPhone. It's called VadeMecum, and it's a calculator app for large format photographers (though applicable to all kinds of photography). It was originally coded by Bob Wheeler, and porting it is turning out to be hairy. Well, you live to learn!
On the other hand, I just threw together a simplistic app that calls a mailto URL (as demontrated in another thread on this forum) in order to prepare a mail message with adresses of my relatives that I mail often. I just might add some preferences to that and submit it to the store, it's functionality should at least be as worthwhile as some torches, lighter or teddybear apps.;)

Happy coding!
Christoph

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Besides one official app that's all I've done. My phone is full of white icons. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.