Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chetanvedvyas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that their new 2G Touch screen seems as though it is a little washed out compared to the iPhone? Is it just me?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Well, it is a bit yellowish, but that's on purpose. Are you within 14 days of purchase? Perhaps it's that specific iPod.

chetanvedvyas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
How does your Touch do here? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/
This was from way back when the first few batches of the first-gen Touch had problematic screens.

I don't mean that the screen was absolutely washed out. In fact, I didn't even notice the yellowness you mentioned.

I meant that relatively, compared to the iPhone 3G, the Touch I have seems a bit washed out. Do any of you have a friend with an iPhone (or even another Touch) with whom you can compare?

I think Engadget briefly mentioned what I'm talking about here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/19/apple-ipod-touch-2g-and-nano-4g-the-engadget-review

Basically, I want to make sure it's not just my Touch with this issue.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
my mate's iphone looks better overall or at least less 'washed out'. my 2g touch is better looking than my ig touch was but it does have trouble going all white or all black: quite annoying i suppose but i don't really watch movies with it

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Are you talking about this?
ff.jpg

Or does your screen just looked a little grainy?

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
my ipod touch looks better then the 1G. looks more like the iphone now.

chetanvedvyas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Thank you all for the responses.

cjmal: My screen doesn't look grainy at all. On the image you posted, the bottom is from an early 1st gen Touch, no?

My screen just looks a little less saturated than the iPhone 3G. Overall it's still pretty good.

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't get a dud.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Thank you all for the responses.

cjmal: My screen doesn't look grainy at all. On the image you posted, the bottom is from an early 1st gen Touch, no?

My screen just looks a little less saturated than the iPhone 3G. Overall it's still pretty good.

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't get a dud.

Those are actually both iPhones, but the iPod touch (1st gen) had the same problems. The top iPhone is a pre-september 2007 iPhone, the bottom is a post-sept iPhone (after the price drop). I was just using it as an example though. Good to know that your screen isn't suffering from these problems. From what i've heard so far, the 2nd gen iPod touch has a better screen than the 1st gen. Hopefully ill be able to get my hands on one soon so I can see for myself.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
yes, new 2G ipod touch screen is yellowish. but it's better when you look at photos, videos stuff. it looks more brighter compared with old touch, iphone 3G, old iphone screen. so I just set only 30% of brightness. it's still brighter to me. so I can save battery life. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.