Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspatts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
what do you guys recommend for managing and getting App data off the iphone.. i've started writing a custom app (jailbroken, not apple sanctioned) that I will be using to collect/store various data... i'm currently storing a bunch of text files (CSV) in my application's Documents sandbox...

i want to get the data files off somehow to manipulate this data on my computer. although i could be wrong, i don't think the iTunes sync will allow me to manage or pull down/sync app data..

in addition to pulling down data, i'd like to easily manage the files on here, such as deleting older files I no longer need. or adding new files manually without entering individual data points into my App.

i'm currently using SSH/SCP, but this is painful as the App's directory keeps changing with every build (into some unique Hex-looking-identifier dir).. (i haven't learned enough about iPhone apps to figure out why this happens, and what the implications will be if it continues to change after i start collecting real data)..

File management seems like a problem alot of people have (and many iPhone apps i have come with their own proprietary uploader program for the Mac)..

so i want to focus on building my app's main functions, and not having to write a file manager.. is there anything out there i can just plugin/integrate into my app to get something like this with a GUI on both the iPhone and Mac? or maybe a file manager/uploader SDK or a web server & app that has upload/download/delete/overwrite functions? or an easy to integrate AFP server that I can configure to my app's Doc dir?

i have a feeling i'm gonna get stuck just writing an scp/rsync script. that's pretty lame.

cpatch

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
If they're just CSV files, the easiest way is to email them...although you can't automatically send the email you can prepare it (including contents) and launch Mail so that the user just has to hit send.

If you want the whole procedure to be transparent to the user then you pretty much have to connect to a backend server, upload the file(s), and then either make them accessible for download through a web interface or have the server email them.

Craig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.