PDA

View Full Version : Loud DVD drive?

321estrellas
Oct 2, 2008, 02:13 AM
Do any other Mac Pro owners here (that have a stock DVD drive) have a loud drive? I'm trying to watch a movie and it's very noticeable over the movie's audio. It's pretty annoying and not what I would hope for in a $3000 machine, y'know? Yeah, I could buy a new one, but I don't need to...so for now I just want to know if this is pretty normal. And it sounds more like fans than something spinning really fast...but I could be wrong on that.

grue
Oct 2, 2008, 03:26 AM
Do any other Mac Pro owners here (that have a stock DVD drive) have a loud drive? I'm trying to watch a movie and it's very noticeable over the movie's audio. It's pretty annoying and not what I would hope for in a $3000 machine, y'know? Yeah, I could buy a new one, but I don't need to...so for now I just want to know if this is pretty normal. And it sounds more like fans than something spinning really fast...but I could be wrong on that.

Fast or quiet: Pick one.

321estrellas
Oct 2, 2008, 03:58 AM
Good call...I should use the other bay for a slow and quiet one :p

grue
Oct 2, 2008, 04:11 AM
Good call...I should use the other bay for a slow and quiet one :p

If it's a big deal to you, it mightn't be a bad idea. Which generation is your Mac Pro?

rshanahan
Oct 2, 2008, 09:11 AM
Mine never used to be loud except for the last month or so (my pro is 2 years old). It's one of the Pioneer drives. I'm guessing the spindle bearing is wearing out. Might be because I ripped my entire CD library (over 600 cd's).

I have Applecare (good til next year) so I guess I'll wait for it to break and even then, if they want to keep my pro for 2 weeks I'll just buy a new drive myself and put it in. I don't think they'll replace it just for being noisy if it still is working fine.

iGrant
Oct 2, 2008, 09:17 AM
Mine never used to be loud except for the last month or so (my pro is 2 years old). It's one of the Pioneer drives. I'm guessing the spindle bearing is wearing out. Might be because I ripped my entire CD library (over 600 cd's).

I have Applecare (good til next year) so I guess I'll wait for it to break and even then, if they want to keep my pro for 2 weeks I'll just buy a new drive myself and put it in. I don't think they'll replace it just for being noisy if it still is working fine.

I had Apple replace my SuperDrive in my Macbook once because it got annoyingly loud and slow. They should replace it with no complaints, and because it a common component vs a logicboard, etc, Apple should have the computer back you relatively quickly. My Macbook was gone and back in 3 business days. I was impressed.

-iGrant

Eidorian
Oct 2, 2008, 09:19 AM
The drive should be quiet for movie playback. Even my slot drive is quiet enough for it.

Now if you're ripping a DVD or copying data that's another story.

iGrant
Oct 2, 2008, 09:32 AM
The drive should be quiet for movie playback. Even my slot drive is quiet enough for it.

Now if you're ripping a DVD or copying data that's another story.

Agreed, if you are just playing a Movie and it that loud, the DVD drive should be replaced. That is not normal especially for a desktop drive.

-iGrant

321estrellas
Oct 2, 2008, 01:44 PM
Which generation is your Mac Pro?

I got it this February. So that's the current generation, isn't it? 2.8ghz, 8-core...I stopped following Mac Pro updates and visiting this board once I got mine, haha.

Glad some people above are saying it shouldn't be loud for movie playback. Not sure if it's worth hauling my Mac Pro over two cities over to have it replaced (especially if they're going to take it for a while and I'd have to come back). But then again, an Apple Store opened in Vancouver a couple months ago and I have yet to visit, so this might give me a reason :D

I'm saving my second bay for a Blu-Ray burner when the right time comes.

iGrant
Oct 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
I got it this February. So that's the current generation, isn't it? 2.8ghz, 8-core...I stopped following Mac Pro updates and visiting this board once I got mine, haha.

Glad some people above are saying it shouldn't be loud for movie playback. Not sure if it's worth hauling my Mac Pro over two cities over to have it replaced (especially if they're going to take it for a while and I'd have to come back). But then again, an Apple Store opened in Vancouver a couple months ago and I have yet to visit, so this might give me a reason :D

I'm saving my second bay for a Blu-Ray burner when the right time comes.

Blu-ray is at the top of the list for man a Mac Pro owners, I still don't see it coming anytime soon honestly.

-iGrant

rpaloalto
Oct 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
What kind of dvd is it?
If it's a store bought movie, dvd. Then it should not be loud.
If the movie is a ripped or copied movie. Or if it is a home made movie, like a movie from iDVD, then it will spin very fast and loud.
Sometimes cheap store bought movies will also do this if the studio skimped on the mastering of the dvd.

Most movie dvd's are incoded in a certain way, so it will tell the drive that it is a movie dvd .Allowing the drive to spin down to produce less noise.

Try another dvd movie. Like a recent good quality movie, from a major studio.
If you still get lots of noise from your drive call apple.

iGrant
Oct 2, 2008, 02:22 PM
What kind of dvd is it?
If it's a store bought movie, dvd. Then it should not be loud.
If the movie is a ripped or copied movie. Or if it is a home made movie, like a movie from iDVD, then it will spin very fast and loud.
Sometimes cheap store bought movies will also do this if the studio skimped on the mastering of the dvd.

Most movie dvd's are incoded in a certain way, so it will tell the drive that it is a movie dvd .Allowing the drive to spin down to produce less noise.

Try another dvd movie. Like a recent good quality movie, from a major studio.
If you still get lots of noise from your drive call apple.

I have never had that problem, even with the movie I made of me learning how to drive . . .

-iGrant

mmccaskill
Oct 3, 2008, 12:16 PM
Mine is a little loud. But I've noticed if I lift the lid and press the drive in a tad the noise stops. I think its just vibrating against the case.

moutian
Oct 5, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have the 1st gen mac pro. It is loud here too.