PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RW on 17" Powerbook

Grimace
Jan 25, 2004, 12:42 PM
Regarding burning DVD-RWs on a 1Ghz 17" Powerbook running Panther.

1. I put the DVD-RW in the drive - shows up as "untitled DVD"
2. Files dragged to the open window
3. Choose "Burn" - given options for speed.

This is the same procedure as burning a DVD-R so I'm worried that burning the disc will turn it into a DVD-R. Do I have to use Toast etc. to make it a DVD-RW?

jeremy.king
Jan 27, 2004, 01:44 PM
The media determines whether a disc is rewritable, not the way you burn it.

No worries, burn the DVD-RW and when you want to erase it, you can do so with Disk Utility or Toast.

Grimace
Jan 27, 2004, 02:13 PM
Am I to assume that these DVD-RW discs are not like CD-RWs where you can add data, come back in two days and add more, etc.

as in, is it a one-time burn, then erase; then one-time burn again??

virividox
Jan 27, 2004, 02:28 PM
no you can burn multiple sessions

pooky
Jan 27, 2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by virividox
no you can burn multiple sessions

Really?! How? I haven't been able to figure it out, using the Finder or Toast. Fill me in!

monkeydo_jb
Jan 27, 2004, 04:44 PM
Pardon the possibly stupid question, but can the 15" TiBooks
burn DVD-RWs?

-jeff

Grimace
Jan 27, 2004, 05:15 PM
yeah, I've never seen how to do multiple sessions with a DVD-RW - if anyone knows how, please post.

I believe any Superdrive running Panther (not Jaguar) can burn DVD-RWs.

virividox
Jan 27, 2004, 05:21 PM
i use toast

pooky
Jan 27, 2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by virividox
i use toast

So do I, but it doesn't like writing to discs that have already been written. Is there a special option I'm missing?

Regarding the question about 15" powerbooks, I know that out of the box, they cannot burn DVD-RW. There is an *unoffical* firmware patch that you can apply to change this. I did it to my 'book, and it works fine. Many others have been successful as well. Your mileage may vary. Search this forum, you should find it...the URL is escaping me at the moment.

virividox
Jan 27, 2004, 05:53 PM
my bad, i made a mistake i was looking at cd options when i was seeing if it could do multiple sessions

sorry to get ur hopes up, i think i need to get to bed:D