PDA

View Full Version : a subtle hint to uncooperative housemates

billyboy
Jan 25, 2004, 02:31 PM
Hope it isnt too profane, or profound

GAS, ELECTRIC AND TV LICENCE

I am severely peed off with how disorganised it has become putting money in the meters.

In order to get around this communication breakdown and cut out a lot of ****, please budget properly for gas, electric and TV. It is a paltry 20 a month. This 20 is second on your list of priorities after the rent, and before you buy any food, CDs, chocolate, top ups on mobile phones, new iPods, furry seats for your Ford Capri.

There is nobody living in this house in a position to carry anyone else financially. Just because Brian has a bank account doesn't mean there is anything it.

So, this is the routine - unless of course anyone has a better idea, or specifically wants to see the dark side of Brian.

A) On Feb 1st, put 10 in the gas meter. That is Feb 1st, not 2nd or 5th. and the figure is 10, not 5 or 6.34 and a bus token.

B) When you see the gas meter at around 5, that is 5, not 60p or LESS THAN ZERO, or 9.50, go to the Spar and put another 10 on the card. It doesn't take a group committee to go to the Spar to pay for your share of the gas. Just do the right thing for our little community and buy 10 of gas.

C) If you are the first person to contribute, put a tick in the box by your name on the form below. This makes sure everyone knows you have paid first, which will either please or displease them, depending on whether or not they just bought some fast food with the money out their "gas" jar. It should definitely make you feel good, knowing you actually contributed to the smooth-running of the house without having to turn on a vacuum cleaner.

More to the point, it also means that it is obvious who hasnt paid. We all walk past the notice board ten times a day, and we can all read, so there is no need to have to speak to anyone - which is good. Looking daggers at someone not contributing, conveniently avoids the need for lots of ************ conversation, like,

"Time to pay for more gas and electric, mate."
"No, I paid something last week."
"Well we run out, it's what gas and electric does when you take showers, wash your furry car seats and dry your scrogs on the radiator."
"OK, I-ll get some cash tomorrow or next Thursday week."

If you have not contributed an equal share at the same time as everyone else, watch out! Being responsible with what little money we have, the majority of the lodgers here have a budget specifically for paying for gas. If you want to play by your own rules, then go sleep in the frigging garden shed until you have the money to share the gas, electric and TV services that other people are paying for.

This isnt a one way rule. You have every right to send anyone else who hasn't paid down to the garden shed too. But if you are not paying your way on a regular basis, ie twice, you will be taken down the garden shed and beaten severely by your housemates - and you know that isnt an idle threat! - don't you Steve!

iGav
Jan 25, 2004, 02:41 PM
err, why not go onto a proper bill cycle and split the bill equally each time??

kettle
Jan 25, 2004, 02:44 PM
Don't pay the TV licence.
Don't let the b2 s t @rd s set one foot inside your door without a warrant and a policeman to present it.

Bring down the BBC.

iGav
Jan 25, 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by kettle
Don't pay the TV licence.
Bring down the BBC.

and get your arse fined for X times the amount... :p

kettle
Jan 25, 2004, 03:03 PM
If you are stupid enough to let them in, fine, go to straight to jail, don't pass go and don't collect 200.

The BBC will get as much sticking to themselves as Tony (I'm your mate) Blair.

I hope the liar gets it and I hope History remembers him for it.

bont
Jan 25, 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by kettle
The BBC will get as much sticking to themselves as Tony (I'm your mate) Blair.

I hope the liar gets it and I hope History remembers him for it.
About as likely as my ex-housemates paying back their share of the household bills I ended up having to pay off myself 10 years ago...:(

billyboy
Jan 25, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
err, why not go onto a proper bill cycle and split the bill equally each time??

That would be even worse, a bigger bill and even bigger hassle prising the money out of some really mothballed wallets.

It is interesting about the TV license. There are 2 non Brits here and they were both totally against paying. Saw it as some sort of right to have free TV. Fair enough if you don't see the value in advert-free tele on half the channels. Funny thing is, now, a few months on, they get really peed off watching films on Channel 5, because of all the adverts!

If you ever watch Spanish TV, the ads are literally every 15 minutes and they last 15 minutes per set of ads. It has got so bad that the in thing to do is watch two films at once and flick between the two. It is breeding a generation of complete TV screw heads.

iGav
Jan 26, 2004, 03:00 AM
new housemate time...

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
It is interesting about the TV license. There are 2 non Brits here and they were both totally against paying. Saw it as some sort of right to have free TV. Fair enough if you don't see the value in advert-free tele on half the channels. Funny thing is, now, a few months on, they get really peed off watching films on Channel 5, because of all the adverts!

If you ever watch Spanish TV, the ads are literally every 15 minutes and they last 15 minutes per set of ads. It has got so bad that the in thing to do is watch two films at once and flick between the two. It is breeding a generation of complete TV screw heads.

Weird, a TV license. I guess I would feel them same way. The commercials pay for the TV over here. Even the cable or satelite has commericals, and you have to pay for that.

What is this TV license, exactly??

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 03:35 AM
More on subject..

In my experience, if you live with people that have problems paying the bills, GET OUT ASAP!!!

These people never change. I had one roommate that never had the money to pay the rent on time, and one month he just moved out (without paying that months rent which was already late). I had to pay that entire's month rent plus I lost my deposit and I had to pay an early lease termination fee!

Beware, if you let it slide, people will walk all over you.

Awimoway
Jan 26, 2004, 03:53 AM
Please pay the BBC. We enjoy it a great deal over here. ;)

iGav
Jan 26, 2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Dippo
Weird, a TV license. I guess I would feel them same way. The commercials pay for the TV over here. Even the cable or satelite has commericals, and you have to pay for that.

What is this TV license, exactly??

if you own a TV here, you have to have a license to own one. The fee goes only to the BBC not ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5, they are commercial channels that are funded by advertisers.

If you have a TV and decide not to tune in BBC you still need a license, if you have a TV purly for playing your PS2 you need to have a license.

If you want more channels, you can have Sky (NTL etc etc) and that costs extra on top of the license...

What makes it worse is that BBC actually do have adverts, some of them very long... but they're advetising their own programming, products etc... the good thing about the BBC however is that films, and TV shows are not broken by adverts....

So to own a TV, it'll cost you 125 ($225) bargin.. :rolleyes: <edit> and that's a year! :eek:

iMeowbot
Jan 26, 2004, 04:38 AM
Really the US has the same thing, but it's hidden in income taxes so you pay for it even if you don't have a TV. It shows up in the form of advertisements for military recruitment, PBS and NPR funding, and so on.

iGav
Jan 26, 2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by iMeowbot
Really the US has the same thing, but it's hidden in income taxes so you pay for it even if you don't have a TV. It shows up in the form of advertisements for military recruitment, PBS and NPR funding, and so on.

I didn't know that.... I dread to think what are lurking in our income taxes....

That said, the private motorist here funds Education, the NHS etc etc.... :eek: :rolleyes:

edesignuk
Jan 26, 2004, 06:05 AM
That said, the private motorist here funds Education, the NHS etc etc.... :eek: :rolleyes:
aint that the truth :rolleyes: http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_shakeheadfrown.gif

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by iMeowbot

Yea, I would rather just let the government take out the 20-30% out of my check than having to pay all these little fees.

Well, I guess we do have to pay taxes on all the stuff we buy, but that is a state thing and not federal, well except for gas and a few other things, oh well.

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 07:55 AM
if you own a TV here, you have to have a license to own one. The fee goes only to the BBC not ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5, they are commercial channels that are funded by advertisers.

If you have a TV and decide not to tune in BBC you still need a license, if you have a TV purly for playing your PS2 you need to have a license.

If you want more channels, you can have Sky (NTL etc etc) and that costs extra on top of the license...

What makes it worse is that BBC actually do have adverts, some of them very long... but they're advetising their own programming, products etc... the good thing about the BBC however is that films, and TV shows are not broken by adverts....

So to own a TV, it'll cost you 125 ($225) bargin.. :rolleyes: <edit> and that's a year! :eek:

Wow, is that on a per TV basis?
If so, I guess yall don't have a lot of TVs in your house?
I got a TV for every room. Like 7 TVs for only 5 people.

iGav
Jan 26, 2004, 08:51 AM
Wow, is that on a per TV basis?
If so, I guess yall don't have a lot of TVs in your house?
I got a TV for every room. Like 7 TVs for only 5 people.

no, that's per house...

ebow
Jan 26, 2004, 08:54 AM
I spent a semester at the University of Sussex so I'm familiar with the TV license nuisance (125/year for 2 channels, bah--and I remember only one of the BBCs haviong programming I liked). We had a small TV in the dining area and couldn't get Channel 5. We didn't pay for the license for a while but then some flatmates claimed they were getting nervous and we ought to pay up, so I coughed up my small share of it. I'm not sure if they actually paid it or just knew that they could convince me to hand them some cash. Oh welll.

What strikes me as odd is the pay-as-you-go gas meter. Is there a little card reader in your place that accepts pre-pay cards (like phone cards) and cuts off the gas if the charge runs down? I guess that cuts down on the need to have a meter reader come and check every month (or every few months) but it just seems... well, foreign to me. I've either had to set up an account with the gas company, or the landlord pays the bills and it's built into the rent.

And I sure as hell know about mooching worthless unreliable lazy-ass roommates. My friend-roommate found a subletter one summer who ended up being quite lousy at having any sense of what it costs to live in an apartment or how to establish a sustainable cash-flow to pay for it. Amazingly I recovered all but $120 or so. The lesson I learned was: if it's summer and you're working, and you're in a nice town (Ann Arbor) and don't plan to be home much, just cancel the cable and live without TV for a few months. It's just that much less to collect from a deadbeat roommate, and that much less reason for him to bring his friends over. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about that any more, now that I have a roommate-for-life (fiance). :D

So lay down the law with your flatmates, and if nothing changes, either kick them out or get out (if you can). I feel your pain.

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ebow
I spent a semester at the University of Sussex so I'm familiar with the TV license nuisance (125/year for 2 channels, bah--and I remember only one of the BBCs haviong programming I liked). We had a small TV in the dining area and couldn't get Channel 5. We didn't pay for the license for a while but then some flatmates claimed they were getting nervous and we ought to pay up, so I coughed up my small share of it. I'm not sure if they actually paid it or just knew that they could convince me to hand them some cash. Oh welll.

What are they going to do throw you in jail for not paying to watch TV?

Are they not going to let you leave the country for not paying your TV bill?

Do rich people pay it or do they find some loophole to get around it?

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 09:23 AM
I found a website that explains this stuff:

http://www.tv-l.co.uk

Read this

Our detection equipment will track down your TV

The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection.

How our detector vans can catch out licence evaders We can detect a TV in use, in any area. That's because every TV contains a component called the 'local oscillator', which emits a signal when the television is switched on. It's this signal that the equipment on our vans picks up.

But, what if you live in a block of flats or a house without road access? Well if this is the case our enquiry officer can simply use one of our hand-held scanners. Measuring both direction and strength of signal, they make it easy for us to locate television sets in hard to reach places.

Can we say invasion of privacy???

I think if they just gave the money, that they used to enforce this law, to the BBC or whoever I think they would be better off.

ebow
Jan 26, 2004, 11:23 AM
I found a website that explains this stuff:

http://www.tv-l.co.uk

Read this

Can we say invasion of privacy???

I think if they just gave the money, that they used to enforce this law, to the BBC or whoever I think they would be better off.

Hahahahah... You said "privacy." From this Yank's meager understanding of the way things have been going in the UK, this is just one less-severe example of privacy, er, trade-offs. I know several cities are surveillance camera -happy, police are looking forward to devices that will let them track and control cars remotely, and so on... I'm not complaining per se, just noting that this seems to be the way things are, over there.

ebow
Jan 26, 2004, 11:27 AM

Are they not going to let you leave the country for not paying your TV bill?

Do rich people pay it or do they find some loophole to get around it?

I dunno--probably nothing in the end, but as you've read, they make it out to be quite a horrific crime. I think I only coughed up 5 or 6. Damn, I could have bought three or four more pints with that money! (serious lament, not sarcastic)

cubist
Jan 26, 2004, 12:24 PM
125 pounds per year is serious money. I think I'd give up TV if it cost me that much. After all, with Internet, who needs TV?

boskie
Jan 26, 2004, 01:42 PM
From the TV Licensing (http://www.tv-l.co.uk) website's page regarding their TV Detection VansHow our detector vans can catch out licence evaders
We can detect a TV in use, in any area. That's because every TV contains a component called the 'local oscillator', which emits a signal when the television is switched on. It's this signal that the equipment on our vans picks up.

But, what if you live in a block of flats or a house without road access? Well if this is the case our enquiry officer can simply use one of our hand-held scanners. Measuring both direction and strength of signal, they make it easy for us to locate television sets in hard to reach places

Does anyone know whether there is a Local Oscillator within all of the many flavours of TV cards, i.e. USB, PCI, AGP etc?

If not, which there most likely is; this could be a way to reduce one of those bills!

And if you use a PC with nice hot processors then this could also double as some heating to reduce your leccy n gas bills aswell:D

oldschool
Jan 26, 2004, 01:47 PM
Can someone explain to me this "Gas Card" business?

You don't just get a monthly bill? From what i understand you can go put money on your card...at some store, then put the card in the gas meter?

cheekyspanky
Jan 26, 2004, 07:51 PM
Actually you can get put in jail for not paying the license, if you're caught without a license and refuse to pay the 1000 ($1814) fine !

To be honest I think the TV license is good value for money, the programs are much better than most of those on the rival channels and the "adverts" shown between BBC programs usually only advertise the program that will be on in the next hour or two. Also, the BBC isn't just two channels, there's BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC (Childrens BBC), CBeebies (for 1 - 5 year olds I'd guess) and News 24. There are also local news broadcasts for each region of the UK as well as the BBC Online website and then there are also the Radio stations, Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Live, 6, 7, 1Xtra and BBC Asian Network - all without annoying adverts.

As well as that the BBC also do many outside events which must cost a fortune to stage and attract large audiences, for example the Radio 1 - 1 Big Sunday I attended had an audience of approx 70,000 people and was effectively a 2 hour concert with many well known musicians, and was totally free to attend.

All in all I think thats value for money!

Supa_Fly
Jan 26, 2004, 09:42 PM
BillyBoy, ......

But if you are not paying your way on a regular basis, ie twice, you will be taken down the garden shed and beaten severely by your housemates - and you know that isnt an idle threat! - don't you Steve!

You the ****n Guvna!!!!!

Good Show thats telling them. I've been there and hated it much. Oh and if they smoke another ganja, smack it outta their hands till they pay the gas.

LOL, man that must've really turned your crank!! I wanna write a movie on that whole scenario. Quinten Tarantino style, everyone will be laughing hard for weeks!

iGav
Jan 27, 2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by cheekyspanky
Actually you can get put in jail for not paying the license, if you're caught without a license and refuse to pay the 1000 ($1814) fine !

To be honest I think the TV license is good value for money, the programs are much better than most of those on the rival channels and the "adverts" shown between BBC programs usually only advertise the program that will be on in the next hour or two. Also, the BBC isn't just two channels, there's BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC (Childrens BBC), CBeebies (for 1 - 5 year olds I'd guess) and News 24. There are also local news broadcasts for each region of the UK as well as the BBC Online website and then there are also the Radio stations, Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Live, 6, 7, 1Xtra and BBC Asian Network - all without annoying adverts.

As well as that the BBC also do many outside events which must cost a fortune to stage and attract large audiences, for example the Radio 1 - 1 Big Sunday I attended had an audience of approx 70,000 people and was effectively a 2 hour concert with many well known musicians, and was totally free to attend.

All in all I think thats value for money!

But to get the extra BBC channels you need to either subscribe to Sky or get Freeview, (which costs money to buy the box in both cases) and Freeview (for non ariel users) cuts out the main ITV (and commercial) channels unless you have Sky.

In which case, a sizeable amount of the population are funding services they either cannot recieve (my mum lives in area where she can't pick up Freeview, so needs to use Sky to get any reception at all) or don't want.... that is NOT good value for money for the majority of the population.

I would also argue that the BBC programs are not 'much' better than the average programming on all the terrestrial channels, but that's an subjective opinion though.

The adverts between channels also show what's on next... but what about all those extended play Radio adverts, or Freeview adverts...?? that sometimes go on for minutes at a time?? it's not supposed to be a 'commercial' station, if it can advertise it's own products why can't it advertise other peoples??

The Radio Stations, well do they really need that many??

And the large 'Free' events, well they're not 'Free' really are they?? anyone with a Television License finances these events, yet only a tiny fraction actually make use of that service or can attend (limited entrace numbers etc etc)

The BBC is not a fair system for the majority of the population simple as.

It'd be very interesting to see if people had the option of not having to buy a License and dropping BBC services whether they would?

sonofslim
Jan 27, 2004, 09:07 AM
can somebody clear up this whole 'gas card' thing for us yankees? we just get monthly bills based on our useage.

iGav
Jan 27, 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by sonofslim
can somebody clear up this whole 'gas card' thing for us yankees? we just get monthly bills based on our useage.

okay then, we can pay by monthly bills as well... most people do... however if you've had a history of debt, or are in debt with the supplier you can have a meter added to your house, and are given a gas card.

You then add money to the card at Post Offices etc etc, and then you put that into the machine at home it credits you with that amount of Gas, hence you don't have a bill and can't get into debt.

The Gas supplier can also adjust the meter so that if you are in debt with them, rather than getting further in debt, they set it up so that if you spend say 10 on Gas, you might only get 8 to use, but that 2 goes towards paying off your debt, and over a period of time, you're debt free again.

Alot of rental houses have meters, that way tenants can't leave the house, owing a few hundred to the Gas Co.

sonofslim
Jan 27, 2004, 10:58 AM
that's a great idea -- too bad we live in a debt-based economy over here...

rueyeet
Jan 27, 2004, 11:08 AM
C) If you are the first person to contribute, put a tick in the box by your name on the form below. This makes sure everyone knows you have paid first......More to the point, it also means that it is obvious who hasnt paid. What's to keep anyone from marking down that they've paid, when they haven't? If your flatmates are so irresponsible to think six pounds & change & a bus token will do, do you really trust them to be truthful about whether they've paid?

ebow
Jan 27, 2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by sonofslim
that's a great idea -- too bad we live in a debt-based economy over here...

Too bad??? That's what makes America great! And keeps up beholden to our corporate masters! :D

billyboy
Feb 2, 2004, 07:55 PM
Home life just got a little less difficult. I had to confront one of the non-payers about the TV licence - I thought he was hard to get on with because of a language barrier maybe, so I never raised my voice or said anything remotely aggressive, and he was looking at me sort of vacant. The second I mentioned bills, he was as fluent as anything, he knows his numbers off by heart, and he made out it was such a surprise that it was due, beause he had paid 5 for gas four weeks earlier and he had financial problems and blah, boring blah. He said maybe he'd pay me in a week, so I just glazed over and told him he owed it, then he was coming down from, Pay you next Saturday, NO, now, to Thursday, No, now, to Tuesday. So I gave him 2 days. and thought that was cool between us.

Anyway, next day I say hi and he doesnt talk to me at all, next time I see him I say hi, he completely stonewalls me. He came in one night and did say, "Got your money" so I said thanks and held my hand out and he counted the cash out and it was like apart from my hand, I was completely invisible to him. Really funny. So that's the end of that beautiful friendship I guess.

Its quite interesting though, if you have a tenant from hell like he is really, there's very little you can do to get them out. Obviously if he did something violent, or vandalised something, adios, but just being a subtly unpleasant character and just about paying his way, legally, he's in for however long he wants on the current contract. Unless anyone knows a loophole to push him through!

celaurie
Feb 2, 2004, 08:35 PM
Easiest answer... A shotgun. Don't kill anyone, just threaten them. Works every time.

However, the powers that be want to have sectioned after it. But that's okay, because you get a nice little cell in the local psychiatric unit and three square meals a day... Also included in this package is all the gas, electricity and tv you can cope with. They even do your washing!

All this comes after the 72 hour out-of-your-face medication cycle...

What are you waiting for!?

Dippo
Feb 2, 2004, 11:35 PM
Its quite interesting though, if you have a tenant from hell like he is really, there's very little you can do to get them out. Obviously if he did something violent, or vandalised something, adios, but just being a subtly unpleasant character and just about paying his way, legally, he's in for however long he wants on the current contract. Unless anyone knows a loophole to push him through!

Well he won't leave then you could always leave.

Or better yet, you could just stop paying the bills. After the gas/electric/water is cut off and you get the fined for no having a TV license and you get evicted for not paying the rent...then all your problems will be solved.

billyboy
Feb 3, 2004, 05:44 AM
Well he won't leave then you could always leave.

It is a nice place we have here, I don't want to leave.:mad:

kettle
Feb 3, 2004, 05:36 PM

That's the badger!

People go to jail in defiance. In the U.K. more people go to prison for traffic offences than burglary. Go figure.