PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek - OK, Mac, Make a Wish

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2004, 02:41 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Newsweek - OK, Mac, Make a Wish (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040125154111)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

dukemeiser
Jan 25, 2004, 06:03 PM
If that's so, then why is the Mac market share, even after Apple's recent revival, sputtering at a measly 5 percent? Jobs has a theory about that, too. Once a company devises a great product, he says, it has a monopoly in that realm, and concentrates less on innovation than protecting its turf. "The Mac-user interface was a 10-year monopoly," says Jobs. "Who ended up running the company? Sales guys. At the critical juncture in the late '80s, when they should have gone for market share, they went for profits. They made obscene profits for several years. And their products became mediocre. And then their monopoly ended with Windows 95. They behaved like a monopoly, and it came back to bite them, which always happens."

A wicked smile cracks the bearded, crinkly Steve Jobs's visage, and for a moment he could be the playful upstart who shocked the world 20 years ago. "Hmm, look who's running Microsoft now," he says, referring to former Procter & Gamble marketer Steve Ballmer. "A sales guy!" The smile gets broader. "I wonder ..." he says.

That is great, and it makes sense too. That is exactly what Microsoft is doing. Going after profits and letting the product go to hell. This could be the beginning of the end.

winmacguy
Jan 25, 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by dukemeiser
That is great, and it makes sense too. That is exactly what Microsoft is doing. Going after profits and letting the product go to hell. This could be the beginning of the end.

I must say I hadnt quite thought of it like that. I guess you could say a few cracks are beginning to appear in Microsofts armour. Mind you considering what they are worth, their market share and how much CASH they have in their large piggy bank, and their main form of income from certain mainstay desktop applications, I would say that it would be a long while yet before any such wishfull thinking like their demise could ever occur.

nagromme
Jan 25, 2004, 08:55 PM
I see Newsweek got in the oft-parrotted jab at "rabid apple-heads." As if people complaining to journalists aren't often pointing out genuine errors! Mac reporting is rife with them--so corrections may be expected. Immature and negative ones too? Yes--but no more so with "apple-heads" than with any other segment of the Internet population.

Still, gotta keep that stereotype going :D

Doctor Q
Jan 27, 2004, 09:55 PM
I just got that Newsweek issue. The best line in the article is this one:Now, no matter what computer you use, you're using, essentially, a Mac.Their point is that the GUI introduced to the public with the Macintosh in 1984 is now the only interface anyone uses, Windows or Mac.