PDA

View Full Version : Make your Mac go negative!

sethypoo
Jan 25, 2004, 06:35 PM
Here's a neat little trick that is sure to get some laughs.

If you already knew this existed, please excuse this post, as I thought this was way, way cool.

Open up System Preferences. Click on Universal Access. Click on "Switch to White on Black". Ta-da! Paradigm shift! Enjoy!

:) ;) :D ;) :)

Nermal
Jan 25, 2004, 10:25 PM
Easier way: Press Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-8 :)

Powerbook G5
Jan 25, 2004, 10:37 PM
It's amusing how often I hear of people wandering into Universal Access and posting about how insanely cool some random feature of it is.

MrMacMan
Jan 25, 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It's amusing how often I hear of people wandering into Universal Access and posting about how insanely cool some random feature of it is.

Yeah really.

This has been known for a wwhhiillee.

Where is that repost smiley...

:p

Kingsnapped
Jan 25, 2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for saying that PBG5, I went in there to play and tried to turn on the keypad mouse. That's when System Prefs. crashed.

Now my PB blinks for alert sounds :D

sethypoo
Jan 25, 2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5

Remember that it's the simple pleasures in life that make things interesting.

I was poking around, and BAM there it was. I didn't know, and I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

Edit: sorry I wasn't a computer geek quite as early as you guys.;)

2nd edit: weren't you guys surprised when you first stumbled across that feature?

Ajmbc
Jan 25, 2004, 11:54 PM
What is this feature for?

rainman::|:|
Jan 26, 2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Ajmbc

Computers today are black-on-white, because that's the way print appears in physical media-- newspapers, books. However, because of the brightness of monitors, it should properly be white-on-black, white text on a black background. For the most part, people don't notice the problem... but people that have poor eyesight have a very hard time making text out.

So, negative mode makes white text on black... try it, it's easier to read. if you're not familiar with command-lines, it may take a moment to get used to.

paul

vniow
Jan 26, 2004, 12:03 AM
Good for looks, bad for battery...

TimDaddy
Jan 26, 2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Ajmbc

I took an ambien a little while a go. right now i am drinnking a bacardi silver. I think this feature is for my situation!!! You gotta ry it some time !!!

idkew
Jan 26, 2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by vniow
Good for looks, bad for battery...

isn't white "off" for lcds?

vniow
Jan 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by idkew
isn't white "off" for lcds?

Yeah but when you reverse it all the panels are turned on, sucking up more power, try it and see what happens to your battery, whew!

sethypoo
Jan 26, 2004, 12:18 AM
Yeah but when you reverse it all the panels are turned on, sucking up more power, try it and see what happens to your battery, whew!

Thanks for warning me/us, I would have turned it on on my 12" PowerBook G4 tomorrow at school. Believe me, I need my battery life to be as strong as possible.

idkew
Jan 26, 2004, 09:56 AM

i wans't disagreeing with you, i was agreeing.

rainman::|:|
Jan 26, 2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by TimDaddy
I took an ambien a little while a go. right now i am drinnking a bacardi silver. I think this feature is for my situation!!! You gotta ry it some time !!!

i'll gladly try it. you give me some ambien, i'll report back. about 14 hours later. :D

good ****, ambien.

paul

Wes
Jan 26, 2004, 10:41 AM
About a year ago I knew a cooler trick, it didn't make it go grayscale and inverted, it inverted the whole mac while keeping the colours. It was crazy, I can't remember the key combo anymore.

g30ffr3y
Jan 26, 2004, 10:51 AM
i found that trick in jaguar once when i was shutting down my quicksilver all drunk and pushed the wrong button... i thought it was so cool i went to my local apple store and did it to most the demo computers... they couldnt flip it back and got kinda pissed at me... i fixed them and showed them what i did... its fun to show the apple store employees new tricks...

ebow
Jan 26, 2004, 11:08 AM

I thought that black was off, for LCDs, as in no light. Whereas white is a combination of R+G+B fully on. But then, I don't have a PB (nor an LCD of my own, save my work wintel laptop), so I can't comment on power consumption.

Regardless, the inverted display is pretty cool indeed.

Speaking of the Jaguar-era trick... In Panther, by default, doesn't the "Switch to White on Black" button make the colors invert, so that the traffic light control widgets become purple, blue, etc.? I'm at work stuck in front of the aforementioned wintel laptop.

agreenster
Jan 26, 2004, 01:27 PM
Wow. It is a lot easier on the ol eyeballs.

icetraxxg5
Jan 26, 2004, 01:44 PM
For the inverted color effect turn on "Switch to white on back" and then click "set display to grayscale".

TEG
Jan 26, 2004, 01:47 PM
Additional Cool Trick,

Use Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-8 to go negative greyscale.

Now go to Universal Access and turn-on white on black, viola, you have an inverted screen, with color. Its cool.

TEG

isus
Jan 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
to mess with n00b osx users, turn on the magnification as high as it will go... now that's fun :)

agreenster
Jan 26, 2004, 02:03 PM
That zoom feature is pretty useful!!

jimjiminyjim
Jan 26, 2004, 06:09 PM
...but I never took the time to use it. It is quite obviously much better on the eyes, and *is* cool enough to make a note of. The close, minimize and maximize buttons sure are ugly in negative color...

mactastic
Jan 26, 2004, 06:34 PM
I love the zoom feature. I use it all the time to get in close on drawings I'm working on or to zoom in on photos etc. Sometimes it's good to get a quick zoom and then back out.

ebow
Jan 26, 2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by TEG
Additional Cool Trick,

Use Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-8 to go negative greyscale.

Now go to Universal Access and turn-on white on black, viola, you have an inverted screen, with color. Its cool.

TEG

Or you could just click on the Switch to White on Black button once (unless my installation of Panther is working incorrectly).

King Cobra
Jan 26, 2004, 07:48 PM
Ahh, yes. The "Kick-ass" complete monitor invert trick. Anybody remember this thread? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45517) :D

Wes, that's the color trick you mentioned earlier.

MrMacMan
Jan 26, 2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Ahh, yes. The "Kick-ass" complete monitor invert trick. Anybody remember this thread? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45517) :D

Wes, that's the color trick you mentioned earlier.

As I said... Re-Post.

;)

kylos
Jan 26, 2004, 10:17 PM
What's interesting about the invert is the window shadowing. It gives the appearance of a light shining from behind the windows, kind of appropriate for the silhouetted appearance.