PDA

View Full Version : Class Rings

Steradian
Jan 25, 2004, 07:50 PM
As I am senior (in high school) I have been Mulling over the decision to buy a 2004 class ring. I have heard from many different people, all of which tend to say that while it would a good-thing to have, the ring that I should get is the one after i graduate from a university as I will most likely just loose the HS class ring. What are your thoughts and Opinions, I have already set aside some cash for it.

MacBandit
Jan 25, 2004, 07:53 PM
Class rings are a total waste of money.

There are free forms of sentimental objects like photos that are much more valuable.

Steradian
Jan 25, 2004, 07:56 PM
Haha I know what you mean about the pictures, I have quite a few that I would deem priceless, however it is quite easy to customize a class ring. Anyone else have some thoughts?

wdlove
Jan 25, 2004, 08:00 PM
I purchased my high school class ring, because it was the thing to do at the time. Have also lost that ring. Didn't get a college ring. My most precious ring is my wedding band.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 25, 2004, 08:02 PM
i wear a signet ring to match my father's and my grandfather's... beats the hell out of any class ring and means so much more... in 3 years you won't remember high school anyway...

revenuee
Jan 25, 2004, 08:03 PM
I got a class ring ... i wore it around grad time and now it just sits in a box .... i wasn't going to get one because there were so ugly ... but i found one at the end that i really liked .... totally different then the other one's ... very simple

i like it ... i'm glad i have it ... i don't think any of my friends from highschool wear there's either ... but i met an upper year girl who wears hers ..

i like the idea of having it ...

MacBandit
Jan 25, 2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
....in 3 years you won't remember high school anyway...

Agreed. Seems to me those that dwell on High School aren't busy enough creating there future.

revenuee
Jan 25, 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Agreed. Seems to me those that dwell on High School aren't busy enough creating there future.

In all fairness high school helped me start my future ....

we had closed circuit television at our school and we would do the morning announcements in a news style format ...

It was part of the requirements for the Broadcast class ... i learned by basics in production

My teacher helped get started in freelance wedding videography.

I sparked my interests in film in highschool with the help of a few teachers ...

gwuMACaddict
Jan 25, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
I never got either high school or college rings. Like wdlove my wedding band is the best ring. (And one that I am very attached to since I have gained so much weight since I got married that I haven't been able to get it off in 4 years. :eek: )

eh, better that way- no divorce! :D

scem0
Jan 25, 2004, 08:49 PM
I want to get one, but I keep putting it off.

I don't think I'll get one though because my mom will pay for it but it won't be worth all the crap she'll give me for it, and it will be replaced by a college ring soon enough.

scem0

mnkeybsness
Jan 25, 2004, 09:01 PM
when i was in high school, the only people that got class rings were the kids who struggled and were very very lucky to graduate from high school... them and the kids who never wanted to let go of high school.

also, letter jackets were a waste of money... seriously think about when you would ever wear it after high school. i've seen a lot of people get made fun of in college for wearing their high school letter jacket around.

sure... high school is fun, but there is a time in life when you need to forget about it and move on to more mature things in life... like college! (ha... i just called college mature)

wdlove
Jan 25, 2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by scem0
I want to get one, but I keep putting it off.

I don't think I'll get one though because my mom will pay for it but it won't be worth all the crap she'll give me for it, and it will be replaced by a college ring soon enough.

scem0

That is sad to hear scem0. :( You should try having a serious discussion with your Mom. She might suprise you with her actual thoughts!

eyelikeart
Jan 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
They're fun to have your senior year, but are quite useless past that. If u are going to get one, don't go all out & buy an expensive one. If u think about it, u will only wear it around 9 months, and after high school u won't want to wear for the sake of not looking like a high school student since u will be a college student.

I stopped wearing my class ring about a month before graduation. Since then, it's sat in a drawer for 9 years. I'd have spent the money on something else in retrospect, but I wanted to be like everyone else back then. ;)

Durandal7
Jan 25, 2004, 09:30 PM
I never understood the point to them. What's the point of wearing a ring that massive and tacky unless it's a sign of Dukedom or something?

IIvan
Jan 25, 2004, 09:36 PM
Im in high school-
Its way cool to have a class ring, but I said to myself- Why do I want to spend 3 or 400 dollars on an ugly ring Im only going to wear for a year or two and might lose anyway? Its sad when people are such slaves to fashion and tradition- If you're not rich then

Save your Money

Kingsnapped
Jan 25, 2004, 09:50 PM
I didn't get one, and I don't regret it a bit. Class rings are nice for a year or two but eventually, you notice nobody wears them.

The guy from Jostens (evil school propaganda crap) came to our school to sell our graduation gear, and managed to sell "bling bling" tassles to half the class. They were six bucks, and you could only buy them with cash on the spot. He forgot to mention that the bling bling tassles were in addition to the FREE ones we get with our silly little hats.

You don't need the ring. Use that extra money for good senior pitures.

Counterfit
Jan 25, 2004, 09:52 PM
I got one, there was a choice between gold (almost $500), there was the one I got, I forget what it's called, but it looks a bit like gold, but it's stronger and a bit darker, and one that was called "White gold". We also had the choice of red or blue stones, cut or smooth. I was the only guy that got blue and smooth :confused: I don't know why, but that's what happened. But, um, if you think you've enjoyed high school so far, go for it. Otherwise, save your money and buy some RAM :p

Dippo
Jan 25, 2004, 09:55 PM
EVERYONE I know that bought a class ring stopped wearing it within a year. Some of them spent over $500+

If you goto college, it would be kinda childish to still be wearing your high school ring.

Don't waste your money.

IIvan
Jan 25, 2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah- We too had one of those evil school supported propaganda guys :mad: come and pitch these things. Its sad the school lets them come and try to make commercial business with their students- like those Coke sponsorships (You can't get a Pepsi product at our school). He was slick. Also if they try to sell you "Ultrium"- be aware- its made of some nearly free metals like Aluminum ad bronze. Their profit margins must be insane :rolleyes:

Dippo
Jan 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by IIvan
Also if they try to sell you "Ultrium"- be aware- its made of some nearly free metals like Aluminum ad bronze. Their profit margins must be insane :rolleyes:

At least our stuff was real gold and silver. No Plantinum back then though. I wonder if they have it now?

Toppa G's
Jan 25, 2004, 10:32 PM
Wow...

I bought a class ring as a sophomore in high school. I like it, it's very customized to fit me well. I'm now a junior in college and still wearing it, because I've gotten used to having a weight on my finger, mainly. I got it through Artcarved www.artcarved.com and they offer a trade-in rebate to get a college ring.

I didn't have the best experiences in high school, and I definitely didn't want to "hang on" to high school. I wouldn't say that I am not looking toward the future, either. I got a class ring because I liked it.

(I also had a letter jacket - one of like 5 out of 500 in my class - shows how popular they were at my school - warmest jacket I ever had...wore it for 3 years in high school, and never again)

revenuee
Jan 25, 2004, 10:41 PM
this is the ring i got

http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/S13.jpg

i like it ... it's different then these ugly one's that everyone else got

http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A11.jpg

with that said i only wore it graduation and the grad dinner/dance

so basically a period of 4 days

When i finish college i'll get one too ... wear to graduation and whatever events surrounding it .. .and then i'll put it in a box ...

Pismo
Jan 25, 2004, 11:10 PM
My parents wanted to buy me a high school ring but I didn't want one because I hated my school and didn't want anything to do with it once I graduated.

I won't be buying a college ring because my dad gave me his college ring (same college) and that means a lot more to me than buying a new one.

Counterfit
Jan 25, 2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by revenuee
i like it ... it's different then these ugly one's that everyone else got

http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A11.jpg OI! Mine looks kinda like that! :mad:

revenuee
Jan 25, 2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
OI! Mine looks kinda like that! :mad:

*takes foot out of mouth*

sorry

Counterfit
Jan 25, 2004, 11:52 PM
Heh, s'okay. I'll have to get a few pics of mine this weekend.

Dros
Jan 26, 2004, 12:31 AM
Where are all these class rings being bought? I've lived in the Washington DC suburbs, Midwest and West coast. I've never met anyone with a class ring at either the high school or college level!

For those of you that have bought them, I'm sure it is part of your tradition. So don't take this the wrong way, but if you came walking up to my friends waving around a big hunk on your finger we would have thought you were a Las Vegas gambler wannabe.

To me, it sounds a tradition in the making... a tradition of needing to buy what others have in order to be cool. Nip that in the bud now!

MacBandit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Dros
.......To me, it sounds a tradition in the making... a tradition of needing to buy what others have in order to be cool. Nip that in the bud now!

That's exactly how I always saw it. To be cool your senior year you need a high school ring.:rolleyes:

Why the opinions of these people and thing of being cool pretty much ends at graduation.

Spend your money on something that will make a difference after school like college or something to help you go to college or a car payment or something.

Awimoway
Jan 26, 2004, 03:55 AM
class ring = no class

krimson
Jan 26, 2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Steradian
As I am senior (in high school) I have been Mulling over the decision to buy a 2004 class ring. I have heard from many different people, all of which tend to say that while it would a good-thing to have, the ring that I should get is the one after i graduate from a university as I will most likely just loose the HS class ring. What are your thoughts and Opinions, I have already set aside some cash for it.

i lost mine 1 month before I actually graduated :(

dont bother with the HS one, if you want to get one, get the univ ring.

revenuee
Jan 26, 2004, 09:07 AM
I don't know what the hell kinda schools you went to ... but no body at my school got a ring because it was the cool thing to do. No one saw the ring as any type of status symbol -- just something to remember school by .... none of my friends wore them anywhere but graduation events.

plus i got my parents to get me it, so i wasn't blowing my own money.

virividox
Jan 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
waste of money, i mean really high school isnt that big of a deal.

jelloshotsrule
Jan 26, 2004, 10:01 AM
what a waste of money

who wants to pay 100+ to remember high school

gwuMACaddict
Jan 26, 2004, 11:27 AM
plus i got my parents to get me it, so i wasn't blowing my own money.

just blowin their's, eh?

hehe- just teasin... but thats what you made it sound like :D

agreenster
Jan 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
I wore mine for about 3 weeks and then put it in a drawer. Been there ever since.

I barely remember high school anyway and its only been 5 years. Couldnt care less.

Grimace
Jan 26, 2004, 01:58 PM
buy it if you're done with school.
buy a college ring if you want to go on.

FriarTuck
Jan 26, 2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with the sentiment that you're much better off with pictures and other mementos. My HS ring is packed in a box stored in my basement. No college ring. My parents were proud of my educ achievements and got me a grad school ring, but that one just sits in a drawer too (it means more to me because my parents were proud of me than anything having to do with the school itself).

I recommend you take the money and get together with your friends and make yourselves the greatest do-it-yourself yearbooks in history using the "make a book" feature in iPhoto.

iJon
Jan 26, 2004, 03:24 PM
yeah i thought about it for a sec. i just find it completly dorky to walk around with big fat ring that says class of 2004 on it. only ring that will ever on my finge will be my bling bling wedding band.

iJon

revenuee
Jan 26, 2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
just blowin their's, eh?

hehe- just teasin... but thats what you made it sound like :D

thats exactly what i wanted it to sound like :D

jefhatfield
Jan 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
class ring = no class

that is exactly what dress for success tends to say

people who are of lower middle and lower class tend to like big, gaudy rings and jewelry in general and the poorest of college graduates with the least amount of taste get a college ring...but it's been noted that minorities, especially blacks and hispanics, like class rings even if they are higher on the socio ecomomic ladder than lower or lower middle class minorities

it's kind of a snobbishness to hate class rings because they are worn by poor people and minorities

so being a minority, but from an upper middle class background, i wanted to tell that person who wrote dress for success to stick his bigotries in his ear...it's a racist and elitist book anyway and pokes fun at minorities and poor whites

two years after graduating from college, i got the gaudiest design possible for a college class ring, which tends to be more subdued than the baroque high school class rings and to this day, i wear it everyday...in my middle and upper middle class neighborhood, i rarely see a class ring, but when i go to the target or albertson's in the poor section of my county which is populated by minorities and poor whites, then i see a lot of class rings, shady and ecko wear, and mullets ;)

i did get a high school class ring a year later and it cost me extra since i had graduated high school a long time ago, and when i went kayaking on the bay, i lost it

i have a very neat and professional life, and sometimes it's just too much of a drag to have to wear the classiest clothes and always have to act in a proper way, so i have my ugly, gaudy class ring as a way to hang loose and not take being properly dressed too seriously...i guess it's my rebel statement to proper wear and yuppiedom...i think it gives me indivuduality

i have a black friend who is an ivy league graduate and rubs shoulders with the powerful, but as a rebel statement he wears a run dmc style dog chain with his "white man" italian suit and while it stands out, it identifies him from the ghetto he grew up in and tells people, while he may be smart and educated, he is nobody's slave to yuppie conformity

Steradian
Jan 26, 2004, 08:26 PM
Interesting opinions from all, however i must say that I agree with the majority of the people here and will not be getting a ring. The iPhoto book is a great idea, I just need to get the pics off my friends website :-P. thanks to all that responded! :)

revenuee
Jan 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Steradian
Interesting opinions from all, however i must say that I agree with the majority of the people here and will not be getting a ring. The iPhoto book is a great idea, I just need to get the pics off my friends website :-P. thanks to all that responded! :)

I think essentially it comes down to what is best for you ... if having a class ring doesn't make you nostalgic then there is not point in having it ...

i don't wear mine ... but when i look at it i remember the good times i had with my friends ...

jefhatfield
Jan 27, 2004, 12:00 AM
I think essentially it comes down to what is best for you ... if having a class ring doesn't make you nostalgic then there is not point in having it ...

i don't wear mine ... but when i look at it i remember the good times i had with my friends ...

the first american class rings were from graduates at west point in an era when it was common for rich kids to go there as if it were the same as going to a top college and getting a job at wall street

in the old days, officer pay was decent and not like today where the best paying jobs are in the civilian sector

while military officers have not largely come from the upper class in the usa for many decades now, some countries like japan as recent as world war II still had their rich and educated thrive as an officer in the armed forces

it's funny how time changes perceptions on clothing and jewelry...i do agree that class rings looks so ghetto today, but sometimes styles come from the ghetto and make it into mainstream society without society on the whole knowing where it came from

yamabushi
Jan 27, 2004, 06:37 AM
If I were an ivy league college grad I would want a ring to prove it.:)

jefhatfield
Jan 27, 2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi

but of the over 1400 accredited colleges out there, grads from these 8 schools (harvard, yale, columbia, princeton, cornell, dartmouth, brown, and university of pennsylvania) are the most likely to come from upper middle class and rich backgrounds and have the most access to the subdued styles of the american brahmin that dress for success tends to promote...and thus things like class rings, mullets, garrish gold bracelets and chains are not likely attire everyday

one thing i have noticed, however, among some rich kids, is a slumming hippie style/fashion which i have noticed...ie) many fans of the grateful dead and phish

when my wife came out to the west coast, she noticed a lot of the hippies who hang out downtown near the university of california, santa cruz (not a private school, but full of a lot of rich kids anyway) are rich college students who like to wear raggety hippy clothes and even go so far as to not bathing to authenticate their look

she noticed how well spoken many of these hippy students were and noticed they sounded very similar to the rich kids she used to see come from the wealthy hamptons in new york

...but outside of a few small examples like that, rich college kids, especially from the elite schools, are not likely going to be seen with a gaudy ring which suits a rap artist

...that being said, i love my class ring/run dmc gangsta looking ring and when my best friend, who hates that ring and rap, makes a comment, i strike a pose like some rapper...i got that down like a salute :)

...i also got an ecko wear hat, not knowing its connections to rap, and i wear that all the time and now when i watch the tube, i see fifty cent and others with the gear sporting the rhino logo

...now i just need to get some extra wide cargo pants, some bling bling chains for my neck, and then i will have the full package...but being 40 and asian american in an area that is 95 percent white would be a sight to behold:p

MacBandit
Jan 27, 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi

I think the diploma would be much better proof. Anyone can buy a college ring.

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
...now i just need to get some extra wide cargo pants, some bling bling chains for my neck, and then i will have the full package... Don't forget having platinum implanted in your teeth!

jefhatfield
Jan 27, 2004, 10:29 PM
Don't forget having platinum implanted in your teeth!

wtf, you mean gold is not good enough, now??

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:37 PM
Hasn't been for a while now. Man, you really show your age :p

jefhatfield
Jan 27, 2004, 11:17 PM
Hasn't been for a while now. Man, you really show your age :p

hey in the generation before me, it was wooden teeth

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2004, 07:26 AM
:D :p

Xtreme&Beyond
Mar 24, 2004, 09:13 PM
I got a highschool ring and I were all the time because I brought it to remeber highschool and all the friends I have made and stuff that the only reson people buy class rings for why would u waste 100+ to buy a ring if u don't wear it all the time and here is a pic of my ring which is the F12 the Reprise from the Voice Collection and the rest are the ones I wanted but couldn't get because I only had money for one and they are F11 Chronicle also from the Voice Collection H29 the Morgan from the Heritage Collection H33 Lexington also from the Heritage Collection A29 St. Lves from the Achiever Collection and the last one is A33 Vanguard also from the Achiever Collection
Peace out!!!!
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/F11.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/F12.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/H29.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/H33.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A25.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A39.jpg

Steradian
Mar 24, 2004, 09:47 PM
I got a highschool ring and I were all the time because I brought it to remeber highschool and all the friends I have made and stuff that the only reson people buy class rings for why would u waste 100+ to buy a ring if u don't wear it all the time and here is a pic of my ring which is the F12 the Reprise from the Voice Collection and the rest are the ones I wanted but couldn't get because I only had money for one and they are F11 Chronicle also from the Voice Collection H29 the Morgan from the Heritage Collection H33 Lexington also from the Heritage Collection A29 St. Lves from the Achiever Collection and the last one is A33 Vanguard also from the Achiever Collection
Peace out!!!!
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/F11.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/F12.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/H29.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/H33.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A25.jpg
http://shop.jostens.com/images/PRODUCT/300/A39.jpg

and here I thought my thread was dead...

Awimoway
Mar 24, 2004, 10:32 PM
and here I thought my thread was dead...

What's really bizarre is what would possess someone to search for a thread like this on a MAC site. "I want to talk class rings. I know, I bet those Mac rumor-mongers will have a healthy discussion on the subject..." :confused:

Daveman Deluxe
Mar 24, 2004, 11:52 PM
I didn't get a class ring. I spend a considerable amount of time trying to forget high school.

Fortunately, I love college. :D

Mudbug
Mar 25, 2004, 12:06 AM
There are some interesting responses in this thread -

I've got a High School class ring, but not really by choice. I went to Little Rock Catholic High School for Boys, and all the senior class rings were identical. They have been for the past umteen billions years or so, and it's mandatory (or was then) that you purchase it. The stone is not precious, and the metal is some sort of alloy. Anyways, the point is that the ring is more memorable to me for it being a piece of the whole, and not just some chunk of gold or silver I plunked too much money down on.

What's interesting is that a few of the guys in my senior class were/are children of former students, and they were allowed (and encouraged) to use their father's class ring. The only difference at all is that for the rings prior to 1970, the metal was gold, instead of a silver finish. But all the stones are blue.

And for those wondering, we had a sister school that was all girls, with whom we did dances & normal coed school stuff. They provided the cheerleaders for our football team (which was really good when I was a student) and participated in other things like school plays and such.

wdlove
Mar 25, 2004, 08:43 PM
I bought a high school class ring, but lost the ring. Never purchased a ring in college. My most important ring is my wedding band.