Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am encoding dvds ripped with MTR with apple tv preset and 2 pass encoding using Handbrake 0.9.2 on Leopard. It seems to go through all the process fine but then at the very last second (99.9% complete) handbrake just quits and I get the application quit unexpectedly message.
This only happens on some files but is very annoying if I put a 7 episode tv show rip on over night and it quits on the second episode!
Has anyone else had this problem/ got a solution to this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
JAWWC

shevans

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Herts, UK
I had this issue, I used Appzapper to remove the copy of Handbrake, downloaded and reinstalled the same version and it works ok now. I do however "handbrake" from pre-ripped DVD's and not directly from disc.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If you're adventurous, try the new Developer Snapshot #3 (available on the Handbrake forums); the program became much more stable after the .9.2 release, and now has a queue that will save unfinished items in the event HB closes before they are complete.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
If you're adventurous, try the new Developer Snapshot #3 (available on the Handbrake forums); the program became much more stable after the .9.2 release, and now has a queue that will save unfinished items in the event HB closes before they are complete.

Just got this at on my lunch break and set off disc 1 of my name is earl season 2 I ripped with MTR. I'll see what that's done when I get home!

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
What are your average times for ripping a movie with HB?

I have been ripping my dvds (the few i have) to my itunes in preparation for a new tv in december. It takes about a hour and a half on my macbook.

Is there a quicker way? Its painfully slow.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
What are your average times for ripping a movie with HB?

I have been ripping my dvds (the few i have) to my itunes in preparation for a new tv in december. It takes about a hour and a half on my macbook.

Is there a quicker way? Its painfully slow.

My average time is about 2-3 hours with 2-pass on. It is a slow precess. My Mini gets very little rest from encoding.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.