Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4now

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
My aperture library resides on a 1TB external drive- which has become full.

How do I create a second library - to begin on another 1TB external.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Quite simple:
(1) Launch Aperture. Open the prefs and change the location of your library. Choose the folder you want your Library to be in. Don't worry, you don't actually need to choose a library file, it sufficient if you choose folder. Aperture will create one if necessary.
(2) Relaunch Aperture.

Once you have created both Libraries, you can open either one by double-clicking them. You could put the two library files into the Dock for easier access. You can also rename them, if you want.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You can make a second library but maybe it's time to think about RAID. Buy multiple 1TB drives and an enclosure for them all and then you will have a larger "disk" that will survive the failure of one of the physical drives

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006

Are you actually adding the photos to the library or are you referencing them? If the former, I would think about doing the latter so that the size of the library itself is much smaller and could be moved from drive to drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.