PDA

View Full Version : iBook Log On Screen Issue

ChasJr
Oct 3, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have come into possession of an iBook. I am not sure of the Type other than it has a 12.1" screen. My issue is that is starts up like normal, gets to the OS X screen and the box to place user ID information is all white and I am unable to put any information into the required fields. When I "mouse" over the user ID field which is whited out and press the mouse key, the spinning wheel appears and spins forever with no change.

I have mated this iBook with my MBP and can see it, the HDD and files via Firewire. I also ran a disk repair and it states no issues found.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

chipchen
Oct 4, 2008, 04:22 AM
could just be the system software got corrupted and needs a new install. do you have any install discs around? boot from that.

I'm assuming you don't care about the data on it and just want it to work? just reinstall the OS and you're good to go.

ChasJr
Oct 6, 2008, 07:45 AM
After I posted, I thought of that, and found some disks. The iBook will not boot to CD, it keeps ejecting the disk. I can also not go into safe mode at all.

As I said earlier, i can see it from my Mac Pro via Firewire, do you think there is corruption in a specific file that can be replaced via that route or I should be able to "image" it via the Firewire route as well right, kinda like a remote install.

Thank you again for assistance.

Skeletal-dæmon
Oct 6, 2008, 07:52 AM
Sounds like a bad boot sector or some corrupted data files, however the machine should not reject a boot from CD as you have described. This would suggest that the disc you are using may also be damaged, which is unfortunate. If you can, try to find somebody who may have another recovery disc.

On that note... you are (trying to) booting from disc 1 aren't you? You usually cannot boot from disc 2. If you do manage to get the iBook to boot from disc, I'd run the Apple Hardware Test before running the computer.

However before you do any of the above, attempt to reset the iBook's PRAM (I am aware this command has changed but on Intel machine it is done by holding command+option+p+r on boot) and see how that plays out.

Good luck.

ChasJr
Oct 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hey Skeletal - daemon,

Thank you for the tips. I made sure it was disk 1, tried the reset pram to no avail. Of course booting in Target Disk Mode, I can see the iBook on my Pro and can run Disk Repair with no issues. It says disk is in good shape, etc. Also, single user mode shows that the PRAM was reset and I can run fsck -fy switch, exit and reboot still brings me to the GUI screen with OS X and can not enter any credentials. Kinda driving me a little crazy, never seen this before on a MAC. Thanks for your help, appreciate it!!

Skeletal-dæmon
Oct 7, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hmm its odd that it didn't take any effect.

I've been having a think and if I'm right, just like on OS 9, the login system is its own application. The whiteout accompanied with the beach ball could suggest that the login app is hanging, and the repeat incident points to, at risk of repeating myself, bad data.

However I'm still foxed by the iBook point blank refusing a restore CD. I've heard of and experienced machines that will eat a CD and refuse to acknowledge its existence even when you press F12 or eject during boot, but never spit a CD back out without even trying.

It might be worth finding an Apple genius. They're free if you corner them leaving for home or having a tea/smoke break. ...Not that my main tactics for getting issues resolved involves skulking round the staff entrance all day... :D

Once again good luck in getting this sorted mate!