Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Looking at buying a new 24" iMac. Need input;

1. I will just be using it for home family use. Lots of streaming music, CD ripping (I rip to MP3 first then add to iTunes, so I am using twice the space), iTunes, iPods. Kids will be using it for school work; power point (or macs version) and internet. Maybe getting into DVDs and TV. The question is, is it worth the $400 upgrade for me to go to there 3.06GHz upgrade. They don't seem to give you any kind of price break for this upgrade bundle.

2. I am burning my CD collection and have already fried one CD burner in my old computer. Do I need to add on an external burner to burn the rest of my CDs (about 800 left plus future) so I don't ruin the onboard burner? Any brand suggestions?

3. When buying on-line, when you add in i-works, it says it is pre-installed. Do they give you the disc as well? Or should I need to buy the software seperate so I could recieve the disc if I would ever need to re-install it?

4. Any input to the rumor about a possible price break after Oct. 14th?

Thanks for the help.

Desamell

Aug 24, 2008
Looking at buying a new 24" iMac. Need input;

1. I will just be using it for home family use. Lots of streaming music, CD ripping (I rip to MP3 first then add to iTunes, so I am using twice the space), iTunes, iPods. Kids will be using it for school work; power point (or macs version) and internet. Maybe getting into DVDs and TV. The question is, is it worth the $400 upgrade for me to go to there 3.06GHz upgrade. They don't seem to give you any kind of price break for this upgrade bundle.

2. I am burning my CD collection and have already fried one CD burner in my old computer. Do I need to add on an external burner to burn the rest of my CDs (about 800 left plus future) so I don't ruin the onboard burner? Any brand suggestions?

3. When buying on-line, when you addd in i-works it says it is pre-installed. Do they give you the disc as well. Or do I need to buy the software seperate?

3. Any impute to the rumor about a possible price break after Oct. 14th?

Thanks for the help.

Why dont you just put your songs on an external hard drive and put them on your iMac when you get it?

rsparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Why dont you just put your songs on an external hard drive and put them on your iMac when you get it?

I am planning on doing that. I have spent too much time burnung what I have already. I have about 800 more to go in my collection, but I am waiting for the new computer to finish burning.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
1. "I rip to MP3 first then add to iTunes, so I am using twice the space" - Why?

3. I don't know, but as you pay for it already, why should you twice?

4. No impute:
impute |imˈpyoōt|
verb [ trans. ]
represent (something, esp. something undesirable) as being done, caused, or possessed by someone; attribute : the crimes imputed to Richard.
• Finance assign (a value) to something by inference from the value of the products or processes to which it contributes : [as adj. ] ( imputed) recovering the initial outlay plus imputed interest.
• Theology ascribe (righteousness, guilt, etc.) to someone by virtue of a similar quality in another : Christ's righteousness has been imputed to us.

But since we don't know of any update coming, we don't know now.
The 14th October is rumored for an update to the portable line of Apple
The iMac is thought to be refreshed before christmas though.
And then the older models, if still on stock, will be cheaper.

You can always go to the refurbished models. But be early (at the start of the day): Apple Store - Refurbished Models

PS: I don't think you need the top of the line model for what you are wanna do. The 2.8 GHz model will suffice.

My iMac 2 GHz will rip and convert a CD to MP3 (256kbps) in about ten minutes.

Desamell

Aug 24, 2008
I do planning on doing that. I have spent too much time burnung what I have already. I have about 800 more to go in my collection, but I am waiting for the new computer to finish burning.

How much money do you spend on CD's?

rsparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
1. "I rip to MP3 first then add to iTunes, so I am using twice the space" - Why?

3. I don't know, but as you pay for it already, why should you twice?

4. No impute:
impute |imˈpyoōt|
verb [ trans. ]
represent (something, esp. something undesirable) as being done, caused, or possessed by someone; attribute : the crimes imputed to Richard.
• Finance assign (a value) to something by inference from the value of the products or processes to which it contributes : [as adj. ] ( imputed) recovering the initial outlay plus imputed interest.
• Theology ascribe (righteousness, guilt, etc.) to someone by virtue of a similar quality in another : Christ's righteousness has been imputed to us.

But since we don't know of any update coming, we don't know now.
The 14th October is rumored for an update to the portable line of Apple
The iMac is thought to be refreshed before christmas though.
And then the older models, if still on stock, will be cheaper.

You can always go to the refurbished models. But be early (at the start of the day): Apple Store - Refurbished Models

PS: I don't think you need the top of the line model for what you are wanna do. The 2.8 GHz model will suffice.

My iMac 2 GHz will rip and convert a CD to MP3 (256kbps) in about ten minutes.

1. A lot of different reasons. But, having in MP3 format they can be used in all player not just the Apple products. In a few years I don't want to have to change formats.

3. It is the same price. I don't know if I get hte disc when they say preinstalled.

4. Sorry to all of the English teachers out there. Impute means Input for the original thread.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I rip to MP3 first then add to iTunes, so I am using twice the space

You can tell iTunes not to make copies of the music you import. Just disable it in the preferences:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 51

rsparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
You can tell iTunes not to make copies of the music you import. Just disable it in the preferences:

Thanks.

I am not worried about the space for my MP3s though, by the time I am done I will still have plenty of space. I am just trying to determine if the 24" iMac upgrade is worth the money or for what I do it won't make a difference. The MP3 thing is just my personal preference, I know how fast technoligy changes and if I ever go with something defierent from an Apple product I don't want to re-rip everything I have. MP3s are still the most popular format and with the way I rip it I get the same (if not better) quality than the iTunes MP4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.