Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hi there,

I'm going to be receiving my Neo soon, and I know that some people have reported that the Neo installation is at times a bit difficult to get it right.

Does anybody have some good tips on how to avoid ripping the silicone "condom", and to get the silicone to completely cover the bezel.

snverhallen

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Just go into it knowing that it isn't as simple as just sliding the phone in and you'll be good to go. I just took my time and got the silicon piece how I wanted it and then put the plastic one, start with the button sides first (left and top).

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Just go into it knowing that it isn't as simple as just sliding the phone in and you'll be good to go. I just took my time and got the silicon piece how I wanted it and then put the plastic one, start with the button sides first (left and top).

Did you manage to get all the silicone covered? Or is that pretty much impossible, because from the videos I've seen of the Neo, it seems like it just doesn't stretch out that far; but perhaps they were just bad installations.

snverhallen

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
It depends on what you mean by all covered, if you mean did I get the silicon piece all the way up over the chrome bezel that that is no, and you don't want to If the silicon piece went completely over the bezel then when you got the plastic pieces on there would be pretty much no way to guarantee that you wouldn't have any silicon poking out from underneath it. It is cut a little smaller to prevent this problem.

Heimlich

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
ya like what he said. Install it at a time when you're completely free, so you dont get frustrated. Alot of people think it should take only a minute but pretend its gonna take at least 15 minutes.
Well the silicon part is the most important. To make it even all over the place, massage it around the back.
Uh... for the H frame, button side first. For the i frame, top part first.
BIG TIP: for the i-frame, don't over-stretch it when you put it around the bottom, thats gonna contribute to it being loose. Mine is not loose.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I was reading another forum is this is a tip that I received. I actaully think it might be a a very good idea, what do you guys think? Would this work OK?

My friend just got his neo this morning. The silicon is a VERY tight fit. It is snug, but putting it on is a mission in itself. Here's what his sister suggested.

Take a Hair dryer, and on med/hot heat the silicon up (keeping the hair drying always moving, and about a good 10inches away from the case...use your judgment) Do this with just the silicon only, not while you have the case on the phone trying to get it perfectly on for obvious reasons.

This will warm the silicon just a tad so that it will go around the chrome edges with ease without tearing. After its on and your happy, put the hair dryer on COLD so the case will return to its original very tight state around the phone. Take your time and dont hold the dryer to close to the case you just wana warm it not melt/ or cause it to harden.

Once complete you can assemble the rest.

snverhallen

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I was reading another forum is this is a tip that I received. I actaully think it might be a a very good idea, what do you guys think? Would this work OK?

snverhallen

Hmm I haven't tried that kind of procedure, I just took my time, like others said gently massage the back part of the silicon so it will be spread and right now it's neatly spread (equally) to all my chrome bezel (all four sides) so I think it's just a matter of how you put it.

The tip that I could give you is when you put on the H- frame, place it on the left side first (with volume button) then make sure that silicon covers the chrome bezel, once set, gently massage the silicon to the right so it will cover the right side. Once it is covered, gently put the other side of the H-frame and make sure you put it gently so the silicon will not be torn (yes this is the hard part lol) Once you've aligned everything, it should look all white on the edges of your phone, no silver (chrome bezel) showing :)

dongadrew

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
I got mind yesterday and the installation was kinda pain in the ass, all I gotta say is just take your time and not rush into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.