Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
So nVidia integrated or nVidia dedicated?

Either would be a huge improvement, though of course I totally prefer dedicated.

Desamell

Aug 24, 2008

Either would be a huge improvement, though of course I totally prefer dedicated.

If dedicated I think they will put a 128MB Dedicated in there i expect nothing more...:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008

Yes, i agree, but think about this, they still have to keep the MBP ahead of the Macbook. So, when they say that they will add chipsets to the MB, i think it will be the integrated "Discreet" graphics. Doubtless, it's still a MASSIVE upgrade to the power of such a machine! - and graphics are the only thing keeping me away from a Macbook... and there is no way i can afford a macbook pro.

Still, another reason they will be discreet is the fact that the macbook has a 1 inch form factor, and with only a 13" scren, and body size, there's not much space there for a full out dedicated card... and then there's the cooling issue... how will they cool it? - i mean look at it this way, if rumors are true, then the intel IGP X3100 generates a LOT of heat... more than an 8400m GS. but, if they used a 9000 series card/chipset, we would run into some serious problems with the heating!

i think we will see something along the lines of an 8400 to an 8600 card/chipset (the 8600 is one of the coolest running chipset from Nvidia - and is decently energy efficient).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
An Nvidia IGP isn't an 8 or 9 series but it's a hell of a lot better than the GMA. Plus the OS X drives for the GMA are crap.

I doubt this hurts MBP much.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
An Nvidia IGP isn't an 8 or 9 series but it's a hell of a lot better than the GMA. Plus the OS X drives for the GMA are crap.

I doubt this hurts MBP much.
The nVidia MCP79 IGP is something along the lines of an 8400M on the chipset.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

It doesn't necessarily have to be a decision to be one of the other.

Sony VAIO Z Series has hybrid graphics, which means you can choose integrated when you want the battery life and dedicated when you want the performance.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
The nVidia MCP79 IGP is something along the lines of an 8400M on the chipset.

Oh? Well then, what the heck is going to make people buy a MBP now? Does this mean we finally get a highend card in the Pro?

I think screen size can only account for so much. Unless they're going to the IGP in the Pro to make it THINNER.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Oh? Well then, what the heck is going to make people buy a MBP now? Does this mean we finally get a highend card in the Pro?

Unless the MacBook Pro get an high-end video card, then expect the MacBook Pro to be cannibalised by the MacBook. :D

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Unless the MacBook Pro get an high-end video card, then expect the MacBook Pro to be cannibalised by the MacBook. :D

And I for one, would love to see the MBP sales cannibalized. The MBP is a MB with a larger screen and a dedicated GPU. And yet it costs $1000 extra just for those two simple things! :rolleyes:

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland

I think screen size can only account for so much. Unless they're going to the IGP in the Pro to make it THINNER.

Maybe they're ;). I'd say hybrid solution would be better for MBP (to get more battery life if that's what you need at the moment). Also there's a small issue of integrated graphics sharing system's RAM, meaning not only less RAM for both, but also slower access.

Yes, i agree, but think about this, they still have to keep the MBP ahead of the Macbook. So, when they say that they will add chipsets to the MB, i think it will be the integrated "Discreet" graphics. Doubtless, it's still a MASSIVE upgrade to the power of such a machine! - and graphics are the only thing keeping me away from a Macbook... and there is no way i can afford a macbook pro.

Still, another reason they will be discreet is the fact that the macbook has a 1 inch form factor, and with only a 13" scren, and body size, there's not much space there for a full out dedicated card... and then there's the cooling issue... how will they cool it? - i mean look at it this way, if rumors are true, then the intel IGP X3100 generates a LOT of heat... more than an 8400m GS. but, if they used a 9000 series card/chipset, we would run into some serious problems with the heating!

Isn't 'discrete' another term for dedicated graphics?

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
The MBP is a MB with a larger screen and a dedicated GPU.

Agreed.
Seriously, who is going to buy an MacBook Pro now that the MacBook would have dedicated video card and would be aluminium also? The MacBook Pro would be a crime unless they lower the price of the MacBook Pros.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The loss of money from people buying Macbooks over Macbook Pro's would easily be recouped, remember the Macbook outsells the Macbook Pro 10/1.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Agreed.
Seriously, who is going to buy an MacBook Pro now that the MacBook would have dedicated video card and would be aluminium also? The MacBook Pro would be a crime unless they lower the price of the MacBook Pros.

Agreed. That's why I'd like to see a 12", 15", and 17" series of aluminum Macbooks, that are available online with custom BTO options, as well as standard models that are in stores. The "Pro" means a larger screen and dedicated graphics, and that doesn't seem very "Pro" to me. The "Pro" line should be dropped.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Also, has anyone though about how much better the MB's would be if they were just 0.3 inches thicker, like the iBook G4's? Those had dedicated graphics, and good at that. And they didn't get hot like the Macbooks do.

I think Apple made a big mistake when they went to "thinner". They made it hotter, with less specs, all for a little "thinness".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.