PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates wannabe "The Good Guy" by "charging" spammers...

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2004, 09:08 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Bill Gates wannabe "The Good Guy" by "charging" spammers. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040126100858)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Qunchuy
Jan 26, 2004, 09:22 AM
But ultimately, Mr Gates predicted, spam would be killed through the electronic equivalent of a stamp, also known as "payment at risk".

This would force the sender of an e-mail to pay up when an e-mail was rejected as spam, but would not deter senders of real e-mail because they could be confident that their mail would be accepted.

Yeah, right. It's a great idea, but how would this be enforced? The internet email protocols used today can't do it. It would take an entirely rebuilt email infrastructure to make it happen, and even then, forged identities will always be possible.

1macker1
Jan 26, 2004, 09:54 AM
This is a good idea. I'm all for it.
]

shamino
Jan 26, 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Qunchuy
Yeah, right. It's a great idea, but how would this be enforced? The internet email protocols used today can't do it. It would take an entirely rebuilt email infrastructure to make it happen, and even then, forged identities will always be possible.
I think that's the idea. Microsoft wants the internet to completely throw away SMTP and replace it with a brand new protocol that Microsoft is in total control of.

This will force all those Linux people to switch to Windows (yeah, right :rolleyes: ), which is what Gates really wants.

isus
Jan 26, 2004, 12:11 PM
i'll believe it when i see it.

until then... mail.app's junk filters have never failed me.

MacBandit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:24 PM
So Microsoft will help eliminate spam. I think it would do better to take a look at its self and fix it's huge gaping security holes in Winblows.

Sabenth
Jan 26, 2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by isus
i'll believe it when i see it.

until then... mail.app's junk filters have never failed me.

agreed only had one slip up and that was my fault but sorted it now