PDA

View Full Version : Which Format Will Win?

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2004, 09:16 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Which Format Will Win? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040126101623)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

1macker1
Jan 26, 2004, 09:53 AM
The winner will be the MP3 format. It's the only one that plays on pretty much everything. Yeah the other 2 are superior, but the don't play in everything. So the Mp3 format will win by default.

CMYanko
Jan 26, 2004, 09:54 AM
It's nice to see the big media companies starting the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) campaign. They totally miss the point as to who is using 'open' technologies and who isn't.

SilvorX
Jan 26, 2004, 10:04 AM
99% of all the songs on my friends' computers are mp3s, I've used WMA b4 and ended up deleting them and re-ripping a CD to mp3 format since I didn't like the quality. AAC will end up being the standard (hopefully) for legal music, while mp3 will be around for years to come

mrsebastian
Jan 26, 2004, 12:02 PM
much agreed that mp3 is and will be the format of music for a while. it's like any format war like vhs/beta, etc., in the end it comes down to what's easiest and cheapest for the customer use. right now that's apple, because of ipod, itunes, and itms integration, but we'll see who get's the market share in the long run (go apple go ;) ).

nagromme
Jan 26, 2004, 05:33 PM
The article is about competing formats for music stores. MP3 won't win. No major music store uses it.

MP4/AAC on the other hand, has pretty much already won. Apple/iTunes/iPod/AOL/HP/Compaq/Pepsi = pretty tough to stop.

BTW, the article says that removing DRM requires burning a CD then going through a painful process of converting to WAV and then MP3, giving up the size/quality benefits of newer formats like AAC.

Not true. iTunes can rip DIRECTLY from CD, without going to WAV, on both PC and Mac. AND it can rip right to AAC/MP4 with no copy protection. In fact, that's the default for ripping.

I guess they never used the most popular music store in making that assessment :)

The process IS still annoying--but consider this: most people will want to burn a CD anyway, to play other places, so that leaves only the ripping step. One click in iTunes, and fast. Not ideal, and there is double-compression happening (unless you choose uncompressed ripping--which iTunes will do)--but not at all bad. Considering it's a non issue unless a) Apple vanishes and nobody buys them or b) you like portable players but don't like iPods :)

Sabenth
Jan 26, 2004, 07:15 PM
Who the hell writes this dribble. dose anyone actualy test use and abuse these stores. what ive heard so far is iTunes is by far the better store for ease of use. AAC Format seems better from my point of view. But i still use Mp3. :) Think i always will ... Wma just dosnt work for me its got a tacky sound to it

MrMacMan
Jan 26, 2004, 08:08 PM
Of coarse no mention which is better quality... since it hasn't panned out in the past...

BETAMAX FOREVER!!

Better Quality then VHS!

IT PWNS YOU@

:D