Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

printf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
i have several 3rd party libraries, such as libjpeg, libtiff, zlib and others that I need to build and then reference in my carbon project.

i guess my first question is, what are my options for building these libraries? in my windows project, i chose to set them up as static libs as opposed to dynamic. would a 'framework' xcode project be what i'm wanting? so far from my googling, the only relevant examples used the console for building the libraries instead of xcode.

any links to documentation, tutorials, source code would be greatly appreciated!

printf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
ok, after a few hours of trial and error (and randomly noticing a static lib option in projects) i finally got one library built, referenced and up and running.

an interesting problem i had that i spent most of my time with with was a 'zerolink' runtime error that mentioned an unknown symbol related to the newly created library. i googled and found a blog that said to switch to release mode to circumvent the zerolink error, and when i did, found several other errors in my app that again, were not related to the new lib or any code referencing it. i fixed those and everything worked.

idelovski

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
I had to build a static library for one of my Carbon projects.

NewProject->Static Library->Carbon Static Library. Why did you have any trouble with that?

In my main project in Groups & Files I clicked on the first icon that represents the project, then under Get Info I turned off ZeroLink.

Unfortunately, then you need to turn it off again for the target - disclose the first target under Targets, Get Info for it and turn off ZerLink again. Some versions even have command 'Allow ZeroLink' in the Build Menu. Uncheck it too if necessary.

This is for Xcode 2.x under Tiger. I think 3.x has ZeroLink turned off by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.