Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find it right now...

What's the best way to transfer music/movies to my iPod Classic, then delete the files on my computer/iTunes WITHOUT it being deleted from my iPod the next time I sync? The best solution I've found so far is to use "manually manage iPod" BUT it seems like a pretty big hassle to transfer songs to iTunes, then to iPod, then delete from iTunes...is there a simpler way to just transfer files to my iPod and delete the old files?

Thanks!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You would need to delete them from your disk but leave then listed in iTunes. They won't play in iTunes anymore since you deleted the actual files.

I would not delete them from your computer because if you don't have a backup of your music and videos, they are gone if your iPod crashes or gets lost or stolen.

powz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify, what you've described is the easiest way...but if I've already deleted the reference to the files from iTunes, that's fine too (i.e. they won't suddenly disappear from the iPod)? So far they haven't disappeared when I deleted both the original files and the reference to the files from iTunes but I thought I should ask just to be safe...

Also, I agree it's a good idea to have a backup...but this is actually my mom's iPod and her computer's HD is about 1/3 the size of the iPod's HD...so it's impossible to back everything up (without buying another HD).

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
As long as you keep the iPod set on manual mode you should be fine. Remember though, if you should ever forget and set the iPod to automatic sync, the music and videos will be gone from your iPod without warning.

I don't recommend removing the links to the files from iTunes ever.

powz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Hmm...so your method only works for manual mode as well, right?

Thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.