Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazinger-Z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I'm in a quandary as to what type of iPod to buy... At first I just looked at the nano and the classic, but... My old iPod was a 40 GB classic and that suited me fine, more than fine...

* I have no real need for 120 GB of space.
* I need more than 8 GB of space.
* I'm partial to the 16 GB nano, but feel like I'm being cheated at just 50 bucks cheaper than the classic. Yes, I'm aware one is a small HD and the other is flash memory.

* The iPhone seems like the best deal, but I'm on the fence about the AT&T sign up... I don't really need a new mobile phone.
* The iPod Touch seems like a good alternative, but it's a (shockingly) more expensive iPhone without the phone service... and has, TMK, issues authenticating to certain wifi networks (specifically regarding WPAE and WPA2E encryption...)

I've been thrashing on my own internal arguments for days, plus getting odd looks from the people at the Apple Store as I fight myself over what to get... So anyone willing to advise here?

Jonnyfive

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
British Columbia
I see the iphone as the ultimate ipod. Personally I would get the iphone over the ipod touch.

I would probably go with the classic over the 16gb nano.

maybe that helps a little.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I love both of my iPods and use them both often.

I can't imagine paying for the AT&T iPhone contracts. Way too much money there. At least once you buy the iPod Touch, you're done with costs (except however much you spend on iTunes, which, in my case, is a lot).

What do you plan on using the iPod for? I take my video to the gym, even though I know I probably should be taking my Touch (since it's flash memory), my Touch just feels to delicate for the gym.

WillClarke

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
England
ITouch

Just bought my son the itouch so at home we have a 6GB old Ipod, a 80GB ipod classic and now th eitough 16gb.
if you doint need a mobile phone then the itouch is awsome
Will

I'm in a quandary as to what type of iPod to buy... At first I just looked at the nano and the classic, but... My old iPod was a 40 GB classic and that suited me fine, more than fine...

* I have no real need for 120 GB of space.
* I need more than 8 GB of space.
* I'm partial to the 16 GB nano, but feel like I'm being cheated at just 50 bucks cheaper than the classic. Yes, I'm aware one is a small HD and the other is flash memory.

* The iPhone seems like the best deal, but I'm on the fence about the AT&T sign up... I don't really need a new mobile phone.
* The iPod Touch seems like a good alternative, but it's a (shockingly) more expensive iPhone without the phone service... and has, TMK, issues authenticating to certain wifi networks (specifically regarding WPAE and WPA2E encryption...)

I've been thrashing on my own internal arguments for days, plus getting odd looks from the people at the Apple Store as I fight myself over what to get... So anyone willing to advise here?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just bought my son the itouch so at home we have a 6GB old Ipod, a 80GB ipod classic and now th eitough 16gb.
if you doint need a mobile phone then the itouch is awsome
Will

You bought your son some an ancient touchscreen software suite for the PC?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm abroad for a while, so shortly before I left, I treated myself to a refurb 80GB classic (large capacity, great battery); you could try that. Alternatively, you could look at the 16 GB nano, which is a really beautiful and compact machine. The iTouch is fine, too, but at present, I fel the iPhone is far too expensive for what it offers.
Cheers and good luck

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I have my 1st gen iPhone that I use as my primary iPod.
Then I just bought, 2 weeks ago, an 8GB Black 4Gen Nano-Chromatic
I also have a 2nd gen iPod Nano for the gym, this nano factually belongs to my Girlfriend but I’m “borrowing” it meanwhile I wait for my Chromatic’s case.
I just sold a 30GB 5.5Gen iPod Video because I did not use all of its capacity
If I were in your position I’d check on the refurbish options at the apple store.

IMHO the 16GB nano would do fine, but it depends on what you use your iPod for. If you want videos then go for the classic, I honestly don’t see the point of watching videos on a nano. I like the nano for its size and weight that combination is awesome for working out, other than that I’ll stick to my iPhone and/or an iPod Classic.

The only thing better than having an iPod is to have TWO iPods… LMAO

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Gotta have a backup

Or 2 backups... you never know...

Actually I think I'll leave my Nano-Chromatic as it is, in its box unopenned, just for the sake of having it there... It gives my room some sort of "apple store wanna be look..." :D

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
the touch is awesome. and there is nothing wrong with multiple backups. :D

May 8, 2008
For the 50 extra dollars, I would just get a Classic, it's not like the extra space will hurt anything. However, I love the iPod Touch. I had a 1st gen and now have the 2nd gen, no complaints about the touch from me, highly recommend it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I love both of my iPods and use them both often.

I can't imagine paying for the AT&T iPhone contracts. Way too much money there. At least once you buy the iPod Touch, you're done with costs (except however much you spend on iTunes, which, in my case, is a lot).

AT&T Mobility's wireless contracts are no different than Verizon's. I do not know why people complain about having to pay for voice and data when using the iPhone 3g. Last time I looked, Verizon was charging 79.99 for 450 minutes plus unlimited "smartphone" data...no one complains about that.

If you are coming from one of those old Sprint Sero plans (not the newer ones) or had a grandfathered Tmobile plan, than ATT's voice/data rates are prohibitively higher.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I have 2 nanos, a mini and a iTouch, and to be honest I can' really pick a favourite. They cater to different people with different usages. If you just want to listen to music, the nano is fabulous. It's small, light, and you can control it without looking. But if you want other features like web browsing then you have to get the iPod Touch. It's really a great player and it has saved me the trouble of bringing a computer sometimes.
Unless you need the space, don't get the iPod Classic. It's the biggest (in terms of overall mass) and heaviest iPod and it has no unique features. Its only selling point is its capacity and cheap gb per dollar ratio, but if you don't need all the space why bother spending extra money getting a worse player?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.