PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is My Old PC Worth?

matt1219
Oct 5, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'm planning on getting another mac to add to my collection of a iMac G5 and an iMac G3. I'm planning on getting the MacPro listed in my signature. I want to get rid of my PC, but I don't know how much it's worth. Help?

HP Pavillion Desktop
Intel Celeron Processor 3.06 GHz
504 MB RAM
160 GB HD
with Microsoft XP Home Edition 2002

eXan
Oct 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
I'm planning on getting another mac to add to my collection of a iMac G5 and an iMac G3. I'm planning on getting the MacPro listed in my signature. I want to get rid of my PC, but I don't know how much it's worth. Help?

HP Pavillion Desktop
Intel Celeron Processor 3.06 GHz
504 MB RAM
160 GB HD
with Microsoft XP Home Edition 2002

No more than 70$, assuming you're in US.

sushi
Oct 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
You might want to check eBay or Craigslist.

Just remember, it will probably not be worth what you figure it is. This is especially true if over 3 years old. Plus it has a celery, I mean a Celeron, CPU which lowers the value.

Edit: If you are up to it, you might sell the major components separately. Probably get more that way.

McGiord
Oct 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
Probably the Windows license is worth more than the pc itself.
Check that also.

sushi
Oct 5, 2008, 09:57 AM
Probably the Windows license is worth more than the pc itself.
Check that also.
Good point.

Other legally installed software may be worth selling as well if the OP has the original install discs and code, if required.

Eidorian
Oct 5, 2008, 09:59 AM
Can you run CPU-Z and figure out which Celeron and socket you have on that thing? Knowing the motherboard would help as well.

Les Kern
Oct 5, 2008, 10:38 AM
Take the lowest estimate and cut it by 75%.

I had 2 year old HP pentium 1.25 with 200GB HD, and the BEST offer I got was 79 bucks.

Consider using it as a testing platform or maybe host a few virtual machines on it. Or better yet, GIVE it was to someone in need.

nick9191
Oct 5, 2008, 10:44 AM
You'll make far more if you rip it apart and sell the parts.

sushi
Oct 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
Consider using it as a testing platform or maybe host a few virtual machines on it. Or better yet, GIVE it was to someone in need.
Great options -- especially the last one.

matt1219
Oct 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know how to check the motherboard. If you know how, can you tell me? Is there a way without opening up my cpu? If I won't get much, I'll probably just experiment with Linux or something like that. Also, I forgot that it has a Lightscribe DVD and CD Writer. Will that increase the value at all?

Eidorian
Oct 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know how to check the motherboard. If you know how, can you tell me? Is there a way without opening up my cpu? If I won't get much, I'll probably just experiment with Linux or something like that. Also, I forgot that it has a Lightscribe DVD and CD Writer. Will that increase the value at all?I said to use CPU-Z. It requires Windows.

matt1219
Oct 5, 2008, 02:11 PM
I said to use CPU-Z. It requires Windows.

Sorry. :-/ I downloaded the program. It says I have an ASUSTek Gamilla Motherboard, 512 MB of DDR RAM at 166.7 MHz, and an Intel Celeron 345 Processor with a Socket 478 mPGA.

AaronE
Oct 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
Try turning it into a Hackintosh. With a ram upgrade you could possibly breathe new life into it.

WildCowboy
Oct 5, 2008, 02:33 PM
Sorry..."price check" threads are required to be in the Marketplace forum, and you are not yet eligible to participate there. Please see the Marketplace Rules (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules) for more information...thanks.