Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Anyone know what the current lead time for a new app (not update) is in the app store? Is it close to the 7-10 day turnaround for updates?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think it depends on the nature of the app, and how complicated it is to review.

I have one new app that's been in review for about 3 weeks already, but it's a fairly big & complicated one. Apps that are of the yet-another-flashlight class might have shorter lead times, since they're trivial to review.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I think it depends on the nature of the app, and how complicated it is to review.

I have one new app that's been in review for about 3 weeks already, but it's a fairly big & complicated one. Apps that are of the yet-another-flashlight class might have shorter lead times, since they're trivial to review.

Actually, I think it's random. MobileChat was pretty complicated (note that when Apple was reviewing MobileChat, it was working perfectly for them cause no server overload) and yet the developers found that Apple didn't even touch the program until a couple of days before release as opposed to the submission date like three weeks prior.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Wow so today someone from Apple spent 30 min or so testing my app. I know this because the app is heavily integrated with a server backend. They also visited the site and poked around a bit. Anyone have any idea what the approval time is from here?

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Rogue Vertex took 7 days to get in, and it's first update took 6. I've got an update submitted to Apple now, and I sure hope it's approved sooner...

I remember hearing from another thread that they saw that Apple used their app, waited a few days, used it again, waited a few days, and then approved it. So it's really impossible to guess based on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.