PDA

View Full Version : Macpro 1st Gen Graphics Card Upgrade

boogieman
Oct 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
After reading through several pages of post's on here I am still at a stand still on upgrading my original macpro 2.66ghz quad core. The reason I am upgrading the stock card is I cant handle the grainy look on my photos after using my same moniter with my new macbook pro. Also I am going to be using my bootcamp vista side to play bluray and hd dvds. I recently purchased the new buffalo dual external drive but the images are blury and after a hd video test my graphics card failed misserably. Can someone point me in the right direction. I want to spend around 275-300 shipped. My lcd display supports hdmi and all recent standards.

Catch Them
Oct 5, 2008, 06:36 PM
ATI 3870 ($217):
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435928/

Or:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-RADEON-3870-MAC-PC-EDITION-ROHS-512MB-100-435928_W0QQitemZ300262230215QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

nVidia 8800GT (Legacy Edition - $279):
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB560Z/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-GeForce-8800-GT-512MB-Video-Card-intel-Mac-Pro-0607_W0QQitemZ250297675872QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250297675872&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

---
Otherwise:

The original 1st Gen MacPro Upgrade; ATI X1900XT ($399):
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA631Z/B

Or a tad bit cheaper here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Apple+X1900&x=0&y=0

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZAppleQ20X1900QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

nanofrog
Oct 5, 2008, 06:36 PM
You could try the ATI HD3870 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435928/) (Mac & PC ed.). :)
It performs quite well, would work in a single card solution if necessary, and I think you'd really like the price. ;)
Just keep the old card, as you would currently need it to reinstall OS X.

Catch Them beat me to it. :p

Catch Them
Oct 5, 2008, 06:43 PM
You could try the ATI HD3870 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435928/) (Mac & PC ed.). :)
It performs quite well, would work in a single card solution if necessary, and I think you'd really like the price. ;)
Just keep the old card, as you would currently need it to reinstall OS X.

Catch Them beat me to it. :p

from all the recommendations i gave, i think the 3870 would also be a perfect choice to go with.
Does well under XP (games, photoshop etc)
Does extremely great under OSX esp with CoreApps and Photoshop, Imaging, Video etc.

;)

nanofrog
Oct 5, 2008, 07:06 PM
from all the recommendations i gave, i think the 3870 would also be a perfect choice to go with.
Does extremely great under OSX esp with CoreApps and Photoshop, Imaging, Video etc.
;)
Exactly! :D
Best bang-for-the-buck ATM for a Mac Pro. ;)

boogieman
Oct 5, 2008, 07:07 PM

;)

I forgot to mention I am running Vista on bootcamp. Also you all seem to follow the ati over the nvidia. I just thought that since the nvidia is higher I would have expected it to be better.

grue
Oct 5, 2008, 07:14 PM
I forgot to mention I am running Vista on bootcamp. Also you all seem to follow the ati over the nvidia. I just thought that since the nvidia is higher I would have expected it to be better.

For gaming performance, it is. For CoreImage performance in OS X, it is notů at least for now.

nanofrog
Oct 5, 2008, 07:17 PM
Not on a Mac Pro. ;)

The drivers for nVidia cards in a Mac Pro (OS X) aren't that great, and the ones available for ATI cards seem to work quite well in OS X. If the nVidia drivers were to improve, allowing the cards to perform as one would expect, the bias toward ATI could diminish, or even disappear I think. ;)

Eidorian
Oct 5, 2008, 07:20 PM
4850 if you can wait.

nanofrog
Oct 5, 2008, 07:22 PM
4850 if you can wait.
Well, if one is willing to wait, then get the 4870. ;) :p

Eidorian
Oct 5, 2008, 07:23 PM
Well, if one is willing to wait, then get the 4870. ;) :pI'll admit that I prefer dual slot performance video cards but the 4850 is probably the best all around video card for the price right now.

Below that it's a fight between the 4670, 9600GSO, and 9600GT.

boogieman
Oct 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
4850 if you can wait.

Whens it coming out?

Eidorian
Oct 5, 2008, 07:29 PM
Whens it coming out?We don't know...

grue
Oct 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
Whens it coming out?

Febtober!

nanofrog
Oct 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'll admit that I prefer dual slot performance video cards but the 4850 is probably the best all around video card for the price right now.

Below that it's a fight between the 4670, 9600GSO, and 9600GT.
True, but why not go crazy? :D ;)

apfhex
Oct 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
The reason I am upgrading the stock card is I cant handle the grainy look on my photos after using my same moniter with my new macbook pro. Also I am going to be using my bootcamp vista side to play bluray and hd dvds. I recently purchased the new buffalo dual external drive but the images are blury and after a hd video test my graphics card failed misserably.
I've had ****ty experience with ATI cards, but I also don't believe my experience is the same as everyone else's, so the 3870 is probably a good all-around card for you. But I have to think that your problems aren't necessarily because of the GPU, even if you have the 7300GT that the original Mac Pros came with by default. It should be capable of playing HD-DVD/Bluray fine, unless I'm severely underestimating the GPU requirements of those formats?

The "grainy look" you mention doesn't sound at all like the graphics card (unless it's defective), but something else. I think you out to look into that before simply spending upwards of $300, unless you're wanting a better performing card regardless.

zmttoxics
Oct 5, 2008, 11:11 PM
+1 for 3870.

Umbongo
Oct 6, 2008, 05:42 AM
I have to think that your problems aren't necessarily because of the GPU[/B], even if you have the 7300GT that the original Mac Pros came with by default. It should be capable of playing HD-DVD/Bluray fine, unless I'm severely underestimating the GPU requirements of those formats?

The "grainy look" you mention doesn't sound at all like the graphics card (unless it's defective), but something else. I think you out to look into that before simply spending upwards of $300, unless you're wanting a better performing card regardless.

+1. The majority of Mac Pros that have been sold will be using the base cards and there don't seem to be issues of grainy 2D images being reported. It may be something as simble as a resolution issue.

csista
Oct 6, 2008, 03:57 PM
This thread is perfect timing for me. I know the original post was about the stock card, but if I got the x1900 when I bought my Mac Pro, is it going to be much of a difference to upgrade to the 3870. I don't play games, but I will be using the CS4 Production suite extensively, mostly Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere.

I looked at the tests, and there doesn't seem to be much difference. However, I'm not that in the know when it comes to Video Cards, and all of their technical details. So I may be missing something.

Or would it be better to just keep the x1900 and invest in more RAM? (Currently at 4Gigs, definitely going up to 6 before the CS4 release)

Thanks for any help.

kabunaru
Oct 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
Whens it coming out?

Probably before the end of the year 2008 AD.

boogieman
Oct 6, 2008, 05:07 PM
+1. The majority of Mac Pros that have been sold will be using the base cards and there don't seem to be issues of grainy 2D images being reported. It may be something as simble as a resolution issue.

Let me clairfy that resolution is fine. I only have problems doing video editing rendering stuff like that major photo editing in adope and others. The main reason I have to upgrade is my factory card will not play blurays properly. I want the best of both worlds but can sacrifice some on the windows side. I really am leaning toward the 8800. I have the nvida 8600 in my macbook pro here and love it. Just one last thing can someone point out the major diff between the 8800gt and the ati 3870. Then I can fully decide.

Mackilroy
Oct 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
Just one last thing can someone point out the major diff between the 8800gt and the ati 3870. Then I can fully decide.

The long and the short of it - the 8800 GT is faster for gaming and under Windows. The HD3870 is faster for Core Image-based applications, and slightly slower for gaming.

boogieman
Oct 6, 2008, 05:20 PM
The long and the short of it - the 8800 GT is faster for gaming and under Windows. The HD3870 is faster for Core Image-based applications, and slightly slower for gaming.

Sorry for sounding plum stupid but what use's core image based? Vista will primeraly be used for viewing hd dvds and blurays, does that help anymore with my question. Thanks!!!!

belunos
Oct 6, 2008, 07:00 PM
Here's an even easier process

If heavy gaming = Yes then 8800
If heavy gaming = No then 3870

Can't break it down further than that. The 8800 is better for gaming, and that's it. The 3870 is cheaper and runs run-of-the-mill stuff just peachy. Now, keep in mind also that your components will need to be hdcp (is that right?) compliant, or your high def material will all run in lower res.

boogieman
Oct 6, 2008, 08:38 PM
Here's an even easier process

If heavy gaming = Yes then 8800
If heavy gaming = No then 3870

Can't break it down further than that. The 8800 is better for gaming, and that's it. The 3870 is cheaper and runs run-of-the-mill stuff just peachy. Now, keep in mind also that your components will need to be hdcp (is that right?) compliant, or your high def material will all run in lower res.

I can play bluray's and hddvd's now but it really stresses (Pixelated in intense scenes) out the stock card on the macpro but in turns does fine on my macbook pro with the 512 nvidia in it.

sandman404
Oct 6, 2008, 09:27 PM
Judging from the buyer's guide, we're ripe for a refresh of some sort. I am actually hoping they'll put some current-gen video card support in. By that I mean 4xxx series ATI and/or GT2xx Nvidia with the possibility of dual-card.

Given that Adobe has started integrating GPU support for their products to utilize the floating point processors, I would hope this is a good indicator.

The one thing I wish is that the hard drives were cheaper.

Umbongo
Oct 7, 2008, 05:01 AM
Judging from the buyer's guide, we're ripe for a refresh of some sort. I am actually hoping they'll put some current-gen video card support in. By that I mean 4xxx series ATI and/or GT2xx Nvidia with the possibility of dual-card.

Given that Adobe has started integrating GPU support for their products to utilize the floating point processors, I would hope this is a good indicator.

Nope. Mac Pro releases are all based around new processors. We will see a new Mac Pro in Q1 2009 most likely with those cards. A dual card is unlikely as someone would need to develop drivers for it and that doesn't seem viable.

grue
Oct 7, 2008, 05:23 AM

What the crap? Are you kidding? 1TB drives are under $200. WELL under $200 if you don't insist on Barracudas.

sandman404
Oct 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
What the crap? Are you kidding? 1TB drives are under $200. WELL under $200 if you don't insist on Barracudas.

I am not familiar with the non-oem sled requirements for the Mac Pros. Hence why I only have the Apple drives to look at. If there is something else available, I'd go with that (and of course the bare drives are cheaper).

Mackilroy
Oct 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
You can use pretty much any standard 3.5" SATA drive in the Mac Pro's HDD bays - like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284) 1TB hard drive.

nightfly13
Oct 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
Are there any other options - like flashing a faster/cheaper Windows card? I'm running a flashed Windows 1900xt right now.