Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Well it looks like the new Macbook is right around the corner. Speculation is pointing to the 14th I guess. I have a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo White Macbook, 120gb, 4gb ram. It is a wonderful laptop, but I would rather have the new model. Who else is in my shoes? When do you plan to sell your Macbook to buy the new one? Any tips?

Thanks guys! :D

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
Are you going to do the same if the new macbook comes out next year? I can't play catch up with technologies.

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
The biggest reason why I want to upgrade is because of the look change along with the power upgrade. Seems like a good time to upgrade instead of waiting it out. I figure other people will do the same. Most people don't know about new macbooks coming out so the prices are still higher on ebay and such. Once the new ones comes out, who knows how much they will drop in price.

I wish I could play catch up every time :)

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
You can sell it, but what if the new ones are still plastic? Or simply resdesigned plastic? You may have just lost a decent amount of cash out of your current MacBook only to get downgraded to the new ones. It's a gamble I don't believe is worth taking.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You can sell it, but what if the new ones are still plastic? Or simply resdesigned plastic? You may have just lost a decent amount of cash out of your current MacBook only to get downgraded to the new ones. It's a gamble I don't believe is worth taking.

How would the new ones be a downgrade?

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
It's a rarity that I keep a laptop longer than a year. I always find some excuse to sell and buy a new one. (it's a disease) I always PLAN on keeping the new one around for 2-3 years...but it just never works out that way.

It's one of the reasons I never bother to buy Applecare. I use my AmEx card which effectively doubles the manufacturer's warranty (giving me two years of warranty). And then I have good home owner's insurance which covers accidental stuff.

Anyways, if you are going to chase the latest/greatest, the Macbooks are pretty much the cheapest way to do it. (since the mini really hasn't changed at all since the move to Intel...I know this since I just recently upgraded my Core Solo mini to a Core2Duo) :)

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Your computer is less than a year old! Of course everyone would rather have the new model, but don't waste your money... just be happy with what you've got for another few years at least...

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
It's one of the reasons I never bother to buy Applecare. I use my AmEx card which effectively doubles the manufacturer's warranty (giving me two years of warranty). And then I have good home owner's insurance which covers accidental stuff.

OT: Could you elaborate on the warranty if you purchase it with AmEx?

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Yes I do have a computer to use in the meantime. Sadly it is a Vista desktop. Blah. I also have my laptop running time machine so everything is always backed up and ready to go.

Looks like I might throw this laptop up on Ebay this week. Or if anyone wants to buy it on here I will sell it for 1120 shipped! It is very clean.

MykeHamilton

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
I sold mine last week -MacBook Black, 2.4Ghz, 2GB ram for £760 on eBay. I paid £650 for it, from a friend who bought it a week before for £949 from Apple, then had to go in the army, so I snapped it up. I've now got £800 in my bank ready for the new MacBook - fingers crossed, I can buy it before 31st so I can claim a free iPod nano & Printer, ideal coz' I'm a student! :). Bring on the MacBooks!

Also, for the thread starter, Sell now! If new ones come out, yours wont be worth as much! Luckily I have a Aluminium iMac for the mean time! Woo.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Are you going to do the same if the new macbook comes out next year? I can't play catch up with technologies.

Where not talking about iPods here.. See how long it took to get a "decent update" on the macbook.. Thats of course if were getting one.. If Apple would come every year with a redesigned macbook I would totattly agree with you.. But they don`t

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
I'll never buy a Rev A Mac again and I'll be holding onto my MacBook for at least 6 months after the new MBs are released. The new MacBooks won't simply be a case change, so there will certainly be kinks that need to be worked out. If you love your current MB then don't get rid of it!

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
It's a tough one really, i am actually confused what to do.

I keep thinking what happens if the news ones dont come?

Then again no matter when you sell it, now or the day there out. People who perhaps could not afford the new one or only need a system for minor reasons they would go second hand

Really up to you mate

Hope what ever you choose goes well

mat:apple:

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
my macbook will serve me well for a long time to come, no need to get rid of it because something newer is approaching.

You don't always need to have the newest/best thing.
This is something you have to deal with when it comes to being a mac user.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sell it now really cheaply so I can buy it and then you buy the top end model to stimulate the economy.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Yes I do have a computer to use in the meantime. Sadly it is a Vista desktop. Blah. I also have my laptop running time machine so everything is always backed up and ready to go.

Looks like I might throw this laptop up on Ebay this week. Or if anyone wants to buy it on here I will sell it for 1120 shipped! It is very clean.

You mean $1120? Don't know how much they go for on ebay, but since you can buy brand new 2.1GHz (close enough) MacBook with the same drive for $1099... you know, RAM upgrade doesn't really cost $300 as Apple would have us believe ;).

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Also consider that the general public shopping on eBay is NOT going to be aware that there is a NEW Macbook for a week or so after October 14.

Considering you have a Desktop I would say throw it on eBay now.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
I sold my Macbook on Ebay today. I've got an iMac as well, and I can live without a laptop for a while, so I took a chance on the new models coming out soon.

I was pleased to get £500 for something that cost me £800 about 2 years ago.

I reckon I would have been lucky to get £100 for an equivalent Windows laptop, so that makes the real cost of ownership actually quite low :cool:

If you can live without a laptop for a while, and you want the fun of buying a new one, sell it now.

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
You mean $1120? Don't know how much they go for on ebay, but since you can buy brand new 2.1GHz (close enough) MacBook with the same drive for $1099... you know, RAM upgrade doesn't really cost $300 as Apple would have us believe ;).

2.2 ghz white with 2gb of ram and a 120gb hd went for $1200 on the 26th of September. I figure I can get about the same or slightly lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.