PDA

View Full Version : Another Day, Another Rumor...

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 26, 2004, 05:06 PM
The constant promise of another day....

Railheaddesign (http://www.railheaddesign.com/) fuels more anticipation with the following:

Tomorrow promises to be a 'big' day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited…

Unfortunately, by this point, there has been very little concrete evidence of the anticipated 20th anniversary updates... Uncharacteristically, Apple has let the date come-and-go without any acknowledgement .

The only remaining evidence is plans for Apple Store floorplan changes this week...

mvc
Jan 26, 2004, 05:08 PM
*Yawns*

Grimace
Jan 26, 2004, 05:09 PM
no celebratory G5s yet - I say it'll happen.

Sabenth
Jan 26, 2004, 05:09 PM
Did some one mention iMac G5 OMG YAYAY

iriejedi
Jan 26, 2004, 05:12 PM
What are the floor plan changes calling for? Last I heard that was supposed to be on the 19th? Not....

There is little belief that even with an announcement pending that availability is still likely to be weeks away...no? I'd be shocked if the minor oversight by Apple to dazzle us on the 24th was due to inventory/stocking delays to get new machines in stores and wearhouses to announce and ship same day....

Can I be any more optimistic? Sure I can! - Stevie J releases dual 3.05gig machines and keeps promise ahead of schedule!

Iriejedi

CrackedButter
Jan 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
I just an eMac so even if they did release something i couldn't buy it anyway. :(

But i doubt they will release something anyway.

rdowns
Jan 26, 2004, 05:14 PM
It's Tuesday so there must be new PowerBook G5s or speed bumped PowerMacs or the elusive G5 iMac or new displays or the video iPod or maybe the iBox is coming. So many possibilities.

sethypoo
Jan 26, 2004, 05:15 PM
Well, we'll see. Personally, I'm getting tired of being let down!

Err, sorry, that sounded childish.:eek: :p ;)

macMaestro
Jan 26, 2004, 05:15 PM
Please??? Pretty please??? Something??? Anything???

Please??? :)

appleface
Jan 26, 2004, 05:16 PM
i think apple is holding out for a superbowl spot. steve jobs might be afraid of not living up to the 1984 commercial, but i doubt they'll do worse than the 2001 space odyssey :)

youngr40
Hello All

I have just installed the lastest security update and now noticed that if you navigate to home folder of a user that has filevault setup, you are prompted to enter a password to open a diskimage that contains the home folder. Entering the correct password will mount a diskimageo n your desktop

I never had this before must be to do with the security update

iChan
am i the only one who is extremely bored and bitterly dissapointed by the total non-event of the 20th anniversary of the mac???

i am also very saddened...

SJ should have launched something at MWSF and have it launch today.

this whole rumor saga is getting boring and if nothing comes tomorrow, (a pretty good da for new product announcments), I will be allotocating a seriously reduced amount of tim to browsing the macweb...

invaLPsion
Jan 26, 2004, 05:17 PM
Hope! Thank you RailheadDesign!:D

El Tritoma
Jan 26, 2004, 05:17 PM
I noticed that the Spirit rover's problem seems to be based on the flash memory not being able to store everything (pictures -- and maybe music too :) ). JPL is having to delete stuff so there is room for new pictures. Maybe this is why Apple only wants to produce iPods with hard drives!

rainman::|:|
Jan 26, 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by invaLPsion
Hope! Thank you RailheadDesign!:D

If you got hope out of this, i have some swampland in florida to sell you...

paul

ThomasJefferson
Jan 26, 2004, 05:21 PM
Updates Tomorrow!
...Along with another 2 inches of ice and temps in the mid 20's.

There now, everyone feel better.:D

nagromme
Jan 26, 2004, 05:23 PM
I don't expect anything big--maybe some kind of sale for the anniversary, with a little in-store re-arranging. Apple doing NOTHING would be odd. (Then again, they do feature the anniversary on their home page, so it's not being ignored.)

But if there IS a real new product (or even an update) tomorrow, that will really seal the "Tuesday" pattern!

Regardless... new products are coming one day, and probably not far off. One day the iMac will get a G5, if it doesn't get one this time.

mxpiazza
Jan 26, 2004, 05:24 PM
you know, normally i wouldn't think anything of this, and i'm really getting sick of the constant reaching for rumors to become true... but as someone above stated, Apple completley let this date pass with absolutley nothing... nothing. very, very un-apple... and there WILL be powermac updates sometime soon... SJ promised 3ghz by summer's end, and you know that WWDC will most likely be the platform for that announcement. can they really wait THAT long to announce something?

i'm not going to keep my hopes up... i just bought the last rev. of 12" powerbook, but i do hope they'll announce something, just for the sake of new products being released and more apple's getting out there to the masses.

AirUncleP
Jan 26, 2004, 05:25 PM
It's got to be a Survivor edition of the iMac that comes with DVR built in so you can replay all your favorite challenges.

Available right after the Super Bowl.

confirmed
Jan 26, 2004, 05:26 PM
i have to say... railhead's been pretty accurate with their rumors in the past couple months. they don't say much, but when they do, they're usually right.

i believe we'll see new powermacs as well as new displays tomorrow. then an update to the powerbooks in about 2 weeks. and while i'm guessing, i predict the powerbook g5's to come on June 22nd.

jessefoxperry
Jan 26, 2004, 05:31 PM
I read Railheaddesign daily, and without fail everytime he has predicted something about Apple(and especially when he gave it a date) he was right. Don't lose hope yet - there's something coming tomorrow.

Hoky
Jan 26, 2004, 05:33 PM
I am starting to crack under the pressure...

I am SO ready to order a new G5, and know that an upgrade is in the pipe (at least I hope so...). I want one NOW!!!!

My G4 400 TiBook (the original) stills chugs along, but having had the opportunity to use a dual G5 last month has left me with a kind of technology desire/craving that is second only to crack cocaine in terms of intensity.

The G5 means one thing to me: possibilities. Endless possibilities in terms of creativity and entertainment. I dream of a day when I have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, Safari, Mail and iTunes open at the same time, with Final Cut rendering in the background - all while the G5 says, "Is that all you are going to throw at me?"

I think they classify me as a "power user" in the computing world.

If I tried to do that with my TiBook...well, let's just say I know better.

I hope for my sanity's sake that Tuesdays (ie: tomorrow) are the day. I don't know if I could handle the disappointment of a non-announcement.

Satan, grant me patience. Please...

howard
Jan 26, 2004, 05:33 PM
hehe i just can't get over this apple-rumor phenomenon. i mean companies get people to act like little kids over updates to computers? i admit i am one..but still its just funny.

anyway, updates will come and go... heres to hoping they come sooner than later!

alirio
Jan 26, 2004, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with jessefoxperry.

I too read his site daily and he has never been wrong...

kuyu
Jan 26, 2004, 05:37 PM
While a total non-event for mac's 20th B-day would be strange, I wonder if there's not some internal conflict at infinite loop dr? Jobs commented on "sales guys" ruining companies by focusing on the bottom line. Everytime a large apple event is on the horizon, no one buys anything.

Perhaps some in Apple (sales guys) like to wait to debut the new stuff until a big event. This way, apple can buy its own stock cheap, knowing it will add 4-5% in the days following an event. The apple "core" however, likely want to release stuff ASAP, just because they all get off on it like the rest of us.

Just my crazy, non-true, conspiracy theory....

splashman
Jan 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
Please keep your expectations down! Sure, you can hope -- I'm hoping for some "big news" tomorrow as well. But dang -- so many people seemed devastated this morning when the Apple website didn't announce 4ghz G5 iMacs for $250.

This is nothing more than very excited people buying into their own hype. Same thing as the iPod mini -- everyone made convincing arguments for why Apple should release a $49 2gb model, and were positively apoplectic when Apple dared to disappoint them.

For your own sake, hope, but don't expect.

Stella
Jan 26, 2004, 05:42 PM
These 20th anniversary rumours are getting tiresome.

Its not gonna happen :-(

hillbilly1980
Jan 26, 2004, 05:42 PM
I'm going to go out on a ledge and point out the obvious, 20 years is not a cool anniversary, at least not in my books and knowning what a purist jobs is its probably not in his either. Think about it what anniversaries/birthdays do we celebrate more then others, it really just comes down to the numbers and how we perceive them. Some mac fans are just itching for something anything, but realisticly 25 is going to be the BIG anniversary. At least until 50.

Anniversaries in order of importance,

1 : Cause you made it one whole year
2 : Cause you made it two whole year, its twice as long as one year.
5 : Cause its half way to 10 (important cause we live in a 10 based math system) and a little more then 2 times 2 ( your last big party),
10: Cause its the first 2 digit number, 2 times your last anniversary (5) and you start using the numbers over again(YAH).

Following the previous doubling logic you might think 20 is the obvious next anniversary but its not, cause 20 is just like 30, 40, 60, 70, 80, and 90, its just another 10 years, if you wait out another 5 years you get a quarter centrury which is alot more profound then 2 decades.

25: Cause your half way to 50 which is half way to 100, and its also been a while since your 10 year anniversary.
50: Cause its twice as much as 25
75: Cause its been 25 years since your last anniversary your itching for another, its also a warm up for 100, not to forget you already celbrated 25 and 50 and your going to do 100 so you might as well do 75 to keep with the quarterly consistancy.

100: YEH

p.s. pardon my grammer, its sucks.

hammy
Jan 26, 2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Hoky
I am starting to crack under the pressure...

I am SO ready to order a new G5, and know that an upgrade is in the pipe (at least I hope so...). I want one NOW!!!!

My G4 400 TiBook (the original) stills chugs along, but having had the opportunity to use a dual G5 last month has left me with a kind of technology desire/craving that is second only to crack cocaine in terms of intensity.

The G5 means one thing to me: possibilities. Endless possibilities in terms of creativity and entertainment. I dream of a day when I have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, Safari, Mail and iTunes open at the same time, with Final Cut rendering in the background - all while the G5 says, "Is that all you are going to throw at me?"

I think they classify me as a "power user" in the computing world.

If I tried to do that with my TiBook...well, let's just say I know better.

I hope for my sanity's sake that Tuesdays (ie: tomorrow) are the day. I don't know if I could handle the disappointment of a non-announcement.

Satan, grant me patience. Please...

I am feeling your pain dood. Last monday I was all ready to order DP 1.8's, but was told by many that I should wait for tomorrow because of something big going down.

I've been gazing at the subway for a while now to take myself down to prince street and get my G5 right from the Apple Store, but I have held myself back.

If nothing happens to tomorrow, I'd be disappointed for the time wasted waiting, but then if something came out more than 10 days after, I'd hate myself for being impatient.

This will be my first Mac btw, so I cannot wait! =)

My only fear is that something DOES come out tomorrow, but it will ship in "4-8 weeks" Oh the pain I would be in! =)

Photorun
Jan 26, 2004, 05:44 PM
Yes, tomorrow will prove to be a big day.

(tomorrow)

Did we say today... er, we meant Wednesday, HUGE, won't believe your eyes, holy shmoly... just plain large!!!

(wednesday)

[clears throat] Oh, um, Thursday folks, you wont regret the wait (for this, that and the other), we have it on good word from a little fairy Thursday will set the bar.

(thurdsay)

[No posts. Sound of crickets]

(friday)

Oh yeah baby, NEXT WEEK and we're serious this time, it's going to be big. Apple's got our number, get your checkbooks out, the next model of everything across the board... hoohaah!!

(next week)

Did we say this week, we meant February and when we say it we mean it and you will not be disappointed...

(april)

We were kidding before but we're serious now... and Powerbook G5s, yep gonna be hear this week...

(2005)

Good word has it G5 Powerbooks are at the store because we saw some Apple employee move a shelf down and wink...

Please... these rumors out of thin air are getting really, really old.

rikers_mailbox
Jan 26, 2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by El Tritoma
I noticed that the Spirit rover's problem seems to be based on the flash memory not being able to store everything (pictures -- and maybe music too :) ). JPL is having to delete stuff so there is room for new pictures. Maybe this is why Apple only wants to produce iPods with hard drives!

It's actually cause some of the Flash memory is corrupt. . . further evidence that Flash is dead! Now it should die in digiCams too.

I would love a Camera with a 4Gig microdrive in it. . . totally doable. Forget the 256MB flash cards.

-rik

cubist
Jan 26, 2004, 05:46 PM
What's the floor space redesign?

I was in Tyson's Apple on Saturday, and the layout was pretty clean and simple. The window displays were both iPods - kind of weird - a huge picture and box with a tiny iPod inside. There was a big square thing in the back with a black tarp around it, which I suppose is their "theater". It's not a big store by any means.

(Edit) LOL at Photorun's post. It reminds me of MacOSRumors :D Thanks!

dho
Jan 26, 2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by youngr40
Hello All

I have just installed the lastest security update and now noticed that if you navigate to home folder of a user that has filevault setup, you are prompted to enter a password to open a diskimage that contains the home folder. Entering the correct password will mount a diskimageo n your desktop

I never had this before must be to do with the security update

These forums are filled with people that would be more then willing to help answer any questions you might have, or talk to you about whatever you want.

I would like to request that you find a more apropriate place to post in the future. Given this is a rumors post, I would suggest you start a new thread with your specified interest. OR use the macrumors search feature and find an apropriate filevault forum that already exists.

thanks,

~dho

edit: and to make my post apropriate, I hope Mr. Jobs surprises us tommorow. :)

hammy
Jan 26, 2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Photorun

(tomorrow)

Did we say today... er, we meant Wednesday, HUGE, won't believe your eyes, holy shmoly... just plain large!!!

(wednesday)

[clears throat] Oh, um, Thursday folks, you wont regret the wait (for this, that and the other), we have it on good word from a little fairy Thursday will set the bar.

(thurdsay)

(friday)

Oh yeah baby, NEXT WEEK and we're serious this time, it's going to be big. Apple's got our number, get your checkbooks out, the next model of everything across the board... hoohaah!!

(next week)

Did we say this week, we meant February and when we say it we mean it and you will not be disappointed...

(april)

We were kidding before but we're serious now... and Powerbook G5s, yep gonna be hear this week...

(2005)

Good word has it G5 Powerbooks are at the store because we saw some Apple employee move a shelf down and wink...

Or maybe the lady selling the fake belts and watches outside the store on Prince St. got info from a "reliable source" that there were guys in big trucks, with an apple logo on them, bringing boxes into the store at midnight!

G6's tomorrow across the globe, heard it here first =)

sparkleytone
Jan 26, 2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly1980
I'm going to go out on a ledge and point out the obvious, 20 years is not a cool anniversary...Following the previous doubling logic you might think 20 is the obvious next anniversary but its not, cause 20 is just like 30, 40, 60, 70, 80, and 90, its just another 10 years...

Using conventional wisdom, you MAY be somewhat correct. But this is the world of technology. 10 years is two lifetimes.

iriejedi
Jan 26, 2004, 05:52 PM
(2005)

Please... these rumors out of thin air are getting really, really old. [/B][/QUOTE]

this is fun! goosip is what drives American business - otherwise we'd all work at home - especially since this is "MacRumors" you should have to realize that all a rumor is is factless speculation mixed with a dash of hope. No worries.

On you favorites list you must have accidently missed the link to www.macfact.com and stumbled into our own little virtual water cooler!

:p

Macmaniac
Jan 26, 2004, 05:54 PM
Well Tuesday is the day for Apple updates!
Crossin my fingers!

El Tritoma
Jan 26, 2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
It's actually cause some of the Flash memory is corrupt. . . further evidence that Flash is dead! Now it should die in digiCams too. -rik
CNN this afternoon: "Trosper said the problem appeared to be that the rover's flash memory couldn't handle the number of files it was storing. The jam-up, she said, apparently kept Spirit from shutting down properly and performing a number of functions that normally originated in its flash memory."
I am sure this is a special code to let us know that Apple is releasing a video iPod tomorrow. :D

legion
Jan 26, 2004, 05:57 PM
It's actually cause some of the Flash memory is corrupt. . . further evidence that Flash is dead! Now it should die in digiCams too.

I would love a Camera with a 4Gig microdrive in it. . . totally doable. Forget the 256MB flash cards.

-rik

Despite being incorrect about "Flash is dead"...

You wish is granted about a (video) camera; Canon unveiled one at CES using a microdrive.

Jan 26, 2004, 05:57 PM
to all those saying that this must be true because of railheaddesign's credibility... MacRumors (arn and staff) take credibility into account when looking at rumors... they've been doing this a while. and yet they remain unconvinced. that says a lot to me.

paul

dho
Jan 26, 2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Well Tuesday is the day for Apple updates!
Crossin my fingers!

What are you talking about? Tuesday is never the update day. Are you on crack or something. Its always Next tuesday! drrrr.

ya, i hope you are right. Since I completed my computer classwork today, I get to spnd all of my next period surfing on whatever comes up.

I WILL be in IRC tomorow around 11-12 :)

lets set a new record :)

irc.krono.net #macrumors :)

elgruga
Jan 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
only just got Garageband - now I have to buy a pre amp for my mic, and maybe I need a digital saxophone.

I cant really afford any more new stuff, so I hope the rumor is what it appears to be:
NFG!

rinseout
Jan 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
I'm going to go out on a ledge and point out the obvious, 20 years is not a cool anniversary, at least not in my books and knowning what a purist jobs is its probably not in his either.

I think this is a completely arbitrary system you've laid out. The kind of beauty I think of when I think of apple is for the anniversaries to be celebrated so that they're laid out in a logarithmic scale; to wit,

etc.

That's purism. On the other hand, Apple being what it is, they will probably celebrate as many anniversaries as possible to get people to buy more "xth anniversary edition" products. That's a strategy that might be borne out in reality by the decision to celebrate both Apple's 20th anniversary and maybe (?) Mac's 20th. Time will tell.

COS
Jan 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
If Apple wanted to make a big announcement for their anniversary, what is the most important day to do it, and what is the necessary thing to do to keep it a secret?

The answer to the first question is the Superbowl (for obvious reasons)

The answer to the second question is to deny that such ad space has been purchased so as to throw off the rumor sites from predicting the inevitable product release.

Apple knows that when people have reason to expect an upcoming product from them, the rumor sites hype this unknown product to such a degree that when its actually released, an incredible product turns out to be a let-down.

I can't imagine that the superbowl advertising commitee would care about lying about Apple's advertising status as long as they got the ad placement cash in the end.

Most companies want as much exposure as they can get, be it from being placed on an advertising list or whatnot. Apple is unique in that they'll get more exposure by not being listed and then placing an ad anyways.

Those looking for new product releases ought to hold out till Superbowl Sunday, as that seems like Apple's prime spot for a new announcement if there ever was one.

noel4r
Jan 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
Well, my patience ran out so I ran out and bought a widescreen TV, just in time for Superbowl. That 2K was supposedly for an updated Powerbook or a G5 iMac. Didn't really need it, my eMac works just fine, I just wanted to buy one for the heck of it. If they do come out with something new and cool tomorrow, oh well maybe next year.

fucanay
Jan 26, 2004, 06:06 PM
A friend of mine just bought a G4 imac and when he went to register it, he said there was a menu item for G5 iMac. I didn't witness this myself, but that is what he told me. I believe it is coming. Unfortunately I have no desire to have an iMac. :(

fucanay

El Tritoma
Jan 26, 2004, 06:10 PM
A log scale might go more like 1, 3, 10, 30, ... for half orders of magnitude (radix = 10). If this isn't often enough, then use a radix of 2 and increment by photography f-stops, or even half f-stops. This would give us a lot of anniversaries!

I agree with a bunch of other posts the last few days: I can't believe they just ignored the anniversary. PLUS I CAN'T FIND ANY YELLOW CAPS IN ABQ YET!!

je_wallace
Jan 26, 2004, 06:11 PM
If I had a birthday wish, I'd ask for a iPod/Cell Phone/PDA combo device which could access the iTunes store as I was stuck in traffic or at an airport without Airport.:) ;)

rikers_mailbox
Jan 26, 2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by legion
Despite being incorrect about "Flash is dead"...

Ok, fine. Flash may have some uses left still. You must be some kind of flash memory expert.

I'm just saying that the iPod, being hard drive based, smoked other flash-based MP3 players because of it's massive storage capacity. Look at the size of the miniPod and tell me that 4gig microdrive can't fit in a neatly sized digiCam.

Would you rather have 256MB or 4gig of storage on your camera?

-rik

ITR 81
Jan 26, 2004, 06:13 PM
Apple did open it's 74th Apple Store on the 24th of this month.

dashiel
Jan 26, 2004, 06:14 PM
I'm going to go out on a ledge and point out the obvious, 20 years is not a cool anniversary, at least not in my books and knowning what a purist jobs is its probably not in his either. Think about it what anniversaries/birthdays do we celebrate more then others, it really just comes down to the numbers and how we perceive them. Some mac fans are just itching for something anything, but realisticly 25 is going to be the BIG anniversary. At least until 50.

i think de beers and 99.5% of married women would disagree with you there. in fact if you look at traditional gifts for anniversaries they count every single year up to the 15th and then happen in 5 year intervals. so 20th is the next commemorative anniversary.

El Tritoma
Jan 26, 2004, 06:15 PM
I hope they don't announce anything on Sunday. I already have a bunch of huge conflicts demanding my time that day: 35th wedding anniversay, collect yellow Pepsi tops, Superbowl. I just couldn't handle a big announcement.
Hmm, strange. My wife just informed me that there is absolutely no conflict whatsoever on Sunday :) . I'll try to explain it to her later; she seems somewhat miffed right now.

phillymjs
Jan 26, 2004, 06:16 PM
Release the speed bumped G5s, already!

My bonus check has been burning a hole in my pocket for a month now. I thirst for a dual 2.6!

You're killing me, here!

~Philly

rendezvouscp
Jan 26, 2004, 06:18 PM
i find it hard to believe that they won't do something for their anniversary, but I've sumed the whole thing up in three parts: tuesday is right (not likely to me), superbowl is right (much more likely to me), or they won't do a thing. The only reason I believe they won't do a thing is because I don't remember them doing something for the tenth anniversary (err, reading, I was only 4 back then) of the mac. Did Apple do something for their tenth birthday? If so, then they probably only celebrate Apple's birthday, not the Mac's.
–Chase

mvc
Jan 26, 2004, 06:19 PM
The funniest thing about this thread is how suddenly all the Macrumors lurkers (you know who you are, and yes I'm one too) have all popped up to have a whinge about being kept in suspense and having to read an endless succession of "maybe tomorrow" rumors.

They say cynics are just disappointed idealists!

But like crack addicts we just keep coming back for more. So tighten up that tourniquet boys, and get those veins bulging…

After all, eventually, the "tomorrow" rumors WILL come true!

;)

floatingspirit
Jan 26, 2004, 06:22 PM
IF you were announcing something big, would you want it's press coverage to be shared with the superbowl? Or would you rather wait and have the spotlight to yourself? Even though they haven't bought a superbowl ad, as far as we know, how about that theory?

Or maybe they're trying toi put sites like this out of business!

In anycase, my savings is burning a hole in my pocket toooooooo!!!! I swear, one more update and I'll buy!!

sluthy
Jan 26, 2004, 06:22 PM
They did release a 10th anniversary flat screen Mac. It was black and came with a high-end (back then) Bose sound system. It also cost US$10,000 and flopped big time.

Jan 26, 2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by sluthy
They did release a 10th anniversary flat screen Mac. It was black and came with a high-end (back then) Bose sound system. It also cost US$10,000 and flopped big time.

I think that your thinking of the 20th Anniversary Mac.

invaLPsion
Jan 26, 2004, 06:27 PM

(tomorrow)

(wednesday)

(thurdsay)

(friday)

(next week)

(april)

(2005)

I'll tell you what's getting old. All these sarcastic posts about how the powermacs will NEVER come out. I've seen like fifty just today!:mad:

Jan 26, 2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by sluthy

yeah, if you're going to be matter-of-fact, be factual about it. it was the TAM, the twentieth anniversary of apple (as opposed to the 20th anniversary of the Mac which was a couple of days ago.

and it didn't flop, it was very VERY limited edition and was meant to be a signature piece, not a "hot seller". There were price breaks subsequently, and now they're still in pretty good demand. Really, the TAM was a beautiful machine that I still hope to own for the sake of my collection.

paul

sushi
Jan 26, 2004, 06:32 PM
Huh?

For camera memory...

Personally, I've had 512MB CF Cards for well over a year.

1, 2 and 4GB Flash Cards on the market.

...and Pretec has announced bigger ones for this year.

I will take flash over a HD any day if they are the same capacity. Flash is so much more durable.

Sushi

applekid
Jan 26, 2004, 06:32 PM
Something "big", ey?

I say that rumored 30" Cinema Display or something along those lines if you want something literally big.

brooklyn
Jan 26, 2004, 06:34 PM
Can't we just copy the Happy 20th Birthday thread over to this one! It seems like we've heard all these comments before!

STEVE, WHERE ARE THE NEW DAM EFIN MACS??? :mad:

RichP
Jan 26, 2004, 06:34 PM
I will buy whatever apple releases tomorrow. whahaha!

I dont think they would release an update during the superbowl; only an entirely new product would be worthy. I think its safe to say the aveage viewer cares less about an updated G5, or even a G5 iMac or Powerbook. Something like an iBox however...

Lanbrown
Jan 26, 2004, 06:36 PM

Let's not forget that some movies were re-released into the movie theaters for their 20th anniversary and to add some Mac content what about this:
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/jobsimac.html

Most notably this:
"The Idea is Simple
As Jobs explained it, simplicity is the key to Apple's new product strategy. Recalling the complexity of Apple’s product line at the time he rejoined the company—the audience chuckled as he mentioned the 1400, 2400, 3400, 5400, 5500, 6500, 7300, 7600, 8600, 9600, 20th Anniversary Macintosh, eMate 300, Newton and Pippin—Jobs said the company has repositioned itself with strong contenders in the consumer, education and professional markets."

rdowns
Jan 26, 2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by noel4r
Well, my patience ran out so I ran out and bought a widescreen TV, just in time for Superbowl. That 2K was supposedly for an updated Powerbook or a G5 iMac. Didn't really need it, my eMac works just fine, I just wanted to buy one for the heck of it. If they do come out with something new and cool tomorrow, oh well maybe next year.

Boy, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass when you see the G5 iMac Super Bowl ad. :D

pkradd
Jan 26, 2004, 06:50 PM
No "Special Event" at Cupertino, no invites sent to the press equal no new products. Just an update, possibly, of current computers. Anyway, how many of you would immediately run out and buy a new computer? You'll probably wait until the next rev comes.... and since you will wait, why not wait for the next and wait and wait for the one after that?

And one other thing. Apple has no ad before, during or after the Superbowl. All spots have been sold and they're not on the list published by Ad Age. Of course there will be the Pepsi/ITunes promo but as recent history has told us, Apple doesn't advertise during the Superbowl anymore.

:)

Mr Maui
Jan 26, 2004, 06:52 PM

Is that experience spealing? :eek:

skidoo
Jan 26, 2004, 06:56 PM
Tomorrow, there will be an iMac update. G5, 30inch screen and a metal case.
Speed will also be an eye opener.
Watch, you will all see I am correct.

Hoky
Jan 26, 2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr Maui
Is that experience speaking? :eek:

No. Just an expression.

If I was a crack addict, I doubt I would consider a new G5 a priority!

;-)

TEG
Jan 26, 2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
Using conventional wisdom, you MAY be somewhat correct. But this is the world of technology. 10 years is two lifetimes.

Dude, in the world of Technology, 20 years is almost 7 life times, well 4 to be liberal.

TEG

gwuMACaddict
Jan 26, 2004, 07:04 PM
it is wierd that they just let the date pass without anything happening... i dont care when the next updates are, but something new soon would be cool... i just want my mini to ship!!

:D
:D

G4scott
Jan 26, 2004, 07:04 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to remember more Apple announcements on Tuesday than on Monday...

dkemme
Jan 26, 2004, 07:21 PM
How about an iPad? That would be a great announcement and one worthy of a superbowl ad.

Mr Maui
Jan 26, 2004, 07:23 PM
No. Just an expression.

If I was a crack addict, I doubt I would consider a new G5 a priority!

;-)

Maybe the crack is causing hallucinations of wanting a new G5. :p

PretendPCuser
Jan 26, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm going to go out on a ledge and point out the obvious, 20 years is not a cool anniversary, at least not in my books and knowning what a purist jobs is its probably not in his either. Think about it what anniversaries/birthdays do we celebrate more then others, it really just comes down to the numbers and how we perceive them. .

It's obvious what you are getting at....Next year, Apple, as a corporation can go out and legally buy itself a beer! :cool:

MrSugar
Jan 26, 2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by mvc
The funniest thing about this thread is how suddenly all the Macrumors lurkers (you know who you are, and yes I'm one too) have all popped up to have a whinge about being kept in suspense and having to read an endless succession of "maybe tomorrow" rumors.

They say cynics are just disappointed idealists!

But like crack addicts we just keep coming back for more. So tighten up that tourniquet boys, and get those veins bulging…

After all, eventually, the "tomorrow" rumors WILL come true!

;)

It is amazing how true this is, haha anyone remember powerbook rumors? I sware someone could say one thing and the post count would hit 300 in the hour... haha, it's great though!!! NEW MACS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!?!!!

TheAnswer
Jan 26, 2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by TEG
Dude, in the world of Technology, 20 years is almost 7 life times, well 4 to be liberal.

If you are a liberal at 20, you're brainless, 40, moronic, 60, lonely, and 80, needy.

TEG

From Businessweek:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said: "I had never listened to hip-hop and had somehow developed a pretty harsh image of it. Now I'm not saying I like all of it, but I found some people that have something to say and are saying it, more than anyone since Dylan in the 1960s. And Dylan is my all-time favorite. I met him once. It was one of the high points of my life."

So according to your logic...tomorrow Steve Jobs will announce a Mac with no processor?

pjkelnhofer
Jan 26, 2004, 07:43 PM

Except Apple set a precedent when they released the 20th Anniversary Mac in 1997 on the 20th Anniversary of the company.

Plus, he referenced the 20th Anniversary of the Mac at MWSF and said there will be a lot of great products this year to celebrate it. Plus, I suspect they didn't drag out (and add an iPod to)the "1984" commercial just to show it once at MWSF.

I am not saying that something is going to happen tomorrow (or next week or the next). Just that something will happen to celebrate the anniversary.

Mr Maui
Jan 26, 2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PretendPCuser
It's obvious what you are getting at....Next year, Apple, as a corporation can go out and legally buy itself a beer! :cool:

Apparently not quite SO obvious ...

Apple, as a corporation, could buy itself a beer a couple of years back ...

However, next year, Macintosh, as a computer, can next year buy itself a beer (and all peecee users can drown their sorrows in Bacardi 151) :D

crees!
Jan 26, 2004, 07:45 PM
Uncharacteristically, Apple has let the date come-and-go without any acknowledgement .

Uncharacteristically? We all know Steve Jobs doesn't care about the past and wants to leave it in the dust. This statement falls out of line and into the rumor-bin with the rest.

totally_fly
Who says the anniversary was today? I say it's tomorrow! :cool:

Foxer
No one seems to realize that all the SuperBowl spots have been sold and Apple didn't buy one.

crees!
Jan 26, 2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
No one seems to realize that all the SuperBowl spots have been sold and Apple didn't buy one.

So? They have the Pepsi/iTunes ad. What's wrong with that?

lind0834
Jan 26, 2004, 07:54 PM
This is Apple's way of telling us to just chill out. Maybe they only celebrate the Anniversay of Apple, not Macs.:(

If your friend wants you to throw them a birthday party, they'll tell you when and ask for a party.:eek:

If you friend doesn't want you to make a big deal, they'll tell you a few days before say it will be a good time and leave the phone off the hook for the next 2 weeks.
:confused:

Foxer
Jan 26, 2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by crees!
So? They have the Pepsi/iTunes ad. What's wrong with that?

Nothing, but many people here seem to believe that Apple is going to announce new product in some sort or 1984 redux. I'm just saying that that doesn't seem to be likely, given that there are no spots available.

zellin
Jan 26, 2004, 07:56 PM
From a personal standpoint, I doubt that I would purchase a "20th Anniversary Mac" unless it was crazy. I don't like my computer being associated, by name, with a certain year... which may be Apple's plan exactly.
Call me crazy, but what really excites me is software. I have the computer, and I don't have the cash to blow on a new one. To me, Panther really was a "Brand New Mac". I obviously don't expect 10.4 tomorrow, and I would like to see a 20" iMac G5 tomorrow, but I always like software to accompany a new hardware announcement. Or an iBox/Apple PDA (even though its hardware, I would probably be able to afford it)

MrSugar
Jan 26, 2004, 07:59 PM
In my opinion Powermac's are in need of a revision anyway. The anniversary makes it even more evident that they should be updated. Even if there wasn't a big anniversary date I would still be expecting PMac revisions any day now. But the fact that Apple didn't EVEN acknowledge the date is a bit disturbing... I don't get it...

PretendPCuser
Originally posted by Mr Maui
Apparently not quite SO obvious ...

Apple, as a corporation, could buy itself a beer a couple of years back ...

However, next year, Macintosh, as a computer, can next year buy itself a beer (and all peecee users can drown their sorrows in Bacardi 151) :D

DAG YO! You're right. So much for fact checkin' on my part. Well, i for one would be happy to buy a beer for Macintosh. :eek:

kzoonut
My personal feelings on this is that I'd be surprised to be see updates tomorrow. Maybe someone else has touched on this, but my reasoning is this:

a. Everyone knows that Apple will be sharing a Superbowl ad with Pepsi on Sunday.

b. Why not start the string of updates next week, when they know all the Pepsi drinkers will be hitting an Apple site...

So in the fashion of many slashdot posts I've read...

1. Announce iTunes Giveaway of free songs (essentially under someone else's dime)...

2. Announce new product week #1 (G5, Display Updates)

3. Announce new product week #2 (iMac Updates)

4. Announce new product week #3 (Powerbook Updates)

5. Profit $$$$

Everyone knows that iTunes is a loss leader for iPod sales - Steve Jobs admitted to this in his earnings conference about 2 months ago - but when are they going to leverage iPod sales for Mac sales? From basic marketing, most corporations now deal in marketing 'campaigns'...It's not just one product anymore..it's about the whole brand. This seems like the perfect opportunity for the whole brand to take center stage...

Just my .02 (USD) ...maybe I'll be surprised tomorrow (I hope so..)

MrSugar
Jan 26, 2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by kzoonut
My personal feelings on this is that I'd be surprised to be see updates tomorrow. Maybe someone else has touched on this, but my reasoning is this:

a. Everyone knows that Apple will be sharing a Superbowl ad with Pepsi on Sunday.

b. Why not start the string of updates next week, when they know all the Pepsi drinkers will be hitting an Apple site...

So in the fashion of many slashdot posts I've read...

1. Announce iTunes Giveaway of free songs (essentially under someone else's dime)...

2. Announce new product week #1 (G5, Display Updates)

3. Announce new product week #2 (iMac Updates)

4. Announce new product week #3 (Powerbook Updates)

5. Profit $$$$

This I do agree with, it would make sense to release products when you have a ton of new visitors hitting your site. They may be able to get a few of them to buy because of the "wow" factor..... on the other hand I don't see how releasing updates before the superbowl would take away from any of that profit. Eitherway, the products will be up when the viewers from the Superbowl start hitting apple.com.

doogle
Jan 26, 2004, 08:04 PM
methinks that Jobs' interview with Macworld was "present".

kirk26
Jan 26, 2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
Updates Tomorrow!
...Along with another 2 inches of ice and temps in the mid 20's.

There now, everyone feel better.:D

Yea, the snow and ice greeaaattt today. Seriously. I didn't have to work!:D

noel4r
Jan 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
Here's what's going to happen tomorrow:

doogle
Jan 26, 2004, 08:15 PM
Here's what's going to happen tomorrow:

Yes I agree it will be:

kzoonut
Jan 26, 2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by MrSugar
This I do agree with, it would make sense to release products when you have a ton of new visitors hitting your site. They may be able to get a few of them to buy because of the "wow" factor..... on the other hand I don't see how releasing updates before the superbowl would take away from any of that profit. Eitherway, the products will be up when the viewers from the Superbowl start hitting apple.com.

I'm hoping that I'm a bit misguided in my analysis of Apple's marketing strategy...perhaps they will announce something tomorrow to get the "wow" factor started and give everyone something to look at before all the visitors hit...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 26, 2004, 08:23 PM
It all depends on who the 'wow' factor is aimed at. We're all (mostly) existing Apple users - maybe they want to get the message out to more PC people.

Anyway, regardless of why we're still waiting for *any* updates/news - we still remain at the mercy of Apple.

D

billyboy
Jan 26, 2004, 08:33 PM
Apple are playing the crowd rather well me thinks and keeping a tight rein on their ad budget. So many grown adults are dying to hear about something, anything new. Publications all around the world are writing reams about the Mac anniversary; the Superbowl launch of iTunes giveaway is coming any time soon, Apple arent paying for the ad; the word count will be in the zillions when the Pepsi bottle top frenzy gets going. Kids will be mugged for their empty bottles, adults will be locking up their kids to stop them buying Pepsi and if they do get out and win a tune, parents will pull the plug on their Pentium 2 PCs to stop every third child logging in and getting mesmerised into the Apple store and demanding garageband and the $2000 Mac to run it on. And it goes on, and on, and the source of all this social mayhem is sat in Cupertino laughing his head off at the unfurling of a great master paln conceived a few years ago when Apple was in deep recession.

pkradd
Jan 26, 2004, 08:38 PM
For those who stubornly believe Apple will have a Superbowl ad may I point out to you the list of advertisers at the following location. You will notice that Apple has no ad for any product (excluding the Pepsi/iTunes one. Get it?

Go here. (http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39561)

kzoonut
Jan 26, 2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
Apple are playing the crowd rather well me thinks and keeping a tight rein on their ad budget. So many grown adults are dying to hear about something, anything new. Publications all around the world are writing reams about the Mac anniversary; the Superbowl launch of iTunes giveaway is coming any time soon, Apple arent paying for the ad; the word count will be in the zillions when the Pepsi bottle top frenzy gets going. Kids will be mugged for their empty bottles, adults will be locking up their kids to stop them buying Pepsi and if they do get out and win a tune, parents will pull the plug on their Pentium 2 PCs to stop every third child logging in and getting mesmerised into the Apple store and demanding garageband and the $2000 Mac to run it on. And it goes on, and on, and the source of all this social mayhem is sat in Cupertino laughing his head off at the unfurling of a great master paln conceived a few years ago when Apple was in deep recession.

All in accordance with prophecy - Steve J has gleamed thru his fingers with an evil smile... HP has seen the light..more will follow...

daRAT
Jan 26, 2004, 08:53 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I think tuesday will bring us a new color to the mini-ipod line ...

I hope there is a webcast of that announcement!

splashman
Jan 26, 2004, 08:54 PM

I do quite a bit of photography with a 4 megapix camera. I've got a 64mb card in it, and I don't believe I've ever actually filled it up. I'd get nervous filling up a much larger card without uploading to my Mac -- if something happened, I'd lose an awful lot of work.

I'm sure some would have a legitimate use for 4gigs of camera space, but I'm not one of them, and you'd have a hard time making a case to the average digicam user.

DV cameras, on the other hand, would be a perfect application for microdrives, whether 4gigs or larger. I hate only having an hour of shooting time. And a microdrive would take up so much less space than the miniDV tape mechanism.

Krizoitz
Jan 26, 2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dho
I WILL be in IRC tomorow around 11-12 :)

lets set a new record :)

irc.krono.net #macrumors :)

Wow...I thought IRC had died awhile back, I haven't used IRC in years. Good to know its still kicking around and that not all old tech goes away.

Docrjm
Jan 26, 2004, 08:59 PM
Bring it on!

Originally posted by billyboy

Krizoitz
Jan 26, 2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by TheAnswer
From Businessweek:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said: "I had never listened to hip-hop and had somehow developed a pretty harsh image of it. Now I'm not saying I like all of it, but I found some people that have something to say and are saying it, more than anyone since Dylan in the 1960s. And Dylan is my all-time favorite. I met him once. It was one of the high points of my life."

So according to your logic...tomorrow Steve Jobs will announce a Mac with no processor?

Well that one just fell of the random tree now didn't it...

Krizoitz
Jan 26, 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by TEG
If you are a liberal at 20, you're brainless, 40, moronic, 60, lonely, and 80, needy.

Could we at all possibly refrain from the political bashing here? Honestly its so childish. Agree to disagree.

Krizoitz
Jan 26, 2004, 09:16 PM
While it would have been great to have seen some nice updates and/or an amazing new product for the anniversary, all I wanted was for them to acknowledge it, you know make the web pages front have a happy birthday mac theme, maybe a link to a story about the history of the Mac from Apple's perspective, things like a time line, pictures, etc. Nothing to extravagant, just something to acknowledge that it had happened. Thats all. I don't need product announcements on that day, they can announce those whenever they are ready, but something other than that redone 1984 ad would have been nice.

yoman
Jan 26, 2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Krizoitz
While it would have been great to have seen some nice updates and/or an amazing new product for the anniversary, all I wanted was for them to acknowledge it, you know make the web pages front have a happy birthday mac theme, maybe a link to a story about the history of the Mac from Apple's perspective, things like a time line, pictures, etc. Nothing to extravagant, just something to acknowledge that it had happened. Thats all. I don't need product announcements on that day, they can announce those whenever they are ready, but something other than that redone 1984 ad would have been nice.

i would have enjoyed such a link. Maybe you should let Apple know.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 26, 2004, 10:07 PM
It all depends on who the 'wow' factor is aimed at. We're all (mostly) existing Apple users - maybe they want to get the message out to more PC people.

Anyway, regardless of why we're still waiting for *any* updates/news - we still remain at the mercy of Apple.

D

~Shard~
Jan 26, 2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by skidoo
Tomorrow, there will be an iMac update. G5, 30inch screen and a metal case.
Speed will also be an eye opener.
Watch, you will all see I am correct.

Two questions:

1) Are you related to NeatGekko?

2) Are you a betting man?

:cool:

favpseudonym
Jan 26, 2004, 10:54 PM
found this on another sight, thought it was fitting

VicMacs
Jan 26, 2004, 10:55 PM
screens are due...

20 years is not peanuts... something big is inminent!.... will we see the iHump?

simX
Jan 26, 2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by pjkelnhofer
Except Apple set a precedent when they released the 20th Anniversary Mac in 1997 on the 20th Anniversary of the company.

Plus, he referenced the 20th Anniversary of the Mac at MWSF and said there will be a lot of great products this year to celebrate it. Plus, I suspect they didn't drag out (and add an iPod to)the "1984" commercial just to show it once at MWSF.

I am not saying that something is going to happen tomorrow (or next week or the next). Just that something will happen to celebrate the anniversary.

News flash: Apple was created on April 1, 1976. The 20th anniversary of Apple would then be April 1, 1996. When was the 20th Anniversary Macintosh released? That's right: 1997. That just about throws your whole argument out the window, now, doesn't it? :rolleyes: :p (Unless, that is, you don't expect the "something" to happen this year.)

MikeL
Jan 26, 2004, 11:04 PM

If you look beyond Best Buy and Circuit City you'll find that hard-drive based solutions for digital cameras have been around for a long, long time.

Awimoway
Jan 26, 2004, 11:14 PM
Uncharacteristically, Apple has let the date come-and-go without any acknowledgement .

I just don't understand where this notion keeps coming from. He acknowledged it at MWSF. He talked about the original Mac, the 1984 commercial, and they put a slightly updated version of the commercial on apple.com. There was an exhibit showcasing Macs down through history. The anniversary has been recognized. I didn't realize Jobs needs to personally send each and every one of us a strippergram (not that that would be a bad thing, per se ;)) in acknowledgment of the milestone.

billefrafra
Jan 26, 2004, 11:24 PM
Apple Hot News no longer has the 1984 ad banner up. In its place is the Virginia Supercomputer banner.

This change is less than 1 hour old, from what I've noticed. . . .

Whoops!

I guess it's one of 3 rotating links. 1984's still there. My sick anticipation has me desperately finding signs that aren't there.

studebakerhwk13
Jan 26, 2004, 11:31 PM
See ,,, Doc_mac has it on... whatever happens before now and the time tomorrow is more than cool...bring it on ... and all of us who bought before ... and all of us who are shopping in the future...will always have something to look foward to because we hooked our wagons to people who gave a damn about the future. Email me ... I'll tell you about every mac decision I ever made ... I'll tell you why this is where my heart lies. It's just an anniversary, everything else belongs beyond.

dho
Jan 26, 2004, 11:33 PM
Wow...I thought IRC had died awhile back, I haven't used IRC in years. Good to know its still kicking around and that not all old tech goes away.

well besides crazy mac and linux users, its way dead. But since when did the pc world count anyway :)

TO irc.krono.net I GO!

studebakerhwk13
Jan 26, 2004, 11:47 PM
quit!!! ... you guys spend way too much time guessing what is coming and living with the treasure we have today. oh, yeah, bring it on, but good lord, we have tools at our disposal that are so far beyond the marvels of 20 years ago – don't be so impatient!!!! I can do things now that were inconceivable 20 years ago. I am sill listed as a newbie, but good lord, man, I been around the block a time or 20. It is not as easy to plan for a 20th as it is to pull it off ... an announcement come tomorrow ... cool ... will it really make a difference ... it is going to be so much faster than I am. But the point is ... you ... me ... we're all here for the same reason. We live on the edge ... all the time ... who gives a damn about the rest of the world!

sethypoo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by jessefoxperry
I read Railheaddesign daily, and without fail everytime he has predicted something about Apple(and especially when he gave it a date) he was right. Don't lose hope yet - there's something coming tomorrow.

Let's hope you're right, or Rail Head Design will undoubtedly become the laughing stock of the Apple/Mac rumors world!

That's the sad truth about rumors. You have to be right all this time or people start to ignore you.:(

sethypoo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by studebakerhwk13
quit!!! ... you guys spend way too much time guessing what is coming and living with the treasure we have today. oh, yeah, bring it on, but good lord, we have tools at our disposal that are so far beyond the marvels of 20 years ago – don't be so impatient!!!! I can do things now that were inconceivable 20 years ago. I am sill listed as a newbie, but good lord, man, I been around the block a time or 20. It is not as easy to plan for a 20th as it is to pull it off ... an announcement come tomorrow ... cool ... will it really make a difference ... it is going to be so much faster than I am. But the point is ... you ... me ... we're all here for the same reason. We live on the edge ... all the time ... who gives a damn about the rest of the world!

Woohoo! Yes! Someone finally had the guts to say it!

The computers we have now are great, awesome machines (Macs, that is :) ). We should appreciate what we've got!

Cut Apple some slack and realize that they can't pull a rabbit out of a hat every time.

Les Kern
Jan 27, 2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by iriejedi

Actually I talked with an HVAC guy and he said he recently doubled the AC capacity at several Apple Stores to 8 tons. He said the Apple store guy said they needed it in anticipation of 4MHz G6 DP laptops that emit over 260 degrees from their cases.
Yes, rumours are tedious and boring. I just like to be surprised. It's more fun: no expectations dashed, no brainpower wasted on the ridiculous. So why do I come here? Damn entertaining.

mustang_dvs
Jan 27, 2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by splashman
I do quite a bit of photography with a 4 megapix camera. I've got a 64mb card in it, and I don't believe I've ever actually filled it up. I'd get nervous filling up a much larger card without uploading to my Mac -- if something happened, I'd lose an awful lot of work.

I'm sure some would have a legitimate use for 4gigs of camera space, but I'm not one of them, and you'd have a hard time making a case to the average digicam user.

DV cameras, on the other hand, would be a perfect application for microdrives, whether 4gigs or larger. I hate only having an hour of shooting time. And a microdrive would take up so much less space than the miniDV tape mechanism.
Hmmm... I've always felt cramped when using anything less than a 256MB card in my 4MP Olympus E-10. In raw or High-JPEG format, I could only store 10-20 photos using a 64MB card -- are you sure you're not taking photos at a lower resolution?

And in my EOS 10D, I almost always use a 1GB microdrive, which provides room for ~250 photos at highest resolution - though I have a 256MB flash card that is dedicated for when the microdrive is downloading into my TiBook... The IBM drive feels much faster, though.

Originally posted by Les Kern
Actually I talked with an HVAC guy and he said he recently doubled the AC capacity at several Apple Stores to 8 tons. He said the Apple store guy said they needed it in anticipation of 4MHz G6 DP laptops that emit over 260 degrees from their cases.
Well, my sources in Apple's legal offices indicate that there is some concern over the number of G6 laptop testers who have spontaneously combusted during the engineering testing. They're convinced that, if released, these new Powerbooks (dubbed PbBooks due to the large amount of radiation shielding required by the ridiculous quantity of Protactinium (http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Pa/key.html) found in the G6's AltiVec unit) could well make the 5300 debacle looks like a hiccup.

Well, we all know "Lawyers Are Wimps," right?

Of course there's also the thought of re-purposing the G6 laptop as the iGrill, but the projected $8,900 price tag, and the requirement that the user be licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory commission might dampen hopes of selling them through QVC and infomercials...

benpatient
Jan 27, 2004, 02:05 AM
well, at least they got rid of the Cesium-137 that was in the initial test batches. that was embarrassing to say the least....

mustang_dvs
Jan 27, 2004, 02:18 AM
Well, it turned out that the Cesium isotope wasn't radioactive enough, and besides, it's much more common than Protactinium.

The inherent coolness of the constant threat of a grisly and exotic death more than offsets the 23 pounds of lead shielding, according to Jonathan Ive.

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by crees!
Uncharacteristically? We all know Steve Jobs doesn't care about the past and wants to leave it in the dust. This statement falls out of line and into the rumor-bin with the rest.

Yes we OBVIOUSLY know exactly what Steve Jobs is thinking. Quit kidding yourself, the truth is NONE of us has a clue whats going on, but we have fun playing the rumors game anhow. And whats with that rumor bin comment? Have you READ the title of this site?

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Let's hope you're right, or Rail Head Design will undoubtedly become the laughing stock of the Apple/Mac rumors world!

That's the sad truth about rumors. You have to be right all this time or people start to ignore you.:(

Yes of course, because no rumors on other sites ever turn out to be wrong...

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Hmmm... I've always felt cramped when using anything less than a 256MB card in my 4MP Olympus E-10. In raw or High-JPEG format, I could only store 10-20 photos using a 64MB card -- are you sure you're not taking photos at a lower resolution?

You might have caught that I was addressing the larger part of the digicam market. I think you'll agree that your needs are a teensy bit above average.

Yes, I'm aware what resolution I'm shooting at. It's not always full-res, but usually it is. Is it so impossible to believe that my needs might be different than yours? I only shoot for print or web projects that don't have budget for a pro shoot, so client expectations are somewhat lower. That translates to quick shoots, fewer shots, and no need for RAW.

When I'm shooting the kids, I generally have no need for full resolution, so I can easily get a couple hundred shots, which is more than I would ever shoot in a day.

Different strokes, dude. 64MB is plenty for me.

groov'
Jan 27, 2004, 03:59 AM
What could a double 2.6 gig Powermac G5 do better than a double 2 gig?

I think for G5 owners it's not worth buying it. The only difference will be a few seconds won (and of course a couple of 1000 dollars lost).

Any G5 owner better wait until the 750 PPC is replaced by a 760 or higher. It's not a bad idea to work on the same computer for 3 or 4 years. It means that when you finally upgrade you get some real improvements.

From now on for most people new options on new machines are more important than raw computing power. Think built in 16x + and - dvdRW, tv and fm tuners, multi-cardreader, high end stereo and/or 6/7.1 audio, 108 Mbps wireless (still compatible with b and g) for streaming audio and video, e.a.

Many high end windows PC's already offer a lot of these options for less than the cheapest G5.

Come on Apple, do something, optionwise.

TranceClubMusic
Jan 27, 2004, 05:06 AM
Its the "BIG DAY" Tuesday January 27th!!!!!!!!!
and just as I was told NOTHING :rolleyes:
Please......enough already with the "Next Tuesday" and the Big "Super Bowl" Surprise - :rolleyes:
I'm so disappointed in the Non Anniversary Show from Apple.

MacBram
Jan 27, 2004, 05:16 AM

It's a nice idea, but tape still has practicality:
Full DV quality (which is already a compressed format) records at some 2GB per 10 minutes, so a regular tape holds some 12GB.

The typical camera operator records at least half an hour of rubbish (not destined for final edit) on a 1hr tape. If microdrives replaced tapes, you would have no choice but to take the time to transfer all 12GB to computer, only to find this out and delete most of it anyway.

Tape is right now the best storage medium. At $5 or less a pop, you have removable storage which holds 3x DVD media, from which you only transfer what you need into your computer.

Rip

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Please......enough already with the "Next Tuesday" and the Big "Super Bowl" Surprise - :rolleyes:

Sigh. The only things more tedious than inflated Anniversary rumors are the people who whine about them.

billyboy
Jan 27, 2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs

The inherent coolness of the constant threat of a grisly and exotic death more than offsets the 23 pounds of lead shielding, according to Jonathan Ive.

How did anyone manage to receive his words of wisdom when he was in his lead lined bunker 300 feet below ground ten miles from the nearest Powerbook.

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by MacBram
It's a nice idea, but tape still has practicality:
Full DV quality (which is already a compressed format) records at some 2GB per 10 minutes, so a regular tape holds some 12GB.

The typical camera operator records at least half an hour of rubbish (not destined for final edit) on a 1hr tape. If microdrives replaced tapes, you would have no choice but to take the time to transfer all 12GB to computer, only to find this out and delete most of it anyway.

Tape is right now the best storage medium. At $5 or less a pop, you have removable storage which holds 3x DVD media, from which you only transfer what you need into your computer.

I should have made it clear I was predicting a future use, not suggesting a present use. Of course the current cost is ridiculous and the drive size inadequate. Give it a couple of years.

I do a fair amount of cheapo DV production, so I know how the process works, but I don't see why rubbish avoidance would be more difficult with a microdrive. Are you assuming it would be impossible to do selective transfers from a microdrive? Even if it isn't possible at the moment, it would be an easy feature to implement, and much slicker than with tape. In FCP, for instance, via Firewire, you could review the raw footage on your monitor, mark ins-and-outs, click a button, and Shazam!

Think outside the box, dude!

starpolyp
Jan 27, 2004, 06:14 AM
nothing is gonna happen today. its soo funny.

Jan 27, 2004, 06:26 AM
Whoa..
Whole boatload of refurb stuff now on the Apple store.
ALL the g5 models, lots of powerbooks...

~Shard~
Jan 27, 2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic

I agree with splashman - I initially thought that the Anniversary rumors, which have been blown out of proportion, were the most annoying topic that has kept recurring on these forums as of late. But I stand corrected - what's even more annoying and foolish are the people who constantly whine about them to no end.

TranceClubMusic
Jan 27, 2004, 06:57 AM
"Railheaddesign.com, is only popularized by MacRumors.com":eek:

Tiauguinho
Jan 27, 2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by groov'
What could a double 2.6 gig Powermac G5 do better than a double 2 gig?

I think for G5 owners it's not worth buying it. The only difference will be a few seconds won (and of course a couple of 1000 dollars lost).

Any G5 owner better wait until the 750 PPC is replaced by a 760 or higher. It's not a bad idea to work on the same computer for 3 or 4 years. It means that when you finally upgrade you get some real improvements.

From now on for most people new options on new machines are more important than raw computing power. Think built in 16x + and - dvdRW, tv and fm tuners, multi-cardreader, high end stereo and/or 6/7.1 audio, 108 Mbps wireless (still compatible with b and g) for streaming audio and video, e.a.

Many high end windows PC's already offer a lot of these options for less than the cheapest G5.

Come on Apple, do something, optionwise.

You must be smoking some really nasty stuff!

What a Dual 2.6 can do better then a 2.0? Simple... everything... but MUCH FASTER! When you work with 3D, Audio or Photoshop with high dpi pics, every single bit of speed you can get is worth the money, cause time is money. ;)

BTW, just to clarify, its PPC 970 and its sucessor is expected to be the PPC 980... 750Fx is the "expected sucessor" for the G3 that is still used on the iBooks.

Just a question I've got to make... What PC's have the specs you said (quote: "Think built in 16x + and - dvdRW, tv and fm tuners, multi-cardreader, high end stereo and/or 6/7.1 audio, 108 Mbps wireless (still compatible with b and g) for streaming audio and video, e.a.")??? :D and much cheaper then the lowest G5? Are you in the year 2006? Or just another dimension? ;)

sushi
Jan 27, 2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Les Kern
He said the Apple store guy said they needed it in anticipation of 4MHz G6 DP laptops that emit over 260 degrees from their cases.
4MHz?!

Wow, I'm impressed! :eek: ;) :D

Sushi

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
You must be smoking some really nasty stuff!

What a Dual 2.6 can do better then a 2.0? Simple... everything... but MUCH FASTER! When you work with 3D, Audio or Photoshop with high dpi pics, every single bit of speed you can get is worth the money, cause time is money. ;)

The 2.6 will be a maximum of 30% faster. Is that "much faster"? Is it worth the cost? Maybe to you. Maybe not to other folks. Yours is not the only valid opinion on the matter. You could at least qualify your statements as opinions.

I work with huge Photoshop files all the time, as well as LAP, FCP, EI, and all the Adobe and MM apps. For me (<-- see, that's a qualifier), a 30% gain most definitely would NOT be worth the money. Not to mention the time (= more money) and headaches of setting up a new system, installing everything, etc.

But don't let me discourage YOU from upgrading. It can only help Apple's margins, which is good for everyone.

sushi
Jan 27, 2004, 07:53 AM
But what if you used a 40GB HD (1.8 inch) or a 80GB HD (2.5 inch). That would give you close to 3.5 and 7 hours, respectively, of DV recording.

Not bad at all.

The price may be a little expensive, but very convenient -- especially for the data transfer to computer (HD to HD) via FW 800 vice tape to HD via FW.

Plus, with a 1.8 inch HD, the whole camera can be smaller, lighter, and last longer on a set of batteries than a tape driven camera.

Sushi

Bear
Jan 27, 2004, 07:59 AM
Incremental updates usually start happening (Webstore not available) by now. (start between 7&8 AM Eastern and end between 8&9AM Eastern).

Based upon shipping lead times, the only item that is not on a same day ship are the Powerbooks. And based upon a lot of people now have Feb 3 ship dates, I suspect Powerbooks are next and probably will happen next week.

I admit something could still happen this week. Apple did do at least one new product announcement on a Wednesday morning last year. Somehow, however, I kind of doubt it - unless Powerbook updates happen this week.

Of course the Powerbok delays could be a part supply issue.

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by sushi
But what if you used a 40GB HD (1.8 inch) or a 80GB HD (2.5 inch). That would give you close to 3.5 and 7 hours, respectively, of DV recording.

Not bad at all.

The price may be a little expensive, but very convenient -- especially for the data transfer to computer (HD to HD) via FW 800 vice tape to HD via FW.

Plus, with a 1.8 inch HD, the whole camera can be smaller, lighter, and last longer on a set of batteries than a tape driven camera.

Sushi

Good points. I hadn't thought of using the larger platter sizes. An advantage would be that they're much cheaper per GB than the micros. A disadvantage would be the increased power draw, but it would probably still be less than the tape drive.

Again, I'm not holding my breath for such a camera, since you can purchase a whole lot of tapes for what a drive would cost, but it seems reasonable to expect such cameras are in development.

Photorun
Jan 27, 2004, 08:10 AM
Personally I'm going to be disappointed if Apple releasing anything less than a G7 23" Powerbook at 4.9 THz because you know Apple needs it to keep up with those liquid cooled peecees (insert microsuck apologist statement here)(insert Apple is dead because I think so stupid snarky comment here)(insert a 'I built my own AMD for $1.98" comment here in my basement which is really my parents basement because I'm 32 and haven't moved out)(end with some smug self assertive comment and agreement with previous Microcrap apologist who's predicted Apple is dead)

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 08:17 AM
Personally I'm going to be disappointed if Apple releasing anything less than a G7 23" Powerbook at 4.9 THz because you know Apple needs it to keep up with those liquid cooled peecees (insert microsuck apologist statement here)(insert Apple is dead because I think so stupid snarky comment here)(insert a 'I built my own AMD for $1.98" comment here in my basement which is really my parents basement because I'm 32 and haven't moved out)(end with some smug self assertive comment and agreement with previous Microcrap apologist who's predicted Apple is dead)

Heh heh. Thanks for the levity. I don't need to read any more posts in this thread -- you've just summed it all up!

robbents99
Jan 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
Well...if anything does happen....9am PST will probably be the time...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 08:24 AM
When the new machines come out, I'm going to buy the faster one - why? Because in my case more is better - and the small difference in overall price will be worth it.

I do 3D animation, and that 30% means the difference of getting a 20 hour animation rendered in 14 hours - in my work that's huge!

Besides, I'll always want a faster machine until I can render HDTV size animations with radiosity in real time. That might happen sometime in 2010 :D

D

Tiauguinho
Jan 27, 2004, 08:25 AM
The 2.6 will be a maximum of 30% faster. Is that "much faster"? Is it worth the cost? Maybe to you. Maybe not to other folks. Yours is not the only valid opinion on the matter. You could at least qualify your statements as opinions.

I work with huge Photoshop files all the time, as well as LAP, FCP, EI, and all the Adobe and MM apps. For me (<-- see, that's a qualifier), a 30% gain most definitely would NOT be worth the money. Not to mention the time (= more money) and headaches of setting up a new system, installing everything, etc.

But don't let me discourage YOU from upgrading. It can only help Apple's margins, which is good for everyone.

Agree with you and it's, of course, my opinion, that I've stated. I wont upgrade my Dual G5 2.0 to a 2.6, not worth the money FOR ME as you've stated (fast enough for the Flash work I do and I'm waiting for the PPC980), but it will be worth to upgrade to a lot of folks. Faster machines is always a blessing. Apple needs to keep up with the speed increase, or it will slowly stay behind. I consider my G5 a extremely fast machine, but there are people who are waiting for new G5's to upgrade, some for the fact of it being a Rev.B, some for a bit more speed. We are talking of Pro machines that are directed to a Pro marketshare (those who want and need the fastest computer on the market).

There are already a lot of threads with users expressing their opinions regarding that the Dual G5's are starting to lag behind, "Apple is going down" kind of crap, etc etc. Apple already did wonders with the release of the G5 and with the "1 year roadmap to 3Ghz" that Steve gave all of us on WWDC.

Please understand that this is, my opinion. ;)

Raiden
Jan 27, 2004, 08:26 AM
well its 9:30 EST and nothing yet....

c'mon railheaddesign dont fail us now!

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
When the new machines come out, I'm going to buy the faster one - why? Because in my case more is better - and the small difference in overall price will be worth it.

I do 3D animation, and that 30% means the difference of getting a 20 hour animation rendered in 14 hours - in my work that's huge!

Besides, I'll always want a faster machine until I can render HDTV size animations with radiosity in real time. That might happen sometime in 2010 :D

D

Definitely, some folks have a legitimate need for the fastest available, and do the kind of work that can pay for the fastest available.

Personally, I use my next-oldest machine as a dedicated renderer, so render time doesn't bother me too much. Of course faster is better, but I usually don't have to deal with very short deadlines, so a few hours here and there aren't a big deal.

For those (like me) that don't spend all of our time doing 3D, AE, audio, or massive Photoshop files, the price/performance ratio of the latest/greatest isn't that compelling.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 27, 2004, 08:48 AM
Nothing new today. Well thats lame. 20th anniversary and really NOTHING: :(

I thought that they could do better

obeygiant
Jan 27, 2004, 08:52 AM
well, they might update at 12pm EST which is 9am PST for apple.

But thats just a small chance now.

MacBram
Jan 27, 2004, 08:58 AM
I should have made it clear I was predicting a future use, not suggesting a present use. Of course the current cost is ridiculous and the drive size inadequate. Give it a couple of years.

I do a fair amount of cheapo DV production, so I know how the process works, but I don't see why rubbish avoidance would be more difficult with a microdrive. Are you assuming it would be impossible to do selective transfers from a microdrive? Even if it isn't possible at the moment, it would be an easy feature to implement, and much slicker than with tape. In FCP, for instance, via Firewire, you could review the raw footage on your monitor, mark ins-and-outs, click a button, and Shazam!

Think outside the box, dude!

I always look forward to improvements and innovations in hardware and software: that's why I read this forum and why I have used FCP for 4 yars.

My initial concern was like this:
"Dumping" raw footage from your dvcam's microdrive to the hardrive takes up space (and a little time) for something that may end up being rubbish. And selective logging and capturing (yes, I would assume that is possible from a drive) takes time and thought (with viewing and decision making in the process). Either way, one or the other will have to be done before you can use the camera again. If you know how the process works, then you know that you may not want, or be able to do either one while shooting. What about shooting an all-day event like WWDC? With removable media, you can do the capturing when convenient.

Evenso, I can think outside the box and dream of a 120GB microdrive for 10hrs shooting, and really smart scene-detection software that overlooks duplicate takes and identifies good ones! Maybe one that identifies "that's a wrap" and works backwards.

Rip

Lancetx
Jan 27, 2004, 09:05 AM
Sigh. The only things more tedious than inflated Anniversary rumors are the people who whine about them.

No, even more tedious than that is when the updates actually do finally come and people still whine about them because whatever is updated is deemed to be "too expensive" or "too slow", etc. :) Seems like most of the rumors the last few months have been rather vague and flimsy anyway, so I'm not surprised that this one didn't amount to anything either.

virividox
Jan 27, 2004, 09:06 AM
we got airport updates all around WOOO HOO

MrSmith
Jan 27, 2004, 09:12 AM
How many threads has this divided into now?

Maybe there'll be something exciting appear in a few hours, maybe there won't. Of course there's nothing that says there has to be. But what I find strange is the lack of even a Google-esque touch to the front page heralding another birthday.

Maybe not :cool: enough for Apple?

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 09:14 AM
My initial concern was like this:
"Dumping" raw footage from your dvcam's microdrive to the hardrive takes up space (and a little time) for something that may end up being rubbish. And selective logging and capturing (yes, I would assume that is possible from a drive) takes time and thought (with viewing and decision making in the process). Either way, one or the other will have to be done before you can use the camera again. If you know how the process works, then you know that you may not want, or be able to do either one while shooting. What about shooting an all-day event like WWDC? With removable media, you can do the capturing when convenient.

Uh, this particular sub-thread started with the mention of a removable microdrive card for digicams. I then suggested using such storage for DVcams instead. So I've been talking about removable HD-based media the whole time. I apologize for not making that clear.

Anyway, I'm not deliberately being dense -- I just don't see how the logging/capturing process changes just because a HD is used, instead of a tape. Either way, you (a) shoot a bunch of stuff, then (b) sometime later you review it and log it, then (c) capture the stuff you want. The only difference I see is that the HD-based process could potentially be a whole lot faster.

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Lancetx
No, even more tedious than that is when the updates actually do finally come and people still whine about them because whatever is updated is deemed to be "too expensive" or "too slow", etc. :) Seems like most of the rumors the last few months have been rather vague and flimsy anyway, so I'm not surprised that this one didn't amount to anything either.

Okay, you one-upped me. And you're absolutely right.

Next, someone's going to say that even more tedious are those who whine about the whiners. :)

Bear
Jan 27, 2004, 09:18 AM

But don't let me discourage YOU from upgrading. It can only help Apple's margins, which is good for everyone. You know it depends what they are upgrading from. If they have an older machine (G4, possibly pre MDD) then they will get a lot of boost from the upgrade.

I'll probably be looking to upgrade my Powermac next year. (MDD Dual 1.42). And I'll probably order it on the day an upgrade is announced. This way at least I'll be getting a machine that won' be superceded for 5 or 6 months.

My Powerbook kinda needs updating, however, I'm waiting until the next incremental update before I order. Why not get the most for the $$$?

However, I do agree that updating every 6 months is rediculous unless absolutely needed for paid work. And somehow I suspect a year cycle would be a bit better.

zedwards
Jan 27, 2004, 09:20 AM
OMG!!!! Look at the Apple store!!! They have PowerBooks!!! :D

zedwards
Jan 27, 2004, 09:21 AM
haha, Made you look! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

applemacdude
Jan 27, 2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by zedwards
haha, Made you look! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
No you didnt....

mustang_dvs
Jan 27, 2004, 09:28 AM
You might have caught that I was addressing the larger part of the digicam market. I think you'll agree that your needs are a teensy bit above average.

Yes, I'm aware what resolution I'm shooting at. It's not always full-res, but usually it is. Is it so impossible to believe that my needs might be different than yours? I only shoot for print or web projects that don't have budget for a pro shoot, so client expectations are somewhat lower. That translates to quick shoots, fewer shots, and no need for RAW.

When I'm shooting the kids, I generally have no need for full resolution, so I can easily get a couple hundred shots, which is more than I would ever shoot in a day.

Different strokes, dude. 64MB is plenty for me.

I wasn't knocking you, I just was curious, since you mentioned that you were using a 4MP camera, the assumption by most people would be that you were using the full capabilities for capturing to your removable media.

edenwaith
Jan 27, 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
If you got hope out of this, i have some swampland in florida to sell you...

Really? I'll trade your swamp land for some lovely coast line properties I have in Montana and Switzerland.

Okay, keep it Mac related...hmmmm...9:30 CST and still nothing on Apple's web site...but then, it would only be 7:30 in California.

TranceClubMusic
Jan 27, 2004, 09:39 AM
Okay, you one-upped me. And you're absolutely right.

Next, someone's going to say that even more tedious are those who whine about the whiners. :)

LMFAOOOOOOOOO - thats a good one ;)

kkubaryc
Jan 27, 2004, 09:41 AM
In America you can't drink legally until you're 21.

A year from now we'll see something really big. :D

Thor74
Jan 27, 2004, 09:44 AM
No updates, rumormills were waaay off for this one... I never got my hopes up that high, but it looks like Jobs & Co. are going to be cramming alot of things into the next 6 months if he really wants to live up to his promise of 3 gigahertz by summer's end.. NOT the best business model if they do not allow at least a 5-6 month area for a new intermediate speed bump class of G5's to hit and sell in this slower economy market before announcing the 3.0 zeneith. Oh well. Time to go back to work.

grouse
Jan 27, 2004, 09:47 AM
based on absolutely no proof whatsoever...

is that they have the new machines, in the PowerMac line and in the iMac line, but they are being held back to clear the backlog, which is why so few rumors have come out consitently, they're doing their best to keep the sales going. PowerMac G5 sales I think have been below their expectations, they've been good, but the initial demand caught them off guard, so they ramped up production, just as the demand tailed off slightly.

I seem to remember this from ages ago regarding the old PowerBooks, pre-titatium and that they had such a large back log, they were hoping to shift them before they brought in the new ones (and ended up essentially burying the old machine somewhere, so the story went), but I have no idea what apple's inventory is like these days, it was much improved but I thought it had slipped latey.

As we know iMac sales of the new form, haven't lived up to expectations, either. And if the new model is an utterly different form factor, they need to shift the old lot.

SImilarly the new powerMacs might be using the same chip as in the Xserve, which is lower heat and thus maybe we looking at a modified case design, old ones needing to be shifted first.

Of course this is possibly absolute nonsense as I'm sure folks will tell me and it doesn't stop them letting off a few fireworks to celerate the occassion does it?

Oh well, maybe it's all being saved up for the real birthday, the one that means something, ie 21st! I mean who goes crazy for a 20th birthday. You can't drink? You can't um, that's it I think, everything else is 18 or 16......

Anyway, if that's the case, keep checking until 24/1/05....

xxxx

maclamb
Jan 27, 2004, 09:49 AM
I saw a quote recently from an apple person saying they were so caught up in getting the mini iPod out that they couldn't even think of PM / PB updates...

splashman
Jan 27, 2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Bear
You know it depends what they are upgrading from. If they have an older machine (G4, possibly pre MDD) then they will get a lot of boost from the upgrade.

Just wanted to point out that I was responding to a poster who said, specifically, that upgrading from a dual 2ghz to 2.6ghz was a good move for most every professional.

However, I do agree that updating every 6 months is rediculous unless absolutely needed for paid work. And somehow I suspect a year cycle would be a bit better.

Or even longer. Like I said, it all depends on one's needs. I do lots of Photoshop work for print, some 3D, some AE, some audio. My trusty 9600 (with 466mhz G3) was my primary machine for almost 5 years, until last August, when I got a dual 1.25 G4. Yes, there were times I wished I had a faster machine, but even in hindsight, I don't regret the wait.

Of course, Apple would go down the tube if everyone emulated me. So I urge everyone else to upgrade every six months. :)

noel4r
Jan 27, 2004, 09:55 AM
like i said yesterday, here's what apple has in store for today:

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 09:59 AM
9AM California Time is when updates would come. My friends with Apple tell me updates are VERY soon, and that today is possible.

Apple releases on Tuesdays (sometimes Thursdays), and at 9am always. This rumor is still active for one more hour.

Captnroger
Jan 27, 2004, 10:08 AM
I can't believe they let this milestone slip without SOMETHING. Even a friggin announcement on their site or something acknowledging the anniversary or SOMETHING.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

numediaman
Jan 27, 2004, 10:20 AM
I don't think its an issue of updates today, or tomorrow. The whole line is way past due for updates.

Shopping online right now for a laptop to replace my Titanium Powerbook is rather revealing. Let's go to PC Mall -- a Sony Vaio, 15", 2.66 ghz P4, bus speed 533Mhz, 40 gig HD, combo optical drive = $1099. Closest Mac: iBook 14", 933 ghz, bus speed 133 mhz, 40gig HD, combo optical drive = $1299. Gee, that's a tough decision!

As an Apple customer since 1983, let's just say that I decide to wait for updates, or just buy the Mac without hesitation. That's one customer retained. But, what about others?

Foxer
Jan 27, 2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kidd0
9AM California Time is when updates would come. My friends with Apple tell me updates are VERY soon, and that today is possible.

Apple releases on Tuesdays (sometimes Thursdays), and at 9am always. This rumor is still active for one more hour.

Unless this is a change in Apple policy, I disagree. All Tuesday product revisions that I can recall from last year (those not assocaited with an event) occured in the morning. They would always be waiting for me when I would log on at work around 9am Central.

I hope I am wrong, and that new product shows up in couple hours, but we'll just have to wait and see.

john123
Jan 27, 2004, 10:24 AM
My friends with Apple tell me updates are VERY soon, and that today is possible.

I love how everyone manages to have "friends with Apple" who know so much. Perhaps everyone having "friends with Apple" explains why all the rumor sites get specs on new machines weeks in advance of their release.

Oh wait....

MacPulse Zack
Jan 27, 2004, 10:24 AM
Steve Jobs probably figured that acknowleding the 20th Anniversary at Macworld was plenty, and that a seperate acknowledgment of the actual birthday on the 24th was unnecessary.

It's clear to me with the redone 1984 commercial containing the iPod that the iPod is indeed the celebration product Apple intends to use for this occasion.

I do hope I'm wrong, as it does seem odd for Apple to not do something to acknowledge the date itself.

paulypants
Jan 27, 2004, 10:26 AM
i'm starting to get really sick of ipod ipod ipod music music music....

whatever happened to computers..

oh well

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by john123
I love how everyone manages to have "friends with Apple" who know so much. Perhaps everyone having "friends with Apple" explains why all the rumor sites get specs on new machines weeks in advance of their release.

Oh wait....
;) Well, no matter what- I'd be willing to bet on a product release this week no matter what- and I'm almost certain of one today.

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by paulypants

oh well
I hear ya.
I have my iPod, and I love my iPod, and I love my music- but Apple needs to slow down a bit and recognize what we love about them- their computers.

noel4r
Jan 27, 2004, 10:33 AM

Your friends with Apple? You mean your imaginary friends?

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 10:35 AM
at*

Imaginary? I'm not going to argue with you about this, it's so immature.

I hate going off topic anyway. I can't wait to say I told you so when I see updates this week :p

sushi
Jan 27, 2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by paulypants

oh well
Well, isn't an iPod a specific kind of computer? :D :D :D

Sushi

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 10:42 AM
Usually updates happen 9 AM EST - unless there is a reason - not saying we won't see something at 9 AM West Coast - but I'm thinking we're going to have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

D

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Usually updates happen 9 AM EST - unless there is a reason - not saying we won't see something at 9 AM West Coast - but I'm thinking we're going to have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

D
9 AM EST?!
That's 6 AM Westside.

I don't remember a 6 AM Westside release.

sushi
Jan 27, 2004, 10:45 AM
Good points. I hadn't thought of using the larger platter sizes. An advantage would be that they're much cheaper per GB than the micros. A disadvantage would be the increased power draw, but it would probably still be less than the tape drive.

Again, I'm not holding my breath for such a camera, since you can purchase a whole lot of tapes for what a drive would cost, but it seems reasonable to expect such cameras are in development.
Understand.

Just looking at alternatives.

At 40GB (3.5 hours roughly) not many folks are going to need that much continuous recording capability.

Reminds me of the first time I did ski videos with a friend. Spent all day working on some great shots. Very tired. Got back to the hotel room and reviewed the footage. Only had a few minutes after a days work.

...so then I decided to start filming while skiing, but that is another story.

My point being, is most folks don't need more than an hour or two for a days worth of video taping. So if they can go home and DL onto a computer or larger HD system, that may be a great solution.

Which brings me to the idea of using the iPod as a recorder. Too bad you can't just connect a camera (something like the iSight) the iPod and record video. That might be an interesting soltion for many folks who don't need professional level quality.

Sushi

iriejedi
Jan 27, 2004, 10:49 AM
Well - this is my last post until I order the new G5 and I begin posting notes on how fast it is.

I have spent way too much time in rumor land and while I've tried to keep it in prespective. The elation/dissapointment of having cash in pocket but refusing to buy a first gen machine (personal preference - don't need a sociology lesson) Here is my final thoughts.

Two things I've noted....

ONE) no rebates at Apple store - to date I have always seen rebate 2-4 weeks before a rvision. I've been doing the ..next round... for about 3 years now (recent events wedding/house/car always put it off - and this rebate trend is nearly 100% perfect) The latter time, 4 weeks, at the educational store which always got rebates earlier. So to this I say revisions are MORE than one month away. Apple is still a business after all and OLD inventory must be moved.

TWO) Non-disclosure agreement my butt. Rumors and gossip drive the world and are as much a apart of marketing as the TV adds. So the fact the apple has been as silent as many of the Mars probes we have lost.... I say until we start getting wiffs of 'leaked' specs... accidental web site mistakes... etc... I hate to admit it but I now have a lot more respect for Trance Cub Music. He kept it real and I think he is the only one who know something.

Because TRUE knowledge comes from knowing you know nothing!
- So Crates

One last note - this era of rumor land has cost me more productivity time than the My Doom Virus - I LOVE BEING A MAC USER!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

sushi
Jan 27, 2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by sushi
Which brings me to the idea of using the iPod as a recorder. Too bad you can't just connect a camera (something like the iSight) the iPod and record video. That might be an interesting soltion for many folks who don't need professional level quality.
I forgot to add...

I have numerous friends who own expensive video and digital cameras. Yet they use them very little, but seem to need to have the latest and greatest.

If you could purchase an iPod/iSight type combination, you can also use it for music and video conferencing so you get more value for your money. Plus you don't have your gaggests just laying around gathing dust like so many I know.

Anyhow, just some ideas.

Sushi

Sonofhaig
Jan 27, 2004, 10:58 AM
I'll be generous and give Apple till 9 AM Pacific. Which is 3 mins away. I don't think we'll be seeing anything....

I love how this thread became so large over something so vague.

paulypants
Jan 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
Well, isn't an iPod a specific kind of computer?

ugh

Kenny Pollock
Jan 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
Tomorrow is another day. :(

aaron128
Jan 27, 2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
I'll be generous and give Apple till 9 AM Pacific. Which is 3 mins away. I don't think we'll be seeing anything....

I love how this thread became so large over something so vague.

It's just, we cannot rest until we see that .5" thick, water-cooled, fold-out screen PowerBook G5 that floats above the desk on the water vapor it produces.

yoman
Jan 27, 2004, 11:03 AM
9am Pacific Time has come and gone. Nothing. :(

I guess i'll quit this rumor business. :(

Puppies
Jan 27, 2004, 11:03 AM
Well, on to next week? The PowerBooks really should be getting the G5 soon. There's no excuse now. They could have used the .13 micron 970 if they had wanted to, and they can certainlly use the .09 version.

At least annonce that the G4 revisions have been FIXED, and double the video RAM (and maybe give us a price cut?). SOMETHING.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 11:08 AM
9 AM EST?!
That's 6 AM Westside.

Maybe you're not up then - but there have been plenty of times when its happened.

A quick search shows this - just look at the times of the posts. Its because they get things ready for the East Coast Apple Stores - it would cause all sorts of problems if you introduced something right in the middle of the day.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=42669

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=40925

D :D

Some_Big_Spoon
Jan 27, 2004, 11:09 AM
I completely agree.. Some of us depend on Apple to get our jobs done. iPods do squat for that.

I hear ya.
I have my iPod, and I love my iPod, and I love my music- but Apple needs to slow down a bit and recognize what we love about them- their computers.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jan 27, 2004, 11:11 AM
No excuse.. aside from Apple's total monopoly on Apple products.. means they can take their own sweet time and do whatever they damn well please..

yay! a 6th color iPod.. that will certainly help me render in FCP..

Originally posted by Puppies
Well, on to next week? The PowerBooks really should be getting the G5 soon. There's no excuse now. They could have used the .13 micron 970 if they had wanted to, and they can certainlly use the .09 version.

At least annonce that the G4 revisions have been FIXED, and double the video RAM (and maybe give us a price cut?). SOMETHING.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 27, 2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by john123

Oh wait....

I have a friend at Apple, he doesn't tell me jack. (He hinted at the iPod before it first came out, but didn't give enough detail for me to even know it was going to be an mp3 player. Only in retrospect did I realize that his hint was in reference to it.)

My friend must be the only Apple employee who actually takes his NDA seriously. (And he would be in a position to know about new products. He doesn't even go "Oh, man, are you going to be surprised on Tuesday!" or anything similar, he is very nonchalant about those kind of things. He is really good at poker, too.

Bear
Jan 27, 2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Puppies

At least annonce that the G4 revisions have been FIXED, and double the video RAM (and maybe give us a price cut?). SOMETHING. I'd go with the incremental G4 updates for teh next round if they are soon.

Rememeber with a G5 Powerbook, it's not just the power and heat issues with the G5 processor, it's also the requirements for the support chips. And these all have space requirements.

So in my opinion, maybe G4 updates soon. A G5 powerbook somewhere between June and September.

Weekapaug
Jan 27, 2004, 11:19 AM
News From Apple Tomorrow
Tomorrow promises to be a “big” day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited…

This is like the sign at Joe's Crab Shack that says "free crab tomorrow" It's up there everyday, and so tomorrow never actually comes, and niether does the free crab.

I sick of the rumor-mongering, I'm ordering my dual 2,0 today.

sethypoo
Jan 27, 2004, 11:20 AM

So in my opinion, maybe G4 updates soon. A G5 powerbook somewhere between June and September.

Maybe the Paris Expo?

cubist
Jan 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
... ONE) no rebates at Apple store - to date I have always seen rebate 2-4 weeks before a rvision. ... Apple is still a business after all and OLD inventory must be moved. ...

This is possibly a good positive indicator, when it is present. I don't agree that its absence is a negative indicator, though.

The fact that the Apple Store Refurbs suddenly has a stock of all three G5 models (but no 1.8 duals), after having only here-and-there selections for months, is a positive indicator.

I don't know how these other guys do the inventory checks, but low stocks in the field are usually a pretty good indicator, too. I don't know what stocks are now.

Apple is going to have to resort to rebates or price cuts to move all those G4 iMacs, but a speed bump on the PMG5 won't hurt any sales.

uv23
Jan 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Weekapaug
News From Apple Tomorrow
Tomorrow promises to be a “big” day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited…

This is like the sign at Joe's Crab Shack that says "free crab tomorrow" It's up there everyday, and so tomorrow never actually comes, and niether does the free crab.

Best analogy ever. :)

JtheLemur
Jan 27, 2004, 11:36 AM
While we're waiting... I'd love to see a 20th Anniversary PowerBook. 12" higher-res screen, aluminum anodized in a different color (black!), mostly same specs as the current 12" PowerBook, but thin and light. No built-in Combo drive, but include an external FireWire-based one. Thin thin thin screen bezel making it smaller all around than the current 12" - which would mean a reduction in keyboard size, but so be it - it's a limited run product to be sold at a premium, right? Sell it for $1600. w00t!

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
News From Apple Tomorrow

I sick of the rumor-mongering, I'm ordering my dual 2,0 today.

It is just best to buy what you need when you are in the market.

I think that since Steve said a lot more to come this year. We can be confident that by Christmas, we will have new products. Don't think that I can miss on this one! :)

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 11:42 AM
like i said yesterday, here's what apple has in store for today:

I really love people with an "I told you so" attitude....oh wait, no I don't and neither does anyone else.

We were all hoping for something for the anniversary and it didn't come. Ok so we move on. No need to rub it in peoples faces.

john123
Jan 27, 2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ehurtley
I have a friend at Apple, he doesn't tell me jack. (He hinted at the iPod before it first came out, but didn't give enough detail for me to even know it was going to be an mp3 player. Only in retrospect did I realize that his hint was in reference to it.)

My friend must be the only Apple employee who actually takes his NDA seriously. (And he would be in a position to know about new products. He doesn't even go "Oh, man, are you going to be surprised on Tuesday!" or anything similar, he is very nonchalant about those kind of things. He is really good at poker, too.

Sounds like you might actually have a friend at Apple who KNOWS something.

I have a friend of a friend whose dad is apparently quite a high-up at Apple, but MY friend has never been told anything.

Leaks just aren't going to happen among people who have something to lose. And as Apple proved with the "worker bee" case, there's a lot to lose...

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Some_Big_Spoon
I completely agree.. Some of us depend on Apple to get our jobs done. iPods do squat for that.

Yeah darn apple for only having Dual 2ghz Power Macs, multiple displays, lots of software thats just been updated, etc.

Its not like the stuff they have can't do what you need it too now unless you are trying to simulate a nuclear blast or something. Seriously.

Wendy_Rebecca
Jan 27, 2004, 11:49 AM
20 years is not a cool anniversary, at least not in my books and knowning what a purist jobs is its probably not in his either.

It is if you celebrate it twice:

http://www.stat.cse.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~t-kawakami/japanese/machine/mac.jpg

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Some_Big_Spoon
No excuse.. aside from Apple's total monopoly on Apple products.. means they can take their own sweet time and do whatever they damn well please..

yay! a 6th color iPod.. that will certainly help me render in FCP..

Why is your FCP rendering not working all of a sudden? Just because Apple doesn't release things when you want them too doesn't mean they are holding out. No one said anything new was coming, just a few rumors. Yes we are kinda dissapointed, but it happens. I'd rather have them take their time and come out with something quality than shove it out the door too quickly just to appease a few hotheads.

Seriously sometimes people on these threads are like kids throwing tantrums:

I wan't my new PowerMac and I want it NOW! :mad:

Honestly...

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ehurtley

Kudos to your friend, its nice to see SOME people believe in keeping their word. Honestly if I worked at Apple I might tell a friend to hold off if they were going to purchase something new, but thats about it.

TranceClubMusic
Jan 27, 2004, 12:01 PM
Well - this is my last post until I order the new G5 and I begin posting notes on how fast it is.

I hate to admit it but I now have a lot more respect for Trance Cub Music. He kept it real and I think he is the only one who know something.

Thanks for the compliment- Appreciate it.
I know so many people say they have friends that work for Apple - but I honestly do (and NO not at the Apple Store)
I work for the US Government and my Boss talks to a person that does work for Apple. That person and I became good friends as the Courthouse where I work at changes over from PC to Mac.

In anycase, this was the person that told me March - at BEST maybe end of Febuary. I have not heard from this person since the disappointing NON Anniversary Show from Apple - as I am curious as to why NOTHING came from Apple.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to show off or act like I know it all. I've been quiet because I was getting in trouble with the Moderators of Macrumors - so now I just tend to keep to my own and watch from the sidelines.

In any case - Good Luck with your New G5 - \
Peace :D

jnasato
Jan 27, 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
While we're waiting... I'd love to see a 20th Anniversary PowerBook. 12" higher-res screen, aluminum anodized in a different color (black!), mostly same specs as the current 12" PowerBook, but thin and light. No built-in Combo drive, but include an external FireWire-based one. Thin thin thin screen bezel making it smaller all around than the current 12" - which would mean a reduction in keyboard size, but so be it - it's a limited run product to be sold at a premium, right? Sell it for $1600. w00t!
Yah, that's interesting- a 20th anniversary PowerBook. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple *surprised* us with a PowerBook, as they are moving in that direction.
Of course it would be released in March or sometime, haha.

simX
Jan 27, 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
BTW, just to clarify, its PPC 970 and its sucessor is expected to be the PPC 980... 750Fx is the "expected sucessor" for the G3 that is still used on the iBooks.

Maybe you haven't heard, but the iBooks have a G4 processor already. So the 750FX is pretty much out of the question.

agentmouthwash
Jan 27, 2004, 12:15 PM
I really think Apple is trying to break the routine of "of January is coming, I know they are going to release new computers so I am going to hold off my purchase until then."

It hurts sales. They probably want their new release schedule to be less predictable then it has been in the past.

Just my 2 cents.. Although I am probably wrong.

noel4r
Jan 27, 2004, 12:17 PM
at*

Imaginary? I'm not going to argue with you about this, it's so immature.

I hate going off topic anyway. I can't wait to say I told you so when I see updates this week :p

Didn't you say today at 9 AM? Now it's later this week.

neon
Jan 27, 2004, 12:18 PM
patience is a virtue, as they say. i have been reading this forum a little while now, and whilst i'm ever so slightly disappointed there is no big news right now... well, i can wait. it's certainly been interesting lurking around here :)

Soire
Jan 27, 2004, 12:22 PM
I'm looking to buy my first PowerMac, but am anxiously awaiting a new release of the G5s. I'm wondering if it's worth the wait of another few weeks, or if I should just bite the bullet and buy a dual 2Ghz. I'm looking for some guidance here. Thanks.

ps- is it really worth signing up for the apple developer plan if you only want the onetime hardware discount? I am a student.

QuiteSure
Jan 27, 2004, 12:25 PM
... my refurb G5 dual 2.0 from Smalldog when they were running a sale 2 weeks ago. My friend was pushing me to do it, but I resisted: "No," I said "new G5s are coming out any day and I don't want to be behind the curve."

Well, I could still be right and my friend could still be wrong, but January 20th, 24th and 27th have now (pretty much) come and gone without new product announcements. I'm thrilled with my new (refurbed) G5 and 23" Cineman Display, I saved $1100 on them new and life is sweet.

I get a kick out of Macrumors, but sometimes all these rumors cause more harm than good. If you need (want) a new computer buy the thing and get it over with! Instead of wasting your time reading (and, ahem, posting) to rumors sites, learn new software, write your memoirs, BE PRODUCTIVE!

jessefoxperry
Jan 27, 2004, 12:25 PM
What are you guys talking about?? Denying Apple will celebrate their own birthday? I'm suprised I'm the one to break the news to you guys, but The One I Waited For - Michael Dulin (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=5063969) was added to the iTunes Music Store today! Apple made this release with very little fanfare, but now's the chance!! Buy 10 copies before the iTunes servers become overloaded with visitors looking for Michael's latest!! Oh you of little faith...

whooleytoo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:30 PM

Ah, but if 2.6GHz G5's come out, they're hardly being targeted at existing G5 owners. (Not very many people about on 6 month machine turnover cycles!!).

They're being targeted at Mac users who haven't upgraded yet, for people who don't like buying Rev A machines, for PC users who'll compare clockspeed against available PCs and wonder why the Mac (at 'only' 2GHz) appears so slow by comparison, etc..

Most of all, the last one. Apple needs to shift the (long held) perception that Macs are slow, thanks largely to the delay in finding a successor to the G4, and the slow bus speeds it imposed. That's why they need to push the performance of this new architecture very, very aggressively.

mnoya
Jan 27, 2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, it is not really a rumor. But I keep reading that there is an expectation that a G5 iMac is the big thing. How could that be? Steve would never (history dictates) launch a older form factor with a new processor as the next thing worthy of 20 years of inovation. Here is my thought...
If I had to take a huge longshot guess and what would stand the industry on edge again? MacOS running on a Wintel box. The superbowl would be the place to launch it, multi-millions of viewers. Think about the commercial, it opens from the back of the Computer, preferably a DELL (person sitting and the desk), voiceover talking nondescriptly about the best way to compute, ease of use, as the camera pans around you see the user, smiling, happy and the shot finishes you see that on his screen is the start up screen for the Mac OS . Fade to white "voiceover 'Welcome to Macintosh, Again'"

Now this would be a huge leap but think about what it would do overnight to Windows.

C'mon people, lets dream big and change the world.

geerlingguy
Jan 27, 2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jessefoxperry

hmmm...

tick, tock, tick, tock...

:(

whooleytoo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Soire
ps- is it really worth signing up for the apple developer plan if you only want the onetime hardware discount? I am a student.

You'd have to get your calculator out to find that out!

For me, it was. 500$ (good for me with the euro->dollar exchange rate), gets me an up-to-20% discount on new hardware, plus a free copy of Panther. That alone makes it well worth the money for me.

I've often wondered if it'd be a good idea for Apple to do a deal like this for everyone; pay (say) 500 dollars, and get a free OS upgrade, a free download of all Apple software for a year, and one hardware discount. What they would lose in sales, they would probably make up several times over in volume. But what would I know... :)

Weekapaug
Jan 27, 2004, 12:37 PM
Wintel boxes dont have the horsepower to run OSX. That is why they run a cheap knock off called windoze.

Deefuzz
Jan 27, 2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mnoya
Ok, it is not really a rumor. But I keep reading that there is an expectation that a G5 iMac is the big thing. How could that be? Steve would never (history dictates) launch a older form factor with a new processor as the next thing worthy of 20 years of inovation. Here is my thought...
If I had to take a huge longshot guess and what would stand the industry on edge again? MacOS running on a Wintel box. The superbowl would be the place to launch it, multi-millions of viewers. Think about the commercial, it opens from the back of the Computer, preferably a DELL (person sitting and the desk), voiceover talking nondescriptly about the best way to compute, ease of use, as the camera pans around you see the user, smiling, happy and the shot finishes you see that on his screen is the start up screen for the Mac OS . Fade to white "voiceover 'Welcome to Macintosh, Again'"

Now this would be a huge leap but think about what it would do overnight to Windows.

Fantastic...I love the idea! It would be a nice surprise as well!

ogminlo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:39 PM

Nope, Apple is not running a Super Bowl ad this year (Pepsi is the one paying for the iTunes promo kickoff). And if Apple sells OS X for Wintel boxes, kiss Apple goodbye. Apple is a hardware company that uses killer software to move its real cash-cow, the hardware. Think about it. iTunes sells iPods. OS X, iLife, and the Pro Apps sell Macs.

You'll see a two button mouse before you see OS X for CISC comps.

Bear
Jan 27, 2004, 12:41 PM
Wintel boxes dont have the horsepower to run OSX. That is why they run a cheap knock off called windoze. Actually, Windows takes more horsepower to run, not less. Windows is rather bloated.

Weekapaug
Jan 27, 2004, 12:46 PM
Actually, Windows takes more horsepower to run, not less. Windows is rather bloated.

I guess with all the built in bugs and viruses it would be rather bloated.....

simX
Jan 27, 2004, 12:48 PM
blah blah blah OS X on Intel blah blah blah

How about let's not and say we did?

kwtneo
Jan 27, 2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ogminlo
Nope, Apple is not running a Super Bowl ad this year (Pepsi is the one paying for the iTunes promo kickoff). And if Apple sells OS X for Wintel boxes, kiss Apple goodbye. Apple is a hardware company that uses killer software to move its real cash-cow, the hardware. Think about it. iTunes sells iPods. OS X, iLife, and the Pro Apps sell Macs.

They killed project Star Trek in 1993:
http://oshistory.nerisoft.com/startrek.htm

don't think Steve is gonna dig this one out of its grave.....

geerlingguy
Jan 27, 2004, 12:49 PM

Ha ha ha :D

<wipe away tears of laughter at the thought of Apple finally doing the right thing with the $70 mouse!>

Ha ha ha :D

mnoya
Jan 27, 2004, 12:54 PM

I understand skepticism but if Steve was going to drop a bomb like this do you think he would let out that there was going to be a commerical for this. Do you think that a company that has billions in liquid assests and no real debt couldn't buy a little secrecy for a week or two.

Sony and Toshiba are aligning with IBM to work with the PowerPC and rumor has it that the future X-Box could be powerpc based. So it is really a large leap?

these are rumors, feel free to dream a bit. Apple rarely follows standard business practices and this does not cut into true Mac lovers, rather it opens the door to the people who only care about how much the hardware costs. Hey, you can build your own Mac. Profit on OS is in volume and Steve understands that, if not there would be no iTMS

I am full steam ahead today

redeye
Jan 27, 2004, 12:57 PM
as long as what comes out when it finally comes out ... works ... ya know?

apple_underware
Jan 27, 2004, 01:11 PM
by Sears at twelve oaks mall in novi, mich.

I am so funny!

Photorun
See my previous post (page two) about the hype for today.

Bzzzt. Nada. Next!

agreenster
This has been settled out of Steve's own lips last year. I dont feel like looking it up because you people should be stupid enough to look it up on your own.

Here's a sum up:

Steve said they have had an internal build (marklar, was it?) of OSX for x86 since OSX has been in existance. It was a back up plan when they were having problems with Motorola getting them faster chips. The second they struck the G5 deal with IBM, it went back into the closet. They will continue to keep it under development, but see no need in the near futre to release it because of their strong relationship with IBM.

OSX on x86 would have been a last-shot ditch effort to keep Apple alive. As it is, they dont need it anymore. IBM is starting to ramp up PPC for the consumer, and in a few years, PPC will overwhelm x86 in terms of speed.

In my industry (CG) many studios (large and small) are beginning to port all of their linux tools over to OSX and are switching to faster G5's. (G5's, with GCC compiling, are faster in rendering in PR Renderman than on any x86 processor) And these are large studios.

I must say Im suprised we havent seen a speed-bumped G5 yet.

mnoya
Jan 27, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by simX
How about let's not and say we did?

I a little harsh don't you think. If you are satisified with the way things are then why write software to try and improve the things that we do. Why write apps to give us our own identity in chats, why woudl you care about how much memory is being used?

Sorry, had to respond. Mac people should be much more optimistic.

RndmAxess
Jan 27, 2004, 01:27 PM
Deleted

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Soire
I'm looking to buy my first PowerMac, but am anxiously awaiting a new release of the G5s. I'm wondering if it's worth the wait of another few weeks, or if I should just bite the bullet and buy a dual 2Ghz. I'm looking for some guidance here. Thanks.

Well since I'm a math major and have nothing better to do, lets take a look...

Dual 2ghz G5
Regular Price: $2999
Edu price: $2699
Dev discount price: $2498 (including cost of membership)

So thats $200 right there

PLUS you can save $50,$250, or $400 on displays
$60-$100 on iPods

and other accessories (as long as you buy it all at once)

Considering that the price of the Power Mac alone saves your $200 i'd say go for it. Not to mention with a total cost less, your sales tax should be less too!

Mr Maui
Jan 27, 2004, 01:51 PM
Here's my thoughts ...

SJ is sitting around in Cupertino, enjoying the fact that everyone is trying desperately to figure out what he has up his sleeve. He is enjoying all of the hype and publicity. He is patting himself on the back for keeping things under wraps. He is enjoying watchin people (especially those here on the rumor sites) squirm.

Bottom line ...

If you're a real Mac enthusiast and a loyal Mac person, you're not gonna ditch your Mac no matter what SJ does or doesn't do, release or not release, say or not say ...

And for the record ...

SJ KNOWS THIS!!!

So ... in conclusion ... he is gonna do what he's always done ...

He'll release what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants ... and we as loyal Mac people will continue to scoop them up as soon as they are released ... whenever that is ... and whatever they are ...

:p

<just an opinion>

Note: posted this under "New PMacs on or about the 20th" also.

From Win to Mac
Jan 27, 2004, 01:55 PM
To RailHead Design with Love:
"You suck ! Get out of my face... " :D

It's really too bad, I've been waiting for almost a month to get a new G5, and still nothing... Oh well, let's hope for tomorrow ! :rolleyes: But I still like you, RailHead !! Probably Apple wanted to piss us all off and it's gonna happen tomorrow... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

<cough/>

fpnc
Jan 27, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well since I'm a math major and have nothing better to do, lets take a look...

Dual 2ghz G5
Regular Price: $2999
Edu price: $2699
Dev discount price: $2498 (including cost of membership)

So thats $200 right there

PLUS you can save $50,$250, or $400 on displays
$60-$100 on iPods

and other accessories (as long as you buy it all at once)

Considering that the price of the Power Mac alone saves your $200 i'd say go for it. Not to mention with a total cost less, your sales tax should be less too!

I'm not certain what ADC programs are offered specifically for students, however, you should note that the standard Select membership ($500 annually) does NOT come with any hardware discounts. However, after the first year you can renew your membership and get one hardware discount (so the total "cost" is an initial year of membership and a renewal or $1000 total for the first and second year of membership). You need to be a Premier member ($3500 annually) to get the hardware discounts without a previous year of membership.

But, as I said earlier, perhaps student ADC members get a different deal.

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by fpnc
I'm not certain what ADC programs are offered specifically for students, however, you should note that the standard Select membership ($500 annually) does NOT come with any hardware discounts. However, after the first year you can renew your membership and get one hardware discount (so the total "cost" is an initial year of membership and a renewal or $1000 total for the first and second year of membership). You need to be a Premier member ($3500 annually) to get the hardware discounts without a previous year of membership.

But, as I said earlier, perhaps student ADC members get a different deal.

Student discount gives you a one time hardware discount. It is available as soon as you have verified your eligibility. The cost is $99 a year.

geerlingguy
Jan 27, 2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by RndmAxess
Give it up. It's over.

No 20th Anniversary anything.

yup... i've become pessimistic also
:(

jdiddy24
Jan 27, 2004, 02:44 PM
To be honest, I'm sick of these rumors being incorrect. Apple designing a projector... not! new laptops, we'll see. Something new for the 24th, bull crap! Something happening on the 27th, negative... you give me something that makes sense and i'll give you another chance... but this is strike three... so post things that makes sense and that are from reliable sources like appleinsider... not from some bull **** source like railmyass.

thanks

mnoya
Jan 27, 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jdiddy24
To be honest, I'm sick of these rumors being incorrect. Apple designing a projector... not! new laptops, we'll see. Something new for the 24th, bull crap! Something happening on the 27th, negative... you give me something that makes sense and i'll give you another chance... but this is strike three... so post things that makes sense and that are from reliable sources like appleinsider... not from some bull **** source like railmyass.

thanks
What you are asking for is impossible to know until after there is verification or an announment. Rumors are just that. If I may be so bold here is the definition of Rumor
A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.

Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

So to understand you, you are asking for verified rumors? Those would be facts.

Need more happiness here.

Krizoitz
Jan 27, 2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by jdiddy24

thanks
1) stop swearing, none of us want to have to see it

2) this is a RUMOR site, if you want for sure things log on to MacCentral for news

3) AppleInsider, in my experience is not as reliable as MacRumors, although better than some (MacWhispers, etc)

simX
Jan 27, 2004, 03:02 PM
I a little harsh don't you think. If you are satisified with the way things are then why write software to try and improve the things that we do. Why write apps to give us our own identity in chats, why woudl you care about how much memory is being used?

Sorry, had to respond. Mac people should be much more optimistic.

Mac people are more optimistic when doing something doesn't spell the death of the company to which they are loyal.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that creating Mac OS X for x86 processors is only going to fuel Mac sales. Despite the fact that Mac hardware is superior, 95% of the world doesn't care to spend the extra money to get that extra quality, so the loss in sales of Apple's hardware would more than offset the gain in revenue from Mac OS X. I would even be skeptical if many Wintel people would actually even buy Mac OS X to run on their computer when they've been acquiescent with Windows for so long.

Not only that, but Mac OS X on Macs is extremely reliably precisely because Apple controls the hardware. Releasing it for x86 systems would only be asking for trouble, since the hardware systems are not a constant in the Wintel world, so the reliability of Mac OS X would go down the tubes. And that's not an appearance that Apple would like to have.

So, in short, no, it wasn't really that harsh. It was just reality.