PDA

View Full Version : Will I eventually be able to run a 4850 or 4870 in my new Mac Pro?

AdiosVista
Oct 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
Just bought a couple weeks ago, 2.8ghz 8-core Mac Pro. My only complaint is the wimpy 2600 XT that it came with. I know I could put in the 3870 or 8800GT but that would be a step down from my windows pc that I just switched from, which was running 4850. I've heard the rumors that Mac will soon support the 4800 series ATI cards but my question is will the card work on my current Mac Pro or would this upgrade only be for the new Mac Pros that everyone is guessing will come out in January?

Eidorian
Oct 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=550708

I have a good feeling it'll support all versions of the Mac Pro.

Alith
Oct 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
Who knows? The only info about this was right here on MacRumors about 6-8 weeks ago. I've been checking regularly since then but nobody else seems to have picked up on this rumour that ATI 'confirmed' 4870s 'soon'.

This was exciting when we heard it but even if it's true, by the time they actually make an appearance in a box, at your house, there will probably be a new generation of cards and we'll be in the same boat again.