Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mparkes

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Spangle, WA
So I go into BestBuy to get my son an 8GB Touch on Saturday, and didn't notice until he brought it to my attention yesterday that it didn't have the "App store" as advertised on TV. I checked and it was at version 1 software!?! And then in really looking the thing over it is the &%$# older model. (black bezel, not chrome)... So stores are selling the old versions at the same price as the newer ones? Do I have to order direct from Apple to get a new one? Really ticks me off.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I think most stores still have not got rid of the old models

or have not got them in

I seen the old ones in HMV at the same price too, as the new.

Disgrace really

Same with macs really, you would think if news ones were due they would lower the price to get rid of the older models

Not the case here ;-(

Bob Chadwick

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
Best Buy has different prices on their web site, albeit slight, on the different generations.

Maybe somebody bulled the wrong box.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Best Buy has different prices on their web site, albeit slight, on the different generations.

Maybe somebody bulled the wrong box.

Moo! ;)

You are likely correct in your assumtion. Unless the person working at Best Buy was trying to pull a fast one on you, it is likely they were working on old information, or made a mistake in pricing / sales.

image.php

gean

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
beware (Caveat emptor) at best buy

from my experience i would be very careful at best buy. (Caveat emptor) I had a pc that failed, first thing that wanted to do was CHARGE me said it was software, I told the employee to wait a second and then the unit just stopped. He turned it on again and did the same thing....then he said it would be a month to get it back. I wan't happy. When i got it back it was dusty and i brought it home did the the same thing. I went back to best buy was told that it would be replaced under warranty, and the they change there policy to inform people who purchased the protection plan that it didn't cover software (this is how they used to make it sound). they know that it was rare for hardware failures i said fine. while i was waiting for them to check out the new unit a guy buying a new computer walked up. i ask him if he was informed that the warranty didn't include software He said no! the assistant manage who was taking care of me turned red as a beat.... i haven't ben in a worst buy since. this was spring 2004.

note i know use imac.:D pc i used for a few thing only.

sorry for the long post.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So I go into BestBuy to get my son an 8GB Touch on Saturday, and didn't notice until he brought it to my attention yesterday that it didn't have the "App store" as advertised on TV. I checked and it was at version 1 software!?! And then in really looking the thing over it is the &%$# older model. (black bezel, not chrome)... So stores are selling the old versions at the same price as the newer ones? Do I have to order direct from Apple to get a new one? Really ticks me off.
The local Best Buy I visit is selling the Old iPod touch at $209 for 8gb.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

You should have been able to tell from the box. The 1st gen comes in a black box with a picture of the iPod playing music on the front (the earliest ones had Macy Gray, the later ones had John Lennon) and with 'iPod touch' and the Apple logo embossed on the sides. The 2nd gen comes in a thin, clear plastic box (like the iPod nano) with a sticker over it that shows the home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.