Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommoran

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I get a sabbatical from my job for about six weeks, and I am interested in using the time to learn how to create iPhone Apps.

Can anyone list some learning providers in the US?

Thanks.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
You didn't bother looking far did you?

developer.apple.com

Apple has a whole site full of free software (the iPhone SDK) and tons of articles and sample code to get you started.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I get a sabbatical from my job for about six weeks, and I am interested in using the time to learn how to create iPhone Apps.

Can anyone list some learning providers in the US?

Thanks.

We have a great community of developers here on Macrumors,and a specail forum titled "iPhone programming". Some may have the time to help point you in the right direction to get started. I would also recommend looking at developer.apple.com , join up, and read some of the doccumentation they provide.

HTH

image.php

kidlazer

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Ok, so i really want to learn how to do this and i have a PC. I did actually put up a topic with this exact question, and i now know you HAVE to have a Mac.

But, this seems like something to be really cool and be apart of but i just need to know what can Mac external hardrives do and where can i buy them?

or maybe is that too desparate and i should wait for apple to create a PC version or just give up.

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
You can find the "beta" of the Pragmatic Programmers iPhone development book here:

http://pragprog.com/titles/amiphd/iphone-sdk-development

I know of a few other books in progress, but this is the first I have seen available. The Apple documentation and examples can be somewhat daunting if you don't have any Mac development experience. As always, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X is a great starter for Cocoa basics.

Best of luck

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok, so i really want to learn how to do this and i have a PC. I did actually put up a topic with this exact question, and i now know you HAVE to have a Mac.

But, this seems like something to be really cool and be apart of but i just need to know what can Mac external hardrives do and where can i buy them?

or maybe is that too desparate and i should wait for apple to create a PC version or just give up.

Most external hard drives for the PC will work with the Mac. If you're asking about a system, even a Mac mini should be plenty to get you started. I work from a two-year-old MacBook with much lower specs than the newest mini.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a PC version. The iPhone SDK shares many frameworks with the Mac OS. Porting the development environment to Windows would be a major task. Also, Apple doesn't do many things that ensure they sell fewer Macs ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.