PDA

View Full Version : Foods you refuse to eat?

InvalidUserID
Oct 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
After reading a few other threads (Bacon & Anyone not eaten at) I got to thinking:

Is there any foods that you refuse to eat? And why?

For me, I refuse to eat veal. I saw a news report on it and then read up on it further and just couldn't bring myself to eat it. A recent date took me to a very nice (expensive!) restaurant and we were seated at the chef's table and one of the dishes on the prix fixe menu was veal. I was embarrassed but I asked the chef to substitute something and he was gracious enough to not give me any grief.

larapumkin
Oct 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
insects..eek
i eat almost everything thinking there's nothing a human cant really eat:p

Abstract
Oct 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
Do you mean "refuse" due to some issue you have with animal cruelty, or "refuse" because you physically can't stomach the thought of eating a particular food?

For me, I can't eat eggs because I want to throw up when I eat or smell it.

I have a moral objection to how we treat animals, particularly ones we eat. If you don't like veal because you saw a documentary on TV about it, you should feel the same about eating nearly ANY animal bred for consumption in the Western world. However, since I do eat meat on a fairly regular basis, I don't really feel like I'm in a position to say anything.

bigandy
Oct 6, 2008, 07:26 PM
I love veal. It's a fantastic meat. It's just so hard to come by here. Maybe I should move to continental Europe. :o

Mushrooms, sweetcorn, aubergine, butternut squash, millet, gherkin, I could go on with my list of foods I can't stand.

iGary
Oct 6, 2008, 07:26 PM
Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.

That said, I won't eat beef liver. Yuck.

bigandy
Oct 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.

That reminded me of a quote (I can't remember the source): "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

:D

Samarium
Oct 6, 2008, 07:30 PM
Insects with chocolate syrup on top. :(

Saikou
Oct 6, 2008, 07:30 PM
I can't stand brussels sprouts.

tresbien
Oct 6, 2008, 07:31 PM
how could you hate mushrooms!? I love them, so good!

I don't eat meat. Its pretty disgusting. I used to be vegan, so I have a hard time eating eggs and dairy, although I am eating both..I'd like to change that soon!

hmm...I hate yams. I think they are gross. I prefer my root veggies to be savory, not sweet. Also sauerkraut...the most repulsive food ever. It smells terrible as well!!

iJohnHenry
Oct 6, 2008, 07:31 PM

Liver and onions?? Are you mad???

Or, chicken livers, on a bed of Chinese rice.

Melrose
Oct 6, 2008, 07:33 PM

Generally, I'd agree with you but once in a while they really hit the spot.

In general I would say Lima Beans. I've never liked them; Whether or not I'd refuse to eat them I'm not so sure, but I really don't like the.

And veal, insect, worms, etc etc. Snakes, Guinea Pigs, Tarantulas. I'm glad I don't live in a South America rain forest.

Mindflux
Oct 6, 2008, 07:34 PM
Mushrooms
Cherries

Sobering
Oct 6, 2008, 07:39 PM
Tofu.

rpaloalto
Oct 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
Liver, lima beans, or Brussels sprouts.
I just cant, or wont eat these 3.:p

I think the total refusal not to eat them. Is not entirely due to them tasting bad in my opinion. I eat a lot of things that I don't like, out of respect for my host or my wife's hard work. But more to do with remembering, being forced to eat them as child.

gauchogolfer
Oct 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
No Rocky Mountain Oysters for me, thank you very much.

.Andy
Oct 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
Any meat whatsoever.

Sobering
Oct 6, 2008, 07:43 PM
I can't eat beef. Ew.

noaccess
Oct 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
If it ain't mozzarella, or parmesan, I won't eat cheese.

If the food I'm eating has traces of mustard, it's not coming anywhere near me. Same goes for mayo.

Let's see, hate lamb, dislike the taste.

Dark chocolate, licorice, no thanks.

Someone here mentioned insects, sounds gross, but I'd try it tho.

Saikou
Oct 6, 2008, 07:46 PM
Also, I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to try Fugu.

Fugu (河豚 : ふぐ?) is the Japanese word for pufferfish and is also a Japanese dish prepared from the meat of pufferfish (normally species of Takifugu, Lagocephalus, or Sphoeroides) or porcupinefish of the genus Diodon. Because pufferfish is lethally poisonous if prepared incorrectly, fugu has become one of the most celebrated and notorious dishes in Japanese cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

Samarium
Oct 6, 2008, 07:46 PM
I eat a lot of thing that I don't like, out of respect for my host or my wife's hard work.

I'm like so telling your wife about that. :p

EV0LUTION
Oct 6, 2008, 07:51 PM
beef or chicken... just don't like the taste.

gadgetgirl85
Oct 6, 2008, 07:55 PM
Most fruit and vegetables, seafood (other than canned tuna). I'm a pretty fussy eater

Samarium
Oct 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
Does drink's count too? If they do, I hate beer.

Mindflux
Oct 6, 2008, 07:59 PM
Does drink's count too? If they do, I hate beer.

Failing at life, it's never good.

pscoble
Oct 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
Most fruit and vegetables, seafood (other than canned tuna). I'm a pretty fussy eater

You wont eat seafood but you will eat canned tuna? Thats just one I can't understand. Yuck-o if I see anyone with some canned tuna products coming towards me I'm out. The smell, texture, taste is just bad.

nidserz
Oct 6, 2008, 08:01 PM

+1
im not a fan of veggies :( i want to try and change that but its so meehhhh
oh and i cant stand rice.
im just quite fussy when it comes to eating as well

Samarium
Oct 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
Failing at life, it's never good.
I love Tequila and Vodka but I really don't drink beer at all.

Dagless
Oct 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
I refuse to eat fish or lamb, don't like the taste at all. I don't eat too many varieties of meat come to think of it. Chickens are the worst off around me :D.

Also some vegetables, the ones that smell like pumps at least.

bigandy
Oct 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
Someone here mentioned insects, sounds gross, but I'd try it tho.

Really (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pand0ra23/249344368/)?

Abstract
Oct 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
Also, I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to try Fugu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

I would. Just give me the opportunity. ;)

kabunaru
Oct 6, 2008, 08:42 PM
McDonalds, Burger King, Hot Dogs, KFC, basically American foods.

odinsride
Oct 6, 2008, 08:45 PM
I would have to say the only common food that truly repulses me would have to be tomatoes.

ZiggyPastorius
Oct 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'd go with beer, tomatoes (ARGH! The most disgusting food EVER. They're so dslfsjkfdlfhsd. /rant), milk chocolate (Screw that wannabe chocolate crap. Dark chocolate = win. Especially good 70+% Cocoa dark chocolate <3).

JNB
Oct 6, 2008, 09:05 PM
I refuse to eat any of you.

ravenvii
Oct 6, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yam/sweet potatoes/whatever you call them.

Ewwwwwwwwwww.

ZiggyPastorius
Oct 6, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yam/sweet potatoes/whatever you call them.

Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Sweet potatoes with marshmallow and brown sugar inside is extremely scrumptious :D

bc008
Oct 6, 2008, 09:13 PM
insects,
eggs, (unless in something.. eg: french toast)
tomatoes,
and meat, but for morals.

im pretty picky :) a lot less so than when i was really little.

ravenvii
Oct 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
Sweet potatoes with marshmallow and brown sugar inside is extremely scrumptious :D

*gags*

CorvusCamenarum
Oct 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
Mushrooms - they're slimy and gross.
Macaroni & cheese - too much childhood trauma stemming from the fact that most nights that's about all there was. Not even "real" mac & cheese either, it was more the generic version (this was before Wal-Mart store brands and the like) of the Kraft nuclear orange variety that has less nutritional value and taste than drywall. To this day the smell of it makes me nauseous.
Green beans - see above, but I can eat them if they're fresh and actual effort went into the preparation and not the limp canned sort.

The missus' list can be basically summed as: "just about anything I like". ;)

Sweet potatoes with marshmallow and brown sugar inside is extremely scrumptious
Is this a regular thing for you, or just around Thanksgiving? That's usually when I get it.

odinsride
Oct 6, 2008, 09:31 PM

+1 It's like a dessert almost

Abstract
Oct 6, 2008, 09:35 PM

When I read that, I thought more people would reply with "What?!?! I've never heard of sweet potato with marshmallows and sugar", but I was wrong. :confused:

brian9271
Oct 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
I love eating noodles, and I might just add pigs gonads to my list, depending on what toppings there are, maybe some chocolate added on top with water to make it nice and squishy :D :D lolololol

But I hate eating like muesli, I have to eat it every every morning, and I hate eating rice with water, no taste at all, eat that every Sunday morning, sucks.

hayduke
Oct 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
I suppose there are some things I would have to give serious consideration too before I consumed them, but in general I will eat (and like!) most anything. That being said, the only thing that has made me physically ill after simply placing it in my mouth is natto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D

Really, just awful stuff and I really enjoy all other forms of Japanese cuisine. I've now tried it three times and my opinion is unchanged. The crazy thing is that this is a very common part of most Japanese diets...for breakfast!

ZiggyPastorius
Oct 6, 2008, 09:54 PM
*gags*

:D

Is this a regular thing for you, or just around Thanksgiving? That's usually when I get it.

It's not a regular thing, but it's not like a holiday thing, either...basically, I go out to my grandparents' house every once in a while, and sometimes during those visits we have that. It's the only way I can stand to eat sweet potatoes :P

+1 It's like a dessert almost

I know!

When I read that, I thought more people would reply with "What?!?! I've never heard of sweet potato with marshmallows and sugar", but I was wrong. :confused:

Heh :) I've never heard of sweet potatoes without marshmallows and brown sugar (not just regular sugar!) ;)

Sideonecincy
Oct 6, 2008, 09:58 PM
The list of foods I won't eat is longer than foods I will eat...but ones that people really find weird is that I don't eat cake, chocolate, ice cream, strawberries or cherries.

Bfat567
Oct 6, 2008, 10:01 PM

Your not alone i perfer liquor (mountain dew and vodka:D) i will donw a beer if its the only thing around to get drunk off of though.

as to the thread

anything jerky

Saikou
Oct 6, 2008, 10:18 PM
I suppose there are some things I would have to give serious consideration too before I consumed them, but in general I will eat (and like!) most anything. That being said, the only thing that has made me physically ill after simply placing it in my mouth is natto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D

Really, just awful stuff and I really enjoy all other forms of Japanese cuisine. I've now tried it three times and my opinion is unchanged. The crazy thing is that this is a very common part of most Japanese diets...for breakfast!

This stuff is vile. It's like chewing on a lugie that smells like feet. Fermented soy beans... Yeah, no thanks.

rhett7660
Oct 6, 2008, 10:25 PM
Liver..... ughhhhhhhh

Jack Flash
Oct 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
Licorice

Doctor Q
Oct 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
Liver..... ughhhhhhhh
Your opinion matches mine on that one. I also don't like cooked orange vegetables (why ruin a wonderful crunchy carrot by heating it?) and I like eggplant only if it's eggplant tempura, but other than those I'm OK with most food. I've even eaten ants at an exotic restaurant, although it was more of a dare than a food choice.

One food I just couldn't finish eating was... a Simpsons donut! It was when some 7-Eleven stores turned themselves into fake Kwik-E-Marts as a publicity stunt, and they had donuts made by putting cake frosting on an oversized glazed donut. It was so sickeningly sweet that I couldn't eat more than the first bite. I would have traded it for a cooked carrot!

Chuckypool
Oct 6, 2008, 11:02 PM

I'm with you - they're Satan's vegetable

jaw04005
Oct 6, 2008, 11:17 PM
I can't stomach "whipped" things such as Cool Whip, whipped cake icing, etc. It's a texture issue.

And I don't particularly care for peas (green or black-eyed) or mayonnaise (or anything with noticeable mayo).

Randman
Oct 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
Pickles. Can't stand 'em.

Love cucumbers tho.

dmr727
Oct 6, 2008, 11:28 PM
Balls. I won't eat balls.

Sorry. I'll try almost anything, but I draw the line at balls.

Translation for you people across the pond:

Bollocks. I won't eat bollocks.

Sorry, I'll try almost anything, but I draw the line at bollocks.

;)

RITZFit
Oct 6, 2008, 11:39 PM
Liver...just can't do it

jackiecanev2
Oct 6, 2008, 11:55 PM
Well I'm vegan but aside from that I won't eat

cake (or anything cake-like)
beets
walnuts
sugar smacks

montanachad
Oct 6, 2008, 11:57 PM
Anything from McDonald's, or any fast food, if I can help it. When you're poor and somebody offers you food it's hard not to say no. :o

Iscariot
Oct 7, 2008, 01:26 AM
I refuse to eat petroleum jelly, bundles of speaker wire, rusty nails, swatches of fabric, and coins that are older than I am.

it5five
Oct 7, 2008, 01:31 AM
Any meat whatsoever.

Same. I'm pretty open beyond that.

I won't eat tomatoes unless they are diced. I can't stand the texture otherwise.

jb60606
Oct 7, 2008, 01:47 AM
sprouts, mushrooms, fish, meat (the last two, unless the occasion requires) and any food/liquid with too many ingredients I've never heard of.

Call it paranoia/phobia, but I'm starting to lean on a more "raw-food" diet (vegetables/fruit straight from the ground) these days. You just can't trust anyone with your health anymore.

pimentoLoaf
Oct 7, 2008, 02:20 AM
* Brussels Sprouts
* Scallops
* Liver :eek: / liverwurst :eek: / stuff with liver :eek:

And then there's Okra, aka Pond Scum.

Counterfit
Oct 7, 2008, 04:17 AM
1: mushrooms. I will make exceptions, (Eenoki mushrooms are pretty good in miso soup,) but the button mushroom (agaricus bisporus) used everywhere is vile, even more so when cooked.
2: anything alive. If it's still moving, it's not going in my mouth.
3: Lobsters. I like the meat, but a: it's too much work, and b: I don't like it when my food is staring at me
4: anchovies.
5: liver
6: horseradish
There are other foods I don't particularly like, but I'll eat them if I don't have other options: stuffed peppers, certain varieties of white rice, salmon, things with mustard.

I'm surprised no one has said sushi yet. I tried it once, and did manage to swallow it (a natural aversion to uncooked food?), but the cooked varieties are pretty good depending on what's in/on them.

ZiggyPastorius
Oct 7, 2008, 05:40 AM
The list of foods I won't eat is longer than foods I will eat...but ones that people really find weird is that I don't eat cake, chocolate, ice cream, strawberries or cherries.

We poke fun at my girlfriend, too, about this. She absolutely despises chocolate, cookies, pie, cake, et cetera.

doubleohseven
Oct 7, 2008, 06:42 AM
I can't eat anything with soy sauce or vinegar on it, especially Salt and Vinegar chips. Ugh. And I can not eat sushi with Wasabi. That stuff is chili to the power of 10. :D

odinsride
Oct 7, 2008, 07:15 AM
I'm surprised no one has said sushi yet. I tried it once, and did manage to swallow it (a natural aversion to uncooked food?), but the cooked varieties are pretty good depending on what's in/on them.

Sushi is awesome!

takao
Oct 7, 2008, 07:17 AM
anything Anise flavoured

organs (unless it's a small amount of pig liver inside of sausages)

seafood which looks like seafood (i prefer my fish canned or in rectangular pieces.. except anchovies) ... guess that comes from living in a land locked country

funghi ... unless being small parts in a sauce

on the other side i like brussel sprouts, veal and cooked carrots (finely put in 1/8 pieces lenghtwise with a little bit of butter and italian spices ... sweet sensation from heaven ... especially when complementing pig medaillions in pepper sauce with croquettes )

satty
Oct 7, 2008, 07:18 AM
I'm with you - they're Satan's vegetable

You obviously never saw Blackadder otherwise you would know that the Devil's favourite food is carrots :)

I actually put brussel sprouts on top of my favourite vegetable list... alongside with red cabbage. And going through all the other posts, I am wondering why people don't eat liver. I love liver.

Okay, this one is about what I don't eat: Bacon, Ham. Snails, snakes and all the other funny stuff they try to sell next to Bejing's WangFuJing.

I also skip gravel hot or cold, lump of freezing poison - look for "The four Yorkshiremen" on youtube :D

yrsonicdeath
Oct 7, 2008, 07:24 AM
Seafood, not including fish. I love fish, but can't stand shrimp, shellfish, etc.

I also don't care to eat any sort of organ. They may be good for all I know, but I just couldn't do it.

Les Kern
Oct 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
Sweetbreads.
Neither sweet nor a bread.

Melrose
Oct 7, 2008, 09:18 AM
Balls. I won't eat balls.

Sorry. I'll try almost anything, but I draw the line at balls.

Sweetbreads.
Neither sweet nor a bread.

I wouldn't have known this unless my dad told me.

wvuwhat
Oct 7, 2008, 09:20 AM
No pickles or mustard...ever.

iShater
Oct 7, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not a very picky eater, except I avoid certain foods that are not "kosher" (not literally) :D

I am surprised how many people can't stand tomatoes, my wife, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and at least one of my friends are in that boat.

I LOVE tomatoes on the other hand. :p

Edit: Veal! After I found out more about how it is produced, I refuse to eat it. So probably Foua Gra (sp?) would fall in that list too.

Much Ado
Oct 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
Garlic.

Food of the devil.

JMN357
Oct 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
Peas
Beans

Rhosfelt
Oct 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
I might seem picky with my list:

Pork - disgusting
Tomatoes
Sea food (its the smell I almost throw up walking through any green market, yet I'll eat fresh water fish because they are not as pungent in smell)
Pears/Peaches - yuck

BoyBach
Oct 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'm the least fussy eater I know, whilst I'll grudgingly eat pork, I draw the line at pork sausages. Eurgh!

devilot
Oct 7, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hm, this is tricky for me because I can appreciate and like to try things if prepared well, but even "common" or familiar food items can become grotesque if prepared poorly, ya know? :p

Don't think I can really wrap my mind around eating blood.
Or "balls" as others have mentioned, too. Though I've nibbled on fish eyeballs before.
Insects would probably creep me out too much.
Turtles would be hard for me, too.
I don't like a lot of liver foods, but I do like pâté.

Hm... not sure what else...

Samarium
Oct 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
My post was deleted. :( But, I would like to add Tomatoes and Pineapple to my list. Yuk!

bartelby
Oct 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
Plums. I don't like plums.

I'm not too sure about offal. It would depend on how it was cooked.

I don't really like aniseed either, but that won't stop me having Arak with a nice Lebanese meal...

Surely
Oct 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
Raw tomatoes. They look so good, but I just can't stand how they taste. Cooked tomatoes, however, are tasty.

CILANTRO. The worst herb EVER. Disgusting. Tastes like perfume. Definitely at the top of my list of things I won't eat.

BoyBach
Oct 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
Raw tomatoes. They look so good, but I just can't stand how they taste.

Tomatoes need a sprinkle of salt. Plus a dash of balsamic vinegar and some rocket - mmmm!

Much Ado
Oct 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
No-one else for garlic? You all eat the food of venom breath?

redwarrior
Oct 7, 2008, 12:11 PM
Garlic has too many health benefits to pass it up, imo! When I eat foods like that, I take a digestive enzyme, no more dragon breath! :D

BoyBach
Oct 7, 2008, 12:15 PM

If you dislike the pungency of garlic, I'd recommend roasting some. They becomes deliciously sweet.

heehee
Oct 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think there is anything I refuse to eat except for insects. I love food too much. :p

bartelby
Oct 7, 2008, 12:17 PM
I decided a few years back to eat stuff I didn't like in the past as tastes change. I can now go anywhere to eat and not be stuck for choice.

Re my previous post, I will eat plums and offal. They're not a favourite, but I will eat them.

840quadra
Oct 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
Anything with raw Mayo or especially Miracle Whip. The later smells mildly like decaying flesh,or bad BO to me when left open or out.Not sure how anyone can eat the stuff in Potato salad, or otherwise.

YETCH!

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile

puckhead193
Oct 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
mustard i can't even stomach the smell... yuk!
and almost all forms of seafood. (i'm allergic) although i do eat lox and bagels. also sorry in advance to the people down under but Veggie-mite.... how in the world do you guys eat that stuff.

edit - tomatoes... i like pasta sauce and ketchup etc but something about tomatoes...

Dagless
Oct 7, 2008, 12:29 PM

Love it. Mostly on garlic bread, and if your breath stinks after it just have a breathmint, clean your teeth etc. Easily fixed :D

Also curry. Don't like curry. I've tried a few varieties but it just doesn't stick, not really into spicy foods though.

Much Ado
Oct 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
if your breath stinks after it just have a breathmint, clean your teeth etc. Easily fixed :D

It really isn't that simple. Maybe I'm just neurotic.

I do like curry though. Go figure :)

Aeolius
Oct 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
Poultry. I hate the smell, taste, and texture of chicken and turkey meat. However I love eggs for breakfast and keep chickens as pets.

iJohnHenry
Oct 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm the least fussy eater I know, whilst I'll grudgingly eat pork, I draw the line at pork sausages.
Eurgh!

What?? :eek:

Lips and ***holes need love too.

Would you put the floor sweeper out of work!!!! :mad:

Much Ado
Oct 7, 2008, 01:11 PM
What?? :eek:

Lips and ***holes need love too.

Would you put the floor sweeper out of work!!!! :mad:

W. T. F. ?

augustheat
Oct 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Spam and Velveeta Cheese on baguette...

Melrose
Oct 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
^^ That reminds me: American cheese. I refuse to eat American cheese. Blegh..

bigandy
Oct 7, 2008, 01:29 PM

Isn't American Cheese just slightly-more-solid-than-usual butter?

Whatever it is, it's awful.

Rhosfelt
Oct 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
I also don't like too much cheese. Like anything more than extra cheese on pizza makes me sick. I also won't ever order a cheeseburger.

iShater
Oct 7, 2008, 01:35 PM

I love it! :D

BoyBach
Oct 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
W. T. F. ?

iJohnHenry is implying that they use all the er... best bits to make sausages! :eek:

840quadra
Oct 7, 2008, 01:36 PM

You are thinking of velvita which I can stomach much more easily than stinky foot cheese from any nation.

Shadow
Oct 7, 2008, 01:44 PM
Internal organs (pate is fine), lemons and beetroot. Anything else goes down the hatch :D

ezzie
Oct 7, 2008, 01:52 PM
CILANTRO. The worst herb EVER. Disgusting. Tastes like perfume. Definitely at the top of my list of things I won't eat.
ugh...i agree completely. cilantro makes me want to vomit.

i don't eat meat...except for bacon and hot dogs. :o i know, i know...

i absolutely refuse to eat mushrooms, beets, or shellfish/seafood. yuck.

larapumkin
Oct 7, 2008, 01:55 PM

i always go for clear liquor;)
even for tequila, i go for patron silver..mmmmm

glocke12
Oct 7, 2008, 02:08 PM
Sushi!!!

CorvusCamenarum
Oct 7, 2008, 02:16 PM
You are thinking of velvita which I can stomach much more easily than stinky foot cheese from any nation.

You mean the fact that it's labeled "processed american cheese food" doesn't dissuade you from eating it? I mean come on, they have to tell you it's "food" so you don't confuse it with semi-pliable spackle or plumber's compound.

Velveeta is in the same strata as vienna sausages and potted meat.

Much Ado
Oct 7, 2008, 02:42 PM
iJohnHenry is implying that they use all the er... best bits to make sausages! :eek:

I see (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569990) :eek:

it5five
Oct 7, 2008, 02:45 PM

American "cheese" is absolutely disgusting. Thank you for reminding me.

Dmac77
Oct 7, 2008, 03:44 PM
I love veal!

anways, the are following are things that I refuse to eat:

Sushi (i always throw up after eating it)
Onions (They make things that should not be crunchy, crunchy. Plus I hate the taste)
Hot Dogs (just the thought of what is in them)
Jello (it' made of ground up hoofs)
Spaghetti (hate tomato sauce)
Pizza (I'll eat a specialty pizza w/out tomato sauce)
Eggs (the smell of them makes me feel like I'm going to puke)
Chicken Paprikash (just hate the taste)
Liver (just the thought of eating an organ, although I don't mind sweetbreads, or a goose liver paté)

EDIT: I agree with Melrose, american cheese is horrid. Pretty much any cheese in the US is horrid because we pasteurize everything, my family takes a trip to canada every week to get cheese.

Don

pimentoLoaf
Oct 7, 2008, 04:13 PM

Edit: Veal! After I found out more about how it is produced, I refuse to eat it. So probably Foua Gra (sp?) would fall in that list too.

It's called Pâté de foie gras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras).

840quadra
Oct 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
You mean the fact that it's labeled "processed american cheese food" doesn't dissuade you from eating it? I mean come on, they have to tell you it's "food" so you don't confuse it with semi-pliable spackle or plumber's compound.

Velveeta is in the same strata as vienna sausages and potted meat.

I said "stomach more easily". Hardly the same thing as my first choice.

My favorite is Swiss, and I tend to eat quite a bit of that, and sometimes Feta. (yeah it too stinks, but NOT like the cheese coated in green or brown slime (ish!))

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile

iJohnHenry
Oct 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
Huh, no mention of black (blood) pudding yet??

What a shame. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/eating2.gif

anjinha
Oct 7, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not a very picky eater but there quite a few traditional dishes here in Portugal that I absolutely refuse to eat. Luckily nowadays most of them are only common in villages and small towns:

I don't now their names in english so I'm going to try to translate them the best I can:

- Guts
- Dishes with blood
- Snails

I also don't eat sea food that looks too slimy.

Aeolius
Oct 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
Sushi (i always throw up after eating it)
Onions (They make things that should not be crunchy, crunchy. Plus I hate the taste)
Hot Dogs (just the thought of what is in them)
Jello (it' made of ground up hoofs)

While I won't eat chicken, I love sushi... octopus, eel, urchin, conch... yumm!

I can eat an onion like an apple, much to my wife's dismay.

Hot dogs, I agree with.. though an all-beef frank is tolerable. I still admit to a curiosity to try blutwurst, though.

And Jell-O is made from the skins and bones of cows & pigs... not the hooves.

and one of these days I plan to sample haggis.

Dejavu
Oct 7, 2008, 05:46 PM
catfish, clams, lobster, crabs, mussels, etc.

Basically, I don't eat any animal that eats ****!

calculus
Oct 7, 2008, 05:48 PM
Dead animals (or living ones for that matter...)

Melrose
Oct 7, 2008, 05:49 PM

You may be correct, I really don't know. All I know is it's horrible. They call it 'cheese' but it's really just 'cheese-like by-product'

Gray-Wolf
Oct 7, 2008, 07:12 PM
Escargot, Anchovies, Brussels sprouts, Rutabaga, Calamari, Any kind of raw fish, Hot peppers, Caviar, and a few other things. :rolleyes:

Abstract
Oct 7, 2008, 07:51 PM
i don't eat meat...except for bacon and hot dogs. :o i know, i know...

If you are going to eat 2 types of meat, don't eat the meats that are just slightly better than spam. ;)

Melrose
Oct 7, 2008, 09:36 PM
Did anybody already mention blended Scotch?

Sirus The Virus
Oct 7, 2008, 09:47 PM
Any kinda of meat I just can't eat. I will not drink milk.

SilvorX
Oct 8, 2008, 04:17 AM
I just said this in another thread a few minutes ago.
I NEED my burgers to be plain, just the burger and the bun, but maybe bacon and ketchup and/or bbq sauce are required.. I can't stand any kind of cheese on my burger.. if it's a delicious burger, I don't want vegetables or cheese ruining the taste of beef! Fast food restaurants always get my orders wrong, sometimes I feel like I should repeat things 3 times, once again in english, another in french and another in spanish just to get my point across, but it still happens, but I usually just wipe off the gross toppings with napkins anyways.

I don't eat ham, pepperoni, sausage (smokies are fine) because I just don't like the taste.

A food that I'm surprised that I love now is Poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds), I don't like gravy either, but if I find a restaurant that makes a real poutine, lots of times I have to have one
http://www.vladimirzykov.com/files/gimgs/45_poutine.jpg

tyrocks00
Oct 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
I refuse to eat snails or snake. Horrible!!!

pachyderm
Oct 8, 2008, 03:02 PM
lima beans..

Much Ado
Oct 8, 2008, 03:04 PM
How could I forget?

Foie gras!

A food that I'm surprised that I love now is Poutine

Looks nice.

iJohnHenry
Oct 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
Looks terminal. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/prayer.gif

(Yes, I did have it, once.)

SilvorX
Oct 8, 2008, 10:35 PM
Looks nice.

Actually, to most people it looks really disgusting, but as soon as you take the first bite, you get addicted! It's helped with many hangovers and snack cravings this summer

redwarrior
Oct 8, 2008, 10:44 PM
It's helped with many hangovers and snack cravings this summer
Looks terminal to the waist-line though.:o

jb60606
Oct 8, 2008, 11:02 PM
merlot

pachyderm
Oct 9, 2008, 07:35 AM
lima beans..

... macaroni and cheese...

LeahM
Oct 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
Blood Pudding. That stuff looks nasty and in some places the way they make it is disgusting.

And turkey neck, my mother gobbles it down. I think its the way she eats it that grosses me out more then the actually eating of the neck.

leekohler
Oct 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
Blood Sausage
Beets.

Nasty! :)

Eidorian
Oct 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
Raw celery is the worst.

andreab35
Oct 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I won't eat dairy products, because I'm lactose intolerant... unless I take a Lactaid pill. :D

EricNau
Oct 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
I choose not to eat Beef, and I can't stand the taste of fish.

iShater
Oct 9, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'm just hungry now. :D

Beric
Oct 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
I can't stand soft drinks. I hate the "fizzy" carbonation and have since 5 years old. I believe it's because my mom always made me drink soda when I had a fever, because it was supposed to be good for you, or something. But I can't stand it. It's especially annoying when at parties, there's nothing available to drink but soda, not even bottled water. And oftentimes there may be no tap water nearby, or else it tastes bad.

A very inconvenient dislike I would do a lot to change, but people always seem to envy me for having it. :D

pachyderm
Oct 10, 2008, 07:51 AM
Blood Sausage
Beets.

Nasty! :)

but you're a Sith! nothing should bother you!

iJohnHenry
Oct 10, 2008, 08:10 AM
Gagh, never could get into it. :p

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/2/28/Gagh.jpg

pachyderm
Oct 10, 2008, 09:03 AM

boiled rubber bands?

Plymouthbreezer
Oct 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
Of common foods:

• Pork
• Ham
• Veal
• Spinach
• Mayo
• Ketchup
• ANY sort of seafood

me_94501
Oct 10, 2008, 01:33 PM
Egg yolks. I can handle them when incorporated with the white (e.g. scrambled egg), but refuse to eat them otherwise.

comictimes
Oct 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
liver and most seafood. I'm ok with fish, but shellfish (no matter how much I try), lobster, crab, calamari, seaweed... all that stuff makes me want to gag when I try to eat it.

pachyderm
Oct 10, 2008, 01:53 PM

i can't get over this... looks like something satan would eat...

lofight
Oct 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Special cheese, like Goat chese, etc..

nw43
Oct 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
Can't eat mayonnaise. Just the thought of it makes me feel sick. Same goes for eggs.

serzhs
Oct 10, 2008, 03:36 PM

Seems to be you don't like all healthy food. What do you eat? Only stuff that unhealthy, like fast food? Doesn't sounds like you are fussy eater.

reberto
Oct 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'll eat anything as long as it's cooked properly. Now if this was a list of places I refuse to eat, I could name plenty ;)

iJohnHenry
Oct 10, 2008, 05:43 PM
i can't get over this... looks like something satan would eat...

Maybe it would be more appealing if you could see it wriggling??

Worf seems to thrive on it.

scotty96LSC
Oct 10, 2008, 06:02 PM
Turkey a-la-king.

Beric
Oct 10, 2008, 06:39 PM

I'm still laughing from that. :D

Aeolius
Oct 10, 2008, 06:49 PM
dare I say:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/cardscans/fishballs.jpg
more HERE (http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html)

Phillyzero
Oct 10, 2008, 07:43 PM
Though technically not food, I believe it's under "food products", and that's milk. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, just don't like the taste (Whose idea was it anyway to drink the stuff from a cow's breast..)

LeahM
Oct 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
I think I should add Tuna, it smells like a dead mouse (cat dragged one in a couple summers ago).. makes me gag every time I smell it.

jecapaga
Oct 10, 2008, 08:49 PM
Gefilte fish. Have no idea just what it is but they have haunted me from the grocery aisles since I was a kid. Disgusting. Fish in a jelled broth?

63dot
Oct 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
For me, I refuse to eat veal. I saw a news report on it and then read up on it further and just couldn't bring myself to eat it. A recent date took me to a very nice (expensive!) restaurant and we were seated at the chef's table and one of the dishes on the prix fixe menu was veal. I was embarrassed but I asked the chef to substitute something and he was gracious enough to not give me any grief.

I won't eat veal, either even though I think the taste is good.

Stuff I won't eat because I don't like it are licorice, sea urchin, and food that is way too spicy. I can tolerate the hot sauce in Chipotle fast food, but that's not as hot as it gets. A habanero based salsa with too much habanero would not be salsa to me, but more like nuclear waste.

I was once in an English pub way out in the countryside and they had their house curry and I ordered it thinking English food doesn't get "that" hot. It turns out it was so hot that I was slamming the 12% percent hosue beer in order to protect myself. It worked out OK. The only other thing that can take away the burn of an overly spicy food is table sugar, right in the mouth. :)

kfordham281
Oct 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
Peas and Broccoli. The smell and taste of each make me want to gag....

Balty
Oct 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
Gefilte fish. Have no idea just what it is but they have haunted me from the grocery aisles since I was a kid. Disgusting. Fish in a jelled broth?

It's not German, but it's similar. (I speak both English as well as Austrian (which is basically German) :D) .

It's filled fish! :eek: :eek: Gefilte Fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefilte_fish)

mobilehaathi
Oct 10, 2008, 10:14 PM
I do not eat:

All meat
fast food
pretty much anything in a can
CELERY (OMG GROSS)

I do love natto though, as some people above seem to despise. I guess I can see why. It is an acquired taste.

Balty
Oct 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
Ok, it's not food but still,

Milk from 1945! :eek: When I went to Hawaii on tour with a Brass/Wind/Percussion Band from Canberra I saw this in Food Land:

138938 138941

There were also various others from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s! :eek:

bbbensen
Oct 11, 2008, 02:43 AM

Milk from 1945! :eek: When I went to Hawaii on tour with a Brass/Wind/Percussion Band from Canberra I saw this in Food Land:

138938 138941

There were also various others from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s! :eek:

Those arent actually from the 1960s.....

Silly goose. :P

pachyderm
Oct 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
I do not eat:

All meat
fast food
pretty much anything in a can
CELERY (OMG GROSS)

It is an acquired taste.

i see by your sig you live on Earth... just in from Mars, eh? you know those are foods that most Earthlings eat...

Balty
Oct 11, 2008, 06:34 AM
I do love natto though, as some people above seem to despise. I guess I can see why. It is an acquired taste.

Natto..... :eek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Natto_on_rice.jpg

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 11, 2008, 08:11 AM
I cannot eat smoked salmon (or similar smoked fish) or lutefisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk) since an incident a few years ago.

The whole family had - in turn - become violently sick with some kind of "stomach flu", but since it was a few days since the last one had become sick I thought I'd gone clear. So Christmas day we were at the annual lutefisk dinner at my father-in-law-ish's, and later that evening just before we went to bed I had a roll with smoked salmon.

Two hours later I had ran for the bathroom and stayed there for 5 or 6 hours (it all became sort of a blur in the end).

Ever since that it starts tickling at the back of my mouth if I see or smell (or even think of) smoked salmon. A bit sad since I used to like that. :(

Lutefisk, which causes a similar though weaker reaction, on the other hand isn't that much of a loss... ;)

Oh, and I've not tried raw scollops or raw oysters again, since I got severely food poisoned from one or the other at a seafood restaurant last Summer... I can live without ever eating oysters again, as I never really cared for those, but I do like (or did like) scollops... :(

And because of similar reasons I no longer drink gin and bitter lemon or bacardi and coke, but that's for another thread, I guess... ;)

SactoGuy18
Oct 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
There are some foods I will NOT eat for any reason whatsoever: lutefisk and haggis from Scotland come to mind. Why on Earth should I eat fish meat soaked in lye, which is an industrial chemical? :eek:

costabunny
Oct 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
I will not eat black pudding (Gross) and anything that looks at me (or has more that 4 legs) :)

Balty
Oct 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
I cannot eat smoked salmon (or similar smoked fish) or lutefisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk) since an incident a few years ago.

The whole family had - in turn - become violently sick with some kind of "stomach flu", but since it was a few days since the last one had become sick I thought I'd gone clear. So Christmas day we were at the annual lutefisk dinner at my father-in-law-ish's, and later that evening just before we went to bed I had a roll with smoked salmon.

Two hours later I had ran for the bathroom and stayed there for 5 or 6 hours (it all became sort of a blur in the end).

Ever since that it starts tickling at the back of my mouth if I see or smell (or even think of) smoked salmon. A bit sad since I used to like that. :(

Lutefisk, which causes a similar though weaker reaction, on the other hand isn't that much of a loss... ;)

Oh, and I've not tried raw scollops or raw oysters again, since I got severely food poisoned from one or the other at a seafood restaurant last Summer... I can live without ever eating oysters again, as I never really cared for those, but I do like (or did like) scollops... :(

And because of similar reasons I no longer drink gin and bitter lemon or bacardi and coke, but that's for another thread, I guess... ;)

That's not good. But I love smoked salmon, I'm never giving it up.... :D
But with lutefisk, no thanks....

Doctor Q
Oct 12, 2008, 12:47 AM

There were also various others from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s! :eek:I don't want to repeat myself (because I might get in trouble with the moderators), so I'll just link to my previously posted ancient milk report.

Aranince
Oct 12, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hmm...beats, liver, sardines, cat, dog?

I like escargo tho :D

mobilehaathi
Oct 12, 2008, 10:00 AM
i see by your sig you live on Earth... just in from Mars, eh? you know those are foods that most Earthlings eat...

Indeed, I am aware that many eat those items. However, your logic is flawed.

(1) Most people from earth eat X.
(2) I do not eat X.
(3) I am not from earth.

(1) and (2) do not imply (3), since eating X is not a universal characteristic of being from earth.

I don't eat those items because I find them gross, unhealthy, or both. There are some more complicated reasons as well, but those will do. Learn to be logical. Or just don't "other" people who are different from you. It makes you look a bit ignorant, but I hold no hard feelings.:)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
There are some foods I will NOT eat for any reason whatsoever: lutefisk and haggis from Scotland come to mind. Why on Earth should I eat fish meat soaked in lye, which is an industrial chemical? :eek:Nah... lutefisk isn't too bad, really...

Some other parts of Norwegian "cuisine" are harder to appreciate: Rakfisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk) (which makes lutefisk seem like fresh fish), Gammalost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammelost) (which my 93 year old grandmother loves) and Smalahove (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalahove) (a speciality from Voss, close to Bergen) comes to mind...

Now, some of those I might refuse to eat because of taste/appearance alone... ;)

Beric
Oct 12, 2008, 10:28 AM
Though technically not food, I believe it's under "food products", and that's milk. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, just don't like the taste (Whose idea was it anyway to drink the stuff from a cow's breast..)

Well, you'd better not say that around me. I drink an average of almost a half-gallon of milk every day. My parents say it's the reason I'm so tall. The only drink I like better is 100% grape juice. :p

MagicWok
Oct 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
I refuse to eat American chocolate lol. It tastes awful compared to the stuff we get in the UK. My preference :p

The other is Liver or Durian. Both are evil. Especially Durian....

Otherwise I'm fairly open to almost anything lol

iJohnHenry
Oct 12, 2008, 10:48 AM
My, isn't that scrumptious-looking??

NOT!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

PowerFullMac
Oct 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cauliflower and cheese... Makes me throw up.

I suppose I could also say any meat because I am vegetarian.

sushi
Oct 12, 2008, 11:43 AM
I used to be the same way before I came to Japan.

With my friends, I started out with Yakitori style liver with either a sauce or salt flavoring added. Not bad. I was surprised.

Then I went on to raw liver. So good. :)

My favorite of the raw foods is basashi which is basically raw horse meat served sushi or sashimi style.

As for foods that I won't eat, one comes to mind. A chunk of kazunoko (http://japanesefood.about.com/library/pictures/blkazunoko.htm) (herring roe). Those little yellow eggs popping in my mouth just doesn't cut it. Now a thin layer on seaweed is okay and quite tasty.

SactoGuy18
Oct 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
Nah... lutefisk isn't too bad, really...

Actually, one big problem with lutefisk is some people try to make it using cod, which is asking for trouble because cod fish combined with any form of natural lye results in a quite pungent smell. I believe most Norwegians prefer haddock or pollock fish to make lutefisk, mostly because you avoid that smell.

SactoGuy18
Oct 12, 2008, 09:54 PM
My, isn't that scrumptious-looking??

NOT!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

I've eaten Durian and it's not bad--once you get over the smell. ;) Mind you, don't you dare open a durian fruit in a closed room because it will clear everyone out in no time flat. :o

Watabou
Oct 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm fine with chicken, beef, turkey and ham.

For vegetables, I can eat almost anything including sprouts and broccoli.

I don't like the smell of seafood and I don't eat any.
Insects just plain scare me :(

Mammoth
Oct 13, 2008, 12:59 AM
Most vegetables, fruits, and absolutely no seafood. Cheese is almost always a no save for pizza and stuff like that, and milk is only good if it's chocolate milk.

Yeah I'm messed up.. :D

sushi
Oct 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
and absolutely no seafood.
So you eat nothing from the sea.

I can't imagine going through life without eating seafood.

There so many different kinds of fish and shellfish to chose from. Yum.

Aeolius
Oct 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
...I had ran for the bathroom...it all became sort of a blur in the end...

That sort of puts it all in perspective. :D