Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOSoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Hi All,

I’ve been having some frustration with my 3.5-year-old iBook lately. It’s a 1.33 GHz G4 upgraded to 1.25 GB of RAM running 10.4.11. 14” screen, 60GB hard drive. I also have an external hard drive for backup purposes.

I’m a senior studying Finance and MIS, so I do a LOT of work in Excel. Now the main problem I have is that Excel (2008) takes FOREVER to start up. I don’t know if this will be improved with a new computer or not. I also have a small screen (14”) which makes it tough to cross-reference spreadsheets and word documents. I also work with kind of large data sets. I have to use it to watch DVDs for class (Arabic language) and I enjoy tinkering with Photoshop.

I’m sure that the laptop could last a few more years, but I’ve wanted to upgrade to the Intel chips and leopard for a while now. Not to mention it would allow me to play some Civilization 4, which I miss a lot and can’t run currently. I’m also torn with the fact that my laptop SHOULD hopefully last another 2 years before it dies. I know that it won’t be able to run Snow Leopard when that comes out, so it’s pretty much at the end of its upgrades.

So I am considering buying an iMac as a main hub for work and keeping my iBook for travel and library trips. The iMac could do the heavy lifting and then I would not have to upgrade my laptop for a long time. I’m also tired of having a laptop. I don’t bring it out of my room much unless I’m going on a trip somewhere, so I’m more of a desktop person. And I think I’d prefer a 24”. Not sure why, but I feel like I might as well go big or go home. And I think that I’ll ultimately wait for the updates to come out later in the month to buy.

So should I buy an iMac? 20” or 24”? New or Refurb? Maybe just suck it up and stick with the iBook for a while longer? I'd appreciate any input.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
If you have some cash to spend, then by all means do the upgrade. You can even recoup some money by selling your current iBook.

However, if the money is tight, then the single most effective solution would be to dump Office 2008 and go with 04 instead. Just by doing that your computing experience will be enhanced significantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.