Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzmansg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I'm off to Iraq in a few weeks and considering buying a MacBook and iPod. Does anyone know if they will work with a 220V outlet? Do I have to buy a special converter? Thanks to anyone who can help!

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Apple World Travel Adapter Kit for $39 will do the trick. Macbook power adapters actually support 110-240V so the only problem is with the plug. This kit solves the problem.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
All Apple products come with power adapters that will work with:

Voltage --> 100-240 Volts

Hertz --> 50-60 Hz

So you should be okay electricity wise.

You may need to get an adapter for their particular prong configuration.

JNB

macrumors 604
Depending on your specific location (which includes the majority of the region), you want to also get exceptional dust protection for times they're not in use (there's not much in the way of things you can use while powered up without overheating). When I was in theater, that was the single largest killer of electronics, and occupied an inordinate amount of time in preventative maintenance. Unless, of course, you'll be in hotels or mostly at sea the majority of the time. Make sure you've always got a good, current backup!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
When I was there in 2005-2006, a lot of us bought "converter boxes" and we plugged our spike bars into that to power our electronics. Depending on where you're going, outgoing units generally leave behind a lot of these devices because they take up space and are of no longer use once you get back stateside.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Converter should be fine - or, if you're going to be living on base, you may be fine with standard U.S. plugs. I've heard both from returning Marines. As another poster mentioned, the biggest complaint I've heard is the dust. If you can't ensure that your MB is going to be in a relatively clean environment, you might be better off picking up a cheap PC notebook and taking that. You'll also be able to charge your iPod from whatever laptop you take, so that's not a concern.

However, if you do take a PCbook, then remember that those power supplies may not be universal - you'd have to check with the manufacturer.

I won't say "stay safe", because that's the whole point, but remember when to duck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.