Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlashGordon7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi all,

Just registered on the forum. I recently bought an iPhone 3G and absolutely love it, and its given me a real appreciation of the usability and style of Mac products. So I thought I would buy a Mac Mini to compliment my Dell XPS Laptop so I can get the best of both worlds. Figured it was a relatively cheap way of getting the benefits of working with a Mac.

I have read a lot of good reviews of the Mac Mini, but it does seem that it's kind of regarded as the poor relation, not really getting any major updates. I also wondered if the graphics chips are going to be getting an upgrade in the near future, which again would make me hold off buying one.

I would really appreciate people's thoughts,

Thanks very much

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Wait a little bit to see what happens with the new Macbooks, Apple might release a new mini at the same time.

Note that there are no rumors about a new mini, just my guess.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Definitely wait.
If they are dropped, then just get a refurb.
Even a processor update should be quite a dramatic improvement considering it's been so long since modern parts were used.

FlashGordon7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hmmmm....recommendation is don't buy now.

Problem is, whilst it can be seen that after 427 days you would expect an update very soon, the fact there has been so little news about any prospective updates does make me think Apple really aren't going to bothering with this. Not sure that info encourages me to go out and get one at all :(

FlashGordon7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
No I meant it doesn't encourage me to get one even if they give it a small update in the near future, as its not something that Apple seem to bothered about promoting and putting their time and effort into.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
It should happen the same day as the other updates. Probably just a simple bump to 2.1 and 2.4 processors, more RAM on the upper model, bigger hard drives, and the X3100 graphics.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The mini is a good little computer. I bought one just after they were updated last year, the base model. It does the job and I run my 23" monitor off it. Unless you're doing anything particularly, madly intensive, you'll be fine.

If you can wait, I probably would (at least until the Macbooks get bumped). Apple can't keep selling an uncompetitive computer, surely? On the other hand, if you've got the money, are unconcerned about depreciation, and want one now then go ahead.

phifer8390

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Hi all,

Just registered on the forum. I recently bought an iPhone 3G and absolutely love it, and its given me a real appreciation of the usability and style of Mac products. So I thought I would buy a Mac Mini to compliment my Dell XPS Laptop so I can get the best of both worlds. Figured it was a relatively cheap way of getting the benefits of working with a Mac.

I have read a lot of good reviews of the Mac Mini, but it does seem that it's kind of regarded as the poor relation, not really getting any major updates. I also wondered if the graphics chips are going to be getting an upgrade in the near future, which again would make me hold off buying one.

Thanks very much

Flash,
I was in the same boat. I am pretty big into computers and electronics. I got an iPhone and wanted to try out a mac. I looked at Craigslist and I found an old G4 iMac. I played with it for a couple weeks and I am really enjoying it. Or should I say I was enjoying it. I just sold it on e-bay and bought a newer, but still old iMac to replace it. I also installed Mac OS X Leopard on my HP laptop. It has 2 hard drives and one is for OS X. I don't have wireless drivers for it yet but it works fine plugged directly into my switch. I would suggest trying it out. If not installing it on your Dell then maybe look for an older Mac. I paid 150 for it and sold it for 180 plus shipping. You will get a good idea of what you are getting into. Even the fact that it was an 700Mhz machine it still ran pretty fast. Just my 2 cents!

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
yeah for what you are getting in the macmini now, you are WAY over paying. its embarrassing how neglected the mini has become. dont buy it now. MWSF will probably bring an update.

but glad you are making the switch!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I got a Mini early this year and upgraded to an iMac a few months after.

The mini is a great little mac but the lack of a dedicated graphics chip, 1GB ram and lack of a DVD writer (on the low end model) made me jump to the iMac. I also prefer the iMac thanks to not having untidy wires hanging out of the thing!

It is a wonderful machine and I'm sure if it has a refresh any time soon it would be a worthy buy.

tdevers

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
I plan on purchasing a refurbished base model around Christmas regardless of refresh or not. I don't need any more power than it already has for what I do.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If you are going to buy get a refurb when they become available. 'New' minis just aren't worth the price.

NyMetsFan08

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I just bought a brand new mac mini myself that I did not even open yet at all because I have a feeling something might happen next week on October 14th who knows what? most likely macbooks and mac mini.

Mercer

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
North West, UK
I was looking to purchase a mini to replace my ever **** pc tower that ive owed for 6 years haha. i have an iphone 3G and Macbook, Just wanted something for general use whilst i save up for something that would be considered as a "gaming rig" haha :)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Hi all,

Thanks very much

If you can get great deals on eBay or craigslist, you can pick it up... otherwise you should wait and see

FlashGordon7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I can afford to wait really. I have a pretty decent Dell XPS laptop that is more than capable of running all my essentials, but would like to start using some Mac software to see how it compares. Roll on October 14th............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.