PDA

View Full Version : 90% of CPU time being used by 'mach_msg_trap'

PaperFace
Oct 7, 2008, 09:52 AM
Decided to run a few performance tests on a game I'm writing, and noticed in the CPU test it says mach_msg_trap is taking up 88% of the CPU time.

Had a google and found a couple of similar questions, but neither got a solid response. Is this normal? and if not, any ideas what could be causing it?

I'm writing a game which runs on a timer, doubt it has much idle time between frames as I'm pushing the hardware (both cpu and the powervr) a fair bit.

Encryptic
Oct 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
Decided to run a few performance tests on a game I'm writing, and noticed in the CPU test it says mach_msg_trap is taking up 88% of the CPU time.

Had a google and found a couple of similar questions, but neither got a solid response. Is this normal? and if not, any ideas what could be causing it?

I'm writing a game which runs on a timer, doubt it has much idle time between frames as I'm pushing the hardware (both cpu and the powervr) a fair bit.

I don't have much information for you, but the sound of "mach_msg_trap" sounds to me like the following, it sounds like the an OS level Interrupt/Trap which is signaling your timer. I believe that from previous experience in OS X "Mach" is the Kernel.

Sorry I can't be more help!