PDA

View Full Version : Killing myself (dark hummor)

mymemory
May 30, 2002, 01:11 PM
A long time ago when I was in primary school I was sitting on the campus with my friends at that time. For some reason some one said "he felt like wanted to kill him self" and he started to say the reasons (most of them because of school grades). Even it was a heavy topic for 10 year old kids, we where all agree and we where thinking about the same way (not about hi killing him self). Of course we where loughing about it because we all where having troulbles with out parents and school.

That picture have been in my mind (my memory) since then. Lately, I have been feeling very desperate about my situation (specially the political, social and economic) and in this moment I recall those days. And right now I have found the perfect answer "why no one should think about killing it self":

If you kill your self and the re-encarnation becomes true after all, you may end up living in a geto or in a place much worse than the one you are living now, just because 80% of the world population makes less than $8 a month, doesn't have services, education, you would live with 9 brothers or sisters, no internet, no Macs (no even news about them), no car, no tv, your mother would be ugly and your father an alcholic (if you find him), no rights, you will sleep on the flor and for sure you are gonna live in a place under war.

So, if you ever think about it even as a joke, think twice.

I rather preffer my actual situation. :D

What do you think?

edesignuk
May 30, 2002, 01:15 PM
Wise words.
There is always someone, somewhere going to be having a harder time than you...well most of the time.

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

I rather preffer my actual situation. :D

What do you think?

I always feel that the future is much better & brighter than the alternative...

besides...I don't have it in me to actually end my own life...not that I have never thought about it in the past during tough times...

but u only get one life...live it to it's fullest potential...don't throw it all away....nothing is worth doing that...

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 01:26 PM
Being reincarnated as a slum dweller wouldn't be a good reason for not killing yourself. If you're healthy and have any talent, no matter how difficult things are now, they're bound to get better. And if you let them stay the same, well that's your own falt.

Carpe Diem - make your own fate....

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Carpe Diem - make your own fate....

nice put! :D

I'm an avid believer in fate myself...so I always try to justify anything negative happening to me as part of the plan...

but I do believe that one can take certain measures that will bring them down different avenues...

mischief
May 30, 2002, 01:40 PM
1.: "The right thing is always happening."

2.: When confronted with duality: " All things are true, the trick is finding out how much is relevant."

3rdpath
May 30, 2002, 01:42 PM
i think that suicide has very little to do with what you have or where you live...its much deeper and emotional than that.

i've had two friends die and one attempt suicide and none of them were in horrible living conditions( in the external sense). they were all talented( some extremely so), nice looking, popular(one was a cheerleader in school) and from successful families. so why did they do it? what is so painful about living that the only escape is killing yourself? i don't know and i'm not sure if anyone who hasn't seriously been in that state of mind could ever know.

i do know that many people tried to help them( myself included). i continue to try to help my friend who survived but i'm no closer to understanding why. and i don't think he really knows...there are medications that help but sometimes at a high cost(emotionally speaking).

its not a perfect world but there is much love and beauty here. and there are always people who care.

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by mischief
1.: "The right thing is always happening."

2.: When confronted with duality: " All things are true, the trick is finding out how much is relevant."

that first one sounds awfully familiar...hmmm... ;)

seriously...it's a great way to look at what's going on in your life though...I always say...everything that has happened to me has brought me to here...and then I see the great things I have going for me...and it makes it all worth it...

if it doesn't kill u...it only makes u wiser... ;)

mymemory
May 30, 2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I always feel that the future is much better & brighter than the alternative...

Yeah, but you live in a place where the most powerfull resource of production is you. I live in a place where the state based everything on oil. I do not mean I'm in such bad situation personally but it was an event in my life that called my attention a lot, finding out how similar we are from each other.

Something that I'm discussing right now in this country (and the reason why I may be living it soon), is that the politicians still focusing the success of the venezuelan economy on the price of the oil. Now, I had a heavy debate yesterday in the chamber of comerce infront of 300 people because, the only good things Venezuela is succesfull is exporting oil and winning Miss Universe contest (and now Rusia is selling oil to the US and won the Miss Universe contest last night). On the other hand, if you go to the US you will see how efficient and proffesional the workers are, the Space Shouttle is man made, the internet is man made, what have we build in Venezuela to share with the world?

I live in a place when your intelect is not important and that implies a lot. The actual goverment want less educated people to be able to manipulate them easily. So, my social depression is that all what I'm doing right now is not worth it. Recalling, I'm not thinking in killing my self. The good thing is that I can move from here as soon I get my papers, but nothing like home. So, that is live.

Hemingray
May 30, 2002, 01:58 PM
As far as we truly KNOW, we've only got one shot at this life. Whether we're reincarnated, go to purgatory, go to heaven/hell, or nothing happens, we need to make good with what we know: the here and now. If your mind is strong enough, there is very little that we can't survive (except things of which we have no control). At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :)

In short, always hang in there.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

I live in a place when your intelect is not important and that implies a lot. The actual goverment want less educated people to be able to manipulate them easily. So, my social depression is that all what I'm doing right now is not worth it. Recalling, I'm not thinking in killing my self. The good thing is that I can move from here as soon I get my papers, but nothing like home. So, that is live.

Well, if you feel strongly about this, stand up and make a difference and stop complaining. Even if you the smallest part of enacting change in a positive direction, you can say you've accomplished something good.

Leave a legacy that says this is what is good and right - give reason for people to put faith in you, and you will be a happier person.

cleo
May 30, 2002, 02:07 PM
In Buddhism, suicide is not likely to land you in the ghetto in your next life. Birth as a human is a great privilege and is even better than being a god or demi-god. One who commits suicide disregards the benefit of human life for attaining liberation, and further commits a great act of violence. Depending on his or her previous karmic ties, he or she would likely be reincarnated at the very least as an animal (as the animal realm is characterized by ignorance and self-concern) and at the worst in the hot or cold hells.

</Buddhism lesson of the day> :D

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:09 PM
good point...

But I suppose then it's all relative to the person...u seem to be an intelligent person who can tell what's going on with a rational sense of self & being. One's surroundings can have great impact upon how they percieve the world and how they feel emotionally, but to me it seems the ones can separate their emotions from reality are the ones who will get through.

It's tough to be strong...especially in today's world. I know it's been said numerous times here mymemory...but have u really ever considered leaving your country and starting a life here?

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by cleo
In Buddhism, suicide is not likely to land you in the ghetto in your next life. Birth as a human is a great privilege and is even better than being a god or demi-god. One who commits suicide disregards the benefit of human life for attaining liberation, and further commits a great act of violence. Depending on his or her previous karmic ties, he or she would likely be reincarnated at the very least as an animal (as the animal realm is characterized by ignorance and self-concern) and at the worst in the hot or cold hells.

Very interesting. So if reincarnated in the animal realm, is it possible to get back into the human realm after a few more lives? I've always been intrigued by the whole Buddhist religion, but never really learned much.

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:12 PM
Birth as a human is a great privilege and is even better than being a god or demi-god. One who commits suicide disregards the benefit of human life for attaining liberation, and further commits a great act of violence.

That's a highly interesting take on it cleo. To be completely honest, I'd really like to learn more about Budhist ways. I don't follow one religion, but I have my beliefs & reservations about everything...so one could call it "Eye-ism?"

ok...bad joke...but seriously...

being reincarnated as an animal...is there a theory on redemtion as an animal?

Macmaniac
May 30, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

That's a highly interesting take on it cleo. To be completely honest, I'd really like to learn more about Budhist ways. I don't follow one religion, but I have my beliefs & reservations about everything...so one could call it "Eye-ism?"

ok...bad joke...but seriously...

being reincarnated as an animal...is there a theory on redemtion as an animal?

I have heard that in the Budhist religion you should kill flies because they could be your ancestors and by doing so you move them to better life.(I am not sure if this is what the Budhists said if it is not I do not mean any harm)
I myself am thankful for being in this world and that I have been given a chance to make a difference.

cleo
May 30, 2002, 02:29 PM

Very interesting. So if reincarnated in the animal realm, is it possible to get back into the human realm after a few more lives? I've always been intrigued by the whole Buddhist religion, but never really learned much.

Absolutely. That's the thing... the whole of the dharma can be summarized by saying "nothing is permanent" - that goes for everything, including the different realms. The Shakyamuni Buddha (the historical Buddha) himself lived as a god for many many lifetimes before cultivating the aspiration to be liberated. Of the six realms, the human realm is the most suited to those seeking liberation; the upper realms of the gods and demi-gods are generally too pleasant to inspire the desire to escape samsara, and the lower realms of the animals, the hungry ghosts, and the hot and cold hells are too painful to even think about practice.

If you're interested, there's a book called "Entering the Stream" (which was actually developed as a companion to the movie "Little Buddha" but is quite authoritative) that has short articles on all of the history, schools, introduction to practices, etc of Buddhism.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:32 PM

If you're interested, there's a book called "Entering the Stream" (which was actually developed as a companion to the movie "Little Buddha" but is quite authoritative) that has short articles on all of the history, schools, introduction to practices, etc of Buddhism.

Cool, thanks cleo. Its on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-5785837-4682309

I'll probably pick it up at a local store if they have it. When I finish reading it we'll have to start a buddha thread......

but don't do that until I'm ready!

cleo
May 30, 2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

I have heard that in the Budhist religion you should kill flies because they could be your ancestors and by doing so you move them to better life.(I am not sure if this is what the Budhists said if it is not I do not mean any harm)
I myself am thankful for being in this world and that I have been given a chance to make a difference.

It's actually the exact opposite. One of the greatest virtues in Buddhism is metta (or maitri), which is commonly translated as "loving-kindness" or "compassion." We learn to develop metta by understanding that all beings were once in the past or will be in the future our mothers. The gentleness and goodwill we (should, at least) have for our mother should be extended to all sentient beings. There are specific meditative practices that help cultivate metta.

In addition, Buddhists, like Hindus (for Buddhism really grew out of Hindu India) believe quite strongly in nonviolence, although like all rule, the rule of nonviolence can be broken if holding to it causes moe harm than not. At any rate, it is best to avoid killing as much as possible. Many Buddhists are vegetarians, although the teaching is that if meat has been prepared at a meal you are attending, and the animal was not killed specifically for you, it is worse to reject the host's hospitality than to partake in the meat. Interesting, eh?

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:37 PM
is the book really informative for someone who knows nothing except for what he learned here on macrumors??

anyway...I find that the ability to go from one afterlife to another very intriguing...

do those who die happily w/good karma have any choices in their afterlife cleo?

cleo
May 30, 2002, 02:38 PM

Cool, thanks cleo. Its on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-5785837-4682309

I'll probably pick it up at a local store if they have it. When I finish reading it we'll have to start a buddha thread......

but don't do that until I'm ready!

Rock on! I can't wait. :D If you're really interested, I would also suggest reading some Thich Nhat Hanh or Pema Chodron. The Dalai Lama has also witten lots and lots, but he's a bit strict for me (as Tibetans tend to be). :)

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

In addition, Buddhists, like Hindus (for Buddhism really grew out of Hindu India) believe quite strongly in nonviolence, although like all rule, the rule of nonviolence can be broken if holding to it causes moe harm than not. At any rate, it is best to avoid killing as much as possible. Many Buddhists are vegetarians, although the teaching is that if meat has been prepared at a meal you are attending, and the animal was not killed specifically for you, it is worse to reject the host's hospitality than to partake in the meat. Interesting, eh?

ok...I hadn't gotten to read this much when posting last...but still very interesting...

why so looked down upon rejecting the host's offering though?

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:50 PM
Rock on! I can't wait. :D If you're really interested, I would also suggest reading some Thich Nhat Hanh or Pema Chodron. The Dalai Lama has also witten lots and lots, but he's a bit strict for me (as Tibetans tend to be). :)

Whoa there. Let me get through the first book before you start getting all excited;) Well, more excited, ha. And no calling me grasshopper or any such thing.....

I am interested, but like all religious things (from my point of view) its a personal journey. I'm very analytical in this regard - strange since I'm artistic as well - so I form my own conclusions and ideas. I've had some really strange experiences that make me believe that there is so much more we aren't aware of, I just don't know where to look to find out the answers to the questions....

mischief
May 30, 2002, 03:27 PM
That reminds me.

I was thinking about Crystal Spheres and Karma. One of the best tools available to a GOD would be to "curse" players with animal forms, no skills or Magic, just the natural abilities. Leave them with speech so they can ask for help. Very effective for "power Gamers".

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by mischief
That reminds me.

I was thinking about Crystal Spheres and Karma. One of the best tools available to a GOD would be to "curse" players with animal forms, no skills or Magic, just the natural abilities. Leave them with speech so they can ask for help. Very effective for "power Gamers".

Or 'Wonder Twin Powers Activate...' where you can't do anything unless you have another 'cursed' player there.

But some forms would be better than others and maybe even needed to do certain quests/tasks. Piss off a GOD and get turned into a rat, so you can sneak by the wards and get to something good....